Player Titles - Ideas, Suggestions, & Comments

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #37 (isolation #0) » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:50 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 0, Psyche wrote:This thread is not for nominations for player titles. Go here to make a nomination of a player.
Just as a heads-up: you don't actually have a link to the thread for nominations in the OP, even though the "Go here to make a nomination" makes it sound like you intended there to be one there.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #38 (isolation #1) » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:09 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 9, Davsto wrote:Titles based on a single, recent event.
I think that titles based on a single event are, if memorable enough, worthy of a title--if it's a funny story to tell five years from now, it's worthy of a title.

Sure! If the event is so forgettable that a month from now it loses its appeal, not a good title--but making a broad rule against titling off of a single recent event seems to be a mistake because it blocks those good titles from being put in play. This is where the community (and as the final judge, the title fairy themselves) comes in:
They ask, "Okay, this was a recent event, but does it have staying power?" Is it something worth talking about years down the line? If the answer is broadly thought to be yes, then I think allowing the title to go through is something which should be an option. If the answer is generally agreed to be, "eh...probably not", then the event is probably forgettable.

I don't have a strong opposition to your idea, though:
My personal idea is that a title based on a recent event (within the last week or from a game which ended within the last week) should be delayed once they gain enough popularity - and then be reintroduced by the Title Fairy within a week or so, and then made to go through the nthing process from scratch.
I agree with the idea in principle, but I feel that in order for this to be viable solution, you need to have a shift in the title fairy community.

Many good title ideas are shot down because they lack the support.

It is generally thought that, "Well if they lack the support, surely that means the title isn't a good one!"
Not necessarily. Sometimes, people just have suggestions which aren't picked up on. And this would be similar. By killing the initial momentum, the supporters for the title fade away...and then don't come back, except in some rare occasions. So I feel that support (or rather lack thereof) is not alone a good enough indicator for the lasting power of a title, and a metric based off of this would be a mistake.

Basically, I don't think the system should be: *five people support an idea*-->*title is put on hold*-->*idea is revisited*-->*number of people still supporting idea justifies title's acceptance/rejection*.
It'd be better if it'd instead be: *people support an idea*-->*title is put on hold*-->*idea is revisited*-->*people decide if the title still holds merit*.

Though similar, they aren't identical. The former is arbitrary: enough people think something, therefore it is good/not enough people think something, therefore it is bad. The latter is not. I feel the culture should be aimed towards achieving the latter. Making the change Davsto suggests blindly wouldn't work by itself.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #85 (isolation #2) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:12 am

Post by mastina »

Wht th fck dd zrstr d t fck p hs ttle?!?
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #147 (isolation #3) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:41 pm

Post by mastina »

I hold trust in the title fairy.
To be honest, I think this makes for an interesting experiment if nothing else--but can help demonstrate exactly
why
the title fairy system was operating the way it was.
I feel like there could be potential to this idea--but not in its current form. But I trust in Pysche to have a critical analysis of this experiment, and to be able to gather what he wants from it.

This experiment has a couple of advantages.
This experiment has a lot of obvious disadvantages.
I hold faith that Psyche will be able to look at what has transpired, and be able to figure out what in this experiment worked, what didn't, and that he'll improve the titling process as a result.

I do agree though that this experiment should only be a temporary thing. For how long, that's Psyche's call. But this system as it
currently
is would not be something I'd throw my support behind, not without a fair amount of revisions. I largely agree with Grey's stance, in that this system does allow for far more titles to be implemented, but at too large a cost to quality. It has
potential
, just...not quite like this.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #159 (isolation #4) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:58 pm

Post by mastina »

Nah, I'd say not enough.
Usually, the more who think it's real, the more epic the reveal it wasn't will be.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #171 (isolation #5) » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:00 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 167, Cheetory6 wrote:Pineapple is garbage.
Pineapple is garbage.
Cheetory says he is garbage.
Therefore, Cheetory is...pineapple?
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #177 (isolation #6) » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:16 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 174, Nahdia wrote:
In post 172, McMenno wrote:mastina's name ends with an a.
nahdia's name ends with an a.
therefore, mastina is...nahdia?
that'd be a hell of a twist.
Hey Psyche, I can't delete posts in this forum, can you delete my alt-slip?
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #240 (isolation #7) » Mon May 07, 2018 11:45 am

Post by mastina »

WRONG THREAD