Problems with the Queues

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #31 (isolation #0) » Wed May 16, 2018 4:36 pm

Post by chamber »

Not to toot my own horn too much, but I honestly think a big issue has been the technical stagnation that happened when I stopped doing stuff. I can't stand working with zor (and it's not fair to put that entirely on him). So we just basically haven't gotten any major upgrades recently. The good news is that this is changing though, others -have- been working on things more recently, its just been paying back some tech debt from when nothing was being done (ie migrating to 3.2). Technical changes -should- be coming again.
Taking a break from the site.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #34 (isolation #1) » Wed May 16, 2018 5:26 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 31, chamber wrote:Not to toot my own horn too much, but I honestly think a big issue has been the technical stagnation that happened when I stopped doing stuff. I can't stand working with zor (and it's not fair to put that entirely on him). So we just basically haven't gotten any major upgrades recently. The good news is that this is changing though, others -have- been working on things more recently, its just been paying back some tech debt from when nothing was being done (ie migrating to 3.2). Technical changes -should- be coming again.
Like a lot of your problems can be solved technically with something like this:

viewqueue.php

I know someone was working on a newer version.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #38 (isolation #2) » Wed May 16, 2018 6:30 pm

Post by chamber »

Myself kison and kunkstar worked on it from 2013-14 on and off, then at the end of 14/beginning of 15 I did a big push to get it done, but got into an argument with zor so it sits at like 95% done and unused.

I believe the new guys started from scratch, so don't use this as a sign of what the new version would look like.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #93 (isolation #3) » Sat May 19, 2018 1:04 am

Post by chamber »

I don't have the numbers, so I'm willing to be surprised, but my intuition is that activity and other health factors (active slots in games?, new registers) has been on decline for like 6-7 years.

It getting talked about every 6 months doesn't mean it's only a problem every 6 months.

It's also my intuition that the queues are actually now too numerous for the amount of players going through them. There aren't enough players being channeled into too many games so they don't fill properly. (Maybe there are just a lot of people tied up in games when I've been paying attention recently, anecdotes are of limited value ultimately).

With all of that said, UT pointed out a substantial problem to the solution you propose. The administration doesn't agree with any given user on the issues let alone the solutions, so peoples willingness to work on their projects gets the site no where on it's own.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #96 (isolation #4) » Sat May 19, 2018 1:52 am

Post by chamber »

I guess so because that hasn't helped clarify your position to me if it wasn't the one I was responding to.

edit: though if your point is that I'm ineffective at being convincing, I don't go into things with that intent.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #121 (isolation #5) » Sat May 19, 2018 11:27 am

Post by chamber »

In post 115, Ircher wrote:I don't think some of the listmods update the queue as much on the weekends, which I think is understandable.
Something being logistically reasonable given the current setup, and yet still undesirable can be true.

I would, with very rare occasion, put any blame on any of the listmods for their activity. It's a mostly thankless volunteer job that takes a lot of consistent work. We can still want better than we expect of 1 reasonable person doing it? The question is how to get there.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #168 (isolation #6) » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:08 am

Post by chamber »

In post 167, Mathdino wrote:I suppose a mod response from someone other than UT (whose queue has 0 critiques) or Aristophanes (who isn't in a position to change anything) was a bit of a pipe dream.
There are issues of transparency still, but based on the whispers I've heard, I assure you some points are being taken seriously.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #173 (isolation #7) » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:16 am

Post by chamber »

That got me to laugh out loud.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #212 (isolation #8) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:54 am

Post by chamber »

In post 210, Pine wrote:I feel the need to express that I have no problem with the site or the way queues are run.
I don't either really. I think nearly everyone would find they are here because they are fine with the way things are. If they weren't they'd leave. But that is a dangerous mind set, it leads to stagnation. Could you honestly make 0 improvements if given infinite power?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”