He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

XP Mafia Review

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:15 am

Post by Something_Smart »

RulesI. XP
Each player in this game will have a certain amount of XP. XP can be gained by some night actions, and can be spent to power abilities. Each player starts with 1 XP, and players can never have less than 0 XP.
It is public knowledge that the Mafia's factional kill costs XP to carry out.

II. Training
Each player, by default is allowed to Train during the night. This takes the place of another action and cannot be used alongside any action,
including the Mafia's factional kill.
When a player Trains, they gain 1 XP. This is an action and can be blocked or seen with Follower, but it is not considered a visit and therefore cannot be seen by Tracker, Motion Detector, Voyeur, or Watcher.

III. Public Mechanics
This game has a certain set of Public Mechanics. Public Mechanics are guaranteed to be in play for the whole game once they are put into play, and different game events may cause new Public Mechanics to go into play throughout the game. The following Public Mechanics are in play at the beginning of the game:

[Block]
All players may vote to block another player using
Block: Player
. Once a majority is reached, the day ends and that player is blocked. A blocked player loses all XP and can carry out no actions (personal or factional, inlcuding Training) the following night.

[Upgrade]
At any time during the day or night, any player may spend 3 XP to upgrade their role, providing a bonus that is unknown until the upgrade is made. Each player can only upgrade once, and the upgrade takes effect at the end of the phase in which it was submitted, at which point the player will learn their new role. Players with upgraded roles will flip with both their original role and their upgraded role.

These are the
only
Public Mechanics initially in play. Voting to lynch is not currently available.

SetupAll players start with 1 XP

Public mechanics:
[Block]: Available at start.
Vote to remove all XP and block all actions following night.
[Upgrade]: Available at start.
Pay 3 XP to improve role.
[Lynch]: When Pacifist dies.
Vote to kill.
[Dayvig]: On Day 3.
Pay 4 XP for private dayvig shot.

Unlockable mechanics:
Require more than half the players to vote for it. Only one can be put in effect each day.
---DAY 2---
[Self-Watcher]
Pay 1 XP to self-watch.
OR
[Rolecop]
Pay 1 XP to rolecop.
OR
[Neighborizer]
Pay 1 XP to neighborize. Can add to existing neighborhood (that you control) or create new one.
---DAY 4---
[Conditional Deathproof]
If you would die with 3 or more XP, lose 3 XP and survive.
OR
[Blessing]
Activates immediately when unlocked. All players gain 1 XP.
OR
[Loyal]
Pay 1 XP to make your role's action loyal. (Cannot be applied to a public mechanic)

Cannot lynch at start
Factional kill costs XP

Train: Gain 1 XP. NO other actions may be used that night. (Available by default)
Mafia factional kill can be used with other actions but not Train.

Mafia RB: Gain XP equal to the amount target WOULD have gained. (Kill cost: 2)
Learns the nature of any actions blocked
Mafia Goon: (Kill cost: 1)
Kills become free
Mafia Autofarmer: Gains 1 XP every night, cannot be blocked, cannot train (Kill cost: 2)
Can give 1 XP to someone else as well
Town Tracker: Gain 1 XP if target visits
Learns target's passive abilities
Town Modified BG: If you save a player, lose 2 XP. If you can't, you die.
Becomes full doctor
Paranoid Townie: Can Hide for 2 XP, but fails if visited (non-killing) and ability is lost.
Becomes activated PGO
Town Autofarmer: Gains 1 XP every night, cannot be blocked, cannot train
Can give 1 XP to someone else as well
Town Thief: Target gains no XP, you gain what they would have gotten.
Also steals all of target's XP
Town Accelerator: Target gains double XP
If target gains none, gains 1 instead
Town Pacifist: Death triggers public mechanic [Lynch]
Becomes Suicide Bomber
VT
Becomes 1-shot BP
VT
Becomes Targeted Backup (Target one player and back up their role if they die)
VT
Becomes Macho IC

Edit: topic is now public.
Last edited by Something_Smart on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:20 am

This is a copy/paste from the Notepad I was working on the setup in, so my apologies if it's hard to understand. Basically, the top box would go in the "setup specific" section of the rules, and the bottom box is the mod info.
WhyMafia
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:33 am

Post by WhyMafia »

In post 0, Something_Smart wrote:Require more than half the players to vote for it. Only one can be put in effect each day.
So is it hammered once it recieves N/2 + 1 votes?
In post 0, Something_Smart wrote:[Lynch]: When Pacifist dies.
Vote to kill.
In post 0, Something_Smart wrote:All players may vote to block another player using Block: Player. Once a majority is reached, the day ends and that player is blocked.
I'm confused by this
Does lynching & blocking happen concurrently? You say blocking ends day, so when does a lynch happen? If town chooses to lynch do they lose the ability to block someone that night?
WhyMafia
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:34 am

Post by WhyMafia »

In post 0, Something_Smart wrote:Voting to lynch is not currently available.
Oh
So above question applies to when lynches are available
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:35 am

The latter. Blocking is just like lynching, except the effect is different. You can only do one or the other each day.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:36 am

And yeah the idea is they can't kill people yet, but they can still influence the game by blocking, which sets scum back in terms of their ability to NK.
On Day 3, they can start dayvigging but slowly, and eventually they'll be able to lynch, at which point they probably won't have much need for blocking.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:37 am

And town can still win even if the pacifist doesn't die because they can shut the scum out of gaining XP for long enough to acquire dayvigs.
WhyMafia
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:38 am

Post by WhyMafia »

In post 0, Something_Smart wrote:Require more than half the players to vote for it. Only one can be put in effect each day.
---DAY 2---
[Self-Watcher]
Pay 1 XP to self-watch.
OR
[Rolecop]
Pay 1 XP to rolecop.
OR
[Neighborizer]
Pay 1 XP to neighborize. Can add to existing neighborhood (that you control) or create new one.
---DAY 4---
[Conditional Deathproof]
If you would die with 3 or more XP, lose 3 XP and survive.
OR
[Blessing]
Activates immediately when unlocked. All players gain 1 XP.
OR
[Loyal]
Pay 1 XP to make your role's action loyal. (Cannot be applied to a public mechanic)
I'm confused by this as well. So I'm assuming only one of these can be voted per day. Once they're unlocked are they permanent? Say on day 2 town decides to get self-watch. Can they buy neighborize D3? Or are the D2 options then locked out. Or can they still self-watch say, Day 4
WhyMafia
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:39 am

Post by WhyMafia »

Well this is a really cool setup damn

Anyways, how much does a scum NK cost?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:41 am

The idea was that they'd have to choose one of the three and the other two would be lost, but once unlocked it would be available the rest of the game.

It feels a bit unnecessary but I want to give town some more control over the public mechanics.

Pedit: It depends on which scum member carries it out. Normally it's 2, the goon has a discount and only has to pay 1 (and if they upgrade then it's free).
WhyMafia
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:41 am

Post by WhyMafia »

In post 0, Something_Smart wrote:(Kill cost: 1
o
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:43 am

By the way, I was considering some possibilities for Day 5 public mechanics, though I'm not sure they're necessary. I thought having a revive ability that costed a ton might be interesting, though the setup is certainly interesting enough without it.
WhyMafia
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:46 am

Post by WhyMafia »

I think the setup doesn't need a revive mechanic. Scum may not choose to get an NK whenever possible, and having a revive is pretty bad for scum if town/scum gets revived
There's enough mechanics as is, especially considering that most would likely gun down for an upgrade & to use a mechanic
WhyMafia
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:47 am

Post by WhyMafia »

In post 0, Something_Smart wrote:Town Modified BG: If you save a player, lose 2 XP. If you can't, you die.
So is the BG forced to choose someone each night?
WhyMafia
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:49 am

Post by WhyMafia »

I think this is definitely town sided tbh
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:50 am

In post 12, WhyMafia wrote:I think the setup doesn't need a revive mechanic. Scum may not choose to get an NK whenever possible, and having a revive is pretty bad for scum if town/scum gets revived
There's enough mechanics as is, especially considering that most would likely gun down for an upgrade & to use a mechanic
Makes sense
In post 13, WhyMafia wrote:
In post 0, Something_Smart wrote:Town Modified BG: If you save a player, lose 2 XP. If you can't, you die.
So is the BG forced to choose someone each night?
That was kind of a poor way of phrasing it. If they have 2 or more XP, they're actually a doctor; if they save someone, it costs them 2 XP but both players survive. If they have fewer than 2 XP, they can still protect people, but they're a BG instead.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:55 am

I think I did a pretty good job keeping the clears down. One VT can become IC (but macho), the paranoid can produce 1 or 2 clears if they're lucky, beyond that a few roles may be considered clear based on their claim (pacifist, for one, though town is better off with them dead and so them claiming is actually bad).

Probably the biggest potential issue is for too many people to get dayvigs. If everyone trained, then half the town would have a dayvig by Day 4. I don't think that's breaking, since they'd essentially be vanilla otherwise (unable to use their abilities), but it might be really strong.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:00 am

Let's see
10:3
Assuming town decides to not block and go straight for dayvigs (which I doubt they would do, seeing as screwing people over is fun and they wouldn't know or suspect a dayvig would become available until Day 3), by Day 4 three town will be dead (one kill by each scum member), and the mafia RB will almost certainly have enough for a dayvig shot. With the RB tripping up a few townies, probably 4 or 5 will be able to shoot, along with the mafia RB. With the scum shot being anonymous it goes to 6:3, in 4 shots they have to hit at least 1 scum, so they have 3 mislynches total. I don't think that's broken.

But another issue is that any town member who makes a dayvig shot proves that they actually had 4 XP, and that they therefore probably didn't carry out a scum kill. That might require an overhaul of the dayvig mechanic... any thoughts?
WhyMafia
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:32 am

Post by WhyMafia »

Hmm. But if the DK is private it's not like a player can prove they're the ones who submitted the DK
And that's another thing. If scum choose to NK people, the Goon can only carry out 1 kill every two nights, and even then., it's impossible for the goon to upgrade. Then say the auto farmer killed N2. You're basically preventing two of the scum team from ever upgrading/buying stuff if they choose to do kills. The RB might get lucky and get 2 XP, but it's better off to just train imo
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:16 am

Yeah I'm thinking I should give scum more ways to gain XP, or make the kill cheaper. The thing is I don't think it's FAR from balanced, since as it is the autofarmer and goon could alternate kills while the RB earns enough XP to dayvig. Another idea is to remove the public knowledge that the kill costs XP. That way the mafia members could be found out for not having enough XP but they could fakeclaim and attribute it to something else. Although that makes rolecop kind of OP; maybe I should change rolecop to Follower (which can't see through nearly as many fakeclaims).

But it is possible to confirm you made a daykill by saying something like "I'm shooting XXX now" and they XXX gets shot, and then you know it was that person who made the shot because clearly someone else wouldn't let them take credit for it.

What would happen if I made kills cost 1 XP? Then the Autofarmer could kill each night, unless they get Blocked. The Goon wouldn't change and would just become weaker by comparison, although the Goon's upgrade would still be strong. And the RB would have a decent chance to be able to kill every night. That's not bad.
WhyMafia
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:23 am

Post by WhyMafia »

In post 19, Something_Smart wrote:Yeah I'm thinking I should give scum more ways to gain XP, or make the kill cheaper. The thing is I don't think it's FAR from balanced, since as it is the autofarmer and goon could alternate kills while the RB earns enough XP to dayvig. Another idea is to remove the public knowledge that the kill costs XP. That way the mafia members could be found out for not having enough XP but they could fakeclaim and attribute it to something else. Although that makes rolecop kind of OP; maybe I should change rolecop to Follower (which can't see through nearly as many fakeclaims).

But it is possible to confirm you made a daykill by saying something like "I'm shooting XXX now" and they XXX gets shot, and then you know it was that person who made the shot because clearly someone else wouldn't let them take credit for it.

What would happen if I made kills cost 1 XP? Then the Autofarmer could kill each night, unless they get Blocked. The Goon wouldn't change and would just become weaker by comparison, although the Goon's upgrade would still be strong. And the RB would have a decent chance to be able to kill every night. That's not bad.
That's fair
WhyMafia
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:37 am

Post by WhyMafia »

Or maybe limit the number of DK's available? Or like make a bidding process?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:50 am

Bidding is a bit against the spirit of XP, which is more of a self-improvement thing than an actual purchase. But limiting the number of daykills per day is not a bad idea. Or I could make the price increase by 1 for each daykill made in the day, so that it still is possible to plan out multiple daykills but it's harder.

Another possibility is to change the dayvigs into night vigs. That would introduce way more uncertainty, especially with the mafia RB which could keep people from becoming confirmed.

I think making the scum kill cost 1 combined with either of the above would be at least enough to balance out the strength of the vig shots, if not too much.
WhyMafia
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
WhyMafia
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:06 am

Post by WhyMafia »

Are we going with that town is still informed that scum Night killing costs XP? If so, keep the night vig & 1 XP kill cost. That should be fine
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:13 am

It's definitely better, I'll have to run the numbers a bit taking blocked kills into account. Major buff for the scum autofarmer for sure. (And actually that means that the autofarmer can kill for free, so letting the goon kill for free is redundant. So I'll probably change the goon's upgrade.)

Also I have to clarify no-lynching in the rules. It's allowed, but I'd have to call it something else like end day.

Return to “Completed Game Topics”