Long term health of mafiascum

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #800 (ISO) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:04 am

Post by Kison »

While we haven't ruled out any sort of ranked system, I don't see that as a low hanging fruit. If we were to go that route we'd likely do so once game automation - or at least game tracking - is first in place.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #801 (ISO) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:09 am

Post by GreyICE »

Low hanging fruit is probably a better start page and a better newbie queue. The entire splash page screams "early on 2000s"
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #802 (ISO) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:24 am

Post by GreyICE »

Oh here's some SUPER low-hanging fruit. The post button currently works by finding the absolute post number, instead of the post number relative to the thread.

So

Code: Select all

[post]800[/post]

Does nothing.

[post]p10093577[/post]

Also does nothing.

[post=#10093577]Some stupid text here[/post]

This works.

Now intuitive programming wise, the first one should produce instead of what I ACTUALLY had to type to get that output.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #803 (ISO) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:26 am

Post by chamber »

[post=800][/post]
also works.
Taking a break from the site.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #804 (ISO) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:29 am

Post by chamber »

[post]800[/post]

also works. the # infront forces it to reference the global rather than relative id.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #805 (ISO) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:49 am

Post by GreyICE »

Edit: Huh, so it does, but it shifts the code to the older version. The mouseover text is still the same though. Nice upgrade.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #806 (ISO) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:19 pm

Post by chamber »

This is how it has always worked.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #807 (ISO) » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:22 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

By the way I always like the way the site looks, no need to improve the look further. Maybe the banner could use an update.
Vaxkiller
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #808 (ISO) » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:44 am

Post by Vaxkiller »

Again, I'm not sure where the retention problem is, but perhaps after newbie games are over maybe we can "invite" them to other queues/games or at least give them a TLDR of what they can expect from other types of games.
Vaxkiller is not anti-vaccine, he is a killer of Vax machines.

Games played.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #809 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:25 am

Post by Kison »

In post 801, GreyICE wrote:Low hanging fruit is probably a better start page and a better newbie queue. The entire splash page screams "early on 2000s"
I certainly agree on the home page and would like to tackle that at some point soon. I think the main goal should be to explain the site better & do away with the graphic. While the latter is informative, it's a bit overwhelming & having to view it on a completely separate page is not very friendly. We should probably link directly to the registration page as well.

In other news, just a few days ago we launched an automatic "welcome PM" that is sent to non-alt users on their first login:

Spoiler:
Welcome to MafiaScum, NewUser! We're glad to have you!

To sign up for your first newbie game, visit the and post
/in
. You will be added to the queue & receive a private message when your game begins.

If you're a more experienced player, you can find more games in the forum.

Good luck & we hope you have fun!

I'm sure the messaging can be improved, but several new users have already clicked through to the queue from the message itself.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #810 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:29 am

Post by Mathdino »

thank you based kison

i am thoroughly surprised that wasn't already a feature

but this was a very good addition
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #811 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:26 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In post 809, Kison wrote:
In post 801, GreyICE wrote:Low hanging fruit is probably a better start page and a better newbie queue. The entire splash page screams "early on 2000s"
I certainly agree on the home page and would like to tackle that at some point soon. I think the main goal should be to explain the site better & do away with the graphic. While the latter is informative, it's a bit overwhelming & having to view it on a completely separate page is not very friendly. We should probably link directly to the registration page as well.

In other news, just a few days ago we launched an automatic "welcome PM" that is sent to non-alt users on their first login:

Spoiler:
Welcome to MafiaScum, NewUser! We're glad to have you!

To sign up for your first newbie game, visit the and post
/in
. You will be added to the queue & receive a private message when your game begins.

If you're a more experienced player, you can find more games in the forum.

Good luck & we hope you have fun!

I'm sure the messaging can be improved, but several new users have already clicked through to the queue from the message itself.

Some more ideas, in no particular order. Some of these are trivial, some of these are probably a bit of coding

- Links to Scummies-Awarded games
- Date for next Marathon weekend
- List of games currently in signups (this is HUGE - but requires some work to automate queues more)
- List of games in need of replacements (optional, might not be our best foot forward)
- List of newbie queue games currently in signups

I'd love it if signups were automated, and could send out a specific email when the queue popped. Or maybe even the option for a text message? Is a text too complex?
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #812 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Post by Psyche »

oh boy automated signups i forgot that was a thing
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #813 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

maybe give listmods like, a button to press when a game fills sending the email
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #814 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:53 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 811, GreyICE wrote:- List of games in need of replacements (optional, might not be our best foot forward)
For this, I assume you mean in some place other than the devoted thread for that purpose? That being, a place which the hope would be for higher visibility and either automation (mod inputs replacement needed-->shows up on list; mod inputs replacement no longer necessary-->removed from list) or a rapidly-updated easily-accessed post of some kind?

Something like that would indeed be awesome.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #815 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:58 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Exactly. All of that on the start page when you log in. You know, how Amazon shows product selections, new stuff, top picks. Show games in signup, games needing replacements, top completed games, that sort of thing. Not as cluttered as something like www.boardgamegeek.com, but something more like a modern splash page for a website. The nonfunctional landing site is dying thanks to the irritation of "clicking through" on mobile phones. I think mobile and tablet devices are climbing north of half of all internet usage, and the splash page is remarkably unfriendly to them. Giving them things they can click on in a landing page is not.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #816 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:32 pm

Post by Kison »

- List of games currently in signups (this is HUGE - but requires some work to automate queues more)
- List of games in need of replacements (optional, might not be our best foot forward)

I'd love it if signups were automated, and could send out a specific email when the queue popped. Or maybe even the option for a text message? Is a text too complex?
These are all things we'll be doing immediately after we upgrade the board. Which is getting fairly close, by the way(if you're good with CSS, let me know as you'll speed up the process quite a bit).

Text notifications would be simple. If the demand is there, we could figure something out.

As for Marathons, I've dug into it a bit. It looks like we used to do them multiple times a year until about 2015. As far as I can tell, there's no real coordination for when the next one will be. I'll see if we can come up with some kind of schedule, or at the very least announce the next one well in advance.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #817 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:39 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

I love BBMolla's suggestions.
green shirt thursdays
Mulch
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Mulch
Gotta Go Fast
Gotta Go Fast

Post Post #818 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:43 pm

Post by Mulch »

A ranked queue will be the death of the site

The rest of the stuff discussed here all sounds great
Amrock#3784
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #819 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:09 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 818, Mulch wrote:A ranked queue will be the death of the site
Why

If you don’t like the queue you don’t play in it who cares?
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #820 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:14 pm

Post by BBmolla »

It’s like someone saying “team mafia will ruin the site,” it’s absolute nonsense.

Any arguments about people using it to show off or whatever are dumb arguments anyway. Any of us who have played league or over watch or whatever games know the “my stats are better, you play support.” But that shouldn’t stop ranked games it’s really not that big of a deal and that sort of thing happens at this site already so it won’t be any different.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #821 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:17 pm

Post by GreyICE »

In post 816, Kison wrote:

These are all things we'll be doing immediately after we upgrade the board. Which is getting fairly close, by the way(if you're good with CSS, let me know as you'll speed up the process quite a bit).
Unfortunately all my CSS experience is from around 2012 at the latest. Which, in internet terms, I think means I have a fine grasp on fire, and know how to build a square wheel. Otherwise I'd take you up on that.
Show

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #822 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:42 pm

Post by Zachrulez »

In post 820, BBmolla wrote:It’s like someone saying “team mafia will ruin the site,” it’s absolute nonsense.

Any arguments about people using it to show off or whatever are dumb arguments anyway. Any of us who have played league or over watch or whatever games know the “my stats are better, you play support.” But that shouldn’t stop ranked games it’s really not that big of a deal and that sort of thing happens at this site already so it won’t be any different.
I mean the idea that a ranked queue getting popular enough that it might get difficult to find an unranked game could be a legitimate worry. I just see all this clamoring for a ranked queue and my thought is... why? Do people think it will actually measure player skill in any meaningful way? It's possible to play a great game and still lose just as it's possible to play an absolutely awful game and still win. There's probably even an argument for it making players more toxic as their rage level builds on that unreasonable player that just won't listen
because their rating is riding on this!

I mean I don't even hugely care and it didn't take me long to think about these potential issues.
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #823 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:08 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 822, Zachrulez wrote:
In post 820, BBmolla wrote:It’s like someone saying “team mafia will ruin the site,” it’s absolute nonsense.

I mean the idea that a ranked queue getting popular enough that it might get difficult to find an unranked game could be a legitimate worry. I just see all this clamoring for a ranked queue and my thought is... why? Do people think it will actually measure player skill in any meaningful way? It's possible to play a great game and still lose just as it's possible to play an absolutely awful game and still win. There's probably even an argument for it making players more toxic as their rage level builds on that unreasonable player that just won't listen
because their rating is riding on this!

I mean I don't even hugely care and it didn't take me long to think about these potential issues.
If it means more players stay than there's no problem, it'll even out. If it means all the current players move to it and retention rates go unchanged, then we get rid of it.

Like Blitz queue
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #824 (ISO) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:49 pm

Post by BBmolla »

I donno. I guess it depends on what your vision for the site is.

For me I want this to be the go to place for forum mafia focusing on dayplay. I think it's the purest form of mafia and I haven't seen anywhere else have it down as well as we do. I think the next step in keeping incredible players here is to give them a chance to thrive by letting them prove themselves.

In addition, I think it's important also to keep our roots, which is our incredible theme games that are balanced like nowhere else.

I think this is the place for both of those things to thrive, but I guess that's just me.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”