The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Mini 1947: Board Game uPick Mafia: The Expansion! Design PT

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:19 pm

Post by The Betting Pool »

Here we go...

:rolls dice:
Last edited by The Betting Pool on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
The almighty combination of the penguin and the bunny. We will rule you!

...a hydra of Lucky2u and penguin_alien.
The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:41 pm

Player list:

morph the cat (Cabd + fferyllt)
Porkens
Chickadee
Arcade Pals (Dunnstral + MariaR)
ActionDan
TwoInAMillion
gerryoat
Creature
Mad King Ashnard (RadiantCowbells + Raskilnov)
Drixx
WhyMafia
Something_Smart
randomidget

Randomizing now: first 10 will be town, last 3 will be Mafia.

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:43 pm

1. Something_Smart
2. randomidget
3. Drixx
4. Porkens
5. TwoInAMillion
6. gerryoat
7. Arcade Pals (Dunnstral + MariaR)
8. WhyMafia
9. Chickadee
10. morph the cat (Cabd + fferyllt)

11. Mad King Ashnard (RadiantCowbells + Raskilnov)
12. ActionDan
13. Creature

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:49 pm

Game choices (first choices listed unless otherwise noted) (Mafia have asterisks):

Town players:

TwoInAMillion: Munchkin/Munchkin Quest--Munchkin Quest: Extra Parts here
WhyMafia: Monopoly--our choice of expansion/variation-->Monopoly: Legend of Zelda here
Something_Smart: One Night Ultimate Werewolf--Daybreak here
Porkens: Mad Scientist Monster Lab Escape here
Drixx: Pandemic--On the Brink here
randomidget: Smash Up--The Obligatory Cthulhu Set here
Arcade Pals: Lanterns--The Emperor's Gifts here
Chickadee: Lords of Waterdeep--Scoundrels of Skullport here
morph the cat: King's Armory--Rhette the Pirate here
gerryoat: Space Cadets--Dice Duel – Die Fighter here

Mafia Players

ActionDan: Shadow Hunters--11 card expansion here
Mad King Ashnard: Settlers of Catan--5-6 player expansion here
Creature: Stratego--Legends here

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:07 pm

TwoInAMillion: Munchkin/Munchkin Quest--Munchkin Quest: Extra Parts here

Lucky's thoughts.

I was thinking some kind of backup. Essentially this "expansion" is literally extra parts...

PA: Maybe can steal a power to use each night from a dead player; expanded on N3 and beyond to get a one-shot to choose a living player to steal their power for the night, effectively roleblocking them as well.

Lucky: I don't know about that. I think we are interacting with the dead too much with other roles and this one seems less necessary than the others.

Double voter; when on lynch wagon expands to let him redo the dead player's previous night action if he chooses (can only be moved once every 24 hours, void at LyLo) (extra vote shows up as Meeple)
Last edited by The Betting Pool on Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:07 pm

WhyMafia: Monopoly--our choice of expansion/variation-->Monopoly: Legend of Zelda here

Lucky's thoughts

Combining Zelda and Monopoly. A key Monopoly mechanic is landing on property and paying rent. I think this translates well into Mafia by having an ability that triggers when they are targeted. A LoZ themed ability but I don't know what yet. Circle back to this

PA: Maybe once they're targeted 4-5 times times (hotel equivalent) they get a one-shot BP?

Lucky: I like that, but 4 to 5 might be too much for a BP pay off. 3 is the magic number for property sets, use that?

PA: And before they trigger it, they get to know each night how many people targeted them and one random identity of that subset. So the expansion power is the first time they get a set of being targeted they get a 1-shot activatable BP? Protects from one shot one night, lost if not actually shot the night it's activated.

Lucky: I can go with the how many people targeted them but for balance I don't think we need to give an identity too. Number is enough.

PA: Actually thinking maybe they get to 'watch' someone else? Gives them a more active chance to accumulate sets of three visitors and provides more generally useful info to the town. Do we give them a BP per set of three? If so, can it be made transferable? This also makes the ninja and strongman more useful for scum to have. Also, this seems to be a motion detector only seeing actions performed on their target.
Last edited by The Betting Pool on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:57 am, edited 7 times in total.

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:07 pm

Something_Smart: One Night Ultimate Werewolf--Daybreak here

Lucky's thoughts

A bit on the nose with this one. Let me see what roles were added and come back

PA: There's a Village Idiot. Need I say more?

Lucky: You're going to have to, I don't know how that would work in our game.

PA: Aw, c'mon, you don't want to make someone a Village Idiot? At least their role name...

Ahem.

So we're on the same page, the role moves everyone's role card one space either direction or not at all. Let this player pick one person per night, and all their actions move down one spot on the living player list as per the OP. Once at least one 'werewolf' is dead, they can choose whether the targeting goes up or down one space. Can't pick the same person twice.

Lucky: yea I'm sold there.
Last edited by The Betting Pool on Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:07 pm

Porkens: Mad Scientist Monster Lab Escape here

Lucky's thoughts

You can mash your enemies Play-Doh monsters and make them lose a turn. Maybe a roleblocker?

PA: Could delay their night action resolution to the next night? Outright block as a one-shot thing?

Lucky: sure, but for the block on day 2 and beyond?

PA: Delaying things is probably more informative, and making it a block after the first day is overpowered. Or are you asking what triggers the ability to make it a roleblock one time?
Last edited by The Betting Pool on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:08 pm

Drixx: Pandemic--On the Brink here

PA: I'd like to have a Virulent ability and expand into a Mutation for this? And nothing protective, go against the obvious?

Lucky: how about making Drixx weak, with the passive ability that it spreads to all those who target him? If it spread to atleast X people, he is allowed to vig one target in the infected to "make the cure" and everyone loses the weak modifier.

PA: Hm, could get ugly with multiple weak players running around by Day Three depending. Maybe make it only last one night? His vig pool can still be everyone who has targeted him, but he doesn't get that list of names until at least 3 people have 'mutated' (3 mutation cards in the game). Once he has his vig shot, he can choose whether to turn on the 'spread weak' modifier going forward.

PA again: We are actually short on protectives, make him a Doc after the three people have mutated instead, pool being anyone who's targeted him.

Lucky: yeah that can work.
Last edited by The Betting Pool on Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:55 am, edited 5 times in total.

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:08 pm

randomidget: Smash Up--The Obligatory Cthulhu Set here

Lucky's thoughts

As I mentioned, a neat trigger would death related like x town members dead or something. As for what ability it would start with and evolve to, not sure yet.

PA: Something with death, where maybe once it triggers they find out who each NK'd player targeted? So auto-track on NK'd players only. Expand to a one-time use neighborhood for 24 hours with the most recent dead player?

Lucky: I don't think we need to go that far. Just vanilla town until X people are dead then he gets a neighborhood, lets say for a whole night phase with the most recent dead TOWN player. We could do mafia here, but we'd have to add that we don't alignment flip that player or something. If we flipped a mafia player and he got a neighborhood with them, it's pointless.

PA: Make it that after 3 town players are dead he can neighborize the next townie to turn up dead for one phase, day or night depending on when it falls. Expands after that so that following the next scum death the next two dead townies, he can give them a neighborhood that they can post in for the rest of the game (no access to dead thread, obv.) but he can't post there, only read it. They don't know who can see it, and if he confirms its existence in-thread it melts back into the shadows.

So:
Dead townies 1-3 (dead scum irrelevant in there) nothing happens, 4th dead townie he gets a one-phase neighborhood. After that death, the next scum death means the next two dead townies to turn up get the read-only neighborhood.

Lucky: this does play into the madness quite well because it's like voices in his head. It only really works if he lives to the second half of the game though, which I guess is ok. I'm good here.
Last edited by The Betting Pool on Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:08 pm

Arcade Pals: Lanterns--The Emperor's Gifts here

Lucky: had to look up a video for this because I wasn't getting it: Video

This is a literal unusual idea but how about this: Jack of All Trades but assigning a cost to each ability Like Watcher 5, Doctor 4, Roleblock 3. Start with no favors but earn favors based on how far away from Lynch they ended the day with. If they were L-4 they earn 4 favors. Favors can't be carried over to next night.

PA: I like it, but maybe their number of favors is based on the worst their 'wagon' ever was? So getting run up to L-2 makes it 2 favors even if all those votes go away by the end of the day. One-use each, give a pool of five abilities: Watcher: 5, Cop: 4, Roleblock: 3, Tracker: 2, Neighborizer: 1. Expansion is the first time they get through a day phase with honor intact (no votes placed on them) they may forgo the usual honor to instead have a one-shot to make any player Beloved the next day phase?

Lucky: That might be harder to track though. I suppose if we only watch actual vote counts it works fine. I could do this either way.

PA: It's the only person whose vote tally we'd have to track, shouldn't be too hard to mod over? I can take personal responsibility, ha.
Last edited by The Betting Pool on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:08 pm

Chickadee: Lords of Waterdeep--Scoundrels of Skullport here

Lucky: God this is one of those games that you need a damn hour long tutorial session for and takes 6 hours to finish. Anyway, personal opinion aside, how about we make them a suicidal jester? jk jk.

PA: ...yeesh.

Coming back to this, like the Space Cadets below, maybe we see how other town roles shake out and fill this in depending on what balance town needs?

Vote Freezer (one per day) until shares a wagon on 10 unique targets (each counts only once per day), then becomes a Voyeur (flavor it as Spy)
Last edited by The Betting Pool on Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:09 pm

morph the cat: King's Armory--Rhette the Pirate here

PA: Character card here: Voila Thinking something with Cheat and Steal for the main PR, use the parrot for the expansion?

Lucky: Dice rolling isn't bastard right? We could give them Roll a d20 and get one shot BP for between 15 and 19 and on a 20 something else. For the parrot evolution, add +3 to all rolls after parrot is activated.

PA: I don't think it's bastard per se, but it does take some of the skill out of using it. I was thinking about maybe something where they had to predict the NK to unlock a power for the next night? Maybe evolved into a parrot they get a repeat chance and so they can predict just 'who will be dead' by the next night phase, including by lynch. Give them a Loud Vig shot if they guess right, since pirates aren't exactly stealthy? Parrot only shows up if they shoot scum.

Lucky: yeah I'm on board with this. Make sure their prediction also acts as a visit.
Last edited by The Betting Pool on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:44 am, edited 5 times in total.

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:09 pm

gerryoat: Space Cadets--Dice Duel – Die Fighter here

Lucky: I'm drawing a huge blank here...

PA: So, chaos with dice, trying to hit an enemy ship with torpedoes and mines, expansion adds fighter pilots. So expands to become Macho after four total 'torpedoes or mines/town or scum deaths' have landed. Base power is...let's see what we're short on category-wise when it's all together and make something fit here then?

Gunsmith who becomes Macho after 4 total deaths
Last edited by The Betting Pool on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:09 pm

ActionDan: Shadow Hunters--11 card expansion here

Lucky: Another psuedo mafia game. This one was always focused on specific roles so how about a role cop?

PA: Make it a role cop that provides the full role PM, and once he's targeted someone he can 'Neutral-ize' them, aka roleblock them, on any subsequent night.

Lucky: the only problem I see here is that we have town roleblock type so far and if claims come out it's unlikely it won't cause a mess. Maybe some other secondary effect?

PA: I kind of expect scum to improvise their own fake claim roles, and both are limited roleblocks? Scum also do need to actually have some ability to stop town actions. We can maybe provide some other more 'town-positive' minor power; I think that's what we did last game.
Last edited by The Betting Pool on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:09 pm

Mad King Ashnard: Settlers of Catan--5-6 player expansion here

Lucky: Building roads, trading wood for sheep, this is a fun game and one I actually own :D

Trading is big thing in this game. How about "trading" results? "Target player's results are also shared with you" for tonight. It's basically a lie checker, and gives scum info on what Town has learned. Expand it to add a redirector effect cause... roads?

PA: Ooh, I like this! If they can also redirect the person whose results they're getting that gets crazy powerful. I think they should also be seen as targeting their target's target. If that makes sense? Redirection should activate upon completing a road of five dead Townies with no scum deaths (always arranged to be least advantageous to scum, so if a scum and townie die on the same night it adversely affects any attempted road-building) and '5' ties in with the 5-6 player expansion. One shot on the redirect, otherwise they're just playing puppeteer for any townie for the rest of the game, and if five town in a row have died town is already up a creek.

Lucky: lol ya if 5 die maybe not pile on them heh. It sounds good if we can write the role in a way that makes sense.

PA: Leave it to me! We might also want to give them something more pro-town as a minor thing here too.
Last edited by The Betting Pool on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:09 pm

Creature: Stratego--Legends here

Lucky: How to make this a good mafia role... In stratego, you don't get to see the piece until you're fighting it. it's a secret until then. Maybe a godfather?

PA: So far we don't have enough cop roles to make a godfather worthwhile. Could give them a pool of powers that are traditional, like one-shot ninja, one-shot godfather, one-shot strongman; then the expansion is access to two more powers: 'flight' and 'teleportation,' or one-shot ascetic and one-shot commuter. Maybe those are each made available individually if Creature is on the lynching wagon of someone with a higher number on the player list than him? (...we might want to number the player list)

Lucky: you've completely lost me here. I can go with pool of powers but maybe simplify the rest of it a bit?

PA: Creature is player 8 as per the game OP. He starts out with a pool of one-shot powers he can use: {ninja, godfather, strongman}. For the first two times he is on a successful lynch wagon for any players numbered 9-13, he adds one power from the {ascetic, commuter} pool to his existing pool in that order (gets ascetic added first).

Plus one-shot gladiator
Last edited by The Betting Pool on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:52 am

Town powers summary:

--Double voter; when on lynch wagon expands to let him redo the dead player's previous night action if he chooses (can only be moved once every 24 hours, void at LyLo) (extra vote shows up as Meeple)

-- Partial Motion Sensor, if he gets a total of three motion results on a single target he gains a 1-shot BP, giftable to the triggering target or himself.

-- Blind redirect one spot down on living player list, expands to be able to choose up or down.

-- Delayer (target's actions resolve the next night instead); the first time he escapes all votes at the end of the day (zero votes on him) he gains a 1-shot roleblock in his arsenal, not to be used concurrently with his Delaying power

-- One-night Weakifier when targeted, also becomes a Doc after Weakening three people

-- Neighborizer who works with the dead

-- Favor-Based JOAT with an honorable expansion to make someone Beloved for one day

-- Predictive Visiting Loud Vig, expanding predictions to be the deaths from day or night play

-- Gunsmith who becomes Macho after 4 total deaths

Mafia powers summary:

-- Full Rolecop, expands to perform a roleblock on anyone he's previously targeted

-- Night Action Info Receiver, expands to redirect a player and get any info they get as a result of their night action

-- One-shot activatable JOAT pool of {ninja, strongman, doctor}, expanding to add {ascetic, commuter}; also one-shot Gladiator (first half of day phase, before LyLo only; if survive Gladiate, expands to get 1-shot BP for the subsequent night)

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:03 pm

General Role PM format:

Welcome Player X!

You are [game name], a [Town/Mafia] [Role Name]

Powers:

Play the game
--During the day you may post in the game thread and cast your vote.

MAFIA ONLY:
Alliances
--You may communicate with your fellow Mafia in this PT as long as you are alive. You and your cohorts may designate one of your number to shoot another player.

MAFIA ONLY: In addition you may choose to perform ONE of the following actions:

Power name
--

Expansion Power name
--

You win with the Town when all non-town-aligned players are dead and at least one town-aligned player is alive./You win with the Mafia when players from your faction are the only ones alive or nothing can prevent that from happening.
Last edited by The Betting Pool on Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:10 pm

In post 18, The Betting Pool wrote: {leaving these in quote blocks for readability}

Welcome TwoInAMillion!

You are Munchkin: Extra Parts, a
Town Double Voter, with a Repeating Action Expansion
!

Powers:

Play the game

So Much Backstabbing, So Little Time
--You have two votes to cast each day phase. Your first vote is cast publicly and will be displayed as your normal username (TwoInAMillion). Your second vote is cast by PM and will be displayed as
Meeple
. This second vote goes away at LyLo.

Snatch An Extra Power!
--If you end the day with either of your votes on the player who is lynched, you may choose to repeat their most recent action(s) the following night. You will not be told what the action is, but if it would normally receive resulting information from the mod, you will get that information.

You win with the Town when all non-town-aligned players are dead and at least one town-aligned player is alive.
Last edited by The Betting Pool on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:15 pm

In post 18, The Betting Pool wrote:
Welcome Player X!

You are Monopoly: Legend of Zelda, a
Town Partial Motion Sensor, with a One-Shot Bulletproof Fairy Bottle Expansion!

Powers:

Play the game

Collect All The Properties
--Each night you may choose a player. You will learn how many other players visited your target.

Don't Break The Bottle!
--The first time one of your targets is visited at least three times on the night you target them, you will obtain a One-Shot Bulletproof Fairy Bottle. The following night you may gift it to the player who received three visitors or keep it for yourself. It will protect its recipient from one night kill action during the remainder of the game.

You win with the Town when all non-town-aligned players are dead and at least one town-aligned player is alive.
Last edited by The Betting Pool on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:19 pm

Welcome Something_Smart!

You are One Night Ultimate Werewolf: Daybreak, a
Town Village Idiot, with a Confusion Choice Expansion!

Powers:

Play the game

You Didn't Know Any Better...
--Each night you may target one player. If that player takes any actions, any and all of their targets will be moved down one spot on the numbered player list of living players in the Opening post.

...But Now More Chaos!
--Once at least one Mafia player is dead, you may choose if your action will move the target choice up or down the living player list.

Last edited by The Betting Pool on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Welcome Porkens!

You are Mad Scientist Monster Lab Escape, a
Town Delayer, with a One-Shot Roleblocker Expansion!

Powers:

Play the game

They Lose A Turn!
--Each night you may target a player and the resolution for any actions that player takes will be delayed until the following night phase. Any actions they take will count as being performed on that following night phase for all game purposes.

Escape for Victory
--The first time you end a day phase with zero players voting you, you gain access to a one-shot roleblock. It may not be used on the same night you try to delay a player's action(s).

Last edited by The Betting Pool on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:31 pm

Welcome Drixx!

You are Pandemic: On the Brink, a
Town Self-Watching Weakener, with a Limited Pool Doctor Expansion!

Powers:

Play the game

Mutations Abound!
--The first three players who target you over the course of the game will become Weak on the following night. They will be informed of this status change and its duration, but not its cause. You will be informed of who has become Weak.

Stay Ahead Of The Virus, Distribute The Cure!
--Once three different players total have become Weak as a result of visiting you, you will become a Limited Pool Doctor. Each night you may target one player who has become Weak at sometime during the game. That player will be protected from all nightkills for that night phase.

Last edited by The Betting Pool on Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Betting Pool
The Betting Pool
Goon
The Betting Pool
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:39 pm

Welcome randomidget!

You are Smash Up: The Obligatory Cthulhu Set, a
Town Dead Neighborizer, with a Dead Neighborhood Creator Expansion!

Powers:

Play the game

One Small Creeping Tentacle For Cthulhu...
--When the fourth town player dies by any means, you will get a neighborhood with that player for the following one game phase (either day or night).

...Two Entwined Tentacles For The Town!
--After the above neighborhood activates and a subsequent Mafia player dies, you may give each of the next two dead Town players a one game phase neighborhood with another living player. No more than one of these neighborhoods may be with you.

Last edited by The Betting Pool on Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Completed Game Topics”