Best Role Ideas?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
FakedBlogger
FakedBlogger
Goon
FakedBlogger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1050 (ISO) » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:17 pm

Post by FakedBlogger »

Modifier: Rich / X-Shot Rich / X-Shot Y-Day Rich

You are a
X-Shot, Y-Day, Rich Townie
. You are a wealthy member of the community and once you're gone people will listen to your last will.

You may PM the mod during the night to announce your decision upon X players to inherit your voting power for Y dayphases and a '
if you are reading this it means I'm dead
' -type message, which will be featured in the flavor of the following daystart.
Runner
Runner
Goon
Runner
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1051 (ISO) » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:29 am

Post by Runner »

Has there been a game which was a UPick of ideas in this thread?
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #1052 (ISO) » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:10 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Being able to UPick an entire role is typically a bad idea, because there are no resources subsequently left to the mod to balance the game.

This is why most UPicks are based on flavour.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1053 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:36 am

Post by kuribo »

Loose-Cannon Cop.

One more stunt like that and you're off the force FOR GOOD.

You may investigate a player at night, but if at any time you receive a not guilty result, you will be unable to investigate anymore.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Banakai
Banakai
Goon
Banakai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1054 (ISO) » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:15 am

Post by Banakai »

In post 1041, theelkspeaks wrote:You are an
Easily Discouraged Cop
Each night, you may investigate one player to determine if they are town or anti-town. However, if you ever target a pro-town player, you become discouraged with your own abilities and cease investigating.

on the last page
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1055 (ISO) » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:51 am

Post by popsofctown »

You are a
Town Harlequin
. The Scum Funstopper maintains a "yes" or "no" guess on whether each townie is Town Harlequin. If you are lynched and the Scum Funstopper was guessing "yes", you die as normal. If you are lynched and the Scum Funstopper was guessing "no", the lynch fails, the mod confirms your alignment in thread, and you get one shot of Hider, Doctor, Cop, and Watcher that all must be used that night. You may also view the Scum Funstopper role pm.
You win with the town.

You are a
Scum Funstopper
. There is one Town Harlequin. You maintain guess of "yes" or "no" for each player in the game not on your scumteam, indicating whether you think that player is Town Harlequin. PM the mod at any time during the day to modify any of your guesses before the lynch scene, or to view your current guesslist. You are currently guessing "no" on each player.
When a player is lynched, if your guess is correct on whether that player is town Harlequin, nothing happens. If your guess is "Yes" but the player is not the town Harlequin, night phase is skipped. If your guess is "No", but the player is Town Harlequin after all, the Town Harlequin will survive and receive several bonuses. You may also view the Town Harlequin role pm.
If you die, your role is passed on to a teammate.
Your buddies are X, Y, and Z, you win when only scum players survive or nothing can prevent the same.

I simultaneously hate Jesters but want them to somehow be a thing.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #1056 (ISO) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:59 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

Paranoid Knife Owner

A PGO that works through bulletproof vests
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #1057 (ISO) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:22 pm

Post by Ircher »

wait, when was this thread a thing?

But Grand Idea is much better.
Links: User Page | GTKAS | Ratings
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [In Signups: 6/9]
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1058 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:11 am

Post by Umlaut »

You are a
Town Mass-Surveillance Cop
(better name plz?)

Each night you may choose exactly
X
players to investigate. You will receive a
guilty
result if at least one of those players is aligned against the Town, or a
not guilty
result if none of the players are aligned against the Town. If at least one investigation fails, you will receive no result.
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #1059 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:33 am

Post by mith »

I don't have a good name for this:

Doctor Variant

You may target one player at night. If they are the target of the Mafia's nightkill, they will be protected
and
the next Night will be skipped.

The idea here is that Doctor itself is weak in games without other power roles, due to a parity problem; if faced with an even number of players at the start of Day in this case, it is usually better for town to no-lynch and restore parity rather than lynch and hope the Doctor gains an extra lynch by blocking the kill again. Skipping the next Night makes it playable in games with other power roles that don't affect parity (Cop, Tracker, Watcher, etc.; but not Jailkeeper, Vig, anything that can remove or add a kill) - you get the bonus of an extra lynch, but you don't get an extra free investigation.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #1060 (ISO) » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:29 am

Post by BNL »

In games with few power roles, this would similar to a deflector. If you can predict the scum's night kill, you effectively get a vig shot, which is similar to a lynch (an extra town-aligned kill). In fact, you can make it almost similar by making it a kill deflector, regardless of power roles. The only difference is replacing the extra lynch with a vig shot.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
Akira
Akira
Goon
Akira
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1061 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:01 am

Post by Akira »

Robot

(maybe this already exists, dunno)
You may target one player at night. If that player is the target of a kill, they will be protected from that kill. If not, you will receive that player's alignment.

It's basically a combination of cop and doctor, pretty op I think but might be nice as an x-shot.

Also,

Terminator

Town-aligned.
You may target one player at night. If that player is the target of a kill, they will be protected from that kill. If they are scum, you kill them. If neither, simply return their alignment.
|
Town
|-|
||
|
|
Mafia
|-|
||
|
Akira
Akira
Goon
Akira
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1062 (ISO) » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:59 pm

Post by Akira »

Psychic

Can visit a player at night. That player's night action will be overridden by the mod, who will use it/direct it in the most beneficial way possible (for the targeted player) for that night.

I.e. if the psychic visits a doctor, that doctor will automatically protect that night's scumkill. If the psychic visits a cop, they will target scum (usually, or perhaps a scummy town player). If however the psychic visits scum, the action will be in the scum's best interest (i.e. kill the most powerful PR, etc.) even if the psychic is town-aligned. These aren't fixed rules though; simply put the mod has to direct/use the action in the best possible way given full knowledge of the setup, current situation and everyone else's night actions for that night.

Fortune Teller

Can visit a player at night. That player will receive a 'fortune'. This consists of a statement regarding a certain action that will occur to them in the future.

For example it could say "You will die on the next night", or "You will die the night after the next", or "You will be visited by someone special on the next night" (this can be specific or vague).

The content of the fortune will be at the mod's discretion, or can be somehow randomised.

Then, on the night of the fortune, if it is possible for the action to occur, then it will occur, by switching around the night actions however necessary (i.e. redirecting a NK onto the player, etc.)

I would definitely notify a cop if their action was redirected. As for other roles, not sure.
|
Town
|-|
||
|
|
Mafia
|-|
||
|
shortaru
shortaru
Mafia Scum
shortaru
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1063 (ISO) » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:25 am

Post by shortaru »

Super Jester

Typical Jester mechanic with the added functionality of killing the hammer vote on the jester's wagon. (Supersaint + Jester)

It punishes the alignment that most directly allows the Super Jester's victory.

For instances when a Jester lynch doesn't end the game, obviously.
Does this post forward a scum win con, or do you just think I'm strange?

Strange != Scum
shortaru
shortaru
Mafia Scum
shortaru
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1064 (ISO) » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:43 am

Post by shortaru »

In post 1059, mith wrote:I don't have a good name for this:

Doctor Variant

You may target one player at night. If they are the target of the Mafia's nightkill, they will be protected
and
the next Night will be skipped.

The idea here is that Doctor itself is weak in games without other power roles, due to a parity problem; if faced with an even number of players at the start of Day in this case, it is usually better for town to no-lynch and restore parity rather than lynch and hope the Doctor gains an extra lynch by blocking the kill again. Skipping the next Night makes it playable in games with other power roles that don't affect parity (Cop, Tracker, Watcher, etc.; but not Jailkeeper, Vig, anything that can remove or add a kill) - you get the bonus of an extra lynch, but you don't get an extra free investigation.
Guardian/Guardian Angel?
Does this post forward a scum win con, or do you just think I'm strange?

Strange != Scum
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #1065 (ISO) » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:50 pm

Post by PokerFace »

I am trying to think of a good name for a role I came up with last night that I can see as a very good role when played correctly. I would not consider this role as beginner friendly. There is a high skill floor and ceiling with this one
You are a _____

You win with the town when ______

At night you select a player

If that player is scum, you will die.
If that player is chosen for a night action of any kind, that night action will miss
If you are chosen for a night action, it will hit you and the player you are targeting
There are ways you can use this role to protect or investigate. Also, if your target a mafioso and that mafioso targets you for a kill, congrats you are both dead.

I am leaning toward Hotel Owner or Hospice Owner or something like that, but I am not sure either truly sums up this role. Feel free to suggest something for it
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly

Return to “Mafia Discussion”