RVS v RQS

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #61 (isolation #0) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:15 am

Post by Mathdino »

In post 56, Ranmaru wrote:cuz rqs is boring and actually I disliked that mathdino had a sort of rqs like atmosphere in his team mafia game lol
Ehhh that was different
Rvs is to create information in a low information environment
We actually had high information given alignment choice and team composition
A50 spewed himself as town from the aftermath and that was also how we got LLD scum eventually

I don't think rvs is useful when information exists tbh

Agree that rqs has always been bad
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #63 (isolation #1) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:35 am

Post by Mathdino »

i would actually actively argue that a lot of RQS that people think is good, is actually anti-town

if you can toneread people off their answers to your RQS questions, you can toneread them independently of RQS and you just need to be patient

common RQS questions i see nowadays is shit like

"What would you say was your best scumgame?"
"Could you link any games that you've played offsite?"
"Please link your 3 most recent games with commentary."
"How experienced are you at mafia?"
"What are your skills as town and scum?"

those are just off the top of my head, but let's go through these

1. This makes it clear that you're planning to compare their play this game to their scumgame, making scum hyperaware of their meta. This is bad.
2. Same thing. If you make it clear you're gonna be metaing them, they'll play better as scum.
3. Ditto. Asking for self-meta before the game progresses is bad for getting natural reads.
4. I don't like this. It frames players in an experienced/inexperienced way before they even start playing, which robs towns of natural reads progressions. I've seen a lot of games essentially solved by a bunch of people jumping on a newbie, then people realising that it was a newbie, and VCAing that wagon.
If there comes a point when it becomes relevant to ask how experienced someone is, you just ask then.
5. Again, makes people want to emulate their towngame. Just wait for the game to play out.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #65 (isolation #2) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:01 pm

Post by Mathdino »

i think in games like Pick Your Poison, RQS can potentially be useful as long as setup spec doesn't eclipse actual discussion

there are a lot of setups where scum get to make choices pre-game that can be tested later on

Team Mafia is obviously one of them, and there are a few opens as well. Not gonna count Pick Your Power X/Y because D1 setup spec is hugely -EV for town there.

So basically, in certain circumstances, I think setup spec/role preference RQS can be good.
Because asking those questions can't possibly change what scum already did pre-game
. Otherwise, refer to the Observer Effect -- in some cases asking certain questions or making certain statements will alter how scum would naturally play.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #70 (isolation #3) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:03 pm

Post by Mathdino »

A lot of other sites use it to generate content so newbies bring it into newbie games a lot

Analysis of rvs admittedly takes some getting used to

Return to “Mafia Discussion”