Planned Changes: Newbie Game Deadlines

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #74 (isolation #0) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:39 am

Post by nancy »

In post 26, Plotinus wrote:
In post 23, Nexus wrote:
In post 20, Plotinus wrote: If you haven't posted game advancing content in 7 days (on 14 day deadlines) or say 4 days (7 day deadlines) you get replaced, even if V/LA.
I have an issue (in general) with this idea. I think that it's not the game moderator's job to say if you're posting game advancing content, because that's overstepping the bounds. If a player wants to just prod dodge then it's a valid tactic and it's up to the rest of the players to decide what to do with that.
I implemented it after a micro i modded where there were 3 town slots who had posted nothing but "I'll get to this later" every 47 hours for weeks on end so i couldn't replace them. It was really frustrating.

I hear what you're saying though and I think it would be really easy to overstep, so I try to be really really lenient with what counts. naked votes count. unvotes count. saying "x is kinda scummy" counts. answering a question or asking one counts, even if it's not a satisfying answer (that would be overstepping). most (probably all) ways of interacting with another player count.

You can still prod dodge in my rule set. The easiest way is probably a post like "i'll get to this later but I think i'm still happy with my vote." or "Got prodded; Plot is scum." and then later if they want they can say "oh that was just a prod dodge, I didn't really mean it." You can be a minimal content poster and skate by just fine.

Since I started paying attention, I've found that most of the time when someone posts "i'll get this later," that post doesn't count for activity but they still wind up posting something before they get into prod range, so it doesn't come up.

I've been using this ruleset for over a year and the only complaints I've gotten were that I was too lenient (counting an unvote as game advancing, for example). I think it's had a positive effect on the games I've modded, it encourages people to be more active.
I like this rule so much. The first time I saw it in one of your games, I started using it in all my games, too. I think it's super useful.

I think I like the deadline change, newbie games seem to have become a lot more stagnant compared to how they used to be, and I think it's harder for newbies to play in a slow setting compared to experienced players because slow settings are good for more thoughtful play and newbies don't really know how to do that yet, most of the time. (A lot of our newbies seem to come from ToS and EM these days?)

Am assuming you would change prod ranges and such. I can foresee a potential problem getting replacements in time but hopefully that won't happen too much. Maybe it would be a good time to implement some other things to punish people for replacing out, but I don't know how that's possible since it's only 1 queue.
:2017-2018:
hi meet my mafiascum gravestone, the flowers were probably left by camn or schadd or Prism, blow them kisses for me would you?
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #84 (isolation #1) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:19 pm

Post by nancy »

In post 75, PenguinPower wrote:Correct assumption. Happy to hear your ideas on what that should be, and also from you/mhsmith0/anoyone else on appropriate action for replace outs.
I would actually suggest a flexible prod system, like 1st prod=36 hours, 2nd prod=24 hours, 3rd prod=24 hours. It's a bit more work for the mod but newbie games are really really really easy and low-maintenance so I don't think that's an issue. Am sure you already know this but it's important to keep in mind that even 1 inactive player in a 9p can stagnate the game, and 2 or god forbid 3 inactive slots and the game is basically unplayable for everyone else. And activity kind of becomes more important with shorter deadlines.

As far as replacement stuff is concerned, if I were newbie listmod I would probably do something like this:

- If you replace out of a newbie game, you aren't allow to rejoin the queue until that game has ended.
- If you have replaced out of your last 3 newbie games, you are suspended from rejoining the queue for a month (effective from when the 3rd game you replaced out of ends).
- You must have completed your last 3 newbie games in order to be eligible for IC.

Force replaces that were not the fault of the player being replaced would obviously not apply for any of that.

I think that would keep people who habitually replace out of games away from the queue and would also encourage people who teeter on the edge of that habit from replacing out if they were considering doing so. The biggest problem I think with the way replacements on this site are handled is that you have people sub out of one game and join another literally within the same day, and nothing is done to prevent this. I've seen it happen in the newbie queue before as well, where someone will shrugsub out of a game they don't like or don't have time for and /in to the queue the next day or the next week.

I think at the same time you would probably need to give the mod more control over toxicity and give them tools to prevent toxicity from ruining games, so that people who replace out of a game because they were being abused or couldn't handle an awful game environment aren't punished, and probably allow those players to appeal to the listmod (you) if they replaced out of a game for those kinds of reasons and are prevented from rejoining the queue even though that wasn't really their fault or in their control at all. That would mean more work for the listmod though which is obviously not ideal I guess.
hi meet my mafiascum gravestone, the flowers were probably left by camn or schadd or Prism, blow them kisses for me would you?
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #86 (isolation #2) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:38 pm

Post by nancy »

In post 85, ruru wrote:you deserve to get flamed by the remaining players
What.

Like actually what.
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #97 (isolation #3) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:43 pm

Post by nancy »

In post 96, Sunlit Diamond wrote:From the being replaced side: I replace out because I DO care about the games I'm in and I'm cognizant that for whatever reason, I can't play to win condition for longer than I can reasonably ask my co-players to wait for me to return (usually it's a 7-10 day time frame where work pummels me six ways from Sunday, and then I'm free again). I replace out so my team can have someone who CAN commit.
You should only join games where it's not going to be a problem for you to be absent for that long of a period, or figure out a way to squeeze in enough time here and there in that time frame so that you can meet activity requirements at least enough to not be replaced. I've played mafia games while working ~120 hours and was working ~80 hours until this week, so I can appreciate how difficult it is. Is really something you need to think about before you join the game, imo.
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #100 (isolation #4) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:36 pm

Post by nancy »

In post 98, Sunlit Diamond wrote:
In post 97, nancy wrote:
In post 96, Sunlit Diamond wrote:From the being replaced side: I replace out because I DO care about the games I'm in and I'm cognizant that for whatever reason, I can't play to win condition for longer than I can reasonably ask my co-players to wait for me to return (usually it's a 7-10 day time frame where work pummels me six ways from Sunday, and then I'm free again). I replace out so my team can have someone who CAN commit.
You should only join games where it's not going to be a problem for you to be absent for that long of a period, or figure out a way to squeeze in enough time here and there in that time frame so that you can meet activity requirements at least enough to not be replaced. I've played mafia games while working ~120 hours and was working ~80 hours until this week, so I can appreciate how difficult it is. Is really something you need to think about before you join the game, imo.
I do think about that before I join games, which is why I haven't played in something like five months. The problem is that those surges in busy (and in my mental capacity to deal) are pretty close to unpredictable. I know better than to join a game when I'm *already* busy, but...for example, right now my work is dead as a doornail and looks like it will stay that way until September. Do I cross my fingers and jump into a game since it looks quiet, or do I just unilaterally declare I can't do something I enjoy because I MIGHT get busy?

Sorry, but the former is going to win.
I think just try to make sure the mod and the other players are aware that it might happen and if they're all okay with it, then join. If everyone has given their informed consent then if it does happen, no one is taken by surprise and it won't disrupt the game as much. And in those cases maybe you won't need to replace out. I think a lot of it is about awareness and managing expectations. If people know beforehand, they might be more understanding when your activity drops severely, you aren't able to make super good quality content, and you're posting without being fully caught up. I don't think you necessarily have to replace out.

Also, games on mafiascum tend to run pretty long. It might be helpful for you to find a site where deadlines are shorter and games don't last longer than a couple of weeks.
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #102 (isolation #5) » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:03 pm

Post by nancy »

In post 99, Plotinus wrote:If we get into weighing whether a replaceout was legit or not and only replacements that aren't for good enough reasons are punished, then that leaks some information about the nature of the replacements. For example, in the last game I modded, two players were replaced because one posted their role PM and the other saw it before it was hidden. One of the players was banned -- but this wasn't announced until after the game, of course. The other player was allowed to start a new newbie game right away because he shouldn't be punished for his honesty. If we had a strict rule about replacing out that was enforced, then the fact that the other player is allowed to join a new game without punishment reveals something about the nature of the replacement.

If we expand the definition of legit to allow for stuff like sudden illness or whatever then players are forced to disclose something they may consider private or we have to figure out where we draw the line -- sudden serious illness is ok but not sudden headcold? sudden grounding from the internet by angry parents? final exams coming up, which couldn't have been anticipated because how was any student supposed to remember at the beginning of May that finals would come at the end of May?

In the last game I modded, a newbie replaced out because they were bored. It was kind of a lame reason because boredom is transient and is an easy problem to solve: just do stuff to make stuff happen, interact with other people more, start a conversation, suddenly you're not bored anymore yay. Also, with 2 week deadlines, if you're bored you can go do something else for a day and come back and find something has happened. But on the other hand, part of trying a new activity is figuring out if you like it or not, and sometimes you realise a few days into it that you don't. You tried a new thing but it's not your thing. You only have 24 hours each day, no more and no less. You only have so much free time. Should you spend your free time doing something you have realised isn't fun? Why? And, furthermore, suppose we have a system that punishes people for replacing out. The person who has realised mafia isn't fun and replaces out of their newbie game, closes the browser tab and never comes back, do they notice that they have been punished? Do they care? Does it have any deterrence? This is like telling a child who doesn't want to eat his broccoli, "if you don't eat your broccoli, you can't have any more broccoli tomorrow!" The child is going to say "uh, okay, great!"

We already have a system in place to punish people who only replace out of scum slots or whatever. We already have a system in place to punish people who excessively join and replace out of games. If you read the ban thread you'll see the listmods do that when it gets egregious. I don't think we need a system to punish ordinary levels of flaking, especially in the population of people we're trying to retain.
I don't think replace-outs or judgement about their legitimacy should ever be alignment indicative. Maybe a rule enforcing that would help to make that a non-issue? The "don't talk about replacements" rule is a thing on nearly every other site I've played on and I really like it.

I don't think that punishing replace-outs is for the newbies in the queue, it's for the SEs mostly. And I feel like you might be heading towards territory where the listmod is making personal judgements about the people or their character. In my mind, none of that is really part of it. I don't think the listmod or mod should have to consider personal reasons. That's really not something that someone in an anonymous game environment should have to evaluate and it's not something that the player should have to reveal or talk about. If someone replaces out for personal reasons, I think they should just be aware that they may have to sit things out until the game ends and they can join a new one again. (And if they're unwell then the restriction I suggested shouldn't affect them I don't think? What do you think?)

But if someone replaces out for reasons that are related to the game itself, the listmod or mods can evaluate that, and I don't think toxicity is related to alignment, so I don't know if that will really be a big issue? It's a little bit problematic, yeah, but everything is always going to be problematic in some way and I think the current situation is more problematic than that.

I hope you don't think this is about demonizing replacing out as a thing. For me it's just making sure that people know that they are expected not to replace out haphazardly or thoughtless or excessively and to make sure they don't over-commit themselves. When I first started on this site, I replaced out of a ton of games for bad reasons (sometimes for good reasons) and I think it would have been good for me as a player to have rules pushing me to not do that the way that I did.

Replacing out is an important thing to be able to do, sometimes you're not enjoying a game and it's driving you mad and you just can't deal with it anymore, sometimes life gets too much and you can't give what the game needs anymore, there are lots of reasons to replace out of a game, but at the moment I think there's a bit of a culture where replacing out is something you can do kind of flippantly and I don't think that's good. I think putting restrictions in place to counteract that is a good thing, even if it might be inconvenient for some people who aren't part of the problem. I don't really know, though. It's hard to think about this stuff and it's really hard to balance it all.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding anything that you were trying to say, or talking past you, or just being stupid or ignorant about something. Please let me know if you don't feel understood, or try to convince me of your opinion more if you just think I'm wrong.
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #123 (isolation #6) » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:12 am

Post by nancy »

Blah. I don't think we will be able to agree with each other, Plot. I think I understand you, I just don't agree with much of what you are saying. Even if a replace out is legitimate from the perspective of the player replacing out, I don't think that means that it was necessarily okay from a site meta perspective for them to replace out, and I don't think it means that they necessarily had the right standards for what is a legitimate replace out. I think that's probably our main point of disagreement.
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #143 (isolation #7) » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:11 pm

Post by nancy »

Callforjudgement's Standard Rules wrote:Simple "I've been prodded, I'll post later" posts don't stop the prod timer, because players have a habit of making them and then not posting. A prod response post must: a) express at least one read on a living player; b) ask a question of a player; and/or c) answer a question asked by another player, in order to count.
That's not fast food-y enough for mafiascum, I don't think.

Probably no one is going to understand what I mean by that but I can't be bothered explaining.

Why did you choose 32 and not 30?
Last edited by nancy on Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #146 (isolation #8) » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:21 pm

Post by nancy »

The thing with inactive players is that shorter prods are probably only really going to help with getting a replacement sooner. (That 48-hour wait plus the time for someone to sub in is hell.) When you have SEs who are just lurking, getting prodded doesn't really get them more active and engaged in the game in my experience, it just makes them post a few times and then go back to lurking until their next prod. The same thing is pretty much true of newbies. Figuring out how to fix prod timers will be great but it only deals with a fairly specific set of activity problems I think, and doesn't take care of the real problem.

I have no idea what the purpose of this post is.
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #148 (isolation #9) » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:53 am

Post by nancy »

In post 147, callforjudgement wrote:I don't have a strong reason for preferring 32 over 30. I'd established via experiment that the correct time was "a bit more than 24 hours", but not how much more, and 32 was the next value I tried. It seems to work; it's quite likely that both 30 and 32 work.
Well half of 48 is 24 and half of 24 is 12 and half of 12 is 6 and 48-12 is 36 and 36-6 is 30 and 24+6 is 30 so :V
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #155 (isolation #10) » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:15 am

Post by nancy »

In post 153, Toomai wrote:The first newbie game with deadline/prod changes has been assigned.
In post 2, PenguinPower wrote:Deadlines have been updated to 10 days for Day 1, and 7 days for all further Day phases. Prodding now occurs after 30 hours of inactivity. (7/2/2018)
I will be watching winrate and replacement stats comparing old and new systems.
Much excite.
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #158 (isolation #11) » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:26 pm

Post by nancy »

Math is fun.
nancy
nancy
Jack of All Trades
nancy
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #164 (isolation #12) » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:06 am

Post by nancy »

Penguin, those PMs were all from my alts.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”