Colour in role PMs

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Colour in role PMs

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Thu May 31, 2018 3:50 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

(This problem originally came out of some role PM standardisation work I was doing for Normals. However, this is very much a Theme problem, so it's not really within the NRG's purview.)

Many (most?) moderators use colour in their role PMs and flips in order to make it clearer at a glance what faction a player belongs to. However, I'm interested in what the most common colour scheme for this is, and if particular factions tend to always be associated with particular colours. (Also, if anyone uses colour for features other than faction/win condition, I'd be interested in that too!)

Town
and
Mafia
are by far the most used factions, and tend to be consistently associated with green and red.
Werewolves
(and second Mafia) also seem to have a standardised color, being given a different shade of red from the Mafia (although the difference between "red" and "darkred" isn't visible on mafBlack, so perhaps they should be
orange
or something nowadays).

The only other colour that I'm fairly confident in is that
Survivors
are grey. This normally results from a wincon change following a modkill – people tend to get mad at mods for putting a Survivor in their setup – but that's common enough for me to have observed a pattern in how mods did it.

But what about all the other possible factions/wincons? Do they have colours of their own? If not, what colour should be used for, e.g., the setup summaries on the wiki? I feel like Serial Killer is definitely used often enough to be standardised/standardisable, and Jester might be.

A full list of the factions that need colours: Town, Mafia, Serial Killer, Werewolf, Survivor, Unjester, Jester, Mime, Lyncher, Unlyncher, Cult, Inquisitor, Mentor, Arsonist. My current provisional assignment is shown on the wiki as Template:FactionColor, but you might well have better ideas on how to colour things than I do. Ideally, the colours would be at least visible on every skin, and would not mislead players about how their win condition worked.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #3 (isolation #1) » Thu May 31, 2018 5:19 pm

It's probably impossible to get the wiki to produce rainbow text (unless we can do it with some sort of CSS filter).

I agree that most of the obscure factions probably don't have a standard color, but I'm working on an automated role PM generator and it'll have to use
something

Perhaps some simple rule like "town-compatible third parties are grey, town-incompatible third parties are purple"? Or do we want to make each third party a different color in case two of them are used in the same setup?
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6 (isolation #2) » Thu May 31, 2018 7:27 pm

There's a lot more than 40. Anything on this list should work if you remove the spaces, e.g.
palevioletred
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #14 (isolation #3) » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:02 pm

Well, most of these alignments don't exist in Normal games, although "which colours should we use in Normal role PMs for scum and town" is something that the NRG might want to regulate, I guess? I thought it was standardised already, though, but maybe not.

Also, the grey I used for Survivor above is just "gray".
scum
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”