Slay the Spire

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:34 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So here's my latest run. It turned out a little weird because of Pandora's Box, but it got me past the Awakened One:

I thought I had Ascension 4, but I guess I was only on Ascension 3 for Silent.

And here's my most recent failure, which I think I was attempting some sort of defend+shiv deck:

One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:36 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 74, GreyICE wrote:
In post 72, Sudo_Nym wrote:
In post 71, GreyICE wrote:I'm happy to offer Silent help, I think I can state with some confidence I know what I'm doing on Silent.

You might be overfocused on Noxious Fumes, it's just one way to scale, and not even the best one. Terror, Skewer, Burst & Malaise, all perfectly viable methods of getting there.

Mind posting some decks?
I'll try to remember next time I play Silent, but my general strategy with Silent is to load up on cards like Backflip, Caltrops, and Noxious Fumes, and try to turtle up and wittle away. I'll pick up attacks like Dagger Spray that hit everything or hit multiple times, or Cloak and Dagger that can do good block while also damaging, and I'll go in on Shivs if I can get an Accuracy in the first zone. It's generally good enough to get me to the third zone, but then I usually peter out against a third zone elite.

Ironclad, my strategy is usually just to try and keep my deck thin, and then cycle through as many high damage cards as quickly as I can. That tends to either win the run, or die in zone 1, depending on how well I'm doing mental math in that span.
If you can log into run history and post some failed ones, I'll probably grasp the problem. It sounds like you've focused on too defensive though. Make sure to hit elites! The more relics the better. There's a lot of ways to win, and you can give yourself opportunities. Hit shops with enough gold to grab relics like Snecko Skull, Shuriken, Kunai, things you can build around and win the match with.
Generally, when I pick a route, I choose whichever route has the highest combination of Elites+Camps, so I wind up hitting shops whenever they come up, rather than directly seeking them out. Maybe an error.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:10 pm

Post by implosion »

Generally, when I pick a route, I choose whichever route has the highest combination of Elites+Camps, so I wind up hitting shops whenever they come up, rather than directly seeking them out. Maybe an error.
I generally directly seek out shops if and only if I have a lot of money (250-300+). With that much money, a shop can act as your choice of any relic or card you want, which is powerful since you can get something fitting a build or start defining a deck archetype. Alternatively seek them out if you need to remove a curse/cards in general if you're going for a thin deck.

However, big important thing to note here: ? spaces are godsends. Especially IMO in zone 2. So many of them have the potential to be archetype-defining/gamebreaking in zone 2: gaining a book, vampirism, upgrading all strikes+defends, etc. I'm sure I'm forgetting some broken ones. But all of those events are in certain circumstances capable of carrying runs *entirely* on their own if you find them. Obviously this won't give you perfect consistency but there are plenty of ascension levels that I got past by getting the upgrade all strikes+defends event, iirc.

This is complemented by zone 2 elites, as greyice mentioned, being giant assholes.

Seriously, fuck gremlin leader when you don't have a really strong deck. Not that stabbing or taskmaster are nice either.
KaleiÐoscøpe
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
=====[]

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:32 am

Post by KaleiÐoscøpe »

Finally made it past the Ascension 2 as the Silent with just stacking poison, eventually playing 0 cost cards because of relics that gave free strength and dexterity once you play 3 attack cards. Didn't even burn my lizard tail in this run.
KaleiÐoscøpe
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
=====[]

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:22 am

Post by KaleiÐoscøpe »

Had a lucky run with the Ironclad now too. Strengthstacking became really OP at some point because of apperition
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:20 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

honestly for me it's more like, i will tackle every act 1 elite i can with ironclad but stay away from them on silent
act 2 elites fuck up ironclad hard but silent can usually deal with them well enough
act 3 elites are awful, dodge dodge dodge
green shirt thursdays
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:52 am

Post by GreyICE »

Silent needs the relics though, silent just works better with relics (Silent plays more cards, and more cards = works better with most of the relics). Also silent cards are generally weaker, so the relics are a larger part of her power. It's much more important for Silent to hit all the act 1 elites she can, so draft a deck capable of dealing with them - Sucker Punch, Dash, Glass Knife, Backstab, other high damage attacks are very, very important for her early. Like first card pick I'll take Glass Knife over Noxious Fumes every single time. I'd take Backstab over Noxious Fumes as well.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:51 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

LMFAO SEARING BLOW
green shirt thursdays
KaleiÐoscøpe
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
=====[]

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:05 pm

Post by KaleiÐoscøpe »

Got an early Shuriken and decided to a shiv deck to stack strength, then bought a relic that let's you start with three shivs at the start of the battle which is basically free strength. Then I got lucky getting a Bloody Idol which is so fucking good.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:37 am

Post by GreyICE »

Great deck, and great example of early relic pickups doing work in Silent. Ditching Defends over Strikes with Astrolabe is an interesting choice, but it definitely worked out for you.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
KaleiÐoscøpe
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
=====[]

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:07 am

Post by KaleiÐoscøpe »

Got an early Molten Egg and decided to just rush attack cards and beat down all early bosses. Only the time lord near the end was rough. Also, everything being vulnerable at the start and having two innate mindblasts is busted holy
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:28 pm

Post by Papa Zito »

5 cleaves :o
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:17 pm

Post by Klick »

This was an adventure. Got Body Slam and Calipers early on, so I went for a defensive build that never ran out of block and used Body Slams to finish. I thought Ice Cream would be useless when I first got it, but when Whirlwind showed up at the beginning of Act 3, I realized I was never using all of my Energy and it would be a strong backup win condition against Donu and Deca. THREE Impervious was a godsend, so much synergy with Body Slam and Calipers. All in all a great run.

Spoiler: I wonder what the play is here...
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:56 pm

Post by Klick »

Oops.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:17 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

today's daily challenge was fun even though i HATE shiny
green shirt thursdays
KaleiÐoscøpe
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
=====[]

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:03 pm

Post by KaleiÐoscøpe »

Hahaha all those wounds :P
KaleiÐoscøpe
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
=====[]

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:16 pm

Post by KaleiÐoscøpe »

Anyone tried the new one yet?

I had a deck so right to beat the spire wih a lot of shivs and of course my run ends because the final boss is the timelord which literally blocks my deck
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:18 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

ive tried the new character

i won once but i feel like it was by sheer dumb luck
i have done probably 10 runs so far and feel like i dont know what the archetypes are
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Sat May 05, 2018 11:44 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

finally got a good run on defect. and wouldnt you know, it had nothing to do with orbs :\

green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sat May 05, 2018 11:45 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

i had +21 dex on the last boss
green shirt thursdays
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sat May 05, 2018 2:03 pm

Post by Klick »

Playing Defect for the first time, gonna go into it having basically no idea how anything works. I'll report back when I find out how bad he is!
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sat May 05, 2018 2:50 pm

Post by Klick »

oh goddammit I'm playing what's essentially a crazy Power build and I've got the anti-Power boss at the end
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sun May 06, 2018 5:52 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I haven't been able to play Defect since opting into the beta isn't working for me, but from what I've seen, the Defect is fairly underpowered compared to the Ironclad/Silent.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sun May 06, 2018 6:43 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

yeah they're definitely still having to sort out how the defect scales

the only orb build ive seen work is a lightning orb build. dark orbs take too long to scale up and get powerful, frost orbs only give you TWO BLOCK, plasma orbs give you more energy AFTER you channel them on the next turn so it can be clunky
green shirt thursdays
TheButtonmen
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
TheButtonmen
Buns of Steel
Buns of Steel

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sun May 06, 2018 6:58 am

Post by TheButtonmen »

ive cracked asc 6 with pure frost

stuck with 3 orb slots used glacier, chill and so on to constantly be evoking

kill was 2 upgraded blizzards very small deck (~15ish?)
Routine day with a dirt cheap brush
Then a week goes by and it goes untouched
Then two, then three, then a month
Then the rest of your life, you beat yourself up

Return to “The Arcade”