On Self-Appraisal (How To Become Great)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Post by AnonymousGhost »

In post 0, Mathdino wrote:But how often do you do that? Really. Actually. Go back through your game history on, say, D1s, and check your top scumreads and townreads. How often are they correct? Here's 3 games of my own:
Fascinating. I'll take a look at my finished games here on MS and submit my data.

On a related note, how do you meta correctly? And how could it be used incorrectly?
Talk Fast, Think Faster

BE LOUD! BE PROUD! BE ANTI-TOWN!
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (isolation #1) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:24 am

Post by AnonymousGhost »

Finished Town Games

Newbie 1840: Soccer - My scum push on Charadev was partly inspired by a difference in play style and my 0 skill in being able to tell a bad newbie town from bad newbie scum. UCVoyager snapped me out of my death tunnel and I nailed LaserGuy as scum on D2 after ferreting out some of the other options on the bad D1 wagon. Death tunneled on another newbie - who was ironically... the Cop - but I stuck with my scum read on Laser's slot and we lynched it. Town found each other pretty easily because we were so much more active than the mafia.

Takeaway: I can't read newbies.

Mico 759: Tarot Upick III - Replaced in on D2 IIRC and got shot N2. LOL. Went into immediate tunnel mode and was a hypocrite. Spouted off "role =/= alignment", but my death tunnel on Porkens was built on that now that I look at it in hindsight. Missed obvious scum who quick hammered on D2.

Takeaway: I need to stop scum reading a difference in play style.

Newbie 1833: Literally Mafia - Lol'd hammered a slot I acknowledged as town but didn't want to engage with. My bad. Completely missed obvious scum from one of my death tunnels. Nailed one scum - Ecto -, but put them on the back burner since I was in tunnel mode.

Takeaway: I need to stop death tunneling.

My strength as town, I'm a better scum hunter than a town hunter.
Talk Fast, Think Faster

AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (isolation #2) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:34 am

Post by AnonymousGhost »

In post 4, Mathdino wrote:Personally, the primary way I use meta is basically:

1. I observe a behaviour ingame that I think could be a scumtell.

2. I get paranoid, say to myself "I've seen town do that before..."

3. I go check up on their towngames. If they display the same behaviour, it's a nulltell (NAI). If I don't see the same behaviour, I become slightly more confident in my scumread.

4. If I wanna go further and I'm basically hopeless at reading a player otherwise, I can run stats on a player's towngames vs scumgames.
For example, I found an argument that I recognised from a player's previous scumgames. But they also used it in a couple towngames.
But they used it in a higher portion of their scumgames than their towngames over a large amount of meta. So even though it isn't DEFINITIVE, it can still be a scumtell in a Bayesian way.
To be frank, I'm too lazy to meta dive.

If or when I use meta - best example would be in Newbie Soccer -, I don't use it to create reads such as "X ends their sentences with ~'s more often as scum" or "X death tunnels on newbies." because that can be easily manipulated. I use meta primarily to reason whether or not this a player's behavior is suspicious or out of character and then make a judgement based on what they've done in the game that we're in.

In Newbie Soccer, I caught LaserGuy only because he was playing differently than what I was used to in Newbie: Literally Mafia - jumped on a wagon without any thought - and I kept pushing him and caught him in a lie.
Talk Fast, Think Faster

AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (isolation #3) » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:34 am

Post by AnonymousGhost »

In post 31, Harambey180 wrote:I just play. For fun. Cuz it's a game. I honestly don't care a lot about statistics and such. They'd only change over time.
Same. :)
Talk Fast, Think Faster

AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (isolation #4) » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:38 am

Post by AnonymousGhost »

Knowing how to listen to people and not impulsively scum reading them, and or lynching them, for having different reads than you can go a long way to improving your game play.
Talk Fast, Think Faster

Return to “Mafia Discussion”