Problems with the Scummies

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #22 (isolation #0) » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:20 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 1, RadiantCowbells wrote:3 scum play awards:
1) Body of Work
won't work, judges won't get through the sheer volume of games needed to judge it properly - so it'll be judged half assed and poorly.

the biggest problem with the scummies has always been a lack of volunteers to judge who then follow through and judge
properly

i haven't been on the scummies steering commitee in years, there were years none of us wanted to judge the games - to try and bring new perspectives but we could never find sufficent amount of judges.
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #23 (isolation #1) » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:23 am

Post by Faraday »

although i think the year we managed to rank games for single game awards as they came in was a good idea, and would work if there could theoretically be found a bunch of people commited to judging year round.
In post 8, Alisae wrote:I mean
I would love to cover his load for him!
But I don't know if he would ever let me or anyone else for that matter

besides that yeah, I agree, Zor is doing a lot, I just feel disrespected :/
have you tried pm'ing him? it's not very hard to get added to the scummies steering commitee.

fake edit: and looking at the usergroup there's like no active players in there which is kinda bad, zor used to never really need to be involved in the judging - we'd put up the threads and do all that shit and pass the ceremony on.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #26 (isolation #2) » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:45 am

Post by Faraday »

In post 25, mastina wrote:Which is why having more judges has always been my suggested answer and I maintain it as being the correct one. Judges might not be able to judge every category properly, but with more judges, they don't need to. I don't think that it's a lack of volunteers, so much as a lack of easy access to volunteering.
i think you're assuming that there were always more volunteers than people selected, that was definitely not the case.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #27 (isolation #3) » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:51 am

Post by Faraday »

i'm not specifically talking about this year (since i've no clue what's happening these last 3 or so years), but in the past there were definitely global announcements, so visibility definitely wasn't the problem - and we got maybe 12-15 candiates max most years. from that point, maybe half of those probably went forward and did a good job judging.

obvously like all these things, making them so as many people as possible can see them is better.
Speaking as a judge--while this was in fact the place where my judging was at its weakest, this was not nearly as hard as you're making it out to be. I DID go through games. I do admit I didn't go through games quite as thoroughly as I'd have preferred, but I wouldn't call the judging I did half-assed/poor.
i also wouldn't call yours half assed, but the majority of the time i personally didn't think the level of scrutiny for BOW awards wasn't high enough - as someone who judged them and read a shit load of games, it's a difficult thing to try to read maybe up to 60 games for one award. it usually ended up with 2 or 3 people reading them and a couple of people popping up to agree.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #29 (isolation #4) » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:55 am

Post by Faraday »

w/r/t the actual awards themselves, yeah they need work too.

i always liked most enjoyable player as an award for showcasing something other than actual "technical skill" - making games fun should be something awarded too. similarly i thought best town/best scum performance should have been left there and awarded if a scum team or town performed particularly well.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #31 (isolation #5) » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:03 pm

Post by Faraday »

In post 30, mastina wrote:Enjoyable player is too subjective or something of that sort,
i mean, let's be real "good town play" and "good scum play", beyond results is subjective too. who cares, awards for being fun is good
Last edited by Faraday on Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #33 (isolation #6) » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:04 pm

Post by Faraday »

i mean, yeah, so what?
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #34 (isolation #7) » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:08 pm

Post by Faraday »

realistically tho looking at the ssc - everyone on it is inactive as far as i can tell, so it's no wonder this years hasn't happened. get 4-5 active people to help zor out with it, let them run it their way for a year and see if they can increase interest in popularity - get feedback on how it went at year end and work from there. given the general consensus at the moment, it couldn't go that much worse.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #36 (isolation #8) » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:10 pm

Post by Faraday »

oh ya, sorry i just presumed you were disagreeing since it's usually brought up in a negative light about that award. my b.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #37 (isolation #9) » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:15 pm

Post by Faraday »

In post 24, mastina wrote:We used to have a 'Best Replacement' Scummie which got dropped.
Missed this b/c you have long posts. Actually, idr why this was dropped - but i agree it's a fine award. (Also I agree that more awards don't make for much harder judging, there are really only certain body of work awards that are very difficult to judge due to how time consuming they are).

Return to “Mafia Discussion”