Modbot to Help You Run Games: Now With A Votecounter Demo!

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Modbot to Help You Run Games: Now With A Votecounter Demo!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:32 am

Post by Psyche »

tl;drA web-based demo of the votecounter can be found here: [LINK DEAD FOR NOW] - you'll need a Google Account to use it.

If you want to go ahead and start using Modbot, a Windows pre-release is available here. Right now it supports Automatic Pagetopping (for reserving pagetops in your threads!) and a demo of a super-accurate votecounter (aimed at counting votes in any existing thread just like mods do), and we could use feedback on how well it works. Much developing is still left to do!

This project is called "Modbot".
The goal is base of tools automating the more trivial activities a game moderator does.
I started this project long ago here and got tons of useful feedback; now, I'm ready to start releasing useful products.
These include some useful modules likely to be useful to other developers doing similar things,
But the main milestone being pursued right now is an automated pagetopping votecounter that works really well and is easy to use
As far as that goes, I'm on the last lap

The code for this last lap are trivial to implement, computationally speaking. However, there are a lots of ways I can finish this very last lap.
For this reason, I want your help making decisions about the way I'll actually do this. So that when it's all done you'll actually want to use it.
If you're interested in this effort, I hope you'll provide said help.

Some things I want to know...

What would you want a 'ModBot' to do for you?
Can you sort these in order of priorities? How do existing resources for these activities currently fail you? For example, maybe you really want a Bot to do votecounting for you, or maybe you'd appreciate having an easier time assigning and sending out role pms. There's not much that game moderators do that a modbot can't do (besides, like, creating Scummie-winning flavor or setups or stuff like that - though generic flavor and setups are of course possible).
Right now
, I'm going for the pagetopping votecounter.

How do you want to
interact
with 'ModBot'?
For example, do you want it to be an app in your desktop? Maybe a Google Form you fill out and edit? Something that controls your account to complete accounts, or a bot account you "co-mod" games with? A unitary resource, or a set of tools? There are many more possibilities besides these.
Right now
, I'm thinking between a client-side application or browser extension.

More broadly, how should Modbot's tools be designed?
For example, how would you like to dictate how the formatting of votecounts?

Please consult the link near the start of this post to understand what's already been said about these topics already.
Last edited by Psyche on Tue May 29, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 10 times in total.
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:32 am

Post by Psyche »

I hope to make this thread an organized place for both discussion and release of everything useful done related to this project.

Project Repository: https://github.com/MafiaScum-Unofficial/modbot

What's Done
  • A Votecounter And Votecounter Tester
    . Over ~300 games drawn from the Mini Normal Archive where D1 ends in a lynch, it gets the final D1 votecount right 98.65% of the time without using any aliasing (as long as what decides who dies D1 is who gets a majority of votes first after post 0). Currently written in python, and to be publicly released on GitHub this week.

• A Module of Functions Automating Most Interactions With the Site
    . Logging in, collecting posts in a thread, making posts in a thread, sending PMs, and more (and more on the way, too). Just import the module, set your username and password, and go, without ever thinking about how it happens. In donbot section of the repo above.

Near Term Release Plans
  • [
    *]Configure GitHub repository/repositories to host modules finished so far and files to finish in the future.
  • A votecounter demo to convince the community of its effectiveness at detecting even the most lazily formatted votes, to allow other developers to test their own
  • votecounters, and to facilitate detection of potential improvements to it.

• An easy, text-based framework to provide moderators full control over how votecounts output by modbot are structured and formatted.
  • A client-side tool anyone will be able to use to automatically pagetop game threads with an up-to-date votecount following formatting of the client's choosing.
  • From there, I incrementally add functionality to the client-side tool depending on site demand and personal interest. A fully autonomous modbot
    could
    happen, but the goal here is more conservatively just to produce an assistant.
  • I'm going for these five phases of release over the next several days and weeks. They build off of one another in neat but substantial steps.

On RadarAutomated Night Action Resolution
    Simultaneous/templated role PMs
    Auto-prodder
    Thread lock/unlocker
    Last edited by Psyche on Tue May 15, 2018 8:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
    youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm