Mish Mash Reorganization

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Mish Mash Reorganization

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:06 am

Post by zoraster »

We're doing a small amount of reorganization around the Mish Mash area. T
his forum is now known as "Other Forum Games" (mirroring many other sites for the ease of new players), and it's found under the "The Whole General Sort of Mish Mash" category, which now has both Large Social Games and Other Forum Games under it.
CuddlyCaucasian, xRECKONERx and xofelf are now all known as Mish Mash List Moderators and will oversee both. This shouldn't lead to many changes for most of you.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #3 (isolation #1) » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:19 pm

Post by zoraster »

Is it a demotion? the only change was to the name and having reck, xo and CC all officially covering both (which was already practically the case).

Happy to use a different name, but anecdotally newer players find mish mash slower than they otherwise would with something that aligned with expectations. I don't have survey information to back that up, though, and you guys are much closer involved.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #6 (isolation #2) » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:54 pm

Post by zoraster »

Just for what it's worth, mish mash previously was under "Other Games" as a category although I don't really expect people to notice the categories as they're fairly small compared to the forum names. In essence, the names got swapped so that Mish Mash includes LSG and "Other Games" rather than "Other Games" including Mish Mash and LSG. That allowed our listmods to be called "Mish Mash List Moderators" rather than "Other Games List Moderators" which it was felt was awkward. Again, I'm not married to this change or anything if we can come up with an acceptable alternative.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #10 (isolation #3) » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:12 pm

Post by zoraster »

that works for me too.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #17 (isolation #4) » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:35 am

Post by zoraster »

All right. I've reverted the change while we figure it out. The change as to staffing is the same (i.e. all three cover both Mish Mash and LSG), so at the very least we need to come up with a name that makes it clear what they cover.

Thanks for your input, everyone!
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #26 (isolation #5) » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:30 am

Post by zoraster »

From my perspective there are two questions: (1) Will a name change cause our current users to stop playing? (2) Will it be easier for us to get new players over to this forum if we change the name?

For the first, outside a fit of pique I don't think Mish Mash players are known for, I don't think it's likely we see fewer players simply because the name changed.
The second is where the rub is. Does "Other Games" or "Forum Games" etc. help players find it? Does it increase their likelihood to engage with it? I'm not sure, but it seems likely that at the very least a player looking at it is going to think "oh hey, that's where they play non-mafia games" whereas Mish Mash is pretty darn opaque in terms of meaning.

The mafia forums have that problem to a smaller extent, but given that sign ups don't take place on them and the sign up threads call them what they are, I don't know that's as big a problem. Perhaps we should look into that too, though.

I accept that users may have some attachment to the name Mish Mash, and I'm sympathetic to that, but at the same time it's not really the metric I want to drive decision making if we're going to continue to grow the section.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”