Playing to a future wincon

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #5 (isolation #0) » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:03 am

Post by callforjudgement »

As a mod, I explicitly allow playing to a future wincon. (However, so far I haven't run any games where win conditions can change.) I see every win condition as having an implicit "or change your win condition and fulfil your new win condition" attached to it, because that's how we determine who actually wins and loses, and thus it is in practice part of the win condition by definition.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #9 (isolation #1) » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:52 pm

If you're alternating alignment and know the rest of your scumteam, the correct solution is probably to get lynched while you're town and post the name of all your former scumbuddies in twilight. So I'm assuming you don't know your buddies, or don't have any (e.g. alternating between town and SK). In that case, the easiest solution is probably still to play to the town wincon, as you can do a lot more to screw up scum when you're scum than you can to screw up town when you're town. I guess you could be alternating between Town and Traitor, in which case the Traitor wincon might be an easier one (if you can arrange to be lynched on an appropriately numbered day). It's a pretty unfun and unbalanced role though and most people would dislike playing with it and dislike playing against it.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #13 (isolation #2) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:53 am

OTOH, if the cult realises you're helping them, they'll probably cult someone else. It makes more sense to deny the ability to play in a pro-town way to someone who's playing pro-town than to someone who's playing anti-town.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #17 (isolation #3) » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:07 am

It's not the only reason why people dislike alignment-changing games (although it is one of the main reasons).
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #19 (isolation #4) » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:36 pm

That's more an argument for "cult games suck because it's unclear what you should be doing to play towards your win condition", which I can definitely agree with.

That said, in your situation, playing to the town wincon was justified not because of some rule that you must play to a wincon that's about to change, but rather because you didn't know it would change (and couldn't influence it changing). It wouldn't be the first time that scum tried to bluff a townie into doing something directly counter to their own interests.
scum
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”