Planned Changes: Newbie Game Deadlines

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Planned Changes: Newbie Game Deadlines

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:21 am

Post by PenguinPower »

For the past three months, we have been soliciting feedback from Newbies at the conclusion of their games specifically focusing on their overall experience, IC/Mod quality, speed to start, and length of deadlines. Based on the feedback received so far (including some anecdotal rationale from Newbies who replaced out prior to the conclusion of their game), and after discussion with the Admin team during our quarterly staff meeting, I am planning to reduce the day phase for Newbie games from
14 days
to
7 days
. Night length will remain the same at 48 hours.

This thread is an opportunity for the everyone to publicly comment on the planned changes. Please keep all feedback constructive and on topic. If you just want to gripe about something related to the Newbie Queue, feel free to shoot me a PM directly.
<(") | (")>
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng

Post Post #36 (isolation #1) » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:03 am

Post by PenguinPower »

In post 35, Ircher wrote:That said, do you have any issues/concerns with having a 10 day D1 deadline and 7 days for the rest of the days? It seems to address some of the concerns that both sides are putting up.
This is the deadline that I am currently in favor of.
<(") | (")>
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng

Post Post #75 (isolation #2) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:50 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

In post 74, nancy wrote:Am assuming you would change prod ranges and such. I can foresee a potential problem getting replacements in time but hopefully that won't happen too much. Maybe it would be a good time to implement some other things to punish people for replacing out, but I don't know how that's possible since it's only 1 queue.
Correct assumption. Happy to hear your ideas on what that should be, and also from you/mhsmith0/anoyone else on appropriate action for replace outs.
<(") | (")>
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng

Post Post #80 (isolation #3) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:24 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

In post 76, Ircher wrote:As far as replacing out goes, we already have the rule that first-time newbies that replace-out can't join a new game (does it apply only to games in the newbie queue?) What other kind of punishment are we really looking at implementing? I mean, I don't think most people are really abusing the system/replacing out too much? (Listmods have taken action when that has been an issue for some players.)
I'm not really looking to be punitive to replace outs. The SE/IC queue is dry enough as is unless I put up the signal (aside: I do find it awesome that we have a player base that will step up quickly when that happens). That said, I am always open to feedback/thoughts/ideas if it will improve the queue and the site. That includes things that may sway me from my current opinion.
<(") | (")>
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng

Post Post #83 (isolation #4) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:13 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

Given recent discussion/threads, I'm just going to put this back out again. There is a group that was/is focused on improving the Newbie Queue overall. I'm resetting the group as of tonight. The group's current functions are focused around general Queue improvement, Newbie survey data and IC ratings, and potential IC guideline modifications.

If anyone is interesting in joining the group, please shoot me a PM with answers to the following:

What experience do you have playing Newbie games?
What makes a good IC? Are they necessary?
What changes would you make to the current IC/SE/Newbie structure?
What areas for improvement do you see with the Newbie Queue in general?
<(") | (")>
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng

Post Post #93 (isolation #5) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:12 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

In post 89, OkaPoka wrote:When do these changes go live?
Still listening to feedback, but the plan is with the next game.
<(") | (")>
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng

Post Post #160 (isolation #6) » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:34 pm

Post by PenguinPower »

In post 159, Dunnstral wrote:The math is sound in theory but where it fails is that it replaces out newbies who would otherwise enjoy 48 hour prod timers, while the whole idea was player retention, I think?
Given that this change was spurred by survey and anecdotal feedback, can I ask where you are getting your feedback for opposition?

This is not a hard set change, but something that is being done based on the playerbase. I am always open to change for the better. I prefer for it to have some data behind it.
<(") | (")>
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng

Post Post #163 (isolation #7) » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:06 am

Post by PenguinPower »

Newer players are surveyed after every completed Newbie game, as stated in my original post. For the question, "how satisfied were you with the length of day phases" the average rating (from 1-5) is currently 2.4 from 39 ratings; median is 2 (14 out of 39). For comparison, the next lowest average rating is "How satisfied were you with your game IC" with a rating of 3.6.

In addition, I have received several PMs from Newbies supporting the changes, but they don't want to post here as they don't want to get caught up in the debate.
<(") | (")>
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng

Post Post #165 (isolation #8) » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:42 am

Post by PenguinPower »

I need to do a better job screening the newbies...
<(") | (")>

Return to “Mafia Discussion”