[SETUP] LMBTMPWTSAAWP7GIARAEPIGTBSALOAYG1PFEGYW

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them
Happy Scumday!

[SETUP] LMBTMPWTSAAWP7GIARAEPIGTBSALOAYG1PFEGYW

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:29 pm

Post by xyzzy »

or,

lovers mafia but the mod picks who the scum are and we play 7 games in a row and each player is guaranteed to be scum at least once and you get 1 point for each game you win

I and a few other mods ran a lovers mafia variant during Marathon Weekend called "lovers mafia but the mod picks who the scum are" (that's 2 mafia lovers and 4 townies) where the mod personally chooses who the mafia are; in one that I ran, one player said in their /in post that they would like to be scum with another player, so I made those two players scum together. it adds a unique layer of mod WIFOM to the game and produces memorable results.

this is a variant on that where the winner(s) are decided by which player(s) win the most games. if one player manages to win all 7 of their games, for instance, that player will win alone, but if, say, a couple of people win 5 of the games, then they both win.

the moderator makes the choices for who to be mafia only after the previous game finishes and does so by whatever means they choose, as long as by the end every player has been scum at least once -- the game probably shouldn't be run in the open queue because this aspect of the game definitely qualifies as bastard modding. the moderator has a high level of influence over how each subgame goes, and can potentially do game-breaking things like not make a particular player scum until game 7 (thus just giving the town players a free guaranteed win).
Last edited by xyzzy on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #10 (isolation #1) » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:30 am

Post by xyzzy »

In post 9, callforjudgement wrote:This reminds me of the unexpected hanging paradox. You want the fact that a player is scum to be unexpected, but it has to happen at least once. It can't happen for the first time in game 7 because players would know it would happen by then. So by the same reasoning, it can't happen in game 6, or game 5, or game 4…
I actually almost linked to that in my opening post, but decided not to on the basis that it's not really 100% unexpected (the mod
could
intentionally have game 7 be impossible to win for scum), just unlikely -- the possibility that something like that might happen and that players shouldn't plan around it not happening is a feature rather than a bug.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”