Problems with the Scummies

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (isolation #0) » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:34 am

Post by Nero Cain »

the "scummies are a popularity contest" isn't a new thing. It seems like I've been hearing that since 2011-2012.

I'm not all that sure how we improve/fix them though. I suggested that we have a specific group of players to make noms (like the Oscars) but someone said that was just as bias as the current "rando player noms rando person. (who is likely their friend)" And it's likely too much work anyways.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #48 (isolation #1) » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:20 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

I disagree that the scummies were ALWAYS a joke award. Though having some serious awards (paragon/don etc.) and less serious ones like Kodak or fave to play with seems like a good mix but I don't think that really "fixes" anything.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #49 (isolation #2) » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:23 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 12, nancy wrote:the scummies are garbage because the playerbase is garbage
like this is...partly true. Not completely but kinda. And its pot kettle too....

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #51 (isolation #3) » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:55 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

I think all of

Best Replacement
Best Inexperience-Challenged Player-for this one, I'm thinking more along the lines of who teaches the best and not the IC the plays the best.
Best Contribution to Mafia Discussion
Best Performance: Scum Group
Best Performance: Pro-Town Team
Most Enjoyable player

should come back

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #72 (isolation #4) » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 67, mastina wrote:
In post 52, Mathdino wrote:what how did those EVER go away
"The same people are being nominated for these awards year after year, so we're going to drop them".
Not joking.
other than you try harding for professor mafia...

I'm not sure how

Best Replacement
Best Performance: Scum Group
Best Performance: Pro-Town Team
Best Inexperience-Challenged Player

Best replacement maybe since its a solo award and theoretically a skilled player could win it over and over again.
Maybe best IC if there's a particularly good teacher.

Most Enjoyable player is a popularity award so I could see that one repeating.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #73 (isolation #5) » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:22 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

I volunteered to judge but I haven't heard shit from the mod team and I would think that the mod team would be heavily involved in judging anyways.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #116 (isolation #6) » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

I've always felt like best replacement was for the player that replaces in and helps their team the most. I mean, obviously the more games you replace in you have a better chance of helping your team but it isn't about the quantity.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #119 (isolation #7) » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:59 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

TBF, ppl should be replacing in b/c its helpful but the award should still be there.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #121 (isolation #8) » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:24 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

I like Fire even though he misreads the shit out of me half the time.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #122 (isolation #9) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:19 am

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 78, Tammy wrote:(A lurker might get carried by a town team and be rewarded with a best town performance banner; we can't allow a travesty like that to happen!)
I'm assuming this is sarcasm but this was a dumb reason to ever get rid of that scummy. I also think that a best town scummy would help to promote team play and give newer players to actually try hard knowing that they could theoretically win a non-body of work scummy.
In post 80, Mathdino wrote:Best Pro-Town Team: Don't give out banners for this. Problem solved.

Best Scum Team: This should obviously be a thing. Make Don Corleone a Body of Work award again.
no, we need both of these. Making Don body of work does make sense though and leaving best scum team as a one-off.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #123 (isolation #10) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:48 am

Post by Nero Cain »

I think game mods need to be more active in nominations. Like, I'm not saying that they HAVE to nom someone but yeah....

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #129 (isolation #11) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

Was it the thing about "they are 4 the site and awards should be to help promote the site." I mean, a little, yeah, but awards should also be a badge of honor for the winner though they are currently a bit of a joke.

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #134 (isolation #12) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:21 am

Post by Nero Cain »

^

Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #138 (isolation #13) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:54 am

Post by Nero Cain »

If there's a bad player on a sports team be sure that they do not get a superbowl ring, a world series ring or whatever they get in the NBA finals"

Return to “Mafia Discussion”