[REVIEW] Open Setup Reviews

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #648 (isolation #0) » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:44 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

Sheriff17 players
1 Sheriff
4-10 Vanilla Townies
0-4 Town Neighbor I
0-4 Town Neighbor II
Total number of Town:13
(including the Sheriff)
0-4 Mafia Goons
0-4 Mafia Neighbor I
0-4 Mafia Neighbor II
Total number of Mafia:4

Phase 0(pre-game, only once) Neighborhood selection by the Sheriff.
Phase 1:Day
Phase 2:Night
Sheriff:The Sheriff is confirmed town, and cannot be targeted by attacks if they are active at night.

In the pre-game, the Sheriff will select at least 3 and at most 4 people for each of the two neighborhoods(I and II)

The Sheriff will sleep when town lynches
and may not talk at day without permission
, and will can protect one person per night.
If the target is selected to be the night kill the Sheriff will kill the attacking member of the Mafia instead. If the target
performs
the night kill the Sheriff and the (mafia-aligned) target die instead.

The Sheriff may kill someone at night instead, consuming one bullet. If the target was town they will appear at day for the rest of the game even if they had a bullet left.

The Sheriff has 2 bullets. If they run out of bullets they appear at day for the rest of the game(and can be targeted).
At any night the Sheriff may decide to appear at day for the rest of the game, along with their night actions.

When, at the start of the lynch phase, there is an equal amount of normal mafia and town the Sheriff appears automatically.
The Sheriff will be subject to activity checks.
Mafia:

The Mafia have a sniper rifle they can use once to kill someone and ignore any sheriff guarding the target. However, if the sheriff guards the killer that night or decides to kill them only the killer will die.

The Mafia have a factional kill but members of the Mafia cannot kill consecutively.
The neighborhoods are active at day only.
The mafia night chat is active at night only.

Feedback, please :]
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #651 (isolation #1) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:22 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

Sheriff17 players
1 Sheriff
12 Vanilla Townies
(including the Sheriff)
4 Mafia Goons

Sheriff:The Sheriff is confirmed town, and cannot be targeted by attacks if they are active at night.

During the Night a Sheriff can select 3 people for a Neighborhood(I) ONCE. They will be part of that Neighborhood. If they have no bullets they can do this during the day.
During the Night a Sheriff can select 2 people for a Neighborhood(II) ONCE. They will be part of that Neighborhood. If they have no bullets they can do this during the day.
The Sheriff can do these in addition with their other abilities; but not both the same phase.
If the target is selected to be the night kill the Sheriff will kill the attacking member of the Mafia instead. If the target
performs

If the Sheriff dies and there are any bullets left the Town will, instead of lynching, appoint a second sheriff. If the second Sheriff is mafia Town loses.

If at the beginning of the Night there is an equal amount of other townies and Mafia left the Sheriff may shoot someone if they have any bullets left.

The Sheriff has 2 bullets. Bullets are spent on every kill. If they run out of bullets they appear at day for the rest of the game(and can be targeted).
At any night the Sheriff may decide to appear at day for the rest of the game, along with their night actions. They will lose one bullet when doing so; and cannot act at night anymore(and can be killed)

When, at the start of the lynch phase, there is an equal amount of normal mafia and town the Sheriff appears automatically.
Mafia:

The Mafia have a sniper rifle they can use once to kill someone and ignore any sheriff guarding the target. However, if the sheriff guards the killer that night or decides to kill them only the killer will die.

The Mafia have a factional kill but members of the Mafia cannot kill consecutively.
The neighborhoods are active at Night only, and the sheriff can see AND post in that neighborhood.

I have altered the composition slightly. The problem with one role dying and everything being bleak isn't there, really, if the Sheriff successfully protects 2 Town then Mafia is not in a good spot.
Even if the Sheriff dies and then town appoints a Sheriff who protects town Mafia is still in a bad situation.
I have restricted the vig to prevent idiots from ruining the chances for town.
If the Sheriff protects Mafia and Town appoints another Mafia town was doomed anyways.
If both Sheriffs protect mafia then Town deserves what they got(and still gets a win chance).
And the Sheriff can talk with the neighborhoods.
Is this version better?
Last edited by Not Known 15 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #653 (isolation #2) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:34 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 652, callforjudgement wrote:The Sheriff role simply is not powerful enough.
I think it is! The Innocent Child here, the Sheriff, cannot be killed normally for some time. The final protection generates an additional IC.
A lone mafia can only kill every other night.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #655 (isolation #3) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:51 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 654, callforjudgement wrote:Add an Innocent Child who cannot be killed normally until mylo to a regular setup with no killing/protective roles and an odd player count, and unless it's a strong player, you'll actually have very little balance impact whatsoever. It's nice in terms of helping the dayplay but it doesn't change any of the nightplay dynamics.

This isn't exactly the same, but the general principles are similar.
Did you read this?
and will can protect one person per night.
If the target is selected to be the night kill the Sheriff will kill the attacking member of the Mafia instead. If the target performs the night kill the Sheriff and the (mafia-aligned) target die instead.
Maybe you missed the
instead
?
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #658 (isolation #4) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:17 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

ok, fine:(
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #669 (isolation #5) » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:44 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

Sheriff17 players
1 Sheriff
12 Vanilla Townies
(including the Sheriff)
4 Mafia Goons

During the Night a Sheriff can select 3 people for a Neighborhood(I) ONCE. They will be part of that Neighborhood. If they have no bullets they can do this during the day.
During the Night a Sheriff can select 2 people for a Neighborhood(II) ONCE. They will be part of that Neighborhood. If they have no bullets they can do this during the day.
The Sheriff can do these in addition with their other abilities; but not both the same phase.
performs

If the Sheriff dies and there are any bullets left the Town will, instead of lynching, appoint a second sheriff. If the second Sheriff is mafia Town loses.

If at the beginning of the Night there is an equal amount of other townies and Mafia left the Sheriff may shoot someone if they have any bullets left.

The Sheriff has 2 bullets. Bullets are spent on every kill. If they run out of bullets they appear at day for the rest of the game(and can be targeted).
At any night the Sheriff may decide to appear at day for the rest of the game, along with their night actions. They will lose one bullet when doing so; and cannot act at night anymore(and can be killed)

Mafia:

The neighborhoods are active at Night only, and the sheriff can see AND post in that neighborhood.

I think this could be actually still scum-sided but I'd be willing to try it out some time. Obviously, the players are aware that they could be the Sheriff, this is not a problem.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #685 (isolation #6) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:28 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 684, BBmolla wrote:Paris Mafia recently ended in a draw with 1 mime, 1 mafia, 1 townie. This should either be a Mafia or Mime win, it sucks as a draw. I'm leaning Mime just because I think winning as Mime is hard in that setup.

It's not a relevant setup anymore really, but Kill All Townies should have Loyal modifiers added to Doctors. Wanted to double check with ya'll before I do so.

I'm fine with the above post fwiw.
Paris Mafia:
It actually depends BBmolla. I think the Mimes should also win if one of them has been lynched and the other one is alive
alone
or in a 1v1v1 without a Vig. With this:
If the town left is a Watcher or a Townie the game should end in a Mime win if the other Mime was lynched and in a Mafia win if not(because Mime is very difficult).
If the town left is a Vigilante the game should continue into the next night with a No Lynch(no one is able to lynch without gamethrowing)
Mime does nothing, Vigilante and Mafia shoot Mime - D R A W - only the Vig and the Mafia are alive -
Mime does nothing, Vig and Mafia shoot each other - Mime win(if the other Mime was not lynched, Draw)
Mime does nothing, Vig shoots Mafia, Mafia shoots Mime - Town win
Mime does nothing, Vig shoots Mime, Mafia shoots Vig - Mafia win
Because the setup is open it should be obvious when this happens.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #687 (isolation #7) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:30 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 686, Jingle wrote:Also, A 0v2v1 should autoend in a mafia win because while mimes have majority they can't lynch both of themselves before the mafia nks. This should probably never happen, but I just realized it's technically possible.
Nope, the Mafia can be continuously blocked by the Mime roleblock.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #688 (isolation #8) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:32 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 686, Jingle wrote:If a mime is shot, they both leave the game.
According to the Wiki page, no - they remain as kingmaker.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #696 (isolation #9) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:12 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 690, Jingle wrote:
In post 687, Not Known 15 wrote:
In post 686, Jingle wrote:Also, A 0v2v1 should autoend in a mafia win because while mimes have majority they can't lynch both of themselves before the mafia nks. This should probably never happen, but I just realized it's technically possible.
Nope, the Mafia can be continuously blocked by the Mime roleblock.
Yup. And lynch Mime #1, mafia have parity and win.
The mafia win condition:
You win when only Goons are alive.
Parity is not enough, and as you already discovered, town actually wins when everyone is dead. And because Mafia has the easiest win condition in that setup the setup should not be changed to favor Mafia.
Last edited by Not Known 15 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #697 (isolation #10) » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:15 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 694, Jingle wrote:Agreed. And 0v2v1 should be a mafia win, because the second mime lynch is impossible. 0v1v1 can only end in no lynch no kill cycles if the game is continued.
Actually when the Mimes have majority they can theoretically lynch the rest and then themselves.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #900 (isolation #11) » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:01 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 898, Kerset wrote:I think that mafia should bus each other. Informed townie is very unlikely to vote Donnie, so the easiest way is to check which PT Access member receives reluctance. If town rolles 7~8 informed roles then they have really low chance to win.
Unlikely. The game ends only when all ppl with Mafia PT Access have died... including Donnie. The Mafia PT lynch with the LEAST resistance is probably either Donnie or the bus initiated by Donnie.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”