Long term health of mafiascum

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
davesaz
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: August 25, 2014
Location: Class of 93
Pronoun: He

Post Post #975  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:12 am

The (downtime??) is a discontinuity. Easier to eyeball starting after that point.
Old eyes followed the wrong horizontal line. :oops:

mastina
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: October 08, 2016
Location: Between Snohomish and Monroe, WA
Pronoun: She

Post Post #976  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:07 am

In post 969, chamber wrote:Is that a serious question? We lose like 100 users month to month because of turn over (some of whom come back later). How many banned users are there? Less than 10?
We also lose a fair number of users not because they're banned, but because they leave as a consequence from the fallout of a different user's ban.

T-Bone
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: February 18, 2011
Location: Shrug City
Pronoun: He

Post Post #977  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:47 am

Because the users who are banned are the type of people we want in our community? Like, I'm okay if people who hold white supremacist views feel unwelcome here. I'm okay if people who hold some very hateful views of LGBT+ feel unwelcome here. I'm okay if that locks out potential newbies as a result. That's fine, they can go somewhere else.
#TeamLizzy (or I will ban you)

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019

Nancy Drew 39
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: January 14, 2018
Location: True DREW
Pronoun: She

Post Post #978  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:43 am

I find the lack of a fully automated vote count to be extremely frustrating, especially when being mistaken about the vc, can adversely affect my game. This is especially frustrating it the mod isn’t diligent enough about it.

Thing with Nancy is we just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it.

(I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~ the worst

davesaz
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: August 25, 2014
Location: Class of 93
Pronoun: He

Post Post #979  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:53 am

Technology wise the best way toward an automated VC would be the ability to vote from a pick list. That might help with mobile as well. I don't personally know how to do it.
The reason this is important is that fully auto VC depends on 100% accuracy in player names/nicknames/abbreviations. A pick list would guarantee that accuracy.
If we settle for mostly automated, there is a very promising project underway.

BlackStar
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: November 08, 2015
Location: Impel Down
Pronoun: He

Post Post #980  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:22 am

In post 976, mastina wrote:
In post 969, chamber wrote:Is that a serious question? We lose like 100 users month to month because of turn over (some of whom come back later). How many banned users are there? Less than 10?
We also lose a fair number of users not because they're banned, but because they leave as a consequence from the fallout of a different user's ban.

Does that really happen often?

Psyche
mr. personality
 
User avatar
Joined: April 28, 2011
Location: pacing the road to damascus
Pronoun: He

Post Post #981  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:08 pm

fully auto vc is already implemented
maybe it needs to be translated into a different language or integrated with a friendly interface, but it's done and has near-perfect accuracy
it's a very good string-to-username matcher in general actually
i know all the words to this song

RadiantCowbells
Smooth Criminal
 
User avatar
Joined: February 24, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #982  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:10 pm

This site was ruined when drshottymyzik was banned
If you're Macho and someone tries to rolestop you, you never realise you're being targeted for a kill, so your machismo never gets challenged

Maruchan
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: July 06, 2011
Location: Norfolk, VA

Post Post #983  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:15 pm

i thought it was drmyshottyizsik?
Show

davesaz
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: August 25, 2014
Location: Class of 93
Pronoun: He

Post Post #984  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:58 pm

I regret mentioning that word.

@Psyche - we can probably settle for near-perfect. Did you get access to the coding place? We can take the discussion on details over there so this thread doesn't get overwhelmed with the tech talk.

What do you all think about a more automated sign-ups page that summarizes all the games in signups regardless of queue, and lets people in/out with clicks? Would that help with accessibility? Even if the page just consolidates the info from the signup threads without the click to sign up I think it might be helpful. I remember the hardest thing for me was figuring out where to go to get in a game *now*.

T-Bone
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: February 18, 2011
Location: Shrug City
Pronoun: He

Post Post #985  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:04 pm

If you have the ability...talk to Kison. He isn't going to say no to coding help.
#TeamLizzy (or I will ban you)

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019

BROseidon
Expert Marxman
 
User avatar
Joined: April 18, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #986  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:35 pm

Anything that frees Kison to come out drinking more is a good thing in my book

mastina
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: October 08, 2016
Location: Between Snohomish and Monroe, WA
Pronoun: She

Post Post #987  (ISO)  » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:54 am

In post 977, T-Bone wrote:Because the users who are banned are the type of people we want in our community? Like, I'm okay if people who hold white supremacist views feel unwelcome here. I'm okay if people who hold some very hateful views of LGBT+ feel unwelcome here. I'm okay if that locks out potential newbies as a result. That's fine, they can go somewhere else.
So am I. However, there are individuals who leave the site not as a direct result of those people being banned, but rather, the community response to those people being banned.

Some people who hold close ties to the banned users are disgusted by the hate and leave; some people who were disgusted by the user are appalled at the people who defend said user and leave as a result. Usually, it's one or the other, but for some controversial bans it can actually cause both to happen, where both sides leave the site because of the other, if that makes sense.

mastina
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: October 08, 2016
Location: Between Snohomish and Monroe, WA
Pronoun: She

Post Post #988  (ISO)  » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:58 am

In post 980, BlackStar wrote:
In post 976, mastina wrote:
In post 969, chamber wrote:Is that a serious question? We lose like 100 users month to month because of turn over (some of whom come back later). How many banned users are there? Less than 10?
We also lose a fair number of users not because they're banned, but because they leave as a consequence from the fallout of a different user's ban.
Does that really happen often?
It doesn't happen with every ban, but it happens BIG TIME on the bans it does happen for.

Think Nobody Special's ban, for instance. That's more or less the kind of incident I am referring to. There was significant fallout from that ban.

Generally (though not always), the more widely known and prominent the user banned combined with how severe the ban is, the more likely there is to be fallout from the ban that causes users to leave the site.

Nexus
miss
 
User avatar
Joined: July 02, 2010
Location: Greatness
Pronoun: He

Post Post #989  (ISO)  » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:49 am

If someone has been banned for being detrimental to the site and people want to rage quit because of it, then it’s probably no great loss. We all know there’s a new place where they all congregation, and if you don’t, check out the advertising in the discord.
Shitlord.

Nexus
miss
 
User avatar
Joined: July 02, 2010
Location: Greatness
Pronoun: He

Post Post #990  (ISO)  » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:15 am

It’s not like we just randomly decide bans yo
Shitlord.

Maruchan
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: July 06, 2011
Location: Norfolk, VA

Post Post #991  (ISO)  » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:56 am

In post 989, Nexus wrote:If someone has been banned for being detrimental to the site and people want to rage quit because of it, then it’s probably no great loss. We all know there’s a new place where they all congregation, and if you don’t, check out the advertising in the discord.

people keep mentioning all these other sites poaching from us and whatever, and I keep not seeing or hearing anything remotely to do with other sites.

im confused
Show

chamber
Cases are scummy
 
User avatar
Joined: November 20, 2005
Pronoun: He

Post Post #992  (ISO)  » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:04 am

It's against the rules to explicitly advertise on MS. Other mafia sites exist. I'm not sure they are really poaching.
Taking a break from the site.

Maruchan
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: July 06, 2011
Location: Norfolk, VA

Post Post #993  (ISO)  » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:14 am

yeah I knew that but that's like the third reference I've seen in the past week to people saying that there is advertising going on, and I have not seen any advertising for other sites in my entire time on MS.
Show

xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
 
User avatar
Joined: March 15, 2009
Location: Bull City
Pronoun: He

Post Post #994  (ISO)  » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:07 pm

In post 992, chamber wrote:It's against the rules to explicitly advertise on MS. Other mafia sites exist. I'm not sure they are really poaching.

Some are

Others are perfectly fine neighbors and coexist peacefully
get to know a reckoner

#EmeraldProud

Garmr
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: August 23, 2013
Location: The Ban Thread
Pronoun: He

Post Post #995  (ISO)  » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:06 am

In post 989, Nexus wrote:If someone has been banned for being detrimental to the site and people want to rage quit because of it, then it’s probably no great loss. We all know there’s a new place where they all congregation, and if you don’t, check out the advertising in the discord.

If you want to know some new peoples views I had a new user Email me asking me about my thoughts on the forum and its inhabitants. May as well quote this one little bit since I don't want to be one of those guys that post personal discords convos but I'll post my response.

Deleted User a - 05/29/2018
sup
As I've been asking: Thoughts on MS and it's inhabitants? What about the administration?

Garmr - 05/29/2018
I think they are really biased tbh
but most of them are decent people

Deleted User a - 05/29/2018
I can agree with that


Well to cut the story short we ended up agreeing that mafia scum admins tend to be biased against certain political views and they will treat people with those views differently sometimes unjustly. One sentence being used commonly is not free speech friendly. Also the high amount of people getting banned for "inappropriate behaviour around underage children" in the ban thread was a worry and the person wanted to know if it's a higher risk on this site. Also how it seems to occur more often on extreme left leaning sites.


If you want more people coming in through I would suggest facebook ads or an ad on youtube video or get a youtube personality to play a game of mafia in a fun way. Also try to fix the perceptions of this site somehow.

chamber
Cases are scummy
 
User avatar
Joined: November 20, 2005
Pronoun: He

Post Post #996  (ISO)  » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:34 am

In post 995, Garmr wrote:. Also how it seems to occur more often on extreme left leaning sites.


And you claim we are biased.
Taking a break from the site.

Nancy Drew 39
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: January 14, 2018
Location: True DREW
Pronoun: She

Post Post #997  (ISO)  » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:47 am

I would suggest having 1 week days. Many people don’t have the motivation/attention span to want to play for 2 week days. On MU, people even bitch anout 72 hr days (my personal favourite).

I also would prefer 24 -36 hr nights to 48.

72 hr days/24 hr nights would be ideal IMO but at the very least no longer than 1 week.

Thing with Nancy is we just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it.

(I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~ the worst

chamber
Cases are scummy
 
User avatar
Joined: November 20, 2005
Pronoun: He

Post Post #998  (ISO)  » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:27 am

In post 997, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:I would suggest having 1 week days. Many people don’t have the motivation/attention span to want to play for 2 week days. On MU, people even bitch anout 72 hr days (my personal favourite).

I also would prefer 24 -36 hr nights to 48.

72 hr days/24 hr nights would be ideal IMO but at the very least no longer than 1 week.


Mods can put whatever deadline they want on a game. Just uniformly enforcing a 1 week Day would completely alienate a lot of our existing users and can't be the answer. There are logistical questions of how to inspire mods to run a higher variety of phase lengths, as well as how to manage users accessing that increase variety.
Taking a break from the site.

Garmr
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: August 23, 2013
Location: The Ban Thread
Pronoun: He

Post Post #999  (ISO)  » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:38 am

In post 996, chamber wrote:
In post 995, Garmr wrote:. Also how it seems to occur more often on extreme left leaning sites.


And you claim we are biased.

wasn't me who said that was the other person.

Edit:But if ignore the quoted you highlighted. That was public perception of someone who skimmed the forums.

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to Mafia Discussion