unnamed Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition play-by-post campaign

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #73 (isolation #0) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:34 am

Post by chamber »

The demand for this seems really high so I've talked to SK and I'm going to throw my hat in as a DM. I'm looking to run a city centered campaign based on a 5e conversion (by me in real time as we run into it) of the pathfinder adventure path Curse of the Crimson Throne. The adventurers will start out being brought together to seek revenge against a local crime boss that has wronged them all in some way in the past. It will transition into a campaign where they will be offered options for quests at the local adventure's guild. Seeds for a greater narrative will be tied into some or most of the quests that the group choose to take. The setting will be high magic by 5e standards. Curse of the Crimson Throne originally is intended to run from first to 20th level. That could be quite a big time commitment so we might stop at another break point (perhaps as early as you getting revenge on the local crime boss.) dependent on how everyone is enjoying things.
Taking a break from the site.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #76 (isolation #1) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:28 am

Post by chamber »

As I'm offering to DM, I'll say, if the characters do objectively stupid things they might die (or if its narratively fitting and they want it for their character). I feel its important to have other consequences though. Me never seeking to kill my pcs doesn't mean they can't lose other things.
Last edited by chamber on Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #82 (isolation #2) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:31 am

Post by chamber »

I would suggest at this point that people start /inning for either me (we will start at level 1) or Skrew (state a level preference? Not sure what he wants). And we can judge things from there.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #91 (isolation #3) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:17 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 86, McMenno wrote:
In post 73, chamber wrote:The demand for this seems really high so I've talked to SK and I'm going to throw my hat in as a DM. I'm looking to run a city centered campaign based on a 5e conversion (by me in real time as we run into it) of the pathfinder adventure path Curse of the Crimson Throne. The adventurers will start out being brought together to seek revenge against a local crime boss that has wronged them all in some way in the past. It will transition into a campaign where they will be offered options for quests at the local adventure's guild. Seeds for a greater narrative will be tied into some or most of the quests that the group choose to take. The setting will be high magic by 5e standards. Curse of the Crimson Throne originally is intended to run from first to 20th level. That could be quite a big time commitment so we might stop at another break point (perhaps as early as you getting revenge on the local crime boss.) dependent on how everyone is enjoying things.
is this campaign more intrigue-based? because I have a concept for an orc barbarian who is dumber than a rock and am not sure whether he would fit here
On one hand, I didn't intend for this to be all that intrigue heavy at all, it may play a part in places, but it wouldn't be a main theme. On the other, (and I've been guilty of this many times) I think going into a campaign with a character idea leads to worse experiences than collaborative character building and meta building to the themes of the campaign (which I guess is in part of why you are doing this).

A large part of things would be your own selection of quests, but it would be as a group so making sure the group is in alignment of purpose would be important.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #94 (isolation #4) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:51 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 92, brassherald wrote:@chamber, would we be held to alignment restrictions, etc. from Pathfinder? Specifically, if I make a paladin (because I really like 5e paladins) would there be an issue if he is not Lawful Good?
We would be playing 5e. 5e alignment is more descriptive than prescriptive and doesn't explicitly limit any classes. I'm really serious about players goals being in alignment with each other though and not working against each other. This doesn't mean you have to be good. It does mean you all need to be evil or all need to be out for your selves as a group or etc.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #98 (isolation #5) » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:02 pm

Post by chamber »

The intent is for these to be play-by-post I believe? I've never run such a game but I was going to follow through with that. Seemed like it would reduce organizational complexities as well. I planned on creating a mish-mash thread for it once I knew there was sufficient interest.

Edit: will still likely create a topic here, but after doing some research, I think I might just create an external board for it. Handling organization in the thread here.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #109 (isolation #6) » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:17 am

Post by chamber »

In post 104, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 99, Faraday wrote:I'm interested in a low level campaign. Level 1 start best start.

Character wise, I'll see if i can convince myself to not play a Bard.
lvl 1 campaigns are awful tbh

lvls 1-3 are boring as shit. 3 is at least when you get your class specialization that makes it feel more unique and interesting

lvl 1 is just "lets hit things once every round and that's it"
I mean, I don't think we'll be doing more than 1-2 fights at level 1. It will be like the play by post equivalent of a session per level until level 3. This is more for people expressing interest in case they were expecting to be weak long term, which isn't the intention at all. This module is also notably pretty heavy on magic items by 5e standards ( cause its not made for 5e), and that will already provide even more complexities after a fight or 2.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #116 (isolation #7) » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:09 am

Post by chamber »

I'll close mine at 5 for now.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #123 (isolation #8) » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:16 am

Post by chamber »

In post 121, PJ. wrote:
In post 89, brassherald wrote:/in Chamber
In post 95, PenguinPower wrote:/in chamber
In post 103, James Brafin wrote:/in Chamber I think. Laying dibs on a CN Orc Barbarian.
In post 111, Faraday wrote:/in chamber's, then since the city adventure sounds cool and something different.

I'll create a character after we get info on the setting and such, since I've a few classes I'd not mind playing.
In post 112, KittyMo wrote:/in chamber
In post 116, chamber wrote:I'll close mine at 5 for now.
Nero Cain wrote:/in chamber
I missed penquins /in some how. I'll extend it to 6 because I should have worded that better if it was already closed.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”