Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Open 798 | PYPX/Y+I/M | Mafia PT (over)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:18 am

Post by the worst »

Hello scums.

During drafting phase 1, please vote for one of the following abilities:

multitasking
: the entire scumteam will become multitasking, meaning that they can carry out both the factional nightkill and any draft powers, in the same night phase.

OR

informed
: at the end of the second draft phase, the scumteam will receive a piece of information about the draft. if there are any role pairings which were not taken during the draft, the scumteam will be informed of one of these pairings. if there are multiple, they will be informed of one at random. if all role pairings were taken during the draft, the scumteam will be informed of this.

please also submit your number draft as per usual :)

ALSO: if all 3 of you agree to it, I will create a discord server where you may discuss the game amongst yourselves in addition to this pt. I would prefer to release it publicly at endgame.

Spoiler: copy of role PMs
Welcome,
lilith2013
. You are a
Mafia Jailkeeper
, along with your partners, Something_Smart and Hoopla.

Abilities:

Factional communication: At any time you may talk with your partners here.
Factional kill: Each night phase, one of you or your partners may perform the factional kill.
Jail: Each night phase, you may target another player in the game to attempt to jail them, blocking any night actions they might take and protecting them from a single kill.

Win condition:

You win if at least half of the living players are mafia (or if nothing can prevent the same).

Welcome,
Something_Smart
. You are a
Mafia 1-shot redirector
, along with your partners, lilith2013 and Hoopla.

Abilities:

Factional kill: Each night phase, one of you or your partners may perform the factional kill.
1-Shot Redirector: On one night of your choice, you may select a player to "redirect". If they are using an action that night, they will be redirected to another player of your choice.

Win condition:

You win if at least half of the living players are mafia (or if nothing can prevent the same).

Welcome,
Hoopla
. You are
Mafia Goon
, along with your partners, lilith2013 and Something_Smart.

Abilities:

Win condition:

Mafia Informed

Greetings, scumteam. You have successfully drafted the Informed factional ability.

As a part of this ability, you are aware that the
Doctor or Roleblocker
bracket has not been selected.
Last edited by the worst on Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:56 am

Post by lilith2013 »

l m a o
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:56 am

Post by Something_Smart »

it's been a long time since I've been this happy to roll scum. :lol:
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:01 am

Post by lilith2013 »

duck did you rig the rng? I feel like it shouldn't be possible for this to keep happening
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:01 am

so my original idea was going to be for us to choose our numbers without coordinating, to confound the stats which show that scum are less likely to collide and thus are more likely to be higher in the draft.

BUT, we have Hoopla on our team, who is the stats master. So I was wondering if maybe it's better to just intentionally collide. Though the problem with that is that people would expect that out of both me and Hoopla, being both mechanically-minded people who were in the last run. So it would lose a lot of its effectiveness.

So right now I am feeling that just independent number selection is best. What do you guys think?

pedit: that was literally my first response to seeing the PM xD
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:04 am

Post by Hoopla »

hi friends!
In post 0, the worst wrote:ALSO: if all 3 of you agree to it, I will create a discord server where you may discuss the game amongst yourselves in addition to this pt. I would prefer to release it publicly at endgame.
i prefer organising my thoughts in posts, but that's just me...
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:05 am

Post by the worst »

this libel. i should have screenshotted the random.org page. sigh.
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:06 am

Post by lilith2013 »

shhhh
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:06 am

Post by lilith2013 »

I like discord because I'm pretty spammy. i have pretty much no opinion on mech stuff
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:07 am

Post by lilith2013 »

also it's an honor to meet the legendary hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:27 am

Post by Hoopla »

so, we have two options:

1) pick three unique numbers to try and land higher in the draft, and scoop up a good chunk of the PR's (2-3 roles ideally)
2) collide on two (or three!) numbers and tank our draft position and try to win through attrition.

interestingly, the two bonus powers (multitasking, informed) seem to synergise better with each of those two options.

- if we collect a lot of roles, multitasking makes sense, as the chances of getting in a situation where one of us wants to use an action + NK increases.
- whereas, if we tank our draft picks, it's likely we'll get 0 or 1 role and don't really have a need for multitasking. information on a role pairing that is available gives us an extra fakeclaiming option. this, coupled with being hidden in less obvious positions in the draft could be a good combo.

my main concern about tanking our draft picks is what something_smart mentioned: given we're both very mechanically conscious players, if one of us flips scum, we probably won't be getting much credit from a number analysis perspective. to the point, where it may not be worth it.

there's a lot of people that played in or watched last PYP game and would be aware of the possibility of number-doubling.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:28 am

Post by Hoopla »

In post 9, lilith2013 wrote:also it's an honor to meet the legendary hoopla
nice to meet you;)
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:29 am

Post by Hoopla »

In post 8, lilith2013 wrote:I like discord because I'm pretty spammy. i have pretty much no opinion on mech stuff
maybe once the draft is over we can switch to discord.
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:44 am

Post by lilith2013 »

the "pick our own numbers and multitasking" sounds yolo-y enough for me
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:49 am

I'm fine with PT or Discord.
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:50 am

Post by lilith2013 »

pt is also fine, I can be just as spammy here as anywhere else
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:53 am

Post by Hoopla »

it's a shame we have to pick multitasking/information before we know where we'll land in the draft or what roles we get.

we could easily pick multitasking then end up being a team of three goons.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:54 am

That does still help us, though, because then the town knows scum is multitasking and people won't be cleared for taking their action.
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:55 am

Post by lilith2013 »

does it get announced publicly?
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:02 pm

Post by Hoopla »

In post 17, Something_Smart wrote:That does still help us, though, because then the town knows scum is multitasking and people won't be cleared for taking their action.
that is true.

however, it makes me think: if this is announced publicly, choosing information could have the added benefit of infusing some extra paranoia into the game. if scum knows a role pairing doesn't exist in the game, it opens up an extra fakeclaim for us - and even if we don't use it, all the other roles are now coloured by extra uncertainty.
In post 18, lilith2013 wrote:does it get announced publicly?
yep, at the end of the first draft phase (when the draft order is revealed).
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:17 pm

In post 19, Hoopla wrote:however, it makes me think: if this is announced publicly, choosing information could have the added benefit of infusing some extra paranoia into the game. if scum knows a role pairing doesn't exist in the game, it opens up an extra fakeclaim for us - and even if we don't use it, all the other roles are now coloured by extra uncertainty.
The question is, how much is that uncertainty worth? It's not like the risk of someone claiming a PR actually being a goon is all that scary. The scary part would be if a role like doctor isn't taken, and people are afraid that a roleblocker is fakeclaiming something else. But that's kinda unlikely and a risky strategy for scum to claim something else having taken roleblocker if there's a chance someone below them tried for it and didn't get it.

I feel like for paranoia multitasking is probably better, but for actual utility informed is better.

I guess maybe what informed does do is increase the chance of PR claims being scum, but only if no VT claims to have tried for that role. That's interesting.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:27 pm

Post by Hoopla »

and what about the bold and sexy gambit: all of us picking the same number.

triple 1.

for style.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:34 pm

I think that's too far in the realm of what people would expect from me, to say nothing of you.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:43 pm

Post by Hoopla »

yeah, i have a feeling that upon one of us flipping scum, the town will almost certainly reject number analysis wholesale, and may even veer into considering doubled players more than they should.

i think there will also be one or two people who are savvy enough to recognise the above^, and that our optimal strategy is in fact to not double-up.

then, others will chime in, and declare it WIFOM.

i think it should be easy enough to pick off people who are using number analysis in a meaningful way - so lets just pick unique numbers?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:13 pm

Yeah, I think I agree with that.

Return to “Completed Game Topics”