Haschel's Weekly Trivia League! Week 9!

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Haschel's Weekly Trivia League! Week 9!

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:17 am

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

Week 9's theme is Mythical Beasts And Where To Find Them!

Hello, Scummers! I'm going to be trying a new weekly trivia game. Each week I will give you a category along with 12 trivia questions related to that category. All you have to do is answer them. Simple as that!

Here's how scoring will work. You get 15 points for every question you get correct. In addition, each week you will designate five questions as MONEY QUESTIONS. If you get a question you designated as a MONEY QUESTION correct, you will get bonus points equal to the percentage of participants who got that question wrong. If you get a MONEY QUESTION incorrect, no bonus points for you!

Finally, at the end of the quiz is a space for you to suggest themes for future weeks. I will weight the suggestions of players who score better higher, although I will mostly be choosing on what I think is a fun category to write for.

Standard trivia contest rules apply! No Google or outside resources; do not look anything up.

Next week... Deserts!

Deadline is next Tuesday, noon PDT.

Spoiler: Trophy Case
GOLD:
Empire; The Mafia, Scum, and Mafiascum, Disco Inferno
Bellaphant; Deserts
xofelf; Bonus Round 1, Eurovision
TanisNikana; Things Nobody Knows
brassherald; Monty Questions
Errantparabola; Video Games
Nexus; Mystery Theme 2

SILVER:
Nexus; The Mafia, Scum, and Mafiascum, Monty Questions, Eurovision, Videogames
Racefan; Deserts
Xalxe; Bonus Round 1
Errantparabola; Things Nobody Knows
xofelf; Disco Inferno
TanisNikana; Mystery Theme 2

BRONZE:
TanisNikana; The Mafia, Scum, and Mafiascum
Nexus; Deserts
Errantparabola; Bonus Round 1
Bellaphant; Things Nobody Knows
xofelf; Monty Questions, Video Games
BROseidon; Eurovision
brassherald; Disco Inferno
Pine; Mystery Theme 2

Last edited by Haschel Cedricson on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #5 (isolation #1) » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:21 pm

You have my favorite wrong answer so far, so that counts for something.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #9 (isolation #2) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:04 am

Just don't look up the answers and you're golden.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #12 (isolation #3) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:02 pm

This entire website revolves around playing games, and with that is the tacit idea that games will be played fairly. There's no prize to this game, looking up answers serves literally no purpose.

I do not appreciate your implication that Mafiascum is nothing but a den of cheaters.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #17 (isolation #4) » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:16 am

Also, just so people know, scores do not carry over from week to week so you are free to play as much or as little as you like without fear of commitment.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #20 (isolation #5) » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:00 pm

I will keep stats, don't worry.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #21 (isolation #6) » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:11 am

Today is the last day to play in Week 1!
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #25 (isolation #7) » Tue May 01, 2018 8:12 am

Let's get some answers!

Spoiler:
QUESTION 1) Members of the Mafia traditionally don't refer to their organization as "the Mafia". Instead they prefer what two-word Italian term that roughly translates to "Our thing"?
COSA NOSTRA

QUESTION 2) What is being diagrammed below?
SEPTIC TANK

QUESTION 3) Two subforums on Mafiascum are named after references to a classic science-fiction "trilogy". Name the author of these books.
DOUGLAS ADAMS

QUESTION 4) The government's biggest weapon in prosecuting members of the Mafia is the RICO act, which allows leaders to be prosecuted for crimes they ordered others to do. Name three of the four words abbreviated in "RICO".
RACKETEER INFLUENCED CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS

QUESTION 5) Scrubbing Bubbles, Tilex, and Rejuvenate are all commercial products specializing in the removal of what type of scum?
SOAP SCUM

QUESTION 6) In order to be classified as an IC for purposes of Newbie games, how many Mafia games must a user play?

QUESTION 7) In 1929 seven members of the North Side Gang were executed by a rival gang. What is the festive name given to this event, and who ordered this killing to take place?
ST VALENTINE'S DAY MASSACRE, AL CAPONE

QUESTION 8) "Skim the scum [...] with a spoon or fine mesh strainer every 10 to 15 minutes for the first hour of cooking and twice each hour for the next 2 hours. Add hot water as needed to keep bones and vegetables submerged." So says Alton Brown in his recipe for making what?
CHICKEN STOCK
(Accepted any kind of stock. Broth is a different thing so it didn't count.)

QUESTION 9) A Mafia roleblocker targets a Town jailkeeper. The Town jailkeeper targets the Mafia Roleblocker. The Town vigilante targets the Mafia roleblocker. The Town bodyguard also targets the Mafia roleblocker. The Mafia goon targets the Town vigilante. Assuming this is a Normal game using Natural Action Resolution, does anybody die, and if so, who?
THE TOWN VIG AND THE TOWN BODYGUARD

QUESTION 10) In the Mafia, the Don or Boss is in command, with the underboss reporting to him. What rank, consisting of people who are the head of a smaller crew of soldiers, reports to the underboss?
CAPO/CAPOREGIME

QUESTION 11) Pond scum is formed when algae builds up on the surface of a body of water. When the algae growth is unusually rapid or extensive it is referred to by what botanical-sounding name?
BLOOM

QUESTION 12) What role is being pictured here?
VENGEFUL/VENGEFUL TOWNIE

Here are the results!

Congrats to Empire for winning the very first contest by a commanding margin.

Week 2 is live! This week's category is "Deserts"!

Next week I'm taking my favorite suggestion courtesy of VashtaNeurotic: "Things Nobody Knows". Deadline is next Tuesday at noon PDT.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #31 (isolation #8) » Tue May 01, 2018 8:44 am

In post 30, xofelf wrote:Can you explain what the numbers mean exactly? Slightly confused by them.
Sure. Each question you got right gets you 15 points. The cells in green are the questions that each player designated a MONEY QUESTION. If a player missed a MONEY QUESTION then it stays at 0. But if they get it right, then they get 15 points PLUS the percentage of players who got it wrong at the top of the chart.

The medals are self-explanitory, and N's name is green by mistake.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #34 (isolation #9) » Tue May 01, 2018 10:04 am

In post 33, brassherald wrote:I'm pretty positive I put 5 in for the IC question. But, whatever.
Ah, yes you did.

Your new total is 227.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #45 (isolation #10) » Tue May 01, 2018 11:34 am

In post 44, Cheery Dog wrote:You mean he didn't submit what is your username as one of his money questions?
ahahahaha looking at his answers that is indeed exactly what happened
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #49 (isolation #11) » Tue May 01, 2018 1:40 pm

Appeal denied. Broth is seasoned and made from simmering meat, while stock is unseasoned and relies on simmering the bones. Also, the question called for a recipe that required three hours of cooking which is way too long for cooking broth.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #62 (isolation #12) » Tue May 01, 2018 7:35 pm

In post 58, BuJaber wrote:I must say that as bad as I am doing this is really fun and it's a struggle waiting for each week to finish.
I'd go faster but writing 12 themed questions is surprisingly time-consuming.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #70 (isolation #13) » Sat May 05, 2018 6:30 pm

I had a stupid idea in the shower and now you all get a bonus round! Deadline is the same time as the regular round, so work fast!
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #75 (isolation #14) » Tue May 08, 2018 8:23 am

Results are in! I'm going to wait to reveal them until I am at an actual computer. In the meantime, though, you can get a head-start on Week 3! The category for this week is Things Nobody Knows!

Next week I'm going with what is by far the most popular suggestion: Monty Questions!
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #76 (isolation #15) » Tue May 08, 2018 10:30 am

Okay, answers are ready!

Spoiler:
QUESTION 1) What is by far the largest desert on Earth?
ANTARCTICA

QUESTION 2) The Great Man-Made River is the world's largest irrigation project, bringing 6,500,000 gallons of water per day through 1,750 miles of pipes beneath the desert to several major cities. The first stone was laid by a head of state in 1984, and expansion was halted in 2011 due in part to a revolution that resulted in that same leader being deposed. In what country is the Great Man-Made River located?
LIBYA

QUESTION 3) "On the first part of the journey I was looking at all the life. There were plants and birds and rocks and things. There was sand and hills and rings." So sang a man telling about his trip through the desert. Who was his companion?
A HORSE WITH NO NAME

QUESTION 4) 6% of the world's camel population is the two-humped Bactrian camel. The remaining 94% is what one-humped relative?
DROMEDARY
(Arabian Camel was also accepted.)

QUESTION 5) The smallest hot desert in North America is also the hottest; a valley in the northern part set a record for the highest ambient air temperature ever recorded. Name this desert (NOT just the valley).
MOJAVE

QUESTION 6) Despite the inhospitality of the Gobi Desert, cities such as Hami, Dunhuang, and Old Turpan served as important stops for travelers taking the northern path of what trade route?
SILK ROAD

QUESTION 7) Round the decay / Of WHAT colossal wreck, boundless and bare / The lone and level sands stretch far away?
STATUE OF OZYMANDIAS / OZYMANDIAS

QUESTION 8) Sirocco, samoon, haboob, foehn, and brickfielder all refer to different types of what?
WINDS

QUESTION 9) The agave plant is well adapted to living in the desert. Humans have adapted it to produce tequila and what other type of alcohol that often has a "worm" in the bottle?
MEZCAL

QUESTION 10) Before it was a desert, where specifically was this location?
THE ARAL SEA

QUESTION 11) What movie is the following song from? https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kHDrJ ... Z_Lplv3ClE
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA

QUESTION 12) When derived from Arabic, this three-letter word refers to a vast region of sand dunes. When that same word is derived from Greek, it refers to a unit of energy. What is that word?
ERG

So who won?

Bellaphant takes home the gold!

What about the bonus round?

Spoiler:
QUESTION 1) Can't decide on what cut of steak to order? You can always order what steak that consists of both a tenderloin steak and a porterhouse steak together?
T-BONE

QUESTION 2) What term was first coined by Richard Dawkins to refer to an idea that spreads through a culture, but now is almost universally used in a far, far, less scientific manner?
MEME

QUESTION 3) Who insulted Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto by standing on his cutting board in a victory pose before losing the match? This man would go on to win a rematch in Japan before becoming one of the first Iron Chefs on Iron Chef America.
BOBBY FLAY

QUESTION 4) The Tibetan Plateau, pictured below, is extremely arid due to moisture from the south being blocked by the Himalayas. What is the name for this effect?
RAIN SHADOW

QUESTION 5) Originally known as the Willys MB and used entirely for military purposes, what vehicle was redesigned for civilian use with a rear-mounted spare tire and a swinging tailgate?
JEEP

QUESTION 6) According to a poem, who built a stately pleasure-dome near the sacred river Alph?
KUBLA KHAN

QUESTION 7) What company manufactured the machine pictured below?
SINGER

QUESTION 8) Graph y = 2(x-5)^2 + 3. What curve have you made?
PARABOLA

QUESTION 9) The song linked below is officially named after the founder of what religion? https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CSrEb ... zV_5GWBXx0
ZOROASTRIANISM

QUESTION 10) Geocities has gone completely defunct, but its rival service Angelfire is still alive and kicking for some reason. Also still around is what OTHER giant of Web 1.0, which, like Angelfire, is owned by Lycos?
TRIPOD

QUESTION 11) The musical Hamilton features two speaking characters who have titles of nobility. One of those titles is "King". What is the other?
MARQUIS

QUESTION 12) What is the theme of this Bonus Round?
MAFIASCUM MODERATORS
(Just saying "MS Users" or "Scummers" wasn't enough, you had to specify that they were Skittles.)

Fun Fact: Bellaphant was the last person to take the quiz. Her answers cause a SLIGHT change in the value of some money questions that changed the results of the entire match.

Congrats xofelf on your razor-thin victory!

Once again, Week 3 is up HERE.

EDIT: Fixed a missing answer
Last edited by Haschel Cedricson on Tue May 08, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #80 (isolation #16) » Tue May 08, 2018 11:06 am

You scored 184. I have you on the Raw score sheet but apparently you didn't get copied over to the Money Adjusted score sheet for some reason.

Your answers were already factored in to the MONEY QUESTION values so nobody else's score changes.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #83 (isolation #17) » Tue May 08, 2018 11:42 am

The definition of what makes a "desert" is not related to temperature, but rather the annual amount of precipitation.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #87 (isolation #18) » Tue May 08, 2018 12:03 pm

Tundras have regular snowfall/precipitation. There are plenty of streams or ponds in tundras.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #96 (isolation #19) » Tue May 08, 2018 4:23 pm

Mmm, so you did. Got it on the raw sheet but not the adjusted. Doesn't affect standings, though.

Next week I shouldn't be at work when results are tabulated so there shouldn't be errors.
BYF wrote:Tripod may have very well medaled if he had placed money questions.
I asked him if he had forgotten to submit but he said he wasn't interested in winning.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #101 (isolation #20) » Wed May 09, 2018 5:46 am

In post 99, Randomnamechange wrote:did i not submit?
According to my spreadsheet it was submitted after the deadline.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #120 (isolation #21) » Tue May 15, 2018 8:20 am

Results are in! Last week we had our very first question with a 100% failure rate. This week we swung the opposite direction and had our first question with a 100% success rate. 11 of you made that a MONEY QUESTION, which unfortunately meant no bonus points there.

Spoiler: Anyway, on to the answers!
QUESTION 1) The prevailing"Gyroscope Theory" turned out to be inadequate, and the "Caster Theory" formulated to replace it ended up having problems too. It turns out scientists actually have no idea how what vehicle works?
BICYCLE

QUESTION 2) In 1975 a man disappeared. His body was never found, although rumors placed his corpse in the Everglades, the Detroit suburbs, under the end zone of Giants Stadium, and cremated into ash that was mixed in with recycled metal, used in cars and exported to Japan. Who was this man?
JIMMY HOFFA

QUESTION 3) How long is the coast of Britain? No one knows; it turns out that more precisely you measure the closer you get to infinity. This is because all coastlines have properties of what mathematical objects with self-similar natures?
FRACTALS

QUESTION 4) It's written down on a paper locked in a vault in Atlanta. Only two people on earth are allowed to know it, and they aren't allowed to travel together. We know caramel coloring, phosphoric acid, sugar, and caffeine are involved, but that's about it. What is it?
THE FORMULA FOR COCA-COLA

QUESTION 5) What is this?
THE VOYNICH MANUSCRIPT

QUESTION 6) Despite being well-verified, scientists have no idea how or why the placebo effect exists. What is the name of an experiment where neither the subjects nor the researchers are aware of who is taking a placebo?
DOUBLE-BLIND

QUESTION 7) Nobody certainly knew how to blind his captor. Nobody's captor cried out "Friends, Nobody is murdering me by craft. Force there is none." None of his friends came to his rescue, replying "If nobody harms you when you are left alone, illness which comes from mighty Zeus you cannot fly. But make your prayer to your father, lord Poseidon". Who was Nobody?
ODYSSEUS (or Ulysses, if you are Shadoweh and want to showboat)

QUESTION 8) Debris from a missing airliner washed up on the shores of Réunion and Mozambique in 2015. By analyzing currents and drift patterns, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Organization was able to pinpoint the likely location where the airplane disappeared. Nevertheless, the main body of the plane is still unaccounted for. What company operated the missing flight, which is now known as "one of the biggest mysteries in modern aviation history"?
Malaysia Airlines

QUESTION 9) Planes and ships disappear on the other side of the globe too. The Bermuda Triangle has, unsurprisingly, a vertex on the island of Bermuda. Name the other two vertices.
Miami, Florida and San Juan, Puerto Rico

QUESTION 10) Everyone knows the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Except we actually don't know if there were six or seven. What is the only one of the Seven Wonders with no consensus for either its exact location, or whether or not it even existed at all?
The Hanging Gardens of Babylon

QUESTION 11) What name has been redacted from the poster below?
Dan or D.B. Cooper

QUESTION 12) The USGS topographic map shows nothing but an abandoned silver mine. Aircraft aren't allowed nearby. Astronauts on Skylab accidentally took a picture in 1974, despite it being the single location on earth the government asked them to not photograph, and the picture was destroyed. Officially known as Groom Lake and not acknowledged by the government until 2005, what is the more common name for this facility with a purpose that is completely unknown to the public?
AREA 51

So who won?

Poor xofelf was in 4th place before two people submitted this morning and both lowered the value of the Voynich MONEY QUESTION. Congrats to TanisNikana on her first gold trophy!

By popular demand, Week 4 is dedicated to Monty Questions! Next week, by popular demand I hope you are all ready from Eurovision!

Deadline is next Tuesday, noon PDT.
Last edited by Haschel Cedricson on Tue May 15, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #124 (isolation #22) » Tue May 15, 2018 8:30 am

Seems like you did.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #151 (isolation #23) » Tue May 22, 2018 5:05 am

You all still have three hours to finish. However, I was on a business trip in California all last week and Round 5 is not quite ready yet. I'll get it done as soon as I can, but I'm sure you can understand with a category like "Eurovision" I have a lot of audio to track down. ;-)

Thank you for your patience.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #154 (isolation #24) » Tue May 22, 2018 11:07 am

It's Answer Time! Also, wow I did not expect the sports question to be as hard as it apparently was.

Spoiler:
QUESTION 1) He was born in Aberdeen, Scotland in 2222, assigned to his most famous post in 2265, promoted to captain in 2285, invented transparent aluminum in 1986, retired in 2294, and was rescued from a Dyson sphere in 2369. Who was this engineer?
MONTGOMERY "SCOTTY" SCOTT

QUESTION 2) Monty Hall offered contestants a choice of three doors, one of which had a big prize behind it. One of the doors the contestant didn't choose would be revealed to have a bad prize behind it, and the contestant had the option to stay with their first choice or switch to the last remaining door. Although logic suggests it's a 50% chance either way, the "Monty Hall Problem" states that the contestant has a 66% chance of winning if they switch. That knowledge was useful to contestants on WHAT game show?
LET'S MAKE A DEAL

QUESTION 3) The city of Montgomery, Alabama recently unveiled a museum and memorial dedicated to the victims of what crime?
LYNCHING

QUESTION 4) British Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery had a rivalry with American General George S. Patton. The two of them famously "raced" to conquer Axis territory, resulting in a win for Patton when Montgomery led his troops into Messina only to find the Americans were already there. On which island did this take place?
SICILY

QUESTION 5) Speaking of Field Marshal Montgomery, he managed to lend his nickname to a variation of a drink. A "Montgomery Cocktail" consists of 15 parts gin to 1 part vermouth. This is significantly larger than the 2:1 ratio used in the traditional preparation of what drink?
MARTINI

QUESTION 6) The Count of Monte Cristo is a classic tale of revenge and adventure. The Man in the Iron Mask is a story of a secret royal twin. The Three Musketeers tells of four swashbuckling heroes. Identify the author of all three of these stories.
ALEXANDRE DUMAS

QUESTION 7) And now for something completely different. Monty Python's Flying Circus was a British sketch comedy show, but the music played over the opening credits was written by an American. Name that composer AND the name of the piece:
JOHN PHILIP SOUSA, LIBERTY BELL MARCH

QUESTION 8) What is the FULL NAME of the owner of Springfield's nuclear power plant on The Simpsons?
CHARLES MONTGOMERY BURNS
I also accepted
CANARY M BURNS
because it is both technically correct and made me laugh so hard when I saw somebody answered it.

QUESTION 9) Mafiascum's very own Monty PrivateI mentions in his GTKAS thread that he is a big fan of djembes. What is a djembe?
A DRUM

QUESTION 10) Name the very FIRST video game in which the character pictured below first appeared. SPECIFIC TITLE OF GAME IS NEEDED.
SUPER MARIO WORLD

QUESTION 11) Montezuma II ruled the Aztec Empire at its largest size. He also ruled over the start of its rapid decline after being taken prisoner by what European explorer?
HERNAN CORTES

QUESTION 12) From 2010 to 2015 the head coach of the NBA team in New Orleans was Monty Williams. Identify BOTH names that the team went by under his tenure.
NEW ORLEANS HORNETS, NEW ORLEANS PELICANS

So who won?

Congrats to brassherald on his first gold trophy! Nexus and Xofelf add to their collections as well.

As promised, here's Eurovision!

Next week by popular demand, we will be doing Video Games!
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #171 (isolation #25) » Tue May 29, 2018 5:25 pm

Alright, let's do this! How did you all do at Eurovision?
Spoiler: Answers!
QUESTION 1) What are they doing?
KISSING THE BLARNEY STONE

QUESTION 2) What country is this woman originally from?
SLOVENIA

QUESTION 3) Where specifically is the right half of this image?
EAST BERLIN

QUESTION 4) What happened here?
CHERNOBYL NUCLEAR MELTDOWN

QUESTION 5) What has been redacted from this image?
THE MONA LISA

QUESTION 6) What city is this?
COPENHAGEN

QUESTION 7) What event is this?
MONACO GRAND PRIX

QUESTION 8) What company made all of these?
NOKIA

QUESTION 9: What train station is this?
KING'S CROSS

QUESTION 10) What is the literal English translation of the name of this building?
HOLY WISDOM

QUESTION 11) What country is this museum in?
BELGIUM

QUESTION 12) Okay fine, one actual Eurovision question. Where is this epic sax guy from?
MOLDOVA

So who won?

Nexus was the only player to get all twelve correct, but Xof does a better job of choosing MONEY QUESTIONs and sneaks ahead for the gold. Meanwhile BROseidon picks up the bronze.

The category for Week 6 is Video Games!. Next week I hope you are all ready for a Disco Inferno.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #187 (isolation #26) » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:45 am

Sorry, between my birthday yesterday and my daughter's last day of preschool today I've been preoccupied. I'll get those up this evening.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #190 (isolation #27) » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:27 pm

Alright, still need to finish this week's questions but I do have some answers for you all.

Spoiler: Here are the answers!
QUESTION 1: The Grand Theft Auto series is no stranger to controversy, but one of the biggest scandals occured in GTA: San Andreas when gamers discovered a mod that unlocked a minigame featuring the main character having sex. What was the name given to this mod?
HOT COFFEE

QUESTION 2: The Nintendo 64 had an optional memory expansion. This was necessary to access some modes in some games, such as the single player mode of Perfect Dark. Only two games REQUIRED the Expansion Pack to work at all in any capacity. Name either one.
DONKEY KONG 64 and LEGEND OF ZELDA: MAJORA'S MASK

QUESTION 3: The US Air Force made headlines in 2010 for purchasing a whopping 1,760 Playstation 3 consoles. Despite initially looking like a waste of taxpayer money, the Air Force actually used them for what purpose?
CREATING A SUPERCOMPUTER

QUESTION 4: Sega does what Nintendon't, according to the slogan. What game was released for both the Sega Genesis and the SNES, but only featured a secret code unlocking blood on the former?
MORTAL KOMBAT

QUESTION 5: Officially announced in 1997, several changes to the engine delayed development. In 2001, GameStop made pre-orders available. Eventually, in 2011 people who saved their receipt for a decade were finally "rewarded" with what game that critics almost universally thought would have been better as vaporware?
DUKE NUKEM FOREVER

QUESTION 6) Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, Dungeons of Dredmor, and Shiren the Wanderer all belong to a genre that is named after a specific game released in 1980. Name that game, which featured randomly-generated levels and permanent death.
ROGUE

QUESTION 7) To promote the release of Halo 3, Microsoft teamed up with Pepsi to create a special flavor of Mountain Dew. It would later be brought back to advertise World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, and other assorted video games. Name this varient of Mountain AND the fruit that the flavor is modeled after.
GAME FUEL, CHERRY CITRUS

QUESTION 8) "We have numbers, let's go!" "I'm on soldier, I'm on soldier!" "Are they right or left?" "Clear left!" "Inside! Saloon! Saloon!" "Monkey monkey monkey! I'm dead." This conversation was yelled over headsets by the members of the Los Angeles Valiant, an e-sports team that plays what video game professionally?
OVERWATCH

QUESTION 9) The four ghosts who chase Pac-Man are named Inky, Blinky, Pinky, and what?
CLYDE
Sue was from Ms. Pac-Man.

QUESTION 10) The most-downloaded free game from the App Store was suddenly made unavailable when the creator announced that he was removing it from the App Store and Google Play. Rumors said this was due to a legal threat from Nintendo, but the creator explained that he was merely concerned that the game was "too addictive". A revised version was released, but only for the Amazon Fire TV. What game was this?
FLAPPY BIRD

QUESTION 11) Guile is one of the more iconic characters from the Street Fighter series. He is an All-American soldier in the US Air Force, which made it all the more bizarre when he was portrayed by what decidedly NOT American martial artist in the Street Fighter movie?
JEAN CLAUDE VAN DAMME

QUESTION 12) Wah! Everybody loves Waluigi! But his introduction was a little unusual; he was just dropped into a video game with little-to-no explanation of who he was. What game featured Waluigi's first appearance, as well as Donkey Kong Jr.'s final playable appearance?
MARIO TENNIS

Errantparabola takes home the top prize by just a few points. Nexus's impressive 12-pack gets him another silver trophy. Xofelf completes the Skittle Sweep with a bronze.

Next questions will go up as soon as they are written.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #198 (isolation #28) » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:45 pm

Alright, Week 7's theme is "Disco Inferno"!

None of the suggestions in the pile are speaking to me at the moment, but I do have an idea for a Mystery Theme, so next week will be Mystery Theme 2!
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #200 (isolation #29) » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:27 pm

Deadline for scores was noon yesterday.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #208 (isolation #30) » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, I have a confession to make. While writing the quiz for Week 8, I accidentally forgot to make a copy of the Week 7 form before I overwrote all the questions. So I don't have the full questions to copy-paste. Sorry about that.
Spoiler: Answers the best I can
The Queen of Disco was
DONNA SUMMER
The MLS team and the NBC show are named after the
GREAT CHICAGO FIRE
The two Towering Inferno stars were
STEVE MCQUEEN and PAUL NEWMAN
Good Times was heavily sampled to create
RAPPER'S DELIGHT
The Iron Chef Japan theme was the song from the movie
BACKDRAFT
The literary sidekick and tour guide was
VIRGIL
The disco song that won the Grammys in 2013 was
GET LUCKY

The fire triangle is made up of
FUEL, HEAT, AND OXYGEN
The first Dan Brown novel was
ANGELS AND DEMONS
I also accepted THE BERNINI MYSTERY
The sixth Village Person was a
COWBOY
The Arab Spring started in
TUNISIA
The amusement park ride was on
CONEY ISLAND

So who won?

Empire picks up his second gold trophy! Xof's silver officially gives her one of each color, and brassherald picks up his first bronze.

It's officially time for Week 8! This time we have Another Mystery Theme!

Next week courtesy of Xof we will be studying Mythical Beasts and Where To Find Them.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #215 (isolation #31) » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:29 am

In post 212, brassherald wrote:Did I put Diane Ross as Number 1 or just say Donna Summers because I got the name wrong? I legitimately was pretty sure on that one.
You said Diane Ross.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #222 (isolation #32) » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:10 am

The solution is clearly to play more LSGs until you know everyone really well.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #227 (isolation #33) » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:16 pm

It's answer time!

Spoiler: What were the answers?
QUESTION 1: Professional sports teams moving to another city is a relatively rare occurrence, but after almost two decades of no moves the NFL has seen two franchises move in the last two years and will see a third go to Las Vegas as soon as a stadium is built. The Oakland Raiders are going to Vegas, the San Diego Chargers headed north to Los Angeles, and the third team is what prodigal team that returned to its previous city after leaving in 1995?
ST LOUIS/LOS ANGELES RAMS

QUESTION 2: A Minnesota dentist named Walter Palmer made headlines and sparked outrage in 2015 when it was revealed he had shot and killed what animal while on vacation?
CECIL THE LION

QUESTION 3: The CW has had several superhero-themed TV shows. In addition to Superman, The Flash, and Supergirl, the CW also has a show about Oliver Queen, better known to the citizens of Star City as whom?
GREEN ARROW

QUESTION 4: Like The Rock before him, professional wrestler John Cena is starting to transition to Hollywood. His recent films include Blockers, Trainwreck, and an animated cartoon where he voices the lead character. Name that movie or the children's book by Munro Leaf that it is based on.
FERDINAND/THE STORY OF FERDINAND

QUESTION 5: The most famous privateer in history, Sir Francis Drake, was basically a legally-sanctioned pirate. His letter of marque was given to him by what monarch who created this "supplemental Navy" of privateers that would later prove invaluable in defending against the Spanish Armada?
QUEEN ELIZABETH I

QUESTION 6) Although the term "Internet troll" was originally a reference to a method of fishing, it can be argued that the term stayed popular due to its double meaning referencing a creature who lives under a bridge in what classic fairy tale?
THE THREE BILLY GOATS GRUFF

QUESTION 7) She got her start acting at 9 months old. She would go on to star in many TV movies, children's musical mystery videos, and a feature film in which Dr. Drew Pinsky played her father. In 2012 she announced she was retiring from acting to focus on her fashion career. Name either of the women I could be referring to.
MARY-KATE AND ASHLEY OLSEN

QUESTION 8) In the world of model trains, G, O, S, HO, TT, and N all refer to different types of what?
SCALES/GAUGES

QUESTION 9) The Owens Valley sits 200 miles away from Los Angeles, California. Nevertheless, residents in the Valley have a long history of suing the city, largely in response to ecological damage caused by the construction of what?
AQUEDUCT

QUESTION 10) Alan Rickman, Patrick Swayze, and Steve Jobs all died of what SPECIFIC disease?
PANCREATIC CANCER

QUESTION 11) Most people think about spiders when they hear the word "arachnid", but the class Arachnida also includes mites, ticks, and what other venomous animals?
SCORPIONS

QUESTION 12) All players are dealt a hand of cards. Player 1 asks Player 2 if she has any jacks. If she does, she gives them all to Player 1. If she does not, Player 1 draws a card from the deck. What game are they playing?
GO FISH

BONUS QUESTION! What is the Mystery Theme?
THE ZODIAC

Here are the results!

Nexus finally makes it over the hurdle and picks up his first gold! TanisNikana's silver now gives her one of each trophy, and Pine makes his first appearance on the Trophy Board by barely eking out the bronze.

This week the category is Mythical Beasts And Where To Find Them! Next week VashtaNeurotic has asked me to promote his LSG Reverse the Curse, so get ready for some Curse-ive!
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #246 (isolation #34) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:46 am

Yes I'm fine. I will try to have the quiz and results up later today.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #250 (isolation #35) » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:35 pm

Tanis is one of my closest friends from high school and has earned the privilege to harass me whenever she wants. ;-)

I have the answers for last week!

Spoiler: Answers
QUESTION 1: My Little Pony: The Movie features the Mane Six asking the Queen of the Hippogriffs for help to save Equestria, but the Queen has transformed her subjects into aquatic creatures for their protection. Using your brain, identify the mythical creature these ocean-dwelling equines SHOULD have been called.
HIPPOCAMPUS

QUESTION 2: You can find these creatures in the ocean wh... FALSE ALARM! Sorry, I thought I had a question about mermaids, but like sailors of old it turns out that what I thought were mermaids were actually these not-at-all-fictitious animals.
MANATEES

QUESTION 3: A graphic, a soda, and a fey creature. What word can describe all three?
SPRITE

QUESTION 4: The Pegasus here can be found at the beginning of films made by what film studio?
TRISTAR

QUESTION 5: They say the Great Lakes were constructed so he'd have a trough to drink from. The 10,000 Lakes of Minnesota were formed from his footprints. He was so big that 42 axe handles plus a plug of tobacco could fit between his eyes and it took a murder of crows a whole day to fly from one horn to the other. Who was this creature?
BABE THE BIG BLUE OX

QUESTION 6) You can choose Slalom, Freestyle, or Tree Slalom. It doesn't matter in the end, though; all three choices eventually see you get eaten by a Yeti. What computer game is this?
SKI FREE

QUESTION 7) In the original story of Aladdin, the genie was found in what modern-day country?
CHINA

QUESTION 8) Silicon Valley is full of privately-owned startup companies that are valued at over $1 billion. Because it's extremely rare for these companies to end up successful, investors refer to them as what mythological creatures?
UNICORN

QUESTION 9) One of the beasts in J.K. Rowling's Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them is the niffler, a burrowing animal that looks like a cross between a mole and what other bizarre mammal that itself looks like a cross between several other animals, one of which isn't a mammal at all?
PLATYPUS

QUESTION 10) The Valley of the Sun isn't home to any fantastic creatures, but its largest city is named after one, and an appropriate one too. Name this city that started as an agricultural community and was reborn into a hub of business and tourism.
PHOENIX

QUESTION 11) The Greek mythological version had healing powers that made it a tough battle for Hercules. The real-life version is tiny, related to jellyfish, and may actually be immortal. What name do these creatures share?
HYDRA

QUESTION 12) "Here there be dragons" is a phrase associated with the tendency for medieval cartographers to draw monsters on parts of the map that had not been explored. What Latin name was given to these regions?
TERRA INCOGNITA

Xof picks up another gold trophy, while Pine improves on his first bronze last week by picking up his first silver. Faraday rounds out the winners and adds his new face to the leaderboard by earning bronze. Also, shame on anybody who played or specced in Survivor: Civilization who got Question 12 wrong.

I don't have a quiz ready yet; I've really been hit with writers block. Let's look to get this train rerailed on our traditional Tuesday. Sorry about this, everyone.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #253 (isolation #36) » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:19 pm

You said "Hippogriffs".
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #267 (isolation #37) » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:38 am

I have a bunch of half-finished quizzes. I think I'm going to take a hiatus, try and build up a backlog of quizzes, and then we'll start again.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”