: You can directly quote anything
    from
    the public thread
    into
    this PT. You may not directly quote
    from
    this PT
    into
    anywhere (except for posts written by you and clearly drafted with the intent to be later posted in the main thread by you).
  • Privacy
    : If you want this PT kept private after the game, please tell me sometime between now and 48 hours after the game ends.
  • Role PMs
    : Your role PMs and the role PMs of your enemies are pasted below.
  • Have fun!
Sample role PMs:

Spoiler: Mafia Role PMs AKA YOU GUYS <3
Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon
/
Roleblocker

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk during night phases only.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment or by posting in your PT.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a
Mafia Goon

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk during night phases only.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment or by posting in your PT.

Spoiler: Town Role PMs AKA THE ENEMY
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

1-shot Bulletproof TownieWelcome!

You are a
1-shot Bulletproof Townie.

You will survive 1 kill attempt during the game. This does not include lynches.

The game thread is here.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player they targeted with their action, if any.

The game thread is here.

Playerlist:
  1. Alonzo
    replaced WhaleBarnicle
    , vanilla townie, lynched day 3

2. osuka
    replaced JaeReed; PersephoneSidekick
    , town cop, killed night 1

3. UnaBombaH
    replaced bobbobin, PsykoSavant

4. Bucket
    replaced Gorny; Yooh; Lucci

5. RedFlavor, vanilla townie, lynched day 1

6. RadiantCowbells
    replaced Mike R; MastaMasta; joshuamelfano
    , mafia goon

7. Carcalilly (SE), vanilla townie, killed night 3

8. Ginngie (SE)
    replaced Edosurist, Scorpious (SE)
    , vanilla townie, killed night 2

9. Malakittens (IC)
    replaced mastina (IC)
    , mafia goon, lynched day 2
Current deadline (end of game):
(expired on 2017-09-22 15:00:00).

People with access to this topic: Public
Last edited by Plotinus on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:11 am, edited 13 times in total.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:35 am

Post by mastina »

Hi there! I see this is your first game on mafiascum, and you happened to draw scum.

Now there are many, many, many things I can say on good scumplay. I literally wrote the book on how to play well as scum, but while I recommend that reading, I don't want to force you to read it all, so instead, let me give you a few initial pointers.
  1. Don't Panic!
    You might think at the start that you're not going to encounter problems, but playing scum with no experience is absolutely
    brutal
    . You will be pressured. This is okay! You might even be wagoned. This is also normal. Everyone gets wagoned, but keep calm, keep cool, and in control of your emotions.
  2. Be proactive.
    While activity is not alignment-indicative, newbie players tend to disproportionately
    assume
    higher activity is a town-indicator. Exploit their assumption for all it is worth. That being said,
  3. Let the town attack itself.
    Town players will be suspicious of town players if you just let them be so. You'll want to let that process happen, so don't draw too much attention to yourself and distract them from each other.
  4. Try to appear reasonable.
    If you are the voice of logic in the town, then you can control the town. It doesn't take much, either. As scum, you have the power to hold any belief, with any reason you want. The flexibility and strength of that should never be underestimated.
  5. Tell as much truth as possible.
    This might seem to contradict with the above, but trust me: the best weapon is the truth. The best lie is the one which is mostly true, just with the slightest of subversions which gives your stance a scum agenda.
  6. Just be natural.
    Do whatever you feel most comfortable doing.
  7. Treat me like any other player would treat me.
    I am not special because I am your scumbuddy. I am not special because I am a scum IC. I am not more valuable than you are, or less valuable than you are. You don't want to draw too much attention to our interactions.
  8. I will be interacting with you.
    I may push you. I may even vote you. You should be doing the same as well. Just have our conversation flow naturally with the results which you think we most should have. To emphasize once more,
  9. Don't be afraid!
    Don't be afraid to be bold. Don't be afraid to do something with me. You can vote with me. You can vote me. You can leave me be and not defend me. You could also choose to defend me. (I recommend against it since I am reasonably competent on my own but if you think it is natural for you to do so, go ahead.) You can call me scum without voting me. Just do what you think is best to do, without fear of being caught for doing it. Fear is your enemy. So on that note,
  10. Never give up.
    It's not over until it is over!
I realize this might be a bit to take in, but basically...

The thing you most need as scum is to not get held up on being scum. You'll want to forward a scum agenda (i.e., mislynching town, nightkilling town), but you don't want to be so focused on the scum agenda that your emotions keep you from doing something. Just act natural.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:51 am

Post by mastina »

Now as for the setup.
You are the mafia roleblocker. This means your life is more valuable than mine.
I may push you. I may even vote you--but make no mistake. I will do everything within my power to keep you alive. I am expendable as the goon. You are not. So your life is actually more important than mine.

The setup we are dealing with is either Jailkeeper-1x BP, or Cop-Doctor.

If we are dealing with the former, I would expect this game to honestly be a cakewalk. You can roleblock the jailkeeper and it'd take two failed kills for the town to gain anything. The town also wouldn't know if the failed nightkill was due to jailkeeping the nightkill, jailkeeping the killer, or us shooting the bulletproof. As a result, it is something where we have the edge. This is what I am hoping for. With luck, we can identify this setup early-on. There's a BP-claim strategy which people use and one of the players may suggest it. (I don't want to suggest it personally because in this setup it actually benefits us the scum.)

Even if not, if the newbies landed a power role, they tend to be a bit reckless when it comes to revealing their role. They may do so prematurely, or they may breadcrumb a little too obviously. Look for players who use capitals to spell things out, or references, or even players who hint that lynching them would be a mistake. I will be doing similar. As long as I survive to night one, I should be able to assist you in sifting through posts to determine breadcrumbs.

Because the setup we're worried about is cop-doctor. In this setup, we want to roleblock one PR and nightkill the other as quickly as possible. If we fail, if push comes to shove and in a 5p lylo we still have both the cop and doctor alive, a really, really gutsy/risky/ballsy move would be one or both of us claiming a power role. This is also viable if the cop gets a guilty on one of us coming into D2. (If it's me I'll handle it, if it's you then I'd recommend counterclaiming cop, with an innocent. Since town tend to like breadcrumbing in advance, I would recommend laying some on D1, so that your claim is more believable on D2.)

Of course, ideally, this won't be a problem since I plan on having identified roles to roleblock/nightkill. But if worst comes to worst, take my advice: power roles are not worth stressing over. Push come to shove, it is always okay to nightkill a player simply off of their competency, be it their accuracy or their charisma or them being obviously town or some combination of these three traits. Nothing says they can't be a PR, and even if they're a VT, then that's a competent player we will no longer have to deal with. (Plus, the less competent the holder of a power role, the easier it is to mislynch said power role. Never forget that just claiming a PR won't save a player!)
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:07 am

Post by mastina »

As it so happens, I also did some initial research on the players who had game experience on mafiascum, to better prepare you for how I'd recommend handling them.

WhaleBarnicle has one completed game as town. From what I found on a skim, he is a bit on the cautious side, and perhaps a bit paranoid. On the upside, this means that if he initially engages with you, his opinion is likely to change. On the downside, this means that his opinion on you may swerve back to scum at any time. He tends to over-think things from what I can tell, so I would recommend giving him things to think about when engaging him. Don't give him the answers; let him find the answers for himself. But do direct him to have answers you WANT him to have.

He's a bit of a wallposter, so I don't expect players to pay much attention to his reads (meaning if he's accurate, don't worry about it), but his vote might be dangerous if in conjunction with either him being a PR or him working with another town player. He played with PerseophoneSidekick last game where she was scum, so I expect him to have early paranoia of her, but I can't tell yet if he's going to tunnel on her or if he'll quickly see the contrast between her towngame and her scumgame.

PersephoneSidekick, as I mentioned, played with WhaleBarnicle. She was an incredibly competent scum player that game, so I expect her towngame to similarly be strong. I would recommend engaging her heavily and trying to 'sort' her, and when you 'develop' a read on her, to be adamant about it and explain your reasons why strongly.

PsykoSavant, Lucci, and RedFlavor are all new players with this as their first game. I don't have any data on them, but it should be worth noting: you can watch what they are doing in the beginning of the game to have a fair idea of how fellow newbies with no experience are acting. I'd advise taking caution in trying to mimic their behavior (act as naturally as to YOU you can, not as you assume is natural for them), but still, the process of watching them may be useful in generating your early-content.

(Speaking of early content, remember: it's early-content. It will not dictate the entire fate of the game, so you shouldn't be worried if you get pressured.)

I didn't quite get the time to research in advance the SEs, so I'll handle them next post.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:40 am

Post by mastina »

Carcalilly is someone who is already very largely invested in mafiascum's culture as a whole, in spite of not having much in the way of completed games. They're willing to ask questions, take initiative, start discussion, try to find interest in things, all general personality traits I'm assuming from seeing them around the site in spite of never having directly engaged with them in a game. Of course, my pool of actual game references for them is a bit low because they seem to draw scum a disproportionately high number of times. As in, of six completed games, they've been town in only three, all of which are her oldest games.

My understanding of them though is that they may either be an alt or have an alt and thus have more games I don't know about.
That being said
, from what I
have
found, Caracalilly is largely casual and here to have a good time. She is someone who scumhunts a lot by talking to others and engaging them in conversation with occasional questions.

My recommendation there would actually be to push Caracalilly with the intent to lynch initially, and then from there judging on whether she is lynchable or not. If she seems obviously town, then pushing her may make you stick out and is something you'll want to avoid; if she doesn't seem obviously town, continue to push her because she's going to be someone you'll want to have as a scumread. She seems to get a lot of those and her being a semi-experienced player gives you an opening: you can be distrusting of her content versus her competency.

Overall I wouldn't be worried too much about her though. She's a smooth-talker so her becoming obviously town may be a problem, but she's not exactly the most charismatic with her scumhunting and I'm not too worried about her accuracy, either. If she obvtowns, we'll have to see how to handle her; if she doesn't obvtown she might be our D1 mislynch.

Scorpious is an older, more experienced scummer, but he's a little out of practice. Most of his games are at least a year old if not older. He's someone I'd call a bit of a more logical, precise player. His posting is focused and more direct. He's someone who might be a good nightkill, because I'm not quite sure how to direct you to handle him. I'm not too worried about me, personally, but I can't think of much in the way of advice for how to deal with him.

His posting is sharp, his posting is precise, his posting is largely reasonable and logical and focused. About the best advice I have for that is hope his voice isn't heard and hope that he doesn't lock onto you and hope he doesn't have a power role, because I don't think you'll be able to win in a direct engagement against him. The best defense against him is to hope he is ignored.

A possible exploit here though is that if Scorpious himself knows and believes himself to be out of practice, he may be a bit more conservative. This is something we can use to our advantage, since if he feels himself rusty, then he may feel his scumhunting skills have atrophied and that he is out-of-touch with the current userbase. If you can befriend other players in the game by connecting with them, then those feelings of being disconnected with others may be amplified, since he'll have trouble doing the same and will feel like he doesn't understand the mindset of "kids these days", as it were. But I'm not sure about the validity of this, because I don't know for sure he feels this way.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:44 am

Post by mastina »

I'll wrap up those player bios with a disclaimer: these are profiles of them that I compiled with less than five minutes of research. I cannot speak to their accuracy. They are educated guesses as to how players will act and how they will interact.
Don't treat anything I've said as holy gospel
. If you feel like diverging from anything I have said, do so! You might be more accurate than I am. Especially since I am saying these things in advance, before the game has started; whatever you'll do will be what you do during the game. So what you do will be more informed than what I've given you here in advance.

Everything I am telling you is a suggestion
, not a hardfast rule.
Find whatever strategy makes you comfortable and fit into that mold.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:47 am

Post by mastina »

Speaking of which: when you check in, can you give me an idea of your mafia experience?
I know you're new to the site, but what I'm looking for here is some indication of your experience:
What's your overall experience with the game? Where have you played, what have you read? The like. If you've played before, describing how games were played at those locations would help. Also helpful would be knowing your own playstyle quirks, especially any deviations from a norm. Your perspective on the game could also help me guide you. In general, as town, and as scum, how you approach things is important.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:50 am

Post by mastina »

And I'll wrap up by saying: I realize I'm giving you a lot of reading material. I realize that going through this is quite intimidating. But please trust me: it'll be
worth it
, if the result of this prep work is that you're able to handle yourself in the game. Remember, once day starts, I won't be able to help you at all. I can't coach you, so you're on your own. All you have is your time right here, right now, and that's why I want to make the most of it, so that you're ready for potentially the whole game if worst comes to worst.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:51 pm

Post by mastina »

Whoops. I misread your role. :oops:

With us both as goons, that changes things.
Possible setups:
Jailkeeper-nothing else (harmless)
Doctor-tracker (harmless as long as we're both alive, devastating if one of us is lynched)
Tracker-1x Bulletproof (mostly harmless)
Cop-nothing else (the only threatening one).

This doesn't really change much in the approach, in that in a jailkeeper setup we don't have to fear a stopped kill that much so long as we're both alive and we can always fakeclaim 1x bulletproof provided the BP-claim strategy isn't used; tracker-bulletproof has the useless role of the bulletproof with the tracker wide open. The threatening two are the doctor-tracker combo and the cop game, but even those two just require us to not go down too early. If we can both survive D1, we'll be good.
Counterpoint
Counterpoint
Goon
Counterpoint
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:30 am

Post by Counterpoint »

MastaMasta replaces joshuamelfano! This thread is now locked for the start of Day 1. You can talk to each other again when it's night time, which will happen in (expired on 2017-08-14 18:30:00) unless you lynch somebody first! Good luck today!
Counterpoint
Counterpoint
Goon
Counterpoint
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:13 pm

Post by Counterpoint »

Unlocked for night 1!
Malakittens
Malakittens
Survivor
Malakittens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:00 pm

Post by Malakittens »

so my phone is dead

:[

rips
No matter how high the stakes, sooner or later you're just gonna have to go with your gut.
And maybe, just maybe, that'll take you right where you were supposed to be.

Get to know a Mala~Grey<3 4.7.2015
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:03 pm

Post by Plotinus »

aw that sucks.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Mike R
Mike R
Goon
Mike R
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:29 pm

Post by Mike R »

Aahhhhhh you survived!! That one was looking hairy, but we made it :)

I have some thoughts and will post them this morning some time when I'm actually awake.
Mike R
Mike R
Goon
Mike R
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:47 am

Post by Mike R »

Okay, so here’s my general feel of the game up to this point:

mastina was off to a fine start, pretending to powertown and it was working pretty well. Whether he was just omgusing or actually saw through it, red was the only one really bothered by it early.

Then Jae shows up, and the crap hits the fan. They read mastina perfectly, but miraculously, no one really follows.

The substitutions continue, and we end up with osuka who also correctly reads the mastina slot, which at that point is yours. People kind of follow, but THANK YOU UNA for being exactly who we needed D1 - the voice of dissent that I was not particularly willing to be at that point.

So we somehow get a red lynch, which is just a bad lynch all around but it goes through, and it’s pretty good because he was hounding your slot incessantly.

—————

I think you’re in a pretty bad spot at the moment. Generally viewed as a decent lynch and viewed scummy by several players. If Edo or osuka decide to push hard on you, we could be in big trouble. I’m not sure how much help I can be, because frankly your slot would seem pretty scummy to me as town, and honestly, that’s probably where my vote would have gone D1 were I town.

On the other hand, I’m sitting pretty good. People generally see me as town, which actually could be dangerous because I could draw a town action. But I’m pretty sure I’m not getting lynched today.

——————

So on to our strategy - do we want to try to kill the people who are threats to your slot, kill people who are threats late game, or try to power role hunt?

There’s a good chance there’s no bulletproof in this game since most people claimed.

Assuming that’s not the setup, we’re left with lone Jailkeeper, lone cop, or doctor/tracker.

——————

Thoughts on people:

Alonzo: Good chance of getting lynched. Not really a threat at this point as he’s not proactive enough. He’s a counter voice to osuka, which is needed. Slight chance of a role since he got so raged at osuka, but I’m just not feeling it really.

osuka: Dude is a threat, but he keeps going all over the place and doesn’t lock in for that long. If he had an active following, he would be really dangerous, but Una and Alonzo aren’t following, and really, throw in me, and those are the four that are talking the most right now. At the moment he’s contained, but I think this is a decent night kill candidate, though it will mean people could suspect you since he was on your wagon hard. Probably vanilla town.

Una: This is a pretty good player imo, but one who is on our side right now. Could be dangerous late game since he’s level-headed. My gut says to not lynch right now, but that could come back to bite us. Small chance of a power role.

Bucket: Seems to be someone who can be manipulated pretty easily. Not very threatening, nor do I think this is a power role slot. I’d say leave this alive.

Carca: She’s one of my top reads for a power role. However, I’m not sure she’s a great kill right now since she might get lynched tomorrow. I don’t think she’s a huge threat as a poster since she’s on the quiet side.

Edo: Seems like someone who won’t really waver a ton on opinions, making him somewhat dangerous, especially later. If he jumps in hard, he could be a town magnet that people rally behind. Not dangerous atm since he’s not posting, but this would be an okay lynch. There is the possibility of a power role here, especially with how scorpious was playing.

—————

I like an osuka or edo lynch to help gain us some greater control of town. I feel I’m in a spot to push town where I want, and getting rid of one of those would further my ability, as well as open up a chance you can redeem your slot and become someone who can push as well.

If we want to hunt roles, I’d say take our Carca.

Personally I want osuka dead and have since he subbed in, but mostly because he talks a lot and was focusing you hard.

Let me know what you think and we’ll go from there :)
Mike R
Mike R
Goon
Mike R
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:51 am

Post by Mike R »

As for who is submitting the kill... I'm torn. I think you're much more likely to be tracked or jailed, but if there is a tracker, we run the risk of them watching me and catching me, which would suck.

I think I have to submit it though and take the risk. Let me know your thoughts on this too :)
Malakittens
Malakittens
Survivor
Malakittens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:00 pm

Post by Malakittens »

Ill kill just in case.

give you an extra day or so
No matter how high the stakes, sooner or later you're just gonna have to go with your gut.

Malakittens
Malakittens
Survivor
Malakittens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:00 pm

Post by Malakittens »

ill be here tmrw but i have to look at ISO for possible crumbs

Malakittens
Malakittens
Survivor
Malakittens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:44 am

Post by Malakittens »

I'm ready to just sleee

Mike R
Mike R
Goon
Mike R
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:57 am

Post by Mike R »

You work as an EMT, right? Is that crazy hours?

Let me know who you're thinking for the kill when you get a chance to look :)
Mike R
Mike R
Goon
Mike R
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:57 am

Post by Mike R »

Also, if you're going to be looking for people hinting at a role, I didn't see any, though that doesn't mean they aren't out there.
Malakittens
Malakittens
Survivor
Malakittens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 am

Post by Malakittens »

Kill: Carc

Malakittens
Malakittens
Survivor
Malakittens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:35 am

Post by Malakittens »

In post 19, Mike R wrote:You work as an EMT, right? Is that crazy hours?

Let me know who you're thinking for the kill when you get a chance to look :)
Yep. I'm going to school for my CC, which is a step below a paramedic, but higher than what I have right now.

Major crazy hours. You respond whenever the pager goes off.

Malakittens
Malakittens
Survivor
Malakittens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:57 am

Post by Malakittens »

I was thinking Osuka kill instead because youre right everyone else is lynchable

Malakittens
Malakittens
Survivor
Malakittens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:38 am

Post by Malakittens »

I Kill Osuka

I can deal with the fire.

After learning how to play scum from Ploti!

I got 'dis

Return to “Completed Game Topics”