Slay the Spire

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #18 (isolation #0) » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:44 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Silent for me basically comes down to getting your poison synergy up asap and then playing defensively; or getting a bunch of Shivs and stuff and cycling through your deck as much as possible.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #26 (isolation #1) » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:02 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Snecko Skull is so good that it makes a lot of bad decks work. I'm not sure what that says about the balance that a lot of Silent decks work if you can get a Snecko Skull and fail otherwise.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #69 (isolation #2) » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:37 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'm having a lot of trouble getting past Ascension 4 with either class. I felt like I was doing well with Ironclad, but I seem to have hit a wall with the "thin deck" strat. My winrate with Silent has improved since I started playing more defensively, but it seems like my last few runs have petered out because I can't get Noxious Fumes in my rewards to actually capitalize on defense, so I just block until I get a bad hand and get wiped.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #72 (isolation #3) » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:25 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 71, GreyICE wrote:I'm happy to offer Silent help, I think I can state with some confidence I know what I'm doing on Silent.

You might be overfocused on Noxious Fumes, it's just one way to scale, and not even the best one. Terror, Skewer, Burst & Malaise, all perfectly viable methods of getting there.

Mind posting some decks?
I'll try to remember next time I play Silent, but my general strategy with Silent is to load up on cards like Backflip, Caltrops, and Noxious Fumes, and try to turtle up and wittle away. I'll pick up attacks like Dagger Spray that hit everything or hit multiple times, or Cloak and Dagger that can do good block while also damaging, and I'll go in on Shivs if I can get an Accuracy in the first zone. It's generally good enough to get me to the third zone, but then I usually peter out against a third zone elite.

Ironclad, my strategy is usually just to try and keep my deck thin, and then cycle through as many high damage cards as quickly as I can. That tends to either win the run, or die in zone 1, depending on how well I'm doing mental math in that span.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #75 (isolation #4) » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:34 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So here's my latest run. It turned out a little weird because of Pandora's Box, but it got me past the Awakened One:

I thought I had Ascension 4, but I guess I was only on Ascension 3 for Silent.

And here's my most recent failure, which I think I was attempting some sort of defend+shiv deck:

Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #76 (isolation #5) » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:36 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 74, GreyICE wrote:
In post 72, Sudo_Nym wrote:
In post 71, GreyICE wrote:I'm happy to offer Silent help, I think I can state with some confidence I know what I'm doing on Silent.

You might be overfocused on Noxious Fumes, it's just one way to scale, and not even the best one. Terror, Skewer, Burst & Malaise, all perfectly viable methods of getting there.

Mind posting some decks?
I'll try to remember next time I play Silent, but my general strategy with Silent is to load up on cards like Backflip, Caltrops, and Noxious Fumes, and try to turtle up and wittle away. I'll pick up attacks like Dagger Spray that hit everything or hit multiple times, or Cloak and Dagger that can do good block while also damaging, and I'll go in on Shivs if I can get an Accuracy in the first zone. It's generally good enough to get me to the third zone, but then I usually peter out against a third zone elite.

Ironclad, my strategy is usually just to try and keep my deck thin, and then cycle through as many high damage cards as quickly as I can. That tends to either win the run, or die in zone 1, depending on how well I'm doing mental math in that span.
If you can log into run history and post some failed ones, I'll probably grasp the problem. It sounds like you've focused on too defensive though. Make sure to hit elites! The more relics the better. There's a lot of ways to win, and you can give yourself opportunities. Hit shops with enough gold to grab relics like Snecko Skull, Shuriken, Kunai, things you can build around and win the match with.
Generally, when I pick a route, I choose whichever route has the highest combination of Elites+Camps, so I wind up hitting shops whenever they come up, rather than directly seeking them out. Maybe an error.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #97 (isolation #6) » Sun May 06, 2018 5:52 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I haven't been able to play Defect since opting into the beta isn't working for me, but from what I've seen, the Defect is fairly underpowered compared to the Ironclad/Silent.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #117 (isolation #7) » Wed May 16, 2018 12:25 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I seem to have topped out on Ascension 7 with Ironclad, but I've gotten to Ascension 9 with Silent. When's Defect getting a full release?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #127 (isolation #8) » Thu May 24, 2018 6:23 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Daily Runs are easier than normal runs.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #135 (isolation #9) » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:11 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I got the Defect unlocked after doing a run as both Ironclad and Silent yesterday.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #140 (isolation #10) » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:25 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

The 0-Cost deck is probably the most powerful deck, but you gotta get a bunch of claws, some scrapes, some holograms, and at least one All for One; the +2 energy for 1 Void card is really good, too. And pray you don't run into Time Master.

Return to “The Arcade”