[SETUP] Hollywood Mafia

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #31 (isolation #0) » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:37 am

Post by mith »

My suspicion is games like this (I call them "Census" or "Neighborhood" games, since the population of the game is split between two neighborhoods with known Mafia/Town counts) should just start with massclaim.
The strategy
at that point
is simple (in the original suggestion, with no abilities and fixed counts; might be different for variable counts):

1. Town should lynch from whichever group has a higher ratio of Mafia.
2. Mafia should kill from whichever group has a lower ratio of Mafia.

I ran numbers on these at some point but I don't know what I did with them. Something to add to my scripts.

Mostly it would play like a Vanilla game, just with a restricted pool of lynch targets at any given time (and switching between the two groups as Mafia are lynched).
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #33 (isolation #1) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:48 am

Post by mith »

Sorry, I was talking about a more general version of the setup (where the number of town celebrities is known but not confirmed). Misread the OP (but it doesn't matter - they work out to be the same game).

(IMO, the general version is very slightly more interesting, in that Mafia have a choice of who is pretending to be a celeb - but less thematic for Hollywood, obviously.)

The important thing (for EV calculation) is getting the lynch/kill strategy right. (From that point of view, the concern about a lucky D1 lynch is somewhat unfounded - it isn't optimal for town to lynch from the Celebs, so they should have the lucky lynch of hitting the Mafia Celeb D1.)

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”