mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #845 (isolation #0) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:50 pm

Post by mastina »

My internet selected a bad time to have an outage. :(

Oh well. Once Datisi went down we lost. (We needed him alive for at least one more day to get a chance at winning.)
In post 28, Lukewarm wrote:So, makes me think that I was not killed on the basis of being a tracker.
Not specifically, no. We just wanted to keep the gamestate as close to neutral as possible, leave as many TvT fights as possible, so I figured "the least-info kill to make would be to park a kill on the council every night" because it made sense that lacking any town player needing the nightkill, scum would kill on the council.

And then it created a convenient narrative after that.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #846 (isolation #1) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:02 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 159, Lukewarm wrote:Just saw that Datisi copped Mastina, and I lowkey want to call it a scum claim :dead: :dead:
Well it almost won us the game and by all rights
should've
--LLD never read any of the PTs in the game, and the wagon on Datisi was entirely mechbased rather than read-based and there were 13 alive so by all rights there was no reason for the town to eliminate Datisi then.

'Course, it was what kept the town from losing because we legit had a chance to potentially win the game, but this is legit the largest crushing defeat I've ever felt in a scumgame ever. I don't think you'll see scumastina trying ever again. (Granted town mastina has decided to quit playing as well, so like.) I'm kinda just...done at this point.

Town's not worth the destruction to my life.
Scum's not worth the effort.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #847 (isolation #2) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:08 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 256, MathBlade wrote:Mastina you were the chosen one. C’mon Mastina do your usual why did I die? I never die :(
Because I knew exactly why you died. :P

I didn't want you to shake up the gamestate--granted, there was a decent chance you'd have done so in our favor, but I wanted the
current
gamestate preserved, specifically for the narrative that you would've shaken things up, so that it'd keep things as neutral as possible.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #850 (isolation #3) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:11 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 259, RH9 wrote:I just realised that scum has been NKing every single Town Tracker. One would think that they're trying to get a scum Tracker.
We sure wanted that narrative! :P

Ironically, the scum tracker power was legit the most worthless of them to have, so no, we didn't want it. And no, we didn't fear the tracker tracking on the council, either. One of the scum's powers was an ability that would nullify the tracker's track if need be. We didn't care about town having it, we didn't want it, but giving the
narrative
we wanted it? That, that was worth it. xD
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #851 (isolation #4) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:14 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 266, JunkoChan wrote:
In post 3383, Roden wrote:Who's scumsiding?
Unironically I feel like pushing Datisi was in fact scumsiding because from a mechanical AND play viewpoint it was the worst possible elimination to make--so it was explicitly from an uninformed perspective, scumsiding by being the most pro-scum action possible.

But because Datisi happened to be scum, the play which should've been loses-the-town-the-game-worthy, instead won them the game.

And I'm just. I'm not really in the mood to really engage with mafia talk ever again after it tbh.

When the wrong play wins the town the game, and you're the losing faction because of a wrong-town-play that happens to work...not fun.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #852 (isolation #5) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:20 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 336, JunkoChan wrote:if mafia has any of this 4, they win datisi, firebringer vp baltar guiltylion
We should've!

We had counterplay to the town wanting to eliminate Datisi at 9p/10p and were prepared to enact a plan for a win prior to that.

There wasn't anything to be done with Datisi eliminated at 13p because that was an action
no sane town
should've ever taken. It wasn't optimal; it wasn't the correct move by any theory and it ignored dayplay altogether.

And it felt like there was just...nothing to be done and I'm just...done.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #853 (isolation #6) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:26 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 373, Lukewarm wrote:@pooky
Can I request a reveal of what the scum team gets out of each council role in here?
For the record, literally every single power would've been a scumclaim to use, with half of them as worthless. The only usage they really had was to bring lylo early. I'm pretty sure we mathematically had an autowin at 10p going into the night, and there was a
chance
we could have
potentially
won at 12p going into night. (It'd require everything going right tho. Some things would be out of the scum's hands, and we'd need the town's help in order to push that through.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #854 (isolation #7) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:29 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 396, JunkoChan wrote:
In post 395, unwnd wrote:It's because Datisi can't be NK'ed because he's scum with Firebringer oh you've shit this from me before
and mastina is cop check and still alive too
Btw part of the reason for that check was, specifically, because we figured that "mastina is antitown enough that even as conftown she wouldn't be nightkilled" would be strong in this playerlist. Just among flipped town, VP Baltar would be the type to argue this for instance. Unflipped players also have a few who would push that.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #855 (isolation #8) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:31 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 424, Lukewarm wrote:Although there were a few people that were refusing to read you two independently from one another (*subtweets Mastina and Drapion*)
I was disappointed VP died in that duel because pushing the narrative that VP and GL were scum together was very convenient for me. :(
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #856 (isolation #9) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:34 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 466, VP Baltar wrote:Wow, pooky says yall are bad at mafia
Seeing the dead PT here and knowing the full scumteam, I'm pretty sure most guess totals are quite low indeed. :P
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #858 (isolation #10) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:38 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 490, Lukewarm wrote:I feel like you are judging it a little prematurely since we don't know what scum PR abilities do, so they totally could have counterplay in there.
To follow the cop? Actually no. The only scum role that could've fucked with follow the cop was...on the cop itself. We couldn't generate false innocents or false guilties with other council positions, but the cop position had the power to.

Which is, ah, well. Not quite optimal to be frank.

Imo if the tracker/cop scum powers were swapped, it'd have been better. The tracker scum power was worthless, the cop scum power was redundant with holding the position of cop in the first place.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #860 (isolation #11) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:42 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 495, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:like yes if town somehow all id each other and give the power roles to the right players and play optimally it is very hard for scum to win. but like the whole point of being scum is to disrupt that....
Remember when I argued this and the town said I was wrong about it, Pooky?

It's almost like I knew your philosophy better than they did. :P
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #861 (isolation #12) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:47 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 526, Lukewarm wrote:
In post 522, VP Baltar wrote:
In post 517, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:today might be elo
Wild
I am trying to wrap my head around how it could be elo with us at 14 alive, and 4 scum lol
Three scum council powers gave scum powers of killing a slot.
With me as Prince, Shea being overthrown gives me the execute, so normal nightkill + 3 scum kills + me in control of council = scum sweep suddenly.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #862 (isolation #13) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:52 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 585, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:Maybe they are playing it slow
We were.

I wasn't even planning on pulling the trigger on a 12p(in night) attempt at winning the game--it apparently would've worked, but I sure as fuck didn't want to risk it.

But we knew Datisi was in a very good position, and that we had the towncred to last at least another day.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #864 (isolation #14) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:55 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 600, Lukewarm wrote:It just will blow my mind if all three of fire, dats, and mastina are town who all individually came to the decision that definitively aiming both protectives of the night in the council pt is a Good Plan, with none of them thinking maybe it should be done a little more subtly, just in case.
I mean, we wanted to set up an excuse to get me off of protecting Datisi permanently. Having it work once by stopping a kill (btw we really did submit a kill and it really did fail) would set us up to do the same thing the next night--opening us up to a win.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #865 (isolation #15) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:59 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 633, Lukewarm wrote:
In post 28, Lukewarm wrote:So, I think if "scum killed because tracker" then it points most to Datisi, I feel like it was pretty easy to put together that if I was funded the same day he was funded, I was tracking him. And presumably, what ever PR he gained as scum, the ideal target would not be an ideal cop target too.
Ironically, we didn't fear the tracker at all because we just used the cop power as a cop power instead of the scum power by and large. The reason for the tracker kill was convenience. Nothing more, nothing less. The kill that was most convenient to make that was a plausible hit on the council without stirring up waves.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #866 (isolation #16) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:00 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 639, Datisi wrote:anyway uh this game has me SERIOUSLY contemplating whether it's time for retirement
Wayyyyyy ahead of you there, mate.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #867 (isolation #17) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:01 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 649, Datisi wrote:
In post 648, VP Baltar wrote:We're you ever going to kill me?
no, we were intending to keep you alive. at the time of discussing nightkills, anyway.
Yeah I hard-vetoed the idea of ever killing VP Baltar here.

There was one instance which would allow us to have justified it, but in all other cases, I was vehemently against it; we wanted VP Baltar alive unless it was the town to end his life.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #869 (isolation #18) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:05 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 651, Lukewarm wrote:I feel like
"Scum!cop is scared that a tracker will plant themselves on them" is a pretty self contained explanation for most of this games kills lol
You forget that scumastina always tells the truth in her role and encourages her scumbuddies to do the same--including having Datisi actually check the targets. :P

Tracker couldn't have caught us this game at all. Well maybe it could've caught the non-council members by tracking them, which was a genuine concern, but tracker tracking the council wasn't a concern of ours at all. We had counterplay and there was nothing stopping us from just...truthfully claiming our night actions.

When scum can tell the truth, it's the zone I thrive in and we could tell the truth in actions this game so the tracker was never a threat to us while Datisi was alive.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #870 (isolation #19) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:10 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 717, Andresvmb wrote:mastina is always Town, and the Town are pulling a defeat from the jaws of victory here. Also both Scum are on mastina right now.
This game has been a case of "town doing actions which should be pulling a defeat from the jaws of victory, which are actually actions that pull victory from the jaws of defeat".
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #871 (isolation #20) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:17 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 755, Lukewarm wrote:I would almost feel bad for the scum team if they end up losing just because mastina was not able to log on in time to just instant execute
Oh, me being able to execute would certainly have helped, but we basically lost once Datisi died--

I almost didn't log in at all once the Datisi lim went through.
I almost didn't bother with scum actions at all.
I almost didn't bother at all with anything.

scumastina notoriously doesn't give up. She fights to the bitter end. Even when she's literally conftown she tends to still try and fight her way out of it.

But here I did, once Datisi died.

It was that crushing.

I literally just. Gave up.

Granted, I realized the game was theoretically winnable even with the Datisi lim if specific circumstances came to pass--so I still did check in with scum actions anyway.

But they were paltry efforts. They weren't the "okay this is probably lost but here's how we might win it"; they were "alright so this is technically not autolost so I should still submit".
I almost didn't tho. I almost did nothing. I almost just let it happen, because...I lost the will to fight, to live, to exist. I just.
I already lost my reason to exist as town-mastina; this game was my hope that at least I had reason to exist in games at all. But this has left me...just. I don't know why I bother. I don't think I will anymore.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #872 (isolation #21) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:18 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 764, VP Baltar wrote:
In post 760, Andresvmb wrote:Isn’t it just an auto loss at this point?
I would probably just concede if I was scum. You can't get out of this.
I almost did and felt like doing it by proxy.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #873 (isolation #22) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:20 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 872, mastina wrote:
In post 764, VP Baltar wrote:
In post 760, Andresvmb wrote:Isn’t it just an auto loss at this point?
I would probably just concede if I was scum. You can't get out of this.
I almost did and felt like doing it by proxy.
(For how significant this is, I am vehemently against scum ever conceding. I ADAMANTLY refuse to accept scum conceding. I don't allow it as a moderator and I never allow it as a player.

Here I almost did.

I'm that shattered.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #874 (isolation #23) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:21 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 774, MathBlade wrote:I am more shocked Mastina didn’t instant queue a day action to kill a conf town.
Oh I'm sure I would've--if not for the fact that our fucking internet for the
second time in one week
had an outage last OVER TWELVE HOURS.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #876 (isolation #24) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:30 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 781, Andresvmb wrote:and a lot of us fell into thinking mastina was Town when they were acting completely anti-Town and nonsensical. Like giving them a pass for that has got to feel bad in a way but is also an important lesson.
Actually that was me mimicking my townplay. xD
For instance, the N1 Kingsguard was the towniest I've ever been in a PT--that wasn't me as scum; that was me as town. (Btw the theory in there remains true. I wasn't arguing some insane theory; I was arguing the truth. What I said there was 100% actually the case.)

The
actual
scumtell there was in how I wasn't actually pushing HARD enough. I was pushing nonsense but I wasn't pushing hard enough.
Except when it was to defend scum.

Check the strength of my Dannflor push versus my VP push--I avoided pushing Dann at all; I pushed VP hard.
Check the strength of my Johnny defense versus my Dwlee/Datisi defense--I didn't defend Johnny at all; I hardcore defended both Dwlee and Datisi.

It wasn't the craziness of the push; it was who I was focusing the pushes on and the alignment of them.

Also I lurked hardcore compared to my towngame.

I'm not gonna pretend I was remotely town this game.
I was scum in twenty different ways.

But nonsensical "anti-town" behavior (I was actually being pro-town in it and my theory remains true. I didn't argue nonsense; I argued things that were actually TMI in me knowing they were true when the town wouldn't) was not among them.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #877 (isolation #25) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:31 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 803, Thestatusquo wrote:I think this is just the most likely world. Scum was planning on going all in and almost got there but didnt because they didnt expect the pressure on datisi to start the day it did, and after that all their plans were just kind of scuffed.
Yeah.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #878 (isolation #26) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:32 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 804, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:the day dann died was mylo and if he hadn't awoled you couldve forced a win on miselimination of any of the LHFs
To be fair we didn't think about it until the day of the Datisi elim.

We probably wouldn't have effectively no-killed if I had done the math prior to then.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #880 (isolation #27) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:37 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 805, MathBlade wrote:Agreed :) Datisi = scum mvp
For the record I feel like I was also very important; I was making almost every shot in the scum PT, including having mapped out the win conditions we had. If Datisi hadn't died with 13p alive, then we would've probably have won right there from the gamble I cooked up.

Is why I felt so defeated.

All of the good things I did were behind-the-scenes but when they become seen, then it'll be shown why this was a very good scumgame for me.

And it didn't matter.

If all which was there to my scumgame was what was shown in the main gamethread I'd not feel bad about the loss at all, it'd be an "oh well, move on" thing, because my dayplay here was nothing special. It wasn't anything remarkable. I did nothing incredible by dayplay.

But by behind-the-scenes play it was genuinely a strong scumgame of mine and I just...it meant nothing.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #881 (isolation #28) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:38 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 817, fireisredsir wrote:also agree that datisi played well. will wait to read the scum pt but i talked in the PTs last night that i kinda doubted that going all in for mechanical victory would be datisi's first choice of plan and things might have ended up better if scumteam played more standard.
Datisi explicitly had me giving a huge amount of feedback on his actions. :P
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #883 (isolation #29) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:50 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 848, MathBlade wrote: Like you’re one of the players I look up to.
At my peak I'm worth that.

But my peak has been more and more destructive--I've not had a game in like six months where I haven't received a warning from the game mod and/or the listmods. Even if the culmination of this doesn't result in me actually getting on the ban list (which, well, I wouldn't be surprised if it did and it would be deserved), the fact that every game is risking getting me there should tell you everything you need to know.

I'm not fit to play mafia. I'm tethering on the edge of getting banned every game and heck may have already crossed it. If every game brings me closer to getting banned from playing games, that means I shouldn't be playing games. Especially since the warnings add up and are cumulative. They don't go away, they are remembered and stack up so each will be more severe/harsh than the last.

All of that, aside from one more thing.

Mafia is genuinely destroying my life. I've been late for work, skipped workouts, missed out on meals, missed out on hygiene, skipped out on doing things with friends and communities to play...it's not worth it.

I already knew about that from my townplay.
But this game is proving it true for my scumplay too.

So like. mastina just needs to go away. For how long, I dunno.
But I need to not be around.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #885 (isolation #30) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:03 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 857, VP Baltar wrote:Had Datisi flipped town, town would have had two confirmed towns and the cop would have gone to a stronger town read at that point. I don't see how that's scumsiding at all.
The council had reason to be all-town at that point (there was a failed nightkill that made no sense if the council had any scum on it), and the council was deliberately leaving the protectives off of Datisi. That saves coin allowing for more cop checks, or forces scum to kill Datisi, or allows the doctor to protect against another nightkill.

It also keeps the scum from having any chance to join a council they're not on--if the council was all town, eliminating Datisi and nightkilling literally any council member would mean there wasn't enough positions to fill within the conftown. So you'd need to select an unconfirmed player with Datisi dead (and role assigned to existing council) + council member killed.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #886 (isolation #31) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:07 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 859, VP Baltar wrote:I think this was a smart play tbh. I have no idea if I ever would have turned on GL, but he and Datisi were on my "needs regular sanity check" list.
Yeah, the smartness of the play and it meaning nothing are why I'm just...not feeling like existing in mafia games.

We didn't play
perfectly
, and some of our decisions were arguably mistakes--but the decisions we made were still made
intelligently
, with having weighed the risks and rewards and coming up with a clear plan and steering the game in the way we wanted it to go and it was going so well until it suddenly and abruptly didn't.

We expected the failed nightkill on the tracker to give the entire council locktown status when it came to light.

And then somehow it was the opposite, where the people off the council were pushing exclusively members of the council after a failed nightkill that by all rights
should
have spewed them all as town.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #890 (isolation #32) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:45 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 863, fireisredsir wrote:town made the right play and it's pretty rude to pretend that we were throwing by doing it when it literally won the game
Town making a play that should lose them the game happening to win the game because it happened to be the right play in spite of every appearance suggesting it should be the wrong play,

Is indeed something I would call objectively throwing, throwing that would be throwing in 99% of the case but since we were in the 1% it so happened to not be a throw. (Pooky pls don't be mad at me at the wording, am using fireisredsir's wording here.)

You had reasons to scumread Datisi, but don't pretend that every vote on Datisi did. The only other slot I think which expressed play-based reasons was GuiltyLion. (Well, that and Roden who ironically was off the wagon.)

LLD didn't (the closest she got was "mastina doesn't look like she's leaving behind a will and is still alive, therefore Datisi scum with her" when she literally had access to the proof that wasn't the case because I had done exactly that in the nonsupporters PT and kingsguard N1 and there were reasons for me to still be alive); furtiveglance didn't (his reasons were survivalistic); UNOwen didn't; Drapion explicitly didn't (Drapion explicitly said he was throwing the game with his vote); Enchant didn't (he just did what Enchant does).

It wasn't throwing the game because Datisi was actually scum but he had every reason to not be. There was a paper trail, but don't pretend that the trail was perfect just because it was true. Don't pretend that just because it happened to be what happened that arguing it happened was the most logical conclusion that didn't have flaws, didn't have counterpoints.

There was literally a failed nightkill in a council where a scum-Datisi knew exactly where the protections were.
That failed nightkill literally gave the town an extra elimination, something which a scum Datisi wouldn't want to do because as a cop he would need to clear more players.
The mastina check wasn't something objectively bad; literally half the town explicitly called it a good check.
That was true for each check, too; they were called good checks.

While there was a "Datisi cleared LLD and LLD is scum" narrative, that LLD hard-pushed Datisi was proof that wasn't a world we were in.

There were mechanical reasons for Datisi to be town; there were mechanical reasons for eliminating Datisi to be a bad idea. If Datisi were town then eliminating him when given those mechanical reasons would've been a bad idea. There was a trail showing how Datisi
could
be scum, but that trail was something which in a balance of probability would be ruled improbable: paranoia, compared to the reasons for Datisi to be town.

Having Datisi be eliminated the night after there was reason for Datisi to be conftown was something which shouldn't have happened. Any fears of "the scum could have endgame tools"
should
have been countered by the fact that a failed nightkill meant they couldn't use those tools.

The argument that Datisi gave up a scum kill, giving the town an extra elimination, in order to try and endgame when by having given up a nightkill he delayed any possible endgame, is in of itself contradictory. It literally makes no sense. If Datisi wanted to endgame then sacrificing a kill would explicitly go against that objective. If Datisi wasn't trying to endgame then a kill being sacrificed made sense, but in that case it should've been okay to give an extra day.

Basically, if Datisi were intending to endgame, a failed nightkill would prevent that from happening, so the failed nightkill meant it wasn't possible to do and thus that Datisi could be kept alive. If Datisi weren't intending to endgame, then an endgame wasn't possible to do and thus Datisi could be kept alive. By every logical metric, "Datisi let a failed kill go through" and "Datisi as scum can endgame the town if not eliminated today" should've been mutually exclusive arguments.

Yet they were made in tandem and so happened to be correct--in spite of the logical contradiction involved. Don't pretend the contradiction wasn't there just because it happened to be the correct deduction. It being correct doesn't make it be the most logical option; it was explicitly illogical. It explicitly had huge gigantic flaws in narrative. It happened to be the narrative in the game (largely because I was the one making the shots and scumastina is highly illogical), but it wasn't at all obvious, it wasn't at all a default assumption.

It was akin to yolovigging a claimed cop--in 95% of games that would earn disdain from the inevitable town cop flip because of having a paranoia read on "but what if the cop claim is scum". Yet because it was the 5% where actually the cop
was
scum, after the fact, people don't complain because it happened to work out when 95% of the time it wouldn't have.

An action that should cripple the town, is an action that would be a throw--but when it so happens to do the opposite, does that magically make it be okay? Does that make performing the action which should be a throw, be less of an action which should be a throw? I would say no. An action which should be a throw is still an action which should be a throw, even if it turns out to be the opposite.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #891 (isolation #33) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:49 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 868, VP Baltar wrote:
In post 867, mastina wrote:
In post 649, Datisi wrote:
In post 648, VP Baltar wrote:We're you ever going to kill me?
no, we were intending to keep you alive. at the time of discussing nightkills, anyway.
Yeah I hard-vetoed the idea of ever killing VP Baltar here.

There was one instance which would allow us to have justified it, but in all other cases, I was vehemently against it; we wanted VP Baltar alive unless it was the town to end his life.
Why?
Well that'd technically be spoilers but basically, we felt that you would do more damage dead than alive: you'd already caused the most possible damage possible with your Dwlee push. Literally nothing you could do would make you even more of a threat.

So everything you did from there would, explicitly, only be downhill from there. You did the most protown thing you could, so after having done the most protown thing you could, killing you would've kept you at the most protown you could be, level.

Keeping you alive tho, that allows you to go from most protown possible, to less than that, and less than the most protown possible, is an asset to the scum, essentially. (I can't share details since those are technically spoilers. But basically, I didn't think you would be any more of a threat than you were, and past that point would progressively become less and less of one, and more and more of an asset.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #892 (isolation #34) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:56 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 875, RH9 wrote:Did scum also have other secret abilities?
Just the council powers.

Which we couldn't realistically use outside of endgame, except the useless ones that did nothing. Heck most of them did nothing.

The three instakill powers were strong, but they would instantly out there being scum on the council--meaning we couldn't use them except to trigger an endgame. The town had too many tools to remove scum from the council positions and prevent scum from getting in. Using the powers and outing scum being on the council was never worth it when scum didn't have a way to get back on once kicked off.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #893 (isolation #35) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:58 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 879, RH9 wrote:Did you no-kill?
Technically, no, we shot at Firebringer. (Not really a spoiler since it doesn't rule out Firebringer being scum.)

We just knew exactly where the protections were, so it was a no-kill because we knew that Firebringer would be protected. (Remember, minimum of two scum on council, both involved in that decision process. We knew who was being protected and deliberately shot at those being protected.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #895 (isolation #36) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:02 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 884, MathBlade wrote:Would you be willing to help me mod a unique setup? I just don’t want to lose a good friend :(
Sure! Not playing doesn't mean I'll be leaving the site, so I'm down to help mod.

It's just.

I can't play on mastina.

I'm literally arguing even when dead. Defending things that are not worth defending. It's not worth defending my theorytalk here. And yet I've spent two hours essentially saying I'm not wrong from a theoretical point in spite of the theory not being true in the actual game being played.

That says enough.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #898 (isolation #37) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:12 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 887, Lukewarm wrote:"Hobbies should be fun, and you should have fun doing them.
The truly twisted part is that
I still have fun

Mafia is literally destroying my game and I'm becoming toxic as fuck, but I am still having fun.

There are always less than fun moments, but I always look at my games with positives, and fun. I see all of the fun and truly believe that it DOES outweigh the negatives. Looking at my mafia games, they feel like the positive is always greater than any frustration.

And yet there's a disconnect there between objective reality and subjective feeling.

Objectively, mafia is destroying my life and I know it's not healthy.

But subjectively, it feels fine, like I'm doing great, that mafia is the highlight of my life.

I have fun, and it feels like the fun outweighs the downsides.

Yet I objectively know that's not true even tho subjectively it is.

Kinda fucked up tbh.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #899 (isolation #38) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:12 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 897, RH9 wrote:By the way, could scum actually shoot at themselves?
Yup, they could!
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #901 (isolation #39) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:14 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 894, MathBlade wrote:I will miss you Mastina. Please say hi when you feel it healthy. <3
Again, not leaving.

But I need to quit playing games as mastina. They're just becoming too destructive.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #904 (isolation #40) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:29 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 900, Lukewarm wrote:Also, comparing it to a vig yolo shooting a cop claim is disingenuous, because the town KNEW that they were not going to lose the cop PR either way.
Yes, you did a miselim, but in doing so you move the cop PR from "slot that is in the POE" to a "slot that is confirmed town" -- while also confirming all of their prior results.
You lose ZERO cop results in this scenario, because the new cop can fire the same night after you kill the current cop, and the protectives can skill keep the new cop safe. --- This is a huge factor in this game that is absent in your yolo vig comparison.
The worst case scenario was not punishing to town, and therefore the risk-reward was skewd towards the kill making tactical sense.
What makes this any extra true after three investigations rather than one, or two?

Prior days had it be discussed as being done on a day phase prior to lylo. With 9 alive that'd be a time to eliminate Datisi, or even 11 alive. But with 13 alive, what makes that any different than 15 alive, or 17 alive? Yet the argument was absent at 17 and absent at 15 because there was no reason to eliminate Datisi on those days.

And there was no reason to eliminate Datisi at 13p.

9p makes sense, it's the default.
11p makes sense if you're concerned about scum having an endgame mechanism. (Which we did.)
But 13p made no sense because it was akin to saying to kill the cop after the cop has gotten one result and only one.

I'd not have had objections to the argument at 11p because it'd have made sense. But at 13p it was arguing for the death of a slot that had just gotten good reason to not be scum. A scum-Datisi would have no reason to bring the game up to 13p by deliberately no-killing, since the scum could have killed anyone aside from the two slots protected.

Moving the cop to a conftown did carry risks, because of the mechanics involved in both coin and in council positions. Leaving Datisi opened freed up having more coins available, or to try and stop scum kills. Making conftown the cop
mandated
having both the cop and doc have coin (keeping in mind that there were only 2.2k at the time, that meant that there was only one or two nights' worth of gold left without conserving altho I don't know how much was being made), and having the council roles consolidated opened up the scum to killing on the council and creating a non-conftown to be placed on a previously-all-town council.

The cop moving onto, say, Titus, would leave fireisredsir as the only council member without two power roles. And if the council was all town, then the kingsguard would certainly not be all-town, making an overthrow easier. Overthrow the king + kill on the council + consolidated power roles = the new King needs to distribute roles to players who aren't all conftown. Which would open up a scum wincon where one previously was unavailable.

To explain the exact nature of this I'd need to know the exact mechanics behind the king selection (which I don't obv), but I don't see how this is hard to grasp, since the math checks out. If scum weren't on the council, then mislimming a council member + consolidating their members + kill a council member = scum overthrow the king and the new king can't select exclusively conftown anymore. (Especially if, say, the scum killed the prince while overthrowing the king.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #906 (isolation #41) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:46 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 904, mastina wrote:To explain the exact nature of this I'd need to know the exact mechanics behind the king selection (which I don't obv), but I don't see how this is hard to grasp, since the math checks out. If scum weren't on the council, then mislimming a council member + consolidating their members + kill a council member = scum overthrow the king and the new king can't select exclusively conftown anymore. (Especially if, say, the scum killed the prince while overthrowing the king.)
Basically.

If the council was all-town, and Datisi was eliminated, the cop moves to Titus.

The council can't be on the Kingsguard, and with the council being Shea+mastina+Firebringer+fireisredsir+Titus:
There's 3 scum left. And with 5/9 of the town being unable to be Kingsguard, that means that only 4/9 town can be Kingsguard.
With only 7 names available to select Kingsguard from, that would be 3/7 scum; scum getting half in the Kingsguard allows them to overthrow.

Scum overthrow the king + kill one of the double-council players, say the doctor/prince.

That leads to no king, no prince, with only 3 conftown alive (Titus+LLD+the cop check), and an entire new council to select:
New King (chance for scum), new Prince (chance for scum), new doctor (chance for scum).

If a new king can keep the existing double powers, then it might be possible to keep them all conftown if the king is one of the conftown and the other conftown inherits both the prince and the doctor, but if the new king can't keep the existing double powers and must distribute them, that's 1-3 which would be distributed to non-conftown players. (Math might be wrong there.)

Even if the scum don't get onto the new council, you're at 10 players alive with 3 scum.
If the elimination is on town, you're at 9 alive with 3 scum, and the all-town council makes up King+3-5, which means that there's no town for the Kingsguard since council can't be Kingsguard, with 9 alive there's only 6 town left and they're all on the council.

Scum overthrow the king + kill on the council again, and then you're at 8 alive with 3 scum and can't stop scum from being on the council at this point no matter what. Even with a scum elimination at that stage, the scum have enough momentum where they probably outright win the game from overthrowing any town king and using the king's execute if a scum king.

All of that snowballs from a Datisi-town elimination, and CAN'T happen with a non-council elimination.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #909 (isolation #42) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:48 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 905, fireisredsir wrote:that's why datisi's actions were clearly not his own
Actually Datisi's checks were his own.

I made sure of that.

He got to select the picks.

I got to influence them but Datisi made those investigation choices on his own.

So no, Datisi's actions were his own. You were wrong.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #913 (isolation #43) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:02 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 905, fireisredsir wrote:you're still making the argument that town shouldn't have thought the way they did, without understanding what the town perspective there would have been
Because they shouldn't.

Scum gambiting is a
possibility
--it is never a
probability

Scum giving up on a mislim to endgame is explicitly a
logical contradiction
--scum can't both be at risk of endgaming the town, while also deliberately giving the town an extra mislim.

I'd like to see YOU argue "scum deliberately gave the town an extra mislim because of...gambiting I guess?" in nine games out of ten and see how well that argument pans out. It's never an impossibility but it is explicitly a violation of probability. In the 1/10 where it's true you happen to be right, but in 9/10 times that argument is going to be wrong because it is a possibility, not a probability.

And that's not scum knowledge talking.

That's basic game mechanics talking.

Scum who give the town an extra elimination shouldn't be in endgame territory--if they were in endgame territory when giving the town an extra mislim, they should have won the game by denying the town the extra elimination in the first place. That's not scum logic, that's basic math. If the scum can endgame at 12p but not at 13p then they don't need to put the game onto 13p.

It's literally the opposite of TMI that my viewpoint is arguing.
By the TMI, yes, it makes sense, because by the TMI, as it so happened, we could.

But lacking TMI, then giving up on a mislim should explicitly point to the scum being unable to endgame.
"Scum needed to go to 13p to give a mislim to get to 12p at the night in order to win" would be a TMI argument to make--but
that's the argument town were effectively making
. The TOWN were making the argument that is a possibility which happened to be true.

But the
probability
was "scum can't endgame at 12p, so at 13p the scum aren't even close, therefore, no need to eliminate the cop today".
In post 905, fireisredsir wrote:the most important point that you're ignoring though is that even if datisi was town, town was in a position that was incredibly difficult to lose
I literally laid out how eliminating Datisi was a loss condition for the town in a town-Datisi world. A town-Datisi world means that the scum have easy access to overthrowing the king, and potentially forcing a reorganization of the entire council. (Say, if the king and prince died the same night.)

Know how UNOwen was selected as the king after both Shea and I died with me having not selected a successor?

If that was random, what happens if scum was randomly selected as the King?

You go into 10 alive during the day, with a scum King. Scum executes after selecting a council, and then suddenly, the town that was in a winning position is on the fast track to losing the game from a town-Datisi elimination.

It wasn't incredibly difficult to lose by eliminating a town-Datisi; a town-Datisi elimination would've
ensured
a town loss was almost inevitable. It only didn't because Datisi wasn't town.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #915 (isolation #44) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:08 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 907, Lukewarm wrote:But like, if someone else is added to the council, the council just... doesn't plan their targets in the council thread until after Titus has checked that person
Scum who were off of the council that gain access to the council gain access to the scum powers.

Again, this is me as scum knowing TMI that this would in fact not help us--but as town, the town wouldn't know that the scum powers wouldn't help us. As town, the town would think the scum powers could allow for, sayyyy, a godfather? Or godfather-by-proxy by redirecting the town cop?

As scum that's TMI as we knew that couldn't happen--but as town, those things
could
have happened.

In the "council is all town right now" world, scum were denied access to the scum powers granted for the entirety of the game up to that point.
In the "council is all town right now" world, scum suddenly gaining access to those powers means
all prior assumptions get thrown out
, including the trustworthiness of results.

Scum who knew what the powers were, knew that couldn't happen--we knew that being elected to the council wouldn't actually help us stop a follow-the-cop strategy because none of the powers can do that without outing that there's scum on the council. (And if there were powers working before and suddenly powers stop to work...well then, that tells you that the new holders are scum, doesn't it?)

But town who don't know what the powers were, didn't know that couldn't happen, and should've been under the belief that it
could

My arguments are the opposite of TMI here.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #916 (isolation #45) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:10 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 908, fireisredsir wrote:11p is literally the last time you possibly can elim datisi in the worst case scenario, even without any concern of the scum having additional powers. GL laid out the scenario.
GL laid out a scenario where in 11p Datisi claims a fake guilty and the town instead of using the duels to kill one/both of the combatants and instead of eliminating Datisi decides to blindly sheep the guilty--the scenario simply didn't work without those conditions.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #917 (isolation #46) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:14 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 911, Lukewarm wrote:In the scenario that you just described, I believe only 2 people would be added to the council, not 3. 1 new king, and 1 new prince.
Double powers death + king = 3 powers, not two.
In post 911, Lukewarm wrote:But regardless, an over thrown would out 2 out of the 3 members of the kings guard as scum. And since confirmed town Titus is the lord commander, she would know exactly who they were.
And it wouldn't matter if scum could kill more town than town can kill scum. The town can only eliminate one scum per day; the scum at that point can pretty much permanently kill a
minimum
of two town per day.

Plus if there's not a 100% confirmed scum pool (if the kingsguard is 4 including titus with 2 scum, then there's still one town there that can be mislimmed), then there's room for the scum to just win from the town selecting the one and only wrong elimination to make.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #918 (isolation #47) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:25 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 912, Lukewarm wrote:they cannot kill BOTH the king AND the Prince on the same day, without literally outing two of their members.
True but killing both the king and prince means that even knowing who the scum are you can't stop them fully. With no scum in any killing council role, scum have a minimum of 2 kills per night permanently at that point. If they ever land a killing council role, then they get 3 kills for every scum death. And while there's only 3 scum alive, there's only 7 town alive at that point. And do the math, 7:3, kill one scum, 2+ town die. 5:2, kill one scum, 3:1--IF the scum are guaranteed to be scum, and IF the scum don't get access to another kill.

IF the last scum is outed as such and the scum didn't have any mechanism to deny the town this, then that's a 4p mylo town win. But if literally
anything
goes wrong, the scum win.

This all from an uninformed perspective. None of this is a TMI argument; it's all facts the town had available to them.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #919 (isolation #48) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:26 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 914, RH9 wrote:Is everybody still arguing over whether eliminating Datisi was a bad idea or not?
And now you know why I need to quit.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #921 (isolation #49) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:31 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 920, Lukewarm wrote:
In post 917, mastina wrote:Double powers death + king = 3 powers, not two.
At not point have I seen it said that a "double powers death" results in an extra person being added to the council.
Not directly, but with the limit of two powers per council member, if every council member has two powers, then...the only possible holder is someone who was previously not on the council.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #924 (isolation #50) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:39 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 922, Lukewarm wrote:2) outing themselves by over throwing the king. This kills 2 council members, but we have 2 new clears at that point (LLD + the newest clear from Titus). This OUTS BOTH SCUM and does not get scum onto the council.
There's 3 scum alive at that point--and the town can only eliminate one scum per day.

A double-kill brings the town into 10 alive with 3 scum. 7:3. IF two scum are confirmed as scum (and that's an 'if', if the kingsguard is 4 including Titus then they explicitly ARE NOT--there is a non-conftown town in the kingsguard so while it's known there's two scum there it's not known which of them are the scum), then the town can only kill one of them per day. Since having a Kingsguard is mandatory, it's mandatory to keep electing members there meaning scum will always be on the kingsguard or the council or both.

You can make absolutely sure the council is town maybe, you can make absolutely sure the kingsguard can't overthrow the king without being confscum maybe, but you can't have both at the same time. One will always happen, with a chance of both happening. (Scum getting council + scum having overthrow power in kingsguard.)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #925 (isolation #51) » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:42 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 923, Lukewarm wrote:
the King
may
give their duties to another member of the small council
This says to me that the king always had the choice to not assign a role to someone, because otherwise this would say must
That is for the king assigning additional powers to
the council
. That is 'may', not 'must'.

Every time a council member died, the language WAS 'must'.

Check 2353. "The king MUST select".
Check 5183. "MUST select".

Assigning council positions is
mandatory

Assigning council positions to those already ON the council is optional.

Return to “Completed Game Topics”