Marathon Weekend - Jul 4 - Jul 8 (Over!)

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #3 (isolation #0) » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:03 pm

Post by xyzzy »

so I recently ran a game called "Mafia Month" where the premise was the game would last at most a month real time and if the town failed to achieve a win in that month, the mafia would win. if I were to run a game like this called Mafia Marathon where it takes place during the entirety of Marathon Weekend, would there be interest in that? I'm thinking I'd aim for 13-17 players so it's large enough that it's legitimately challenging to achieve consensus on lynches but not totally impossible.

if I run this, I'll obviously need to form a player list and create a setup in advance as well as recruit 1-2 co-mods who will be awake at different times from me (maybe one in
England
the British Isles and one on the west coast?), which is why I'm announcing this so early and finding out if there's interest in this.
Last edited by xyzzy on Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #29 (isolation #1) » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:31 pm

Post by xyzzy »

In post 28, fur hydra wrote:
Spoiler:
READ ON AT YOUR OWN PERIL
Greetings, good people of MafiaScum.net.

You may have heard the rumours about Marathon Weekend running from this coming 4th of July, til the 8th of July.

You may have heard that this will feature a series of small, rapid-paced games for all to enjoy.

What you may not have heard is the magnificent machinations of the malignant mafia. For if they have their way, the end of this Marathon Weekend will be the end of the WORLD.

~~~

MAFIA MARATHON: APOCALYPSE
is a 13 player closed game, created by xyzzy (recent inventor of Mafia Month).

The game will last for the same length as the marathon weekend. Days are ended via majority vote, and nights will last for 3 hours.

The game will end when either faction is eliminated (or nothing can prevent this)...but with a twist: if marathon weekend ends and a win condition has not been achieved, the mafia will instantly achieve their goal of destroying the world.

Given the nature of this setup:
  • night actions will be accepted in advance of night phases. Reasonable contingencies will be accepted; if you would like to discuss this, reach out to us.
Spoiler: for example
if a standard sane cop were to send a message indicating "if xyzzy flips town, investigate the worst. if xyzzy flips scum, investigate mith", this action would be accepted and resolved as per instructions. if your contingent action is not clear and decisive, or we are not absolutely sure how to interpret it (e.g. only "if xyzzy flips town investigate the worst." will resolve as investigating the worst every time; "if xyzzy flips town, investigate at random" will be refused.).
  • private communication will be allowed at all times.
  • we actively encourage hydras if you would like to play but aren't comfortable with the full commitment. Hydras are in particular encouraged if you can find members from vastly different timezones, or schedules. If you'd like to form a new hydra, but don't currently have a partner or know who to invite, please respond to this message and add you to a PT for sourcing partners.
  • there will be no third parties, or bastard mechanics (outside of the obvious).
This is effectively an invitation to players who enjoy marathon weekends / the mods thought to invite. If you would like to extend an invitation to another player, or hydra partner, please let us know.

Any open slots will be filled ASAP via in thread sign ups.

If you have any questions, please contact this account or one of the undersigned.

- xyzzy & the worst

P.S. if you don't want to play, don't feel bad--we assure* you that the world won't literally end**.
P.P.S. also, if you are interested, we strongly encourage you to play in other marathon games during marathon weekend -- our goal isn't to have you focus solely on this game but to have this be an ongoing thing in the middle of other games!
wow if you think about it this is actually a really good idea and you should join it! as a reminder if you want a hydra partner who can play the game while you're asleep but don't have anyone in particular, you can PM one of us to be added to a private thread where you can post some info about your timezone and availability!!!

Return to “News”