Song Contest 119 (Entries up, votes due 7/1!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
notachipmunk
notachipmunk
she
Goon
notachipmunk
she
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: she

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:11 am

Post by notachipmunk »

Oops, first time I've forgotten to submit something!
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:02 am

Post by Aristophanes »

bowie hasn't won anything?
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:29 am

Post by PJ. »

Bowie and Miles Davis are part of that unspoken "this band is far too famous to be in this so we're gonna vote it down" tier of music, so that's why they haven'y won/been in
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:40 am

Post by Vijarada »

i mean lorde johnny cash hozier and vance joy have all done well.
get a warrant
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:13 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 27, PJ. wrote:Bowie and Miles Davis are part of that unspoken "this band is far too famous to be in this so we're gonna vote it down" tier of music, so that's why they haven'y won/been in
pretty much lmao that's why I only entered him last minute because I couldn't think of anything else
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:15 pm

Post by Parama »

dance gavin dance is a band i probably should like since i kinda like eidola but on the flipside if i wanted to listen to them i'd just listen to eidola taking their sound and going to more interesting places with it
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 28, Vijarada wrote:i mean lorde johnny cash hozier and vance joy have all done well.
I don't know who 2 of those artist are.

1 is new and hip

1 is the exception not the rule.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:49 pm

Post by Parama »

oh to be fair hozier did well before they were popular, take me to church was entered a number of months before that song blew up in the mainstream
i have no clue who vance joy is
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:51 pm

Post by Vijarada »

oh right i'm an australian sorry. he has 100 million views on youtube though! good stuff good stuff
get a warrant
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:40 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 27, PJ. wrote:Bowie and Miles Davis are part of that unspoken "this band is far too famous to be in this so we're gonna vote it down" tier of music, so that's why they haven'y won/been in
Everybody knows who Miles Davis is, but I'm willing to bet most people haven't actually listened to anything he's done. That's why I don't consider him to be in the sphere of artists too popular for the song contest.

I wouldn't enter Kanye, for example.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:36 am

Post by Save The Dragons »

Vance joy is known in the states as well
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:31 pm

Post by Vijarada »

kanye has been entered 6 times fun fact.
get a warrant
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:29 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Burkina Faso - if your goal was to make me extremely uncomfortable for 3 minutes then good work, you succeeded. the visuals were creepy, the song was creepy, and the constant flashing (this should have seizure warnings) was really disorienting. I liked none of it.

Croatia - cute video, loved the song, and the lyrics have a great message. fun and relatable. liked this a lot.

Sealand - a little too rock and a little too repetitive. not bad, just not my thing.

Hungary - folk ballads get a decent rating from me. they have a lot of story and a lot of emotion. this one delivered.

Italy - great choice. very artistic and really full of emotion. the contrast between the calm center and the emotional lash out is really well captivated.

Greece - i really tike the techno beats and whatnot. i actually think i have heard this before, but never really listened to it. clever enough and a good chill song.

USA - there's a little too much angst in this song.
oh god it just got to the screaming part. i'm out.

Portugal - this is great. i am a big fan of this style, the loud strong, but not rock vocals are awesome and the harmonizing part is fun.

Liechtenstein - sounds like they're singing over a variety of nintendo noises. it's fun a light but a bit confused. not bad though.

Ecuador - this feels like it would fit on big shiny tunes and that's aight. it's still a little rocky for me but it should get some points. i kinda like it.

Djibouti - i love this song and this is a great version of it. gets stuck in my head all the time. plus, the video is a lot of fun.

Lebanon - i was really skeptical when i say an almost 9 minute long song, subbed. but i am so glad i gave it a chance. the story is great and i found myself bobbing along with the song from start to finish.

Slovenia - this was a very energetic submission. i am definitely in a mood where i can appreciate it. nicely arranged and good vocals. i like the spacey theme too.

North Korea - oh man, miles davis? classic. does that say it's with coltrane? daaaaamn.
great jazzy piece from some of the masters.

Mali - the british invasion throwback feel was awesome. i really like how they captured it. and the guinness pour at ~53 seconds in was perfect. well done to that barkeep.

Nauru - the rap didn't really felt it fit with the music. i just couldn't get into it because of this.

Central African Republic - bowie is always an amazing choice. he is fun but his songs are a little long sometimes. getting good marks but i get bored a bit as this goes on. I actually stopped a couple minutes early. i just couldn't anymore. sorry bowie.

Macedonia - this is a bit more my speed. good railroad song. and i love the harmonica.

Bhutan - uggh this just sounds like noise at the start. it's too busy. i'm sure it can be appreciated my some, but not me.

Macau - i like the pace, sound, and video for this song. good stuff.

voting in a bit. my thoughts are down though.
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:43 pm

Post by Plotinus »

I really liked Macau and Macedonia this time.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:33 am

Burkina Faso - eh
Croatia - heard one of his songs before he's alright
Sealand - i liked this more than i thought i would
Hungary - i disliked this more than i thought i would
Italy - mmmm this is okay
Greece - okay
USA - i kinda like it but its not grabbing me
Portugal - i remember hearing this on the radio i like it
Nosferatu
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:43 pm

Post by Nosferatu »

slovenia is nicer than i would have expected

6 total members, 3 vocalists, and yet still no rhythm guitar

metal as fuck
BRASIL BRASIL BRASIL BRRRRR
last.fm
gtkas
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:37 am

Lietchtenstein - interesting but not sure
Djbouti - i really dislike this song and just seeing it on the list got it stuck in my head so thanks a lot
Lebanon- this was cool
Slovenia - heard it before but i like it a lot
Nk- i wouldnt seek this out but it was cool
Mali - i like this i do wish it didnt repeat so much
Nauru - is this the definition of discordant?
CAR- i liked the last 5 minutes didn't need the first 5 personally
Macedonia-huh i liked this way more than i thought i would
Bhutan - maybe ill like this more upon second listen i shoulf like this
Macau - boring
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:47 pm

Post by Shadoweh »

1 Burkina Faso - This should have an epilepsy warning geez. It's... okay?
2 Croatia - Cute and peppy
3 Sealand - This sounds so, I don't know how to describe, my mom would have liked this lol
4 Hungary - 30 seconds in and I'm asleep, this better pick up. Nope the whole thing is like this.
5 Italy - Is this supposed to be finding peace through experience or something? It seems v star wars.
6 Greece - This is exactly what I like
7 USA - This stop-motion bullshit is really hard to look at, again. this contest is trying to make me nauseous on purpose isn't it? The song is fine.
8 Portugal - Oh it's a pop song about getting high and crashing cars?
9 Liechtenstein - This is relaxing in the way I like
10 Ecuador - Okay I was v nervous screaming was going to start at some point, now to listen with the sound up. I like the music actually, the singer's voice is like those on purpose totally not a good voice bands to be edgy. (i notice that's what the song is about too so meta)
11 Djibouti - It's catchy enough but I don't really enjoy songs about how drinking is going to make you cheat.
12 Lebanon - If you listened to this you've already made me happy. :)
13 Slovenia - I would like this so much better if someone didn't randomly do that deep screeech thing.
14 North Korea - Jazz has to be a lot swingier then this to get me going
15 Mali - This is okay for mindless background music I think. I'd be okay listening to this again.
16 Nauru - Today I learned rap is tolerable if it's not English? This shouldn't surprise me. I still don't particularily like it. The music is nice.
17 Central African Republic - Wow nothing has happened for a minute, I'm already bored. Okay I skipped ahead, the song doesn't start for three minutes. And the song is more of the same slow stuff. I'm not listening to any more of this. (Yes it me, the last person on the planet of my age range who doesn't like David Bowie)
18 Macedonia - Yeah it's okay I guess. It's folksy?
19 Bhutan - This has a good teen rebel vibe to it. Actually I listen to five other songs frequently that sound just like this.
20 Macau - Oh god more motion sickness please stop. The subtitles are Korean, not particularily helpful lol. It's not quite as upbeat as I like but it was pleasant to listen to.

I don't know why everyone submitted start and stop videos but please, i can't take it ;-;
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:00 am

Post by Davsto »

last day to vote
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:24 am

Post by Creature »

wtf are those entries?
Sigh
SnowStorm
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:43 am

Post by SnowStorm »

Voted.

Croatia - Sounds like those annoying happy clappy ukelele songs constantly used in commercials. I don't like it.
Sealand - Meh, I don't mind it.
Hungary - Meh.
Italy - I like this. I'd heard her before on Spotify and have been meaning to give her a listen.
Greece - Ok.
USA - I kinda like his voice. I don't like this genre but I don't mind this much.
Portugal - I don't like some of the sounds and I find it kind of annoying, but it's also different enough that it still manages to keep me listening.
Liechtenstein - Similar feelings to Portugal. It has some annoying qualities, and yet I don't mind it.
Ecuador - This, I mind.
Djibouti - Is this a Cotton Eyed Joe? Are these guys drinking shots at 9:45pm?
Lebanon - I don't care for this.
Slovenia - This is way too edgy for me.
North Korea - OK. It's jazz.
Mali - I'm jazz-ignorant, I prefer this Miles.
Nauru - This is pretty cool.
Central African Republic - Dam, this is 10 minutes long. You can keep them, I don't want them back.
Macedonia - Meh.
Bhutan - Ok.
Macau - It's fine.

It might not look that way, but all in all, I liked this contest. My top 10 consists of 10 songs that I liked to different degrees, without compromises. There was enough variety and even some of the genres that I don't usually like surprised me positively. Thumbs up.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:39 pm

Post by xyzzy »

burkina faso - I really like the energy of this? it's the kind of music that made me like. involuntarily move. that's the good shit
croatia - this feels like the kind of song that would show up in a couple of fun indie movies and then suddenly it would get too much radio play. I like it but I don't necessarily want to ever listen to it again
sealand - this just really isn't the sort of thing I like at all. I feel like I've heard variants on this exact sound a thousand times before.
hungary - this sounds like the kind of thing you'd get a really strong emotional connection with because one of the counselers plays it on the last night of summer camp and you cry and hope you never lose these friendships. that's a good feeling to have even if the friendships don't last.
italy - this one is kind of weird to me. I don't really love it but I don't hate it either. I just don't really have strong emotions about it at all and it's very Fine
greece - this is a lot of fun and I'm super into it! a good jam that I would happily hear again
usa - I feel like this takes itself way too seriously. like it's good but it's not fun and I'm not here for music that isn't fun. kind of like the country you picked to represent it if you think about it
portugal - this could never be my favorite song, but I could still be close friends with someone for whom this is their favorite song who puts it on repeat whenever we're together. it would be a Friendship Jam. kind of like how my best friend is into the Netflix
Voltron
show. I don't know shit about that and I don't know what he's talking about when he talks about OTPs but I'm enthusiastic about friendship. if this is your favorite song shoot me a PM and maybe we'll become close friends!
liechtenstein - the bit with the horse neighing in the background near the very end of the song is a Big Mood
ecuador - I googled to find out what year this song came out but I already knew the song came out in 2004. obviously it came out in 2004. that's the most aggressively 2004 song I've ever listened to. that's the only year that song could've been made in
djibouti - this song crashed the music bot I was using to listen to the music in the foxchat discord. this is quite frankly unforgiveable
lebanon - I don't know a fucking thing about Touhou but this song was a good time. I hope someday there's a movie where the main character just fucking loves Touhou so that this song will appear in it during a montage. that would be a good movie
slovenia -
I used to like this kind of music but it's all just very silly to me nowadays. like just calm down and have a good time. there's no need to be all dramatic
actually I take that back. the last 5 seconds of this are a fucking jam
north korea - this was a nice, relaxing time. thank you for sharing it with me, whoever picked it.
mali - this had a fun and peppy sound. I had a fun time listening to it and would not mind hearing it again in the future.
nauru - the music and the vocals felt like a tonal mismatch; neither of them were bad but they don't really feel like they go together.
central african republic - this was worth spending 10 minutes of my life on
macedonia - in foxchat discord GL said "there's something about the voice that bothers me"
bhutan - I actually listened to this one last b/c the bot in foxchat discord couldn't find it. it was a nice, energetic way to close out the list!
macau - caled I literally played this song during that one song game we were both in. I can't believe you stole this song from me for song contest. unbelievable
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:53 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

oh fuck i missed deadline :(
green shirt thursdays
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:54 pm

Post by xyzzy »

In post 47, xRECKONERx wrote:oh fuck i missed deadline :(
it's midnight PST so you can still theoretically pull it off I think!!!
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:03 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

i listened to most of them i just didnt finish so im going to try!!
green shirt thursdays

Return to “General Discussion”