Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1231 (isolation #0) » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:01 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

In post 1218, Mathdino wrote: it's just always the older players that scumread me and it's like
i can't please everyone even if i want to figure out how to
why were you scumread, curious
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1243 (isolation #1) » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

gdi elli i'm here writing paragraphs and you say it in like seconds :giggle:
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1245 (isolation #2) » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:26 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

In post 338, Mathdino wrote:I asked other people weigh in on this.
Which they didn't (and you guys wonder why I haven't been able to do anything).
I think I see your problem. I feel like you could have not posted the 'the venmar X varsoon exchange is garbage' because it didn't help anyone see they were town for it, and it helped people to scum read you when you were town. (Not that I would scumread you for that, it was the SK who pushed you based on a *wall* argument lol) Basically, you leaked fuel for others to attack you, and it was entirely town as you have seen. Less is more. You say you do much better at replacing in, and that shows that you need to improve your early game. I also think you could cut out what you say in the quote and other similar things, seems passive aggressive. It reminds me of writing advice, cut out the filler, only leave things that progress the story. Would this statement really be necessary to progress the game? (IE: Lynching your scum reads)

That's why I like to have short posts. The more I say, the more chances I give for others to misunderstand me. Do remember that communication between two people is a cycle of *Think > Speak > Listen > Think > Speak*. Meaning, you think something, so you say what you think you mean, and that comes out as some form of noise that the second person has to decipher, and yet doesn't exactly know what you mean simply from what you say. All this to say that, it's damn easy to misunderstand someone and the more words you give the easier it is to find something stupid from what you were saying and you are like 'why do people misinterpret what I'm saying in this way'. (Cuz I'm saying so much that they have so much leeway to mess it all up)

Of course, it seems in the past people feel I care way more about my image then I should, but it's something I kind of have to do otherwise if I just don't filter myself same thing would happen to me because i'm scatterbrained. Also, I will agree that some of the reasons for people to scum read you were dumb lolclaim. Some were based on your interaction, and I think people generally just don't like it when a person goes 'but what you did was even more bad then what I did' so I think if you just cut those things out and just explain yourself clearly you'll do better. Also if you are gonna push a wall garbage argument, push for short and nice clean posts at the same time. It would be more pro-town. :D
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1254 (isolation #3) » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:36 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

Story: I say that because a short post is easy to see and digest as opposed to a longer post. I just love the idea of posting one sentence after a person posts a wall. Although, I do like your point that one shouldn't post something that puts you at a disadvantage long or short. That I can agree.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1267 (isolation #4) » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:09 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

In post 1250, Mathdino wrote:this is in large part fair

the "spill my guts" thing is a learned behaviour; when i premeditated all my posts in 2013 i would get lynched a LOT for it

but when i hipfire statements i learned that it pulled a shitton of towncred from the 2014 and onward crowd. helped a lot with charisma with a lot of younger players, but it obviously resulted in "that one guy" deathtunneling me every game, usually an older player
in playerlists like these, i drown for it

i more meant that 1v1 wallposts are garbage and i wanted them to stop, because in my experience people are bad at reading 1v1 wallposting and are more likely to come to inaccurate conclusions as a result

but yeah i often find that i don't really totally know what to do in early game, so i just force SOMETHING, get scumread for it, and dig myself out of it by being a content producing machine afterwards

i wasn't sure how to allocate my posts given the geriatric post restriction though, and there were 14 other players to talk about rather than just 8
i remember being really uncomfortable writing a lot of posts, felt like i was playing scum
What do you mean by hipfire? Yeah, if you follow what Elli is saying, you know how to cater to the 2014 and on audience, you just need to figure out how to cater to the older audience. I think 1v1's will happen anyway, and what you said didn't stop it or convince others to stop, so it only hurt you and was neutral when it came to fulfilling what you were saying (stopping the walls). I think town can benefit from 1v1's if they use it as a chance to understand each other. (Oh, I thought you were scum but now I understand your mindset, I back off now) I think if it went on for too long, you would be right to say 'ok guys it's time to wrap up the wall wars now, it's going in circles'. I think you not knowing what to do in early game simply means that you can still experiment and figure out what you should do in early game. Think of it as a challenge. Otherwise, if you can't find anything, better to post nothing and take notes and observe and post when you have something you feel is worth while. (Of course, playing that way probably won't challenge you to improve yourself though, up to you though) Things I like to do in early game: Post early, find something scummy, and blow it out of proportion, and gain reactions, and create discussion and go from there. Then lay off and come back later. Wagon, etc. Maybe you feel like scum because you have to play differently then you are used to, or because you feel like you have to seem town when you're town? (Although seeming town as town is good :D)

We should hydra. I focus on early game, and you focus on middle/late game. You can tell me 'hey this guys it town' and i'm like why? and you're like 'JUST CUZ' and I'm like wut. Yeah. Anyway would be interesting.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1269 (isolation #5) » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:11 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

In post 1262, Varsoon wrote:It was quite embarassing
i let soulja boy down

Also, Reckoner, you swore the ability I had that made my avatar into Goku served some purpose--what was it?
It's ok I've forgotten to submit stuff as scum before. I think I was also dayvig once and almost forgot I was dayvig too. Cept in that game I just shot a town neibhor. :oops:
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1272 (isolation #6) » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:22 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

I get what you mean. I was serious in asking you why you town read me in the team mafia game, other then 'sauce replace/team comp'. Well, you know what to do. Effort post then, less hipfire. I think we should still try the hydra. I think hydraing is good as you can understand how each person's mind works while also playing at the same time. Hydra Dissonance? I wouldn't post any. What we'd do is make united reads, and take turns voting to pressure, and promise not to come in and retract a vote on a town read or something, instead talk and take care of that internally.
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1278 (isolation #7) » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:44 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

Maybe you should try town binning first like usual, and then scumhunt those players you have remaining. Also, just play more games. Maybe you'll start to get more of a feel for what town posts *do* make and scum posts *don't* make. I mean, generally scumhunting is pro-town, no? Sometimes a player will post to the point where you are like "I think this player is town but he committed so many errors that I cannot justify a defense / stop his mislynch." Yes, that means that Ranmaru shouldn't have a whole mountain of evidence for a person to read me as scum, it would be more my fault rather then the lack of your ability to convince people that Ranmaru is town in the example you gave me. Although in that example you *could* also give more than one measly reason for why I'm town. :P
Ranmaru
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Ranmaru
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1284 (isolation #8) » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:03 pm

Post by Ranmaru »

In post 1280, Mathdino wrote:i typically flounder in a playerlist full of mostly unreadables (i have less confidence in my reads than i should tbh) like this one or mhsmith's game
Then maybe it'd be better you town bin later, yeah. I just think it's better for you to observe then, or at least shake things up and just try to find town from there. I'm sure you'll figure out a way. On confidence, I have realized me being confident doesn't = me being accurate. It just makes me more likely to death tunnel, even if I'm wrong. I mean, look at team mafia. I posted this video to Action Dan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS3lR9XOQxM When I was only 1/3. :P Every time I post that video it's always to town, then when I'm like 'meh I don't know how I feel about this lynch' two scum are lynched. I'm sure you'll get the hang of early game as long as you try different things instead of doing the same thing. (Sure, it'll likely get you heat, but you'll learn from it, and who better then a teacher to try new things so he can learn new things eh?) Anyway, I won't clutter the thread any more. Seriously, let's hydra sometime, we'll talk more about this via PM.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”