Long term health of mafiascum

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #478 (isolation #0) » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:17 pm

Post by tn5421 »

I made a spreadsheet with the original data linked by chamber

Viewable by you gents here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... qU/pubhtml
WIP
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #549 (isolation #1) » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:26 pm

Post by tn5421 »

According to Thesp, most of the processing time his votecounter uses is his ReGeX (non-technical: It searches for patterns, in this case
Vote:
) expressions looking for votes using bold tags.

The thing is, offsite you HAVE to use bold tags, since nobody else really likes to do custom bbcode.
WIP
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #565 (isolation #2) » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:44 am

Post by tn5421 »

In post 562, Majiffy wrote:HURT: Toonami

What the heck, this is a thing?

VOTE: Majiffy
WIP
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #568 (isolation #3) » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:50 am

Post by tn5421 »

HEAL: Iecerint, HURT: Majiffy
WIP
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #571 (isolation #4) » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:35 am

Post by tn5421 »

HEAL: chamberHURT WITH A BLADE: ika
WIP
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #574 (isolation #5) » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:30 am

Post by tn5421 »

This sounds like a good mish mash game
WIP
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #597 (isolation #6) » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:56 pm

Post by tn5421 »

no
WIP
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #658 (isolation #7) » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:43 pm

Post by tn5421 »

In post 656, Junpei wrote:
In post 652, Psyche wrote:I think Junpei should make a thread where he explains just what skillful mafia play consists of.

actively participating, not quoting a post and say "hmm this is scummy.." "why?" "its my gut feeling"

no shit posts (if you need to know what a shitpost is i can point you to some of my past games - I've encountered some epic town shitposters.

there's a lot of things that maek you a shit mafia player. MoI and Regfan were two of the best players on this site, and they used structured arguments founded on good reasoning. Using well grounded reasoning and being able to differentiate between red herrings and truth = good mafia player.

In general if you're an illogical nerdy mess in real life (Majiffy can describe this type of person a lot more I'm sure) you will suck at this game.

Would you mind pointing out a selection of shitposts that range from extremely blatant to more subtle? I think that everyone should learn to recognize them for what they are, and for that we the people need a large initial sample size to work with to identify the prevalent patterns that shitposts and their relevant shitposters follow.
WIP
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #670 (isolation #8) » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:28 pm

Post by tn5421 »

It seems to me that if you get more subtle than slightly-subtle shitposting, it becomes more and more valid as a posting tactic.

I think that is what Om was going for, except for the complete lack of subtlety involved. He seems to be developing a meta around being mentally unbalanced as town (as he was in the game you linked).

Out-of-context, the empking links look like a personal vendetta as-presented. A quick iso reveals he seems to have been posting 1 liners for most of the game.
WIP
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #671 (isolation #9) » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:35 pm

Post by tn5421 »

I had a conversation with a friend and he feels that our registration button isn't prominent enough.

MrGcube&tn5421 wrote:
8:29 PM - MrGcube: Ok, so from the get-go, I think the login/register selections could be more visible
8:29 PM - MrGcube: right now, they're hidden amongst the other options
(discussion of registration option placement that isn't really important)~~~
8:34 PM - MrGcube: rather than base the login on another site that has a login
8:34 PM - MrGcube: just make it clear and visible
8:34 PM - tn5421: and how would you do that without blotting out the other elements>?
8:35 PM - tn5421: ....i guess the real question is
8:35 PM - tn5421: how would you do that without blotting out other elements AND making it look unprofessionally done?
8:35 PM - tn5421: moreso than any other skinned-but-generic phpbb3 installation, at any rate
8:35 PM - MrGcube: You might decide to create some Buttons which you could style using CSS
8:36 PM - tn5421: are you trying to imply i have graphical skills?
8:37 PM - tn5421: <3
8:37 PM - tn5421: j/k i get what you mean
8:37 PM - tn5421: Can you show me a site that uses a similar method?
8:38 PM - MrGcube: there's nothing to stop you doing cowboy webdev, i.e., grab the css from a site that looks like it does it quite nicely
8:38 PM - MrGcube: if it achieves the result you want, then there's no real loss, is there
~~~~
8:39 PM - MrGcube: I like the login button on this site, but it's still not very visible for me http://www.dbfinteractive.com/forum/index.php
8:39 PM - MrGcube: If it were larger, it would be fine
8:39 PM - tn5421: you mean the one below the logo, right
8:40 PM - tn5421: not the one near the login form?
8:40 PM - MrGcube: that's the one, although having multiple options is useful
8:41 PM - MrGcube: when I login, this is what I see http://puu.sh/gvgE6/84b5a6a836.png
8:41 PM - MrGcube: It's ok, but not that good
8:41 PM - tn5421: the databit looks out of place with the theme being how it is
8:42 PM - tn5421: actually there are a few problems i can point out now
8:42 PM - tn5421: that search bar is way out of the way of anything useful
8:42 PM - tn5421: why isn't it to the right of the logout menu/button

(topic change to something non-relevant)
WIP
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #681 (isolation #10) » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:36 pm

Post by tn5421 »

@junpei: the links are broken in half on mobile, I'll look the next time I'm on my desktop.
WIP
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #684 (isolation #11) » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:24 pm

Post by tn5421 »

Thanks muffinman
WIP
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #714 (isolation #12) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:38 pm

Post by tn5421 »

I went and made such a lobby. Now we just need to see if anyone will use it.
WIP
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #767 (isolation #13) » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:38 pm

Post by tn5421 »

I would support a modest size increase for our avatars. Absolutely no bigger than 150x150, preferably to 128x128.
WIP
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #770 (isolation #14) » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:49 pm

Post by tn5421 »

In post 769, mastina wrote:
In post 767, tn5421 wrote:I would support a modest size increase for our avatars. Absolutely no bigger than 150x150, preferably to 128x128.
At the very least I'd increase the height (100) to match the width (120), because there are plenty of avatars which fit as perfectly squared off, or fit slightly better when taller, but which run afoul of this and thus are forced to be either not used or decreased in size.
I suggested 128x128 because it was the de-facto internet standard for a long time, and therefore infinitely easier for find avatars for by looking.
WIP
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #776 (isolation #15) » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:04 am

Post by tn5421 »

In post 772, Lycanfire wrote:i'd pay at least $10 for double eye patches
I'd pay an additional $10 for a third eye patch.
WIP
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #868 (isolation #16) » Fri May 04, 2018 6:57 pm

Post by tn5421 »

Spoiler: reply to post 754
forum mafia is not easily played on a phone.
I vehemently disagree. Sure, it's difficult on
Mafiascum
, but that doesn't mean it's difficult anywhere else.
We've fallen behind a bit here with other sites offering better game automation.
This definitely is a problem for mafiascum; other sites have accomplished this, where mafiascum still dismisses it as 'voodoo magic'.
We need to upgrade the board.
Ideally, to something that isn't phpbb.
2) Automating the queues to some extent - makes it easier to see what's coming up & allows us to begin tracking some stats, and also opens the door for...
I, for one, have never understood why the Queue forum needs to exist at all. It would be much easier to pin each game type's queue at the top of the forum it's played in. Something could be worked out for Large Themes, like making a Queue Thread for it as normal, but signup/setup information linking to a Released PT containing specifics, much like how currently Large Theme signups are their own threads now.
3) Moderator tools. Even if we merely automated vote counts, the gameplay experience is greatly improved & eases the burden on the supply-strained moderator pool.
Absolutely. Vote counter tools are absolutely useful, but don't always account for voter shenanigans such as double voting or vote stealing.
- Automated PM to new users explaining what to do. We lose a lot of people right after they activate their account. I have no proof for why, but my suspicion is they're overwhelmed with what to do next.
And I'm sure we lose many more to the 'newbie queue' which was, when I joined, rather newbie unfriendly (matrix6 required memorizing 6 setups right off the bat), not to mention how long it takes for games to get started. I'm sure most people never even bother to check back more than once after signing up, if they even make it that far.

Spoiler: things i replied to uselessly that i ignored in my first go around that nobody probably cares about
:
Teenagers I meet now have no clue what a forum is... they use reddit, maybe, but they use Tumblr, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. MS wasn't born in the time of social media dominance that we now experience. Forums seem outdated.
Forums such as Spacebattles are doing extremely well.

:
It could also be that mafiascum screams Web 1.0 in a way which communicates neither trustworthiness nor intimacy.
I find this a lot more likely.

:
Between the ISO feature, Private Topics, and our ability to have 100 games running at once, we're pretty far ahead of almost every other site in re: being able to host Mafia games
Lots of other sites also have the capacity. A few places don't even require a human moderator, other than to deal with player reports if someone goes too far. We're actually behind the curve there.

:
I will definitely say that if we're moving towards a skin redesign (or any other changes of that ilk) we need to get general concepts from the general public, then turn a small group loose on it to actually implement the specifics. If we let the whole site discuss the minutiae of a site visual update, nothing will ever get done.
This applies to everything to do with this thread and it's topic, IMO.

:
I think we also might be able to become more appealing if we had a better automation system. I know automated signups/game tracking have been talked about for a long time, but no other site has that.
Just off the top of my head, boardgamegeek does, in fact, have game automation. They call those games 'automods'. I doubt they're the only ones to automate the more boring parts of running games.
WIP
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #876 (isolation #17) » Sat May 05, 2018 12:47 am

Post by tn5421 »

In post 875, davesaz wrote:Just thinking of how other sites / apps get user feedback.
It generally happens organically because the mods and the players are all friends united by some other purpose in addition to mafia.
In post 799, brassherald wrote:I think one thing to promote retention would be to lower the duration of the days. I would be willing to bet you lose most players in their first newbie game during day 1.

Also, a ranked queue is just going to lead to toxicity, in my opinion. Like, if a player ends up ranked number 3 in the forum, how do we now make it so that this player is in games that match his (now, fully measured) skill level without just forcing the top 9-21 players to play literally every game together? It will lead to elitism and smaller queues.

I also think we need a fully formed theory of the ranked system including the method of scoring, etc. before anyone can really say "Yeah, this works" How do we score a mafia player? Is it pure win/loss? Do they earn points for lynching a player of the other faction? Do you earn more points by playing against someone better than you? Does it account for luck at all?

Even if I thought the ranked system was a good idea, the discussion would need to begin with "Here's a ranking system, let's work out the kinks." not "let's have a ranking system"
MTG Salvation had ranked games for a bit. Here are their iterations of their scoring system.

Spoiler: alpha-feb-2012
Townie Scoring System
-1 points for every townie mislynch while they were alive, that you did not take part in.
-4 points for adding your vote to a townie lynch.
-8 points for being lynched.
+2 points for each unsuccessful end-of-day vote against a mafia or SK.
+8 points for every mafia or SK lynch they participate in.
+2 points for each unlynched dead scum at end of game (crossfire, vig-kill, etc.)
+8, +7, +6 Townie Case Starters*
+8 points for being night-killed by the scum.

Mafia and SK Scoring System:
Mafia/SK points for each dead townie while alive: +3
Mafia/SK points for survival: +16

Townie Win: 0 Points
Mafia Win: 10 Points
SK Win: 50 Points.

Spoiler: beta-july-2012
Townie Scoring System:
-3 points for being lynched.
-2 points for every townie death they participate in.
-1 points for every townie mislynch they did not take part in, but were alive for.
+1 point for every scum death they did not take part in, but were alive for.
+2 points for each unsuccessful or successful end-of-day vote against a mafia or SK (does not supersede -2.5 penalty - you get both).
+3 points for every mafia or SK death they participate in (through vig, track, investigation, etc.).

Mafia scoring system:
-1 point for leaving the game without fulfilling win condition.
+1 point for each night period they are alive for.
+1 point for every non-mafia lynch they participate in.

SK scoring system:
+1 point for each night period they are alive for.
+2 points for every threat's death they participate in (this is anyone that can kill them through a night action and the cop).

Non-SK Neutral scoring system:
+1 for each successful step towards win condition.

Post game scoring:
+2 for fulfilling any alternative/additional win conditions.
+4 points for townie win.
+4 for non-SK neutral fulfilling win condition.
+4 points for mafia win.
+8 points for SK win.

Bonus Points:
+2/day played before replacing in (max 6) for replacing in.
+2 for mod award.
+4 for first judge award.
+1 for any judge award after the first is given out.

Penalties:
-12 for (forced) replacing out/modkill for activity (gains no points or bonus after receiving this).
-8 for modkill for rule breaking (gains no points or bonus after receiving this).
-4 for replacing out voluntarily (gains no points or bonus after receiving this).
-4 for bad sportsmanship (flaming, trolling, etc.)(judges rule, mod nomination).

Spoiler: season 1, may 2014
Townie Scoring System:
-3 points for being lynched.
-2 points for each townie death they participated in (through a lynch or a vig-like ability).
-1 point for each townie mislynch they did not participate in, but were alive for.
-1 point for being endgamed (being alive at the end of the game and losing).
+1 point for each scum death they did not participate in, but were alive for.
+1 point for being NKed; +1 point bonus for being the first NK; +2 point bonus for being NKed as Vanilla.
+2 point for each scum role or ability investigated.
+2 points for each townie death prevented with an ability.
+2 points for each unsuccessful end-of-day vote against scum (including Mafia, SK, or CL).
+4 points for each scum death they participated in (through a lynch or vig-like ability).

Mafia scoring system:
-3 point for leaving the game without fulfilling win condition.
+1 point for each non-mafia death that occurs while alive.

Survivor scoring system:
-2 points for leaving the game without fulfilling win condition.
+1 point for each day or night period survived.

SK scoring system:
+1 point for each night period they were alive for.
+2 points for each threat's death they participated in (this is anyone that can kill them or obtain information against them with an ability).

Hitman scoring system:
+1 point for each night period they were alive for.
+2 points for each target that died while the Hitman was alive.

Cult Leader scoring system:
-1 point for each dead recruit.
+2 points for each player successfully recruited.

Post game scoring:
+2 points for fulfilling any alternative/additional win conditions.
+3 points for each surviving member of their mafia team.
+4 points for townie win.
+4 points for non-SK neutral fulfilling win condition.
+8 points for SK win.

Bonus Points:
+1 point for each individual judge award (5 total).
+2 points for receiving a mod award.
+2 points for each day played before replacing in (min 2, max 6) for replacing in.

Penalties:
-12 points for forced replacing out/modkill for activity (gains no points or bonus after receiving this).
-8 points for modkill for rule breaking (gains no points or bonus after receiving this).
-4 points for replacing out voluntarily (gains no points or bonus after receiving this).
-4 points for bad sportsmanship (flaming, trolling, etc.)(judges rule, mod nomination).

Their version of the NRG had 5 people review each game and assess how players did.
WIP
tn5421
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
tn5421
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #878 (isolation #18) » Sat May 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Post by tn5421 »

In post 877, Vijarada wrote:#fuckcurse
I don't know anything about them, but I've only heard bad things.
WIP

Return to “Mafia Discussion”