Shorter deadlines question for the community

This forum is for discussion related to the game.

Would you play a game with shorter deadlines (less than the two week average)?

Yes.
55%
No.
32%
Presently? Yes, I'd play a game with shorter deadlines, but not in the future.
5%
Presently? No, I wouldn't play a game with shorter deadlines, but definitely in the future.
2%
Maybe. Please comment!
6%
Other. Please comment!
2%

Total votes: 66

chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #31 (isolation #0) » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:26 am

Post by chamber »

I think very few people have suggested that? I don't think anyone in a position of authority has.
Taking a break from the site.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #38 (isolation #1) » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:22 pm

Post by chamber »

To be fair, for most of those 6 years it was actually 3 week day 1's.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #44 (isolation #2) » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:13 am

Post by chamber »

In what way is that post helpful?
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #51 (isolation #3) » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:44 am

Post by chamber »

(this is @alisea)

I just think you were blowing up on the wrong people. The flow of the conversation is something like this: person a: run shorter games, person b: you can already run shorter games.

I think 99% of the person A's haven't read all of the topics they post in to know they are constantly repeating the same thing. If you have constructive ideas about how to get more short games run, share them. But just saying, "oh here are these prolific well respected mods of longer format games and they wont change to a shorter format *crying*" isn't going to resolve anything. Some of the new generation is going to need to be willing to mod the types of games they want to play in. (and there are other things too that have already been discussed at length in terms of reducing the burden on mods, and making mods more likely to run blitz speed games).
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #52 (isolation #4) » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:47 am

Post by chamber »

Talking about the queues for a moment, I've had a thought recently that we might have fucked up when we introduced the normal guidelines. Before that point, there was this notion that normals were easier to run than themes because its one less thing to think about. So we funneled the newbie mods into the mini normals first. Then we got a bunch of shitty mini normals cause it's where all the first time mods were, so we introduced a bunch of strict rules about what it means to be normal, put together review groups etc. Does it really still make sense to channel the first time mods into them if we are setting that higher standard for them? It might actually make sense to just open up mini themes to first time mods. This would also explicitly let them run blitz speed games.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #55 (isolation #5) » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:57 am

Post by chamber »

I think the intention of normals as they exist is to offer an extremely uniform experience, and those deadlines definitely change the experience. I don't think that's the goal of the open queue as it exists so personally see no issue with shorter deadlines there. I also think we can question whether that's what the normal queue should be.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #56 (isolation #6) » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:58 am

Post by chamber »

Oh, I slightly misread your post. 10 or 7 days is likely fine and I think already allowed.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #71 (isolation #7) » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:45 am

Post by chamber »

I can actually comment on why we went with micro's needing more experience. (whether it was ultimately right or not). Designing balanced small setups is actually much harder than large setups. In large setups there is a lot more room for fudge factor because there are so many moving pieces. In a smaller game 1 OP role or w/e and the whole game's f'ed. On the other hand actually running a micro is easiest, and running a large game is hardest. That's why mini's are the entry point with micros and larges both requiring experience. (as the system is).

I question how much value we are actually getting from this at the moment though.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”