The 2018 Scummies Community Poll

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #17 (isolation #0) » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:00 am

Post by zoraster »

Discussion thread scraping would be nice as engagement with the scummies is increased. It was a pain to do manually, but mostly it was that no matter who we brought in, the scummies thread eventually grew out of date -- often by months. An automatic scraper and poster would make that problem go away.

The biggest thing that the nomination form does outside keeping the nominations up to date in real time is that it makes sure that information that helps judges a lot is provided. The nominations with links to the game, descriptions for why, etc. are all provided in an easy to read way for judges. And at least when I did my judging, I use the nominations as my starting point. In the past, people would nominate games without links to the game, without describing why they are nominating, etc. If we can figure out a way to make sure that people still provide this information and the scraper picks up on it, all the better.

I certainly didn't create my form and the accompanying byzantine spreadsheet because it's the theoretical best way to go about it.

Return to “News”