Long term health of mafiascum

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #725 (ISO) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:43 pm

Post by Mathdino »

I think I'm somewhat justified in necro-ing this thread.

So I was apparently in this thread literally when it started. It was full of ideas on how to change the site to keep bringing people in.

I went on hiatus for 3 years and, unless I'm missing something,
literally nothing has changed
. I understand there was a Blitz Queue briefly but that was phased back out?

You don't need to read the whole thread, the topics were basically:

- Update the shitty graphics of this site, it looks 15 years old because it IS 15 years old

- Update the wiki to ensure this site is at the front of mafia theory

- Deadlines are too long, we should experiment with shorter deadlines (I see this was tried)

- Figure out why EpicMafia and Town of Salem draw people (conclusion was that they're both more fun-oriented than competition-oriented)

While a lot of things need to be updated, especially since these updates were necessary years upon years ago, I think this thread failed to address an important question:

Why have fewer people come to the site/stuck around over the past 5 years?

And can we do anything about it?
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #726 (ISO) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:47 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 725, Mathdino wrote:
Why have fewer people come to the site/stuck around over the past 5 years? And can we do anything about it?
Well you already know a large issue has to do with newbies and there's whole lots of reasoning there, but going beyond just there (though this overlaps with it)...

...There is a fundamental divide in mafiascum off of two inherent conflicting aspects we are universally told about: "play to have fun" and "play to win". They are meant to work in tandem with one another, but often they conflict with each other, especially because while those rules exist, interpretations of them are subjective, and always will be because cases of clear 'not playing to wincon' are far and few between (thus making an objective definition for "play to win" nigh-impossible), and you can never objectify what constitutes "play to have fun".

A huge amount of site toxicity comes from that conflict, too, in that the fundamental divide does in fact cause people to behave like assholes, and yet call others out for behaving like assholes, resulting in ugly fights which get even worse. People who play for fun can have a definition of playing for fun which grinds the gears of other players. People who play to win see the volley of insults they throw as part of trying to win the game.

This is a VAST oversimplification of the issue, because it has a lot of nuances to it, but you get the idea. More or less...there is no consensus on what the site should be. Only conflicting opinions on what it shouldn't be and highly-personalized individual, unique ideas on what someone thinks the site should be like...

...And when their idea turns out to not match the reality of the site, they tend to leave, or wish they had. You know how basically every veteran mafia player--be it currently-inactive or currently-active--more or less holds the same opinion? "Mafia is a shitty game to play"? Like, that is a universal stance they hold, and
it's not a meme
. It's not a joke that is widely propagated; those veterans, both 'retired' (and yet they still get sucked in inevitably) and active, hold that stance.

That it is not a good game and something they are filled with regrets for playing. The people who DO manage to quit mafiascum for good I can near-guarantee largely hold similar sentiments of, "it's just not the place I want to be". Because the place mafiascum is, conflicts with the ideals of a place mafiascum is thought to be, for all of our playerbase.

I honestly don't think there
is
a solution. Or if there were one, that it'd be an administrative one so controversial that it'd end up driving away 90% of the userbase to get results.

Mafia is, at its core, a social game.
But while humans are social creatures, conflict exists which divides us. These conflicts exist because of different beliefs which cannot be resolved because the beliefs end up as mutually exclusive to one another. Humans ain't united in any way in the meatworld; we're not going to magically unite in any way in the online one.

We can mitigate damage/fallout from human nature, but we can't change it.
The best solution I can really give is to emphasize as much as possible the positive and try to downplay the negative. But I don't have any site-wide way to implement anything of that sort.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #727 (ISO) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:53 pm

Post by Mathdino »

I think your point is a good one, and because I think it's good, I hope you won't be offended if I tl;dr it:

"We're supposed to both play to win and play to have fun, but half the time, playing to win just isn't fun, and this is a shitty game that gets in ego-fights all the goddamn time, and once newbies realise that, they get the fuck out of dodge."

While I think that's fair, I don't think Mafia is dying by any means. Hell, it's growing. MU and ToS grew a LOT in the past few years to the point where Town of Salem is a widely known thing to half my friends who otherwise know nothing about mafia.

The fact that this site has competition is proof that there's not lower demand for the product. The problem is this specific site.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #728 (ISO) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:31 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 727, Mathdino wrote:While I think that's fair, I don't think Mafia is dying by any means.
And I don't think it's dieing, not even on mafiascum. Its growth rate might not be as high...but I'd argue that's because mafiascum has a very specific format. In THEORY, we emphasize quality > quantity more than other sites. (Theory!)

Specifically, we are meant to emphasize both dayplay (what I understand is considered the "boring" part of the game in, say, Town of Salem), and taking time to create informed opinions. The length of a single day phase on mafiascum is the length of an entire game on any site using what we'd consider Blitz deadlines.

This is our thing, and it is to my knowledge fairly unique on mafia sites. (Yes I know, there are sites which have those longer games, but they are few and far between.) It caters to a specific crowd. If you are outside that crowd, you're not likely to want to come inside of it. And when you do, you often shit upon it at every turn because it's not the crowd you tend to enjoy.

mafiascum's style has always been one which is different from that of most other places. That different style is one which, because it is so different, only allows for a specific type of players to feel more welcomed. I think that, honestly, what mafiascum shouldn't focus on is trying to grow by bringing so and such amount of new users in per year.

While I think we do need better newbie retention...what I think mafiascum most needs to focus on is long-term retention of
already existing users
. By which, I mean...mafiascum's a site which caters to the crowd of people who, so to speak, quite literally "play the long game". That are around for a while.

In other words--we can't keep everyone because some people just aren't cut out for the type of game mafiascum is made for, that being, longer games which (in theory) focus on dayplay. What we CAN do is keep those that
are
cut out for that type of game longer than we do, not driving them away.

So I have to disagree--I don't think it's that this site specifically has a problem, per se, so much as it is, that this site needs to be measured by a different metric, one emphasizing longevity of users.

How many people who join town of salem and play actively enough for a while still play five years later? (I'm pretty sure the site's that old at least?) I'd wager not many.

How many people who join mafiascum and play actively enough for a while still play five years later? Well, depends on where you put the "five years later" exactly, but I'd be willing to wager...quite a higher percentage.

That's not to say mafiascum is without issues; it has a bundleload of those. But I think that those issues are best measured from a different standpoint.

Another way of thinking about it--basically, most mafia/werewolf players have the average age of being in their teens. Some below the teens (because let's face it, players play the game when under the age of 13 especially on other sites regardless of whether that's legal or not), some above the teens in lower 20s, but that's what most of the userbase for any mafia site will be, players in their teen years.

When those players grow up, how many of them are still playing mafia where they played? THAT is what I'm more or less getting at. When suddenly those teenagers are now adults with the responsibilities of adulting, often having matured...how many of them still are capable of playing in the environment that they were playing before?

I'd be willing to wager that on a metric along those lines, mafiascum kicks other sites to the curb.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #729 (ISO) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:30 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Part of the reason I don't play as much any more is because I fear too much of the playerbase
isn't
playing to win.

Using incivility, etc., as tactics isn't fun to play with, and I'd prefer people wouldn't (I don't, or at least try not to). But not putting in effort is even less fun, and tends to drive away the people who would put in effort.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Lycanfire
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #730 (ISO) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:41 pm

Post by Lycanfire »

Mafia itself is about Tribalism. My tribe is better than your tribe. When someone goes against the Tribe, they get smacked. You see this in school cliques, work cliques, the beer you drink, the sports club you support, your phone ecosystem, your watch, your car, the athletic clothes you own, and how much money your family has.

You don't fuck with the Tribe.

There's a few overly dramatic people on this site that attempt to make that makes it more personal than this. I think it's becoming clear that the people that self vote/de facto gladiate/derail the thread/personally attack others every game are living breathing jokes, so I don't think there's much of a worry that people will imitate or tolerate it, as it's already intolerable right now.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #731 (ISO) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:06 pm

Post by Psyche »

these new ads sure aren’t gonna help traffic
Lil Uzi Vert
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Lil Uzi Vert
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #732 (ISO) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:47 pm

Post by Lil Uzi Vert »

In post 731, Psyche wrote:these new ads sure aren’t gonna help traffic
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #733 (ISO) » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:19 am

Post by Porochaz »

We were waiting for you to get started mathdino then you left for 3 years!
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
profii
profii
Jack of All Trades
profii
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #734 (ISO) » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:45 pm

Post by profii »

I first played werewolf on another forum for a game called Uplink. I didn’t really know what was going on and I remember being PMd for my role which obviously I now know is naughty (I was probably about 13 when I was on there so had no idea what was going on)

Then I more recently played on another forum because I wanted to give the game a go properly - we nicked some of our roles and setups from the wiki here because this site comes up well in google results

However on that forum the interest wained so I came here because I never played scum on that forum

Interestingly I took some of the house rules back to my other forum and hosted a game - ie made them have 2 week deadlines and force a majority to cause a lynch and none of the guys knew how to “scumhunt” it was a bit like go from the pro leagues to the amateurs

It’s very obvious this forum is very serious about this game - personally I like that

If I was going to suggest something I’d say take the SE and ICs out of the newbie games - but put the IC back in as an advisor in a non playing capacity and let the newbies make their own mistakes together - then if they get the hang of it start mixing them in with the super competitive dudes

I have gone into newbie games trying to learn how to “scumhunt” and forgot that some players are trying to learn what a lynch is. I think you end up with significantly different people in the introduction games which doesn’t help people stick it out
doomfeathers
doomfeathers
Goon
doomfeathers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #735 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:42 am

Post by doomfeathers »

I joined the site because it came up first on Google. Many of the deadlines are rather long for my taste, but I'm dealing with that by avoiding games that have too many players in them. I like the BBCode and format of the site, and spend a lot of time on the wiki. Right now, the main things I'd like to see are more play articles (and review of said articles) and more data about role use, balance, and power on the wiki.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #736 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:29 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 725, Mathdino wrote:- Figure out why EpicMafia and Town of Salem draw people (conclusion was that they're both more fun-oriented than competition-oriented)
I think a lot of people play here at mafiascum to stroke their mafia e-penis. To show that they can win by pure skill and not by luck compared to those other two places.

Have we considered a ranked queue before? I'm sure it's been discussed and rejected, just curious why.

The broken ass micros I've run have their place on this site, but I do think it's odd that epicmafia, the aboslute shithole of mafia (lovingly of course), has a competitive points system and such and we do not.

I personally don't play anymore because I'm simply not on frequently enough to stay caught up in games. I work every day and rehearse every night, post show maybe I'll get back into things, but I'm just too damned busy.

If there was a really nicely done automod I would mod a lot more setups. It's 2018, shouldn't that be a thing by now? Like, I know this is php, but isn't there some sort of third party thing we could use? And before I get "go to mafiauniverse," no thanks, they're fine but I like the environment and people here more.

I'm not super into the site right now so all of this could be off the mark.

Also, team mafia doesn't count in my eyes, it's an event, a seasonal competitive rankings system would be cool, could have a playoff game with the top 13 or whatever. Idk. Just spit balling.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #737 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:26 pm

Post by AnonymousGhost »

In post 736, BBmolla wrote:The broken ass micros I've run have their place on this site, but I do think it's odd that epicmafia, the aboslute shithole of mafia (lovingly of course), has a competitive points system and such and we do not.
If MS implemented a points system, I'd turn it off or make it private. Sounds like an okay thing at first, but it'd put pressure on the higher ranking players to live up to their achievement and might cause resentment from the lower ranking players. Plus, we're human. We're more than just the numbers associated with our lives.
Talk Fast, Think Faster

BE LOUD! BE PROUD! BE ANTI-TOWN!
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #738 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 737, AnonymousGhost wrote:it'd put pressure on the higher ranking players to live up to their achievement
that pressure is going to exist with or without a points system
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #739 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Post by Fluminator »

If we're talking about the future of mafia in general, I could see Throne of Lies being the main future. It's actually kind of fun, and since you have to buy the game, it weeds out a lot of the losers, spammers, and whatnot that circulate on EM and ToS.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/59528 ... of_Deceit/
Some high profile twitch streamers apparently played this game too.
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #740 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:32 pm

Post by AnonymousGhost »

In post 738, RadiantCowbells wrote:
In post 737, AnonymousGhost wrote:it'd put pressure on the higher ranking players to live up to their achievement
that pressure is going to exist with or without a points system
By word of mouth, yes. It'll probably always exist.

Having a points system just cements, and possibly, wrongly validates the pressure.
Talk Fast, Think Faster

BE LOUD! BE PROUD! BE ANTI-TOWN!
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #741 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:35 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

I think on some level almost everyone who ever would have had to deal with that wanted it

it's more of a question of what happens when you want to let go of it
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #742 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:52 pm

Post by Fluminator »

I think ever since people were able to be connected to the internet 100% of the time, this site's style is just out of date. Long games worked and were less damaging psychologically when you literally only could post at a computer when you get back from work or your life. Now that everyone has a phone it's kind of expected of you to constantly check in. It's kind of like how phones and technology should have hypothetically made production easier for employees in jobs, but now it's just more stressful because more is expected from them.

I don't think it's psychologically a good idea to have long mafia games either. They're games all about manipulating and lying and mistrust, and when you're in games that take months to finish it, that is an unhealthy amount of time to be in that state of mind (even if it's only in the back of your mind when you're not posting). It burns you out quickly. That's why I think shorter deadline and quick live games are more poplar. When you're done, you're free until you get the urge again.

The commitment is too high, with the reward of playing being too low, coupled with it being a very psychologically intense game, makes this place a very niche place. I think this site is what it is, and not much can be changed to increase appeal without changing something very fundamental.

My 2 cents.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #743 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:55 pm

Post by Ircher »

I mean, I think the longer deadlines are a good thing and not out of style. I would say more, but I don't have the time.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #744 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:57 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

If we want more people just make every game a bastard role "madness"/upick and make sure there's tons of anime everywhere.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #745 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:26 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 729, callforjudgement wrote:Part of the reason I don't play as much any more is because I fear too much of the playerbase
isn't
playing to win.

Using incivility, etc., as tactics isn't fun to play with, and I'd prefer people wouldn't (I don't, or at least try not to). But not putting in effort is even less fun, and tends to drive away the people who would put in effort.
I mostly just feel like site culture has passed me by and even attempting to play again would show just how out of place I am in this era of site culture.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #746 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:30 pm

Post by Mathdino »

eh my solution so far has been to aggressively impose my 2014 style of play on everyone else

try to undo 2016/17 lol

working pretty well so far
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #747 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:38 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 737, AnonymousGhost wrote:
In post 736, BBmolla wrote:The broken ass micros I've run have their place on this site, but I do think it's odd that epicmafia, the aboslute shithole of mafia (lovingly of course), has a competitive points system and such and we do not.
If MS implemented a points system, I'd turn it off or make it private. Sounds like an okay thing at first, but it'd put pressure on the higher ranking players to live up to their achievement and might cause resentment from the lower ranking players. Plus, we're human. We're more than just the numbers associated with our lives.
You misunderstand me, not points for the whole site, just for a single queue. The fun no stakes games need to still exist, but there should be a next step for those who want it.

50%+ of the playerbase will likely ignore the queue, but it’d help with retention I think because will have a stake in the points.
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #748 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:15 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 739, Fluminator wrote:If we're talking about the future of mafia in general, I could see Throne of Lies being the main future. It's actually kind of fun, and since you have to buy the game, it weeds out a lot of the losers, spammers, and whatnot that circulate on EM and ToS.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/59528 ... of_Deceit/
Some high profile twitch streamers apparently played this game too.
ToS is quite popular on youtube as well I think
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #749 (ISO) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:16 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 746, Mathdino wrote:eh my solution so far has been to aggressively impose my 2014 style of play on everyone else

try to undo 2016/17 lol

working pretty well so far
idk a lot of the MSers I've gotten to know really well are 2016ers
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”

Return to “Mafia Discussion”