Scummer D&D: new thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #455 (isolation #0) » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:27 pm

Post by Ether »

Hi! I haven't built a character yet but there's talk of me joining.

My rough idea right now is to go with a Beguiler. Someone with a rough background, who dreamed of marrying into money and does genuinely have a kind of sappy fairytale way of looking at it, who honed the enchantment magic that was one of the only things she was good at with that goal in mind and kind of graaaaaaaaadually realized as she got deeper into it that charming people into loving you is Not Okay. Kind of Merope from Harry Potter, without actually going forward with it?

I'm kind of rusty on this--I've never played 3.5 or been in a campaign that's made it past, like, level 4. So, uh, we'll see how this goes!
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #699 (isolation #1) » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Post by Ether »

[11:54] FakeGod: were you guys considering just heading down to next level without chasing Lociferasu?
[11:54] FakeGod: just curious
[11:55] Who: No
[11:55] Who: Or well, I wasn't, and nobody was talking about it
[11:55] FakeGod: it WAS an option
[11:55] FakeGod: I hope at least that was clear
[11:56] Who: We're murderhobos. You expect us to let someone continue to exist after we've fought them and they got away?
[11:57] FakeGod: I suppose, but Elleran for example pretty much never fights encounters he deems unnecessary
[11:57] Who: Elleran is not a murderhobo.
[11:58] Who: Well, I didn't want to fight GY1
[11:58] Who: But that was different
[11:59] GuyInFreezer: We are all murderhobos
[11:59] GuyInFreezer: One person wanting to avoid the fight wont change the inevitable next action
[11:59] Who: GY1 was not only unnecessary we were fighting a friendly person
[12:00] GuyInFreezer: Dunno she hated Selene and wanted her dead
[12:00] Telephone Cat: Didn't Lociferasu come after them?
[12:00] Who: (Or that was how I viewed the situation at the time)
[12:00] Who: Also, I assumed we would just have to fight Lociferasu later
[12:00] FakeGod: Lociferasu fled back into his inner sancteum, but the PCs chased him
[12:01] Telephone Cat: Was there a different direction? I thought that was just the way forward.
[12:01] Who: Would he have attacked us later if we hadn't killed him?
[12:01] Who: Yeah there were stairs
[12:01] FakeGod: stairs going to next level
[12:01] FakeGod: in the central water room
[12:01] Telephone Cat: The only stairs I remember were the ones into the water.
[12:02] FakeGod: I can't tell you whether he'd have attacked if you haven't killed him, although it's prob pretty likely
[12:02] Telephone Cat: I didn't realize it was optional, but, like, he did attack the PCs, and he also seems to have been responsible for raising Mirajen's party as death knights, so.
[12:03] Who: Letting him live would have violated the unwritten rules of adventuring
[12:03] FakeGod: it's pretty clear he's not a nice guy
[12:03] Telephone Cat: Did he actually speak again after you could see him and connect his voice to the one speaking with the woman?
[12:03] FakeGod: but it's also fairly likely that the encounter would be challenging
[12:04] FakeGod: yes I confirmed that it was the same voice
[12:04] Telephone Cat: I can't remember what he said.
[12:04] Who: Spellcasting I think
[12:04] Telephone Cat: Oh, okay.
[12:05] Who: Oh yeah, is it possible to use ghost sound to mimic the woman's voice?
[12:05] FakeGod: how good is your disguise?
[12:05] Who: Shit, but my bluff is great
[12:06] Telephone Cat: This is for seeing if Mirajen can identify it, not for actually tricking anyone.
[12:06] FakeGod: do you have major image
[12:06] Who: No
[12:06] FakeGod: ghost sound is too trashy
[12:06] Who: I figured that that was likely, just checking
[12:07] FakeGod: your 240p definition tv is too grainy for Mirajen's eyes
[12:07] Telephone Cat: She's from a medieval fantasy world, she should lower her standards!
[12:07] FakeGod: Mirajen never abandons her standards, only her comrades
[12:08] Telephone Cat: She did what she had to do, letting Allea die would have been a TPK anyway.
[12:08] GuyInFreezer: Did she take a penalty
[12:08] Who: Ether, she's probably used to something like programmed image or something
[12:08] GuyInFreezer: Like knight code violation
[12:09] FakeGod: if she actually abandoned her teammates and shit for selfish reasons then yeah she broke the code
[12:09] FakeGod: big time
[12:09] Telephone Cat: She even saved a random 14 year old while she was at it. She did her best.
[12:09] Who: She needed to do it though
[12:09] Who: She needed to survive to come find us
[12:11] Telephone Cat: All of the repeated "aura of sadness" talk makes me half-want to stick the amulet on Karouac's dead-reanimated-rekilled corpse, but rationally this probably would not do anything.
[12:11] Who: Undead turn to dust upon death
[12:11] Telephone Cat: Oh.
[12:11] FakeGod: (but maybe you should have tried it on his still animated corpse)
[12:11] Telephone Cat: I brought it up!
[12:12] Telephone Cat: But it did seem silly, Caligri said it couldn't bring back the dead.
[12:12] Telephone Cat: Shit. Would it have worked?
[12:12] Who: The other silly thing was that it would have taken a day
[12:12] Telephone Cat: Yeah, that too.
[12:12] FakeGod: I cannot confirm or deny until Act 6 ends
[12:12] FakeGod: he's also kinda STRONG; that encounter is very tough and you guys should have lost multiple characters on avg
[12:13] Telephone Cat: And you can't just stick his struggling angry sadcorpse in a bag of holding, there's the dimensional lock...
[12:13] Telephone Cat: Also I think he was technically a death knight and had FoM?
[12:13] FakeGod: yes and yes
[12:14] Who: Is it even possible to put an amulet on him then?
[12:14] FakeGod: I'd say it's nigh impossible
[12:14] Telephone Cat: I guess you could ask him nicely if he'd like to put it on?
[12:14] Telephone Cat: Maybe Command undead and hope for a natural 2...
[12:14] FakeGod: he actually continues to attack Mirajen even after a failed save vs Command Undead
[12:32] Telephone Cat: Hmm...the more I think about it, Allea's situation is weird. The slaves in that mine were held there for a while to take on that whole waterbreathing thing, right?
[12:33] Telephone Cat: And the kuotoa had already sacrificed a few other girls in that Act 2 ritual before the PCs jumped in.
[12:35] FakeGod: that is all correct
[12:36] GuyInFreezer: Tin foil: Allea is already corrupted
[12:36] Who: Despite the fact that circumstances should place her in Dr. K tier of towniness, she's super untrustworthy
[12:37] Who: She goes into Dr. Benedict tier of towniness
[12:38] Who: All of its previous occupants have been red herrings
[12:38] Telephone Cat: Someone should talk to her.
[12:38] Telephone Cat: Someone with a high sense motive.
[12:40] Telephone Cat: See how she feels about going back, see how she feels about lord Dagon.
[12:40] GuyInFreezer: Sense motive whats that
[12:40] Who: Imogen has highest
[12:40] Telephone Cat: It's the thing that Visage kept foiling for us even though I rolled fucking 27s.
[12:40] Who: I have high bluff though
[12:41] GuyInFreezer: I dont think i have any highest social skills
[12:41] Who: Diplo?
[12:41] GuyInFreezer: Oh that
[12:42] FakeGod: well let me know if you guys want to talk to Allea
[12:46] Who: We need a plan first
[...]
[12:49] Telephone Cat: Would Detect Evil see if Allea's tainted? I remember it worked that way for Raine under the sarcophagus's influence...
[12:49] Who: It's way overpriced
[12:49] GuyInFreezer: It wont work in the prison I think
[12:50] GuyInFreezer: Too much evil in area etc
[12:52] Who: I think it will
[12:52] Who: For interrogating Allea we need a reason why we're interrogating her without actually making it look like an interrogation
[12:52] Who: What do we want to know first
[12:52] Telephone Cat: She's been through a lot. Is she okay? Ask her what Brackendeep's like, just try to be her friend.
[12:53] Telephone Cat: There was downtime between Act 5 and 6, presumably that was her first time actually being on the surface world, even if she didn't see much of it except a small ruined town...
[12:55] FakeGod: "Wow. Surface world is basically just bunch of woods and burned down buildings."
[12:55] FakeGod: "0/10, would not recommend."
[12:56] Who: I would not expect the friendship angle to work
[12:56] Who: Like
[12:57] Who: She'd act the same whether or not she's evil
[...]
[13:01] Who: If she's evil, what would she probably want?
[13:04] Telephone Cat: If she's evil, she'd be in the same boat as the slaves from Act 2 and the cultists from Act 3. Except...the amulet does supposedly fix curses. It's just...I don't know, I think the kuotoa were legitimately planning to sacrifice her, but it's weird that they set that whole thing up and that it took so long that she developed waterbreathing? The situation is weird.
[13:04] Telephone Cat: ...Also just from a story perspective I kind of want to see Einar try to be her friend.
[13:05] Who: That could work
[13:05] Who: Good cop bad cop
[13:08] RadiantCowbells: Einar would definitely talk to Allea if there was some sort of time where it was a good idea
[13:10] Who: Interrogating her about Mirajen
[13:10] Who: That is how we do it
[13:11] lilith2013: uhhh am i going to be doing the interrogating
[13:11] Who: Possibly
[13:11] lilith2013: or can i stand in the background brandishing my dagger
[13:12] Who: It might be that just you're standing in the background and seeing whether or not she's telling the truth
[13:12] Telephone Cat: Um...yeah, don't overtly threaten her.
[13:12] Telephone Cat: You're taking a breather for Who to prepare Ghost Lantern anyway, right?
[13:13] Who: We just spent like an hour searching
[13:13] Telephone Cat: Right, that too.
[13:13] RadiantCowbells: And Einar sucks at searching and is easily distracted so
[13:14] Who: I feel like there's a strong risk you'll just annoy her
[13:14] Telephone Cat: It doesn't need to be intended as an interrogation on Einar's part, I assume he's not as paranoid as I am.
[13:15] FakeGod: Lilith you should deathattack her (paralysis vers.) and show her that you have her life in your hands
[13:15] RadiantCowbells: Or just kill her and sacrifice her to dagon and go full LLD dark side
[13:16] Telephone Cat: Once I officially take over as the archon, this is the first thing I am going to do.
[13:19] lilith2013: please, i'm not that evil
[13:19] lilith2013: i may be a serial killer but i prefer to be an unpossessed serial killer
[13:20] Who: I have no problem with that as an interrogation technique other than the fact that it oesn't seem likely to work
[13:20] Who: I think our best option is to ask her about Mirajen
[13:20] Who: And pretened we're suspicious of her
[13:21] Who: Uh, of Mirajen
[13:21] FakeGod: I'm quite amused at the moment, and you guys will see why I am quite amused when I explain but I can't explain without spoilering slightly and it's annoying
[13:22] Who: Also now that I think about the explanation for the lie, it's not really that much of a lie
[13:22] Who: Yes, she had to get through and rescue Allea
[13:22] Telephone Cat: I live to amuse. x_x
[13:22] Who: But she also needed the strength to rescue Allea
[13:23] Who: Dammit this would have been more convenient if we'd interrogated Hector before he died
[13:24] Telephone Cat: I dunno, I think Mirajen's town.
[13:24] Who: She's an L8 knight, a support character
[13:24] Who: She doesn't solo things
[13:24] Telephone Cat: She bravely runs away while other knights hold the bad guys off.
[13:24] lilith2013: also the deathknight thing made it sound like she abandoned them on purpose
[13:25] Who: I think she might be town, might be scum.
[13:25] Telephone Cat: Maybe, but the process of being turned undead kind of twists you to irrationally hate the living, right?
[13:25] Who: I think that Allea is a cultist of Vecna and she and Grimwire will become bffs.
[13:26] Who: And by "Become bffs", I mean "I'll murder her and take all her secret knowleedge"
[13:26] Who: Because that's what cultists of Vecna do when they meet each other
[13:27] Telephone Cat: This is not a very TN-with-an-archon thing to do!
[13:27] Who: It's not a very TN-with-an-archon to smite evil?
[13:28] Telephone Cat: You don't even have proof that she's evil!
[13:28] Who: This is my long term plan
[13:28] Who: Not short term
[13:29] Who: Part of the plan involves finding out that she is evil
[13:29] Telephone Cat: Like, yes, her situation is weird. But I think it's very unlikely that she was evil before being kidnapped, still not that likely now, and it would have been for reasons beyond her control.
[13:31] Who: I don't think she's Dagon-aligned
[13:32] Who: But Dagon is not the only villain
[13:32] Telephone Cat: Looking back, yeah, it does seem that Mirajen bailed on her own initiative.
[13:36] GuyInFreezer: Or its just a simple "you must go save our lady" cliche
[13:39] Telephone Cat: Hmm?
[13:40] Who: She made a suicidal attempt but got captured instead
[13:41] Who: If she had asked us for help instead of Hector she would have been able to help us
[13:42] Telephone Cat: Oh, yeah.
[13:42] Telephone Cat: To be fair, she didn't know there was a cavalry to call on, you hadn't arrived yet.
[13:43] Who: Okay, she should have gone to the nearest city and found a cavalry
[13:43] Telephone Cat: How's her knowledge of surface world geography? How long would that have taken?
[13:44] Telephone Cat: It wasn't feasible at all.
[13:44] Who: Find a magicmart
[13:44] Who: Buy potions of invis, dimdoor, silence
[13:45] Who: Walk up to Allea and dimdoor out
[13:45] Who: Uh, dimstep not dimdoor
[13:45] RadiantCowbells: Potion of dimdoor?
[13:45] Telephone Cat: Magicmarts are not that easy to find, and again, time constraints!
[13:46] Telephone Cat: When we were in Barrelsford, we couldn't just wander off and find a wand of CLW. That kind of thing makes NPCs, including Allea, die.
[13:46] Who: We were low levelled
[13:49] GuyInFreezer: So how does flanking diagonally with reach weapons again
[13:49] GuyInFreezer: Do i need to be like exactly opposite position or are there some leeways?
[13:49] Who: There are leeways
[13:50] Telephone Cat: Come on. You track your liege to a little surface world village, one where everything is on fire and Migali's set the altars up. You've never even been on this side of the ground in your life, you're totally alone except for a squire who's like 12 years old, Allea is going to die. No, you don't just wander off to explore a world where you don't even know where anything is.
[13:50] GuyInFreezer: Bc if lilith plays assassin and I go daring outlaw sneaking in and double SAing a boss needs to happen
[13:50] Who: See DMG page 308
[13:50] Telephone Cat: There's so much open space up here, there aren't any tunnels, anything could be anywhere!
(Some more information about the corruption effect from staying in the mines in Act 2 too long is here. Remove Curse working on the slaves would imply that the amulet would clear up Allea, though...)

Another thing maybe worth asking Allea is if she knew who the other girls who were sacrificed were?
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #701 (isolation #2) » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:19 am

Post by Ether »

Mirajen said it in the Act 6 cutscene. More details here. (tl;dr Brackendeep used to be the colony of a surface empire where the royal family all died under mysterious circumstances. Without the empire to defend it, other Underdark races attacked it. There are two military factions that rose to enough power to force a truce--the Order of Defiance, which is Pelorean and is led by an archangel called Raphmiel, and the Knights of the Dust, the legacy of a military commander called Orthrax who made a dark pact with a mysterious entity in exchange for serving it after his death.)

Now that I'm thinking about it, do we know which order Mirajen is from?

I guess I can't think of any rational reason to suspect Allea, considering the amulet, but meh.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #804 (isolation #3) » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:04 pm

Post by Ether »

This is a reminder that scrolls of CLW are 25gp a pop, and with very little earlygame healing, we probably all want to buy at least one.

At L2 it gets a biiiiiiiit better, since I have 3/day CLW then, and also two of us can use scrolls at that point. But the low healing in this party is going to make things tight.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #806 (isolation #4) » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:29 pm

Post by Ether »

Here's what I've got. It's independent of other characters, but feel free to talk and coordinate backstories etc etc:

Beryl turned to religion as an adult, after her daughter was killed in a hostage situation. (She and the father had broken up amicably years earlier.) She wasn't a Heironean at this point, she worshipped a more obscure LG deity.
(I am really not up on my D&D gods and don't have a good pick for who.)
She was very love and forgiveness and saw the best in a lot of shady people, that part's all still true.

I want to say that Beryl and her church eventually got involved in harboring an aasimar revolutionary claiming to be a prophet. She was still lured into a trap through her trusting nature. The information she gave up (charms were used, but charms alone wouldn't be enough) was used to dismantle her old church and capture and/or execute the aasimar. Beryl herself wasn't really a threat, she was a traumatized love-and-mercy hippy, so she got discreetly sold into slavery instead. (This probably didn't happen in Newhaven, but she was either sold in Newhaven or taken there. Being a fugitive from the local government would be a mess for the whole party; being a runaway human slave in a city where the law says you can't own humans isn't too bad, necessarily.)

She escaped. She escaped mostly through sheer being-super-pissed-off. She is still super pissed off. I think this was a bit less than a year ago, and now she's back. (She probably wouldn't want to be back here without other adventurers watching her, though.)

Here is my sheet! The build at L9 is here. No art yet.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #809 (isolation #5) » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Post by Ether »

So I can't really compare Brackendeep to past campaigns or talk about the difficulty, and the people who actually played this are gonna know what they're talking about more. But here we go!

I thought Day 2 was pretty great. The format of a bunch of connected minibosses who were each doing their own thing was a fun setup.
Although knowing how Day 3 goes, I'm wondering if it would really have even mattered if they'd survived.
I liked all of the sideplots going on all the time, all the things to do. In retrospect I feel kind of weird about how all of that was crammed into one day and that was effectively the
only
day, but...yeah.

The Raphmiel arc felt really anticlimactic--maybe it was just because of how things played out, but her story and the party's story just didn't seem to intersect at all. She teleported in, she teleported out, arc over. Day 3 in general felt really rushed and disjointed, buuuuuuut that is probably because the party jumped into the boss fight first thing? (When Trinity killed the homunculus, I thought that meant she'd try to ambush the party after the fight alongside her monster after all the other fights down there were done...)

What was Pastel's deal? Were the modern Knights of Dust tied to Dagon? What affected whether Dagon got his hands on Allea if Besari/the vampires/that one changeling ever successfully caught her? Did all the NPCs at the restaurant do anything?

I kind of wish there had been more ties between earlier acts and Brackendeep. Even Caligri's amulet didn't really come up, and I'm not totally clear how it would have...and I guess it makes
sense
that nobody on the surface ever showed up in the City of Monsters, but it'd still have been cool--I'm looking forward to a campaign that takes place around the same region.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #823 (isolation #6) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:01 am

Post by Ether »

Notes to self:

-Scoulis's AC is probably like 17 or 18. Don't go nonlethal; if we want him alive, we do it by stabilizing him with a Cure Minor Wounds.
-He already got out of jail once, though. If we don't finish the job, he might come back.
-Daze might be a better anti-Scoulis spell, since its range is safer and there's no friendly fire. Grease isn't ideal because his reflex saves are good.

-Keep the casseroles exactly where they were before the fight broke out. Prepare some Detect Poisons tomorrow--I think some of us ate it and didn't get poisoned, implying that the hit was specifically on Fleur? (With Bartholomew taking the bullet because he ate everything and Fleur was just picking out the crab.)
-That implies that Scoulis just wanted us out of the way, but he (and his employer?) actively wanted Fleur dead.
-As a changeling, Vix can take on different identities while she's doing charm interrogations, she doesn't have to be one of the adventurers who just kicked our prisoner's ass. This is really squeamish for Beryl, but
really
useful for us. (And in this case, Beryl hates Scoulis enough that her main objection would be that he's not dead yet.)
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #824 (isolation #7) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:45 pm

Post by Ether »

Tobias has a scar on his right eye.

I am not saying that Tobias is scum. But I am saying that a future where Scoulis survives is a future where Scoulis is 100% guaranteed to break out and impersonate him.

So this is an awkward position! Aparently Tobias REALLY wants Scoulis alive to a degree I didn't realize before, and wouldn't knowingly have recruited Beryl to kill him? I can solve the Beryl recruitment problem by saying that Solace talked her down, but now I'm convinced out of character that his execution would solve a lot of problems and save a lot of lives down the road. A Beryl who's 100% determined to kill him would have been really helpful.

Less important, but Scoulis might have taken his innkeeper identity not because it was a convenient guy with a scar, but because he knew the route Fleur and Bartholomew were taking and had deliberately taken over the inn to intercept them.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #830 (isolation #8) » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:17 am

Post by Ether »

We also got Scoulis's chain shirt, two daggers and 23gp off of him.

I'm taking the longsword and Scoulis's chain shirt for now.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #831 (isolation #9) » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:41 am

Post by Ether »

So as long as we're in the village, we probably want plans in place for if anything bad happens to it. I'd recommend Dunnstral have an Obscuring Mist on hand. Vix also has it, and they should work as spots for any goblins to hide while we're fighting.
As I move my vote
LOUDER
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #844 (isolation #10) » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:26 am

Post by Ether »

Where have all the old gods gone
And where's the king we serve?
Where's Carcosa's overlord
To take what he deserves
Isn't there a wise man to tell me where to be?
Late at night I walk through the swamp and I seek his majesty

The King in Yellow
We'll surely find the King in Yellow by the end of the night
We've waited so long and we've held on so fast
And at last all the stars are aligned
The King in Yellow
The world will serve the King in Yellow by the morning light
Geometry cracks and the stars will burn black
As reality caves to his might
Caves to his might

Sometime after midnight
So says Endothel's prophecy
Somewhere in the deepest swamp
He enters our reality
Racing on the thunder, furthering his reach
He's gonna find a mortal to precipitate the breach

The swamp is hungry but it won't be enough
A flash of yellow splits the sky
And I swear I will see his face before I die
Through this world to the Far Realms beyond
Through the screams and the pain
I can feel his approach like whispers in my brain...

The King in Yellow
We'll surely find the King in Yellow by the end of the night
We've waited so long and we've held on so fast
And at last all the stars are aligned
The King in Yellow
The world will serve the King in Yellow by the morning light
Geometry cracks and the stars will burn black
As reality caves to his might
Caves to his might
As I move my vote