The New Set-Up Review Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #3066 (isolation #0) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:57 pm

Post by mastina »

Yo.
I really want the next game of mine to run to be a mini theme, which will be openly 7:2:2:2.
I've gotten the setup set up more or less, but I could still use a review.
Obviously, given the nature of a game like...THAT, it will be swingy-as-fuck. Absolutely nothing I can do about that!

But I actually
do
care about balance, here. Like, really really care about balance. While reducing swing is impossible, removing any imbalance in the factions and any breaking strategies is not. And THAT is where a reviewer or two comes in! Basically, I need someone to look it over and make sure the final setup is "Swingy, not absolutely broken". Perfect balance might not be able to be achieved (especially given the swing factor), but I DO want at least a roughly even playing field.
While I
think
I have it close, a second or even third pair of eyes would be appreciated.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #3092 (isolation #1) » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:16 pm

Post by mastina »

I need a reviewer or two for this:
Spoiler: Public Mechanics
Night
and
Day
Mafia
18 players, not-really-bastard-but-partially-deceptive
. (All given information will be 100% accurate, it's just that information won't be given as readily as usual.)
The Light, The Dark.
  • This game is explicitly a 14:4
    Town
    :
    Mafia
    game.
  • There will be four phases for each game: Dawn, Day, Dusk/Twilight, and Night. Dawn and Dusk/Twilight will last only as long as necessary for all pertinent actions taking place at that time to be resolved. (Namely, player transfers.)
  • There will be a game thread open during the day and closed during other phases, just like any other mafia game. It is in this thread players will post and vote.
  • However
    , this game will be divided into two sides:
    Light
    and
    Dark
  • Each side will have a neighborhood in which all current members of the side may talk at all times.
  • The
    Dark
    side is Mountainous: any player who is in the dark side cannot use their role, even if they know what their role is.
  • The
    Light
    side is Role Madness: every player who is in the light side has a role which they may use for as long as they are on the light side.
  • Players who begin in the Dark will not be informed of what their role is. Instead, they will be informed of their alignment, and of their role
    type
    . (E.g. a Vigilante would be "Town Killing", a Cop would be "Town Investigative".)
  • Players who die in the Dark will not have their full role PM flip: they will have their alignment and role
    type
    flip. (E.g. a Vigilante would flip "Town Killing", a Cop would flip "Town Investigative".
  • Dynamics are determined not by starting position, but by
    current position
    . That means, a player who started as Light will, if Dark, not have their role work; that same player who started in Light will, if killed, have only their role type flip. Similarly, a player who started as Dark will, if killed in Light, have their
    full flip
  • Players
    only get one lynch per day
    , determined in the game thread. This is not two separate games.
    Both halves are either won or lost by all members
    . Similarly, the mafia only get
    one kill per night
    . Town wins when all four mafia are dead; mafia win when they hold majority. This, regardless of how many town/mafia are in light/dark.
  • Scum have the freedom to choose which side they kill from. I.e., if the town lynches from the Light, the mafia have the choice of killing nobody, killing from the Light, or killing from the Dark.
  • Obviously, it may arise where one side at the end of a day or night has notably more members than the other side. If one side has
    two members more
    , then the other side will cast a majority vote on which player they wish to steal. In the case of a tie, the side with more members will hold a vote between the tied members on who they will lose. If a tie still persists, the moderator will do a dice roll to determine the player sent over. If one side has
    four members more
    , then this same process is simply doubled with two players sent out to equalize.
  • If the sides are both equal in number, once per game cycle (i.e., once in D1/N1, once in D2/N2), the mafia may choose to switch any two players from opposing sides.
  • Each scum player, unlike the town players, knows what power they possess even if they start on the dark side.
    • The mafia, however, have received
      full safeclaims
      which exactly mirror a real town role PM.
  • In addition to possessing a personal power, each mafia player possesses a
    personal factional boon
    , an additional scum power they hold access to while in the Light.
  • Light/Dark distribution was entirely randomized. You might have four mafia start in Dark, four mafia start in Light, three in Dark/Light, or two in each.
  • Mafia may use ALL of their actions at once.
I need someone to take a look at the balance (it IS a Role Madness game, after all--just with a twist).
I do need to set up standard modding stuff (things like my rules, opening post, and the exact format of all role PMs), but this shouldn't be necessary for reviewing the game; you should have everything you need available right now. (There's no flavor, just the Light/Dark mechanic outlined above.) A very short, sweet, simple game, so hopefully, a very short, sweet, simple review.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #3131 (isolation #2) » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:53 pm

Post by mastina »

Hey there.
I'm in need of a reviewer or two for my next Large Theme, The Mod is
Mafia
I AM THE SUPREME RULER OF ALL
  • This game is explicitly a
    :
    Town
    :
    Mafia
    game.
  • I,
    mastina
    , your game moderator, am aligned with
    the
    Mafia
    as a fifth member. I have those four players' best interests at heart at all times.
  • Given this inherent premise, this game is bastard-as-
    hell
  • However, I am still your game moderator. I will guarantee you that all official moderator information will be guaranteed to be accurate (barring mod error of course). The opening post, rules, game mechanics, all votecounts, prods, replacements, flips, etc. will be handled as a moderator and not as a player and are thus immune to falsification.
  • I can vote like any player, but my vote is worth 0.
  • I can be voted, but I cannot be lynched; votes on me will do nothing and are equivalent to Not Voting.
  • I cannot inform the mafia of any player's role.
  • I cannot inform the mafia of the existence of any role.
  • As an extension, I cannot inform the mafia if a town player is fakeclaiming or realclaiming a role.
  • I cannot submit night actions for the scumteam.
  • However, I CAN be sent to do the nightkill if the scumteam so chooses to elect me to do so.
  • I am therefore a valid target of any night action myself.
  • Though I am incredibly limited in what I can/can't say, I am permitted to vaguely help the mafia in their planning.
  • I am able to post as a player.
  • I am able to abuse my moderator edit/delete powers to further the scum wincon of my own free will.
  • The mafia may ask me to edit or even delete any post. However, there are restrictions to this.
    1. I cannot manipulate official game content: votecounts, prods, flips, etc. are all guaranteed to be accurate.
    2. I cannot delete any post with a valid vote or a valid unvote.
    3. I cannot edit a valid vote or a valid unvote out of a post.
    4. If a vote or unvote is only invalid because of broken tags, I cannot edit/delete it because I am moderator-bound to fix the broken tag and thus it will become a valid vote/unvote and be subject to the above rules.
    5. The mafia cannot ask me to break tags in a post where tags were working, as I am moderator-bound to fix any broken tags.
    6. The mafia cannot ask me to delete essentially a whole gamedays' worth of posts.
    7. The mafia cannot ask me to delete a post made over three phases ago.
    8. The mafia cannot ask me to edit a post made over five phases ago.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #3135 (isolation #3) » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:59 pm

Post by mastina »

In post 3133, Mulch wrote:
In post 3131, mastina wrote:Hey there.
I'm in need of a reviewer or two for my next Large Theme, The Mod is
Mafia
I AM THE SUPREME RULER OF ALL
  • This game is explicitly a
    :
    Town
    :
    Mafia
    game.
  • I,
    mastina
    , your game moderator, am aligned with
    the
    Mafia
    as a fifth member. I have those four players' best interests at heart at all times.
  • Given this inherent premise, this game is bastard-as-
    hell
  • However, I am still your game moderator. I will guarantee you that all official moderator information will be guaranteed to be accurate (barring mod error of course). The opening post, rules, game mechanics, all votecounts, prods, replacements, flips, etc. will be handled as a moderator and not as a player and are thus immune to falsification.
  • I can vote like any player, but my vote is worth 0.
  • I can be voted, but I cannot be lynched; votes on me will do nothing and are equivalent to Not Voting.
  • I cannot inform the mafia of any player's role.
  • I cannot inform the mafia of the existence of any role.
  • As an extension, I cannot inform the mafia if a town player is fakeclaiming or realclaiming a role.
  • I cannot submit night actions for the scumteam.
  • However, I CAN be sent to do the nightkill if the scumteam so chooses to elect me to do so.
  • I am therefore a valid target of any night action myself.
  • Though I am incredibly limited in what I can/can't say, I am permitted to vaguely help the mafia in their planning.
  • I am able to post as a player.
  • I am able to abuse my moderator edit/delete powers to further the scum wincon of my own free will.
  • The mafia may ask me to edit or even delete any post. However, there are restrictions to this.
    1. I cannot manipulate official game content: votecounts, prods, flips, etc. are all guaranteed to be accurate.
    2. I cannot delete any post with a valid vote or a valid unvote.
    3. I cannot edit a valid vote or a valid unvote out of a post.
    4. If a vote or unvote is only invalid because of broken tags, I cannot edit/delete it because I am moderator-bound to fix the broken tag and thus it will become a valid vote/unvote and be subject to the above rules.
    5. The mafia cannot ask me to break tags in a post where tags were working, as I am moderator-bound to fix any broken tags.
    6. The mafia cannot ask me to delete essentially a whole gamedays' worth of posts.
    7. The mafia cannot ask me to delete a post made over three phases ago.
    8. The mafia cannot ask me to edit a post made over five phases ago.
Hoooly shit this looks fun
Loosely, Ginngie is reviewing it but I could always use an extra set of eyes (thus why I didn't remove the add).
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #3200 (isolation #4) » Wed May 02, 2018 1:48 pm

Post by mastina »

Hi there everyone.
I'm looking for a reviewer for Lynch The Wolves, an
18p Large Theme
The important thing to know:
In post 1251, mastina wrote:Game was designed to be "Alisae-lite". As in, a game inspired by the aesthetic of an Alisae game. It is
not
role madness, but it is far, far, far, FAR from mountainous.
I don't anticipate much balance work (in spite of the inspiration), but you're probably in for quite a lot of reading/proofreading/asking about interactions to check my work, as it were.
Last edited by mastina on Wed May 09, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet

Post Post #3202 (isolation #5) » Wed May 09, 2018 11:14 am

Post by mastina »

In post 3200, mastina wrote:Hi there everyone.
I'm looking for a reviewer for Lynch The Wolves, an
18p Large Theme
The important thing to know:
In post 1251, mastina wrote:Game was designed to be "Alisae-lite". As in, a game inspired by the aesthetic of an Alisae game. It is
not
role madness, but it is far, far, far, FAR from mountainous.
I don't anticipate much balance work (in spite of the inspiration), but you're probably in for quite a lot of reading/proofreading/asking about interactions to check my work, as it were.
Bumping this because it's been a week and I still need this.

Literally the holdup for this game is that I don't have it reviewed.

Many of my games I can run without reviews because those games are kosher to run without a review thanks to mechanics, but this game actually has a NEED for a review and I can't begin the game until it's completed.

Edit:
Unless they run away screaming in terror, SirCakez and Ircher should have me covered. <3

Return to “Mafia Discussion”