Hearthstone- Heroes of Warcraft (Enter Your ID!)

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3501 (isolation #200) » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:35 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 3498, AngryPidgeon wrote:
In post 3485, PJ. wrote:well, everyone loses boom. So what fills that void? Do curves even go to 7 after that?

Honestly, I think Stormwind Champion might become a playable 7-drop. Its out of BGH range, ok stats and a good effect. The only issue is that its a "win more" card, but I think it'll see some playtime in midrange decks.

I don't think there's really any neutral 7 drops that are playable. Obviously, that could change with the next release and the meta shift, but part of why Dr. Boom was so ubiquitious is that it's a great minion in a slot that has nothing in it.

Speaking of BGH, does it still see play with Boom gone? Boom was the most common target for BGH, and the fact that Boom was in every deck was why BGH was so common. With Boom gone, a lot of deck may very well have no targets. Especially since Handlock has become a lot more rare, so there's fewer giants to hit with it.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3521 (isolation #201) » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:01 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Yep. Clears all locks currently on the board, including the ones that would be applied on the next turn. So Elemental Destruction away!
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3552 (isolation #202) » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:22 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I love Control Priest, but the games take so long to play.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3556 (isolation #203) » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:45 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think it's fun, but it's definitely a very tempo oriented meta right now. You're either playing against really fast aggro decks, or you're playing against combo/control decks with efficient removal.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3560 (isolation #204) » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:52 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

There's possibly nothing more fun than playing Control Priest against Face Shaman and watching him spam emotes because he can't outpace your healing.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3565 (isolation #205) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:02 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I like most of the nerfs, frankly, but I don't know that Blade Flurry or Master of Disguise really needed to be nerfed. Keeper was overnerfed, I think, and I'm curious why I shouldn't just play Azure Drake over Ancient of Lore now.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3572 (isolation #206) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:07 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Right, but I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've used AoL to heal. Almost every time I play it, I'm playing it to draw cards, and in most of my decks, it's my only source of card draw, given that Druid is really lacking in quality card draw. Azure Drake is cheaper and draws as many cards, and it's way more likely that spell damage is going to be useful than I'm going to want the 5 heal. Most of the other Druid nerfs I'm fine with- Combo needed a nerf, and Keeper probably was over-nerfed, but they clearly want to reduce the power of versatility and silence effects, so we'll see how it plays out.

I disagree with the Blade Flurry nerf, because it feels like too much. Either make it cost more, or take away hitting face, but not both. It feels like a change to try and discourage agro rogue and push control rogue, but it basically nerfs Rogue's only good AoE without giving anything to replace it in the new set. Master of Disguise nerf still seems weird, since the argument is that it limits design space, but what's the feared combo that they had to clear Master of Disguise to print? Scaled Abomination?

I'm pretty happy to see Knife Juggler and Leper Gnome get nerfed, since aggro has been too strong for a bit now; control has basically managed to survive by taking advantage of tools like Sludge Belcher that are rotating out, and this should help keep the playing field level.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3574 (isolation #207) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:51 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Azure Drake isn't getting changed. It's just the comparison card for the effect. Azure Drake is a 4/4 draw 1 spellpower 1 for 5, while Ancient is a 5/5 draw 1 for 7. You're basically paying 2 mana for +1/+1 stats and the option to trade draw 1 for heal 5 and losing spellpower. Not a great tradeoff, especially since Drake is a neutral and Ancient's a class card.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3578 (isolation #208) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:01 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 3575, BROseidon wrote:
In post 3572, Sudo_Nym wrote:I'm pretty happy to see Knife Juggler and Leper Gnome get nerfed, since aggro has been too strong for a bit now; control has basically managed to survive by taking advantage of tools like Sludge Belcher that are rotating out, and this should help keep the playing field level.

lol

Aggro has not been too strong.

Yeah, alright. Best meta decks are control and midrange. But still, fuck face decks yo.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3580 (isolation #209) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:06 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I actually don't really mind aggro that much. I hate playing as aggro, but "fair" aggro decks like face hunter I don't mind, and it's probably good for the meta game that decks like that exist. It's the ridiculous fart-out-a-win decks like Secret Paladin or Face Shammy that I really hate and want to see gone.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3590 (isolation #210) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:30 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think they either should change blade flurry to not hit face, or cost more, but not both.

I don't think leper gnome or knife juggler were overpowered, but they were basically top end. They were as strong as neutrals could be for the price, so there was no reason to run anything else in those slots. And since they're classic cards which will never rotate out, they had to be toned down for anything else to see play. Though I'm not sure if leper gnome or abusive sergeant was more problematic at 1.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3592 (isolation #211) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Yeah, I do wish that one of the cards yet to be revealed for rogue will be a board wipe to make up for nerfing Blade Flurry. They seem to be trying to push Control Rogue as a thing, so it makes sense that they should; I just wonder if they actually will.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3594 (isolation #212) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:39 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

It means that 2/3s become more valuable, since they can trade into it efficiently.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3606 (isolation #213) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:16 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Midrange druid is still going to have good stuff and mana ramp, so it should still be competitive. You might not be able to combo for fourteen from hand, but you can still innervate up the curve.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3612 (isolation #214) » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:16 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

To be fair, Freeze mage had to have a god hand to pull that off. But yeah, it's pretty ridiculous that cards like Blade Flurry and Arcane Golem got hit with the nerf stick because they enabled game-winning combos that were non-interactive, but Freeze mage is allowed to continue unchanged is ridiculous. I'm hearing streamers talk about how freeze mage is going to go downhill once Mad scientist is gone and you can't fetch your Ice Blocks easily, but Freeze Mage existed before Mad Scientist, and the meta is almost certainly going to slow down, so I don't think we're going to see it go.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3620 (isolation #215) » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:08 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Got Fandral, Ragnaros, Vek'lor, and Y'shaarj from my 53 packs. C'thun Druid, here I come!
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3657 (isolation #216) » Tue May 03, 2016 11:46 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've been really enjoying N'Zoth Pally, but it just rolls over to some decks. To be fair, it completely destroys others.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3658 (isolation #217) » Tue May 03, 2016 11:50 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Also, people apparently go insane when a Corrupted Healbot hits the board. I've had people use 2-3 pieces of removal to get that 8 health.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3660 (isolation #218) » Sat May 07, 2016 6:48 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

The answer is always face, Bro. Destroying face is how you win.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3668 (isolation #219) » Sun May 08, 2016 9:22 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Nah, the first one died when Shea lost interest in moderating.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3681 (isolation #220) » Sun May 08, 2016 2:23 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I want to play Rogue, but every list I look up runs BMT and EVC, and most also run Malygos. That's three legendaries I'm missing!
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3683 (isolation #221) » Mon May 09, 2016 4:39 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Light Rag is fantastic in Control Paladin and N'Zoth Paladin, and terrible in all other decks.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3687 (isolation #222) » Mon May 09, 2016 7:51 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

To be fair, when the rotation nerfs came out, the fact that BF was getting nerfed and Rogue wasn't getting anything particularly good in the expansion to make up for it. Then Xaril turned out to be better than expected, and the format mostly slowed down, making Gadgetzan Auctioneer a lot better. So that did kind of come out of nowhere. I am surprised that C'thun Druid didn't turn out to be among the top, though.

As much as I hate playing Aggro Shaman, I like that it's so strong, since it keeps deck-builders honest. The format mostly slowed down, and between slow decks, the greedier usually wins. But you can't get too greedy, or Aggro Shaman and Zoolock face-roll you.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3696 (isolation #223) » Thu May 12, 2016 9:32 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Ice Block+Fireball. You'll get them eventually.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3700 (isolation #224) » Fri May 13, 2016 9:04 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 3699, PJ. wrote:mechwarper + metaltooth leaper
Also, Mechwarper+Gorillabot
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3702 (isolation #225) » Fri May 13, 2016 9:17 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Probably not as purely strong, but more versatile. You can also play other classes than Druid for it, also.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3706 (isolation #226) » Fri May 13, 2016 12:28 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

How about just Frost Nova+Ice Block and use the ping?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3711 (isolation #227) » Fri May 27, 2016 5:29 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

There's Renounce Darkness, which is a Warlock card that changes your hero power and warlock class cards into a random different class.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3713 (isolation #228) » Sat May 28, 2016 7:55 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Now that the rotation is mostly settled, would there be any interest in retrying the mafiascum tournament? Probably in standard.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3727 (isolation #229) » Mon May 30, 2016 12:22 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've never facehowled anyone :( Closest I've gotten was killing Vek'lor with Gorehowl and Gromming face.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3730 (isolation #230) » Tue May 31, 2016 11:14 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I mostly play slow control decks. So if you want to see Control Priest and N'zoth Paladin played really mediocre, feel free to spectate me!
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3738 (isolation #231) » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:16 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Paladin, because Mustard is so good, then probably Mage, because Flamestrike is so good.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3751 (isolation #232) » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:58 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Generally, you want to start by crafting useful neutral legendaries, since you can use them in multiple decks, so you'll get the most use out of them. So I'd start by getting Ragnaros, Sylvanas, Leeroy, Harrison, Thalnos, and maybe Cairne, since I think those are the best neutral legends right now, assuming you play Standard. If you're in Wild, maybe Alex and Ysera are also good? I don't know that much about Wild. After that, starting getting the legends for the specific classes you want to play; these'll increase the power you get in those decks, but there's less likely to be useful in other decks, so they're less of a priority- VanCleef, Grom, and Tirion are probably the best class legendaries, since they're played in basically every deck of those classes. Antonidas is good, but you can make good Mage decks without him; it's a lot harder to make a good Paladin deck without Tirion.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3759 (isolation #233) » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:43 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Twin Emp is great in C'Thun Warrior and C'Thun Priest; I don't know if it's fast enough outside of a Control shell, though, but great value. N'Zoth is probably the best of the Old Gods, basically. Harrison is super good right now, since the top decks are Shaman, Warrior, Paladin, and Rogue, all of which have some amount of dependency on their weapons; I'd be tempted to craft that first. Tirion is super good; it's the best classic class legendary, like Reck says; basically every Paladin deck except for the most face-rush aggro will play Tirion in it. Grommash is probably second best, and the best finisher in most Warrior decks, but you already have it. Antonidas is fantastic in Tempo and Midrange Mage decks, but neither is really good right now; Freeze Mage is probably the best mage build, and most aren't running Antonidas at all. VanCleef is probably necessary in almost every Rogue deck. The rest aren't that great, I don't think; Cenarius sees some play in Ramp Druid, but that's not fantastic.

From TGT, I think basically Justiciar is the only one that sees real play. Varian sees some play in Tempo Warrior, and Gormok sees some play in Zoo. From Old Gods, there's Twin Emperor in Control Cthun, N'Zoth in build-around decks, Malkorok in Tempo Warrior, Fandral in Druid, and Light Rag in Control Paladins.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3761 (isolation #234) » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:13 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think those are the best of the ones you don't have. Alex isn't that great in Standard right now, but maybe it's good in Wild. Rag and Harrison are both really good in both right now, though.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3765 (isolation #235) » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:08 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Does Alex even get played in Dragons? I thought Ysera, Deathwing, and Nefarian were above it in that list. Control Warriors aren't even running Alex for being too bad tempowise. I think it's basically just Freeze at this point? At least in standard.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3775 (isolation #236) » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:42 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 3774, itlepip wrote:what is wallet warrior?
Nickname for Control Warrior. So called because the top end of the curve is almost entirely legendaries, so it's like you paid a ton of money to get the good cards to build the deck.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3782 (isolation #237) » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:47 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think you can still access Naxx if you bought it before, but you can't if you didn't.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3805 (isolation #238) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:34 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Well, something's going to be the weakest class. Protest has lots of powerful stuff to do, but no consistent way to do it. Nothing to match the early game removal efficiency of warrior, and no good early card draw.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3807 (isolation #239) » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:50 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I don't think so. Priest has never been top tier, I don't think, but before TGT, I think you could say that Shaman was the worst class. Priest just has the same problems it's always had- no particularly good way to get CA in the early game. Back when Velen's Chosen and Lightbomb were in the format, and there were a bunch of 2/1s for Northshire to get draws off of, you could usually do well enough to stay in the game until you could stabilize, and then you could do ridiculous things with Entomb or Cabal Shadow Priest. Now you can't do any of that- Chosen and Lightbomb are gone, and Northshire struggles to get draws, which means the faster decks just set up on you, and you have to just pray that you draw into your AOE before you die, which isn't a consistent game plan.

TLDR: Priest curve has always been top heavy, and Brode doesn't want to give them anything too good for too cheap for fear it'll break the class, I guess.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3816 (isolation #240) » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:10 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

You think I'd be used to it by now, but the aggro shaman matchup always pisses me off, no matter what deck I'm playing.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3818 (isolation #241) » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:59 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I get that. But at least control warriors has bad matchups that can reliably win. Shaman you have to hope they didn't get a good draw, or they just beat you on six no matter what you're paying.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3820 (isolation #242) » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:13 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

You aren't even a little true!
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3822 (isolation #243) » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:58 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I play decks that have actual gameplay in them.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3824 (isolation #244) » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:04 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

You can disenchant GvG, too. And in 6 months, you can disenchant Blackrock.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3826 (isolation #245) » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:29 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

It's been my experience that the meta is mostly Dragon Warrior and Aggro Shaman now. Although between Dragon Warrior, Control Warrior, and Cthun Warrior, Warrior does have the most meta decks right now. I think that's why Hunter has seen a resurgence, since it matches up well against Warrior.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3830 (isolation #246) » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:32 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Sure, but I hate dusting stuff that's in Standard cause I might use it someday, you know? But I don't imagine I'm going to play Wild, so once it rotates, fuck it.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3832 (isolation #247) » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:03 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Yeah. Rotated adventure cards can be crafted and dusted like normal cards.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3834 (isolation #248) » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:12 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Nope. Once they rotate out of standard, the adventure gets taken out of the store, the cards stop being soul-bound, and anybody can craft them. Otherwise, new players could never get their Sludge Belchers.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3836 (isolation #249) » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:35 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Maelstrom portal looks alright, probably not better than existing two drops. Spirit Claws could be good if control shaman becomes a real deck.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3838 (isolation #250) » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:56 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Beast Druid got some good stuff too. Mage and Paladin got a card apiece, though how good the Paladin one will actually be is questionable. Some of the yet-to-be-released Legendaries could be impactful (Barnes, Medivh). Everything else is pretty meh, though.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3840 (isolation #251) » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:54 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I feel like "Beast Druid is going to be top-tier" is something that was said after the last two releases, too, and nothing happened. Menagerie Warden has the potential to be legit insane, though, so maybe that'll finally push it over the top. I think the real question is going to be whether Beast Druid is going to be better than Yogg/Token Druid, though.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3842 (isolation #252) » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:30 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 3841, PJ. wrote:
In post 3840, Sudo_Nym wrote:Menagerie Warden
I think copying a savage combatant is very good, yes
Yeah, but that makes it draw dependent. You have to get a beast, drop it, and then have it come back to your turn still alive to get value off it. It's the same problem that Houndmaster, Ram Wrangler, and Mark of Yshaarj have: if you can't stick a beast, it's a terrible card. Menagarie Warden should be able to synergize with Stranglethorn Tiger thanks to the stealth, but I imagine there's going to be some amount of times you get stuck dropping an Enchanted Raven to copy or even getting no value off it at all. It has the potential to be really insane, but we'll find out in the coming month or so.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3845 (isolation #253) » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:29 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Barnes does seem to be a lot better than anticipated. I don't know if Resurrect Priest will still be good when the meta settles down, but Barnes has pretty good synergy with a lot of stuff (Ragnaros, Malygos, basically anything with deathrattle). I think the best thing I've seen so far was Miracle Rogue with Barnes, where it's ridiculously good for Barnes to fetch any of Tomb Pillager, Auctioneer, Malygos, or Thaurissan.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3846 (isolation #254) » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:40 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So I decide to go back and try the heroics for this adventure. Take an hour to beat Chess and Big Bad Wolf, beat everything else in 5 minutes. Is it always like that, or am I just really bad at Hearthstone Chess?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3848 (isolation #255) » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:11 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Chess was a combination of bad draws and not understanding the strategy for me. I tried playing too much board control in the first games, like I did in the normal Chess, only to run out of reach too fast, so I had to try again and push face more. Then I had to deal with my queen being on the bottom of the deck. Took a bit, but I manage to get a good draw and figure out what was going on eventually. That part was time consuming, but not too bad.

Then Big Bad Wolf was frustrating as hell, because it was something like 4 games in a row he played double stranglethorn on t1, then double creatures on t2, into savage roar t3 for the kill. Took me a bit of trying to fiddle with Druid before I switched to Hunter and managed to counter his Savage Roar with Explosive Trap, and then coast to victory off that.

Meanwhile, I beat the Crone on t5 by playing Divine Spirit-Inner Fire-Faceless Shambler in a row. The balance is all over the place.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3853 (isolation #256) » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:05 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Purify OP nerf plox
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3862 (isolation #257) » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:59 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'm still not convinced that protest will be top tier when the meta settles, but at least it's a real class now.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3870 (isolation #258) » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:54 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

And that's why I'm saying Aggro Shaman is still going to be the top deck after release. There's plenty of decks that can do unfair things, but no deck has a good matchup against the Shaman nut draw.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3872 (isolation #259) » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:25 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

BRM is the only set that'll be rotating, I think, and the only Shaman cards from that set are Fireguard Destroyer and Lava Shock, which I don't think is going to give Shamans much trouble.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3874 (isolation #260) » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:49 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I forget how the rotation works, and whether TGT and BRM rotate simultaneously or separately. But Aggro Shaman is going to be really hurt when TGT goes and takes Tuskarr Totemic and Totem Golem with it.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3876 (isolation #261) » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:08 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Trogg is from LoE, so it's staying until 2018.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3879 (isolation #262) » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:34 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

LoE came out earlier this year though, I thought? They said sets stay around for two years, which would imply that it's BRM and TGT that are rotating out, so the next standard will be LoE+WoToG+ONiK and then whatever comes out next year. Who knows, though, since this is going to be the first real rotation.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3882 (isolation #263) » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:15 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

It seems like they should just rotate out whatever the last set out was when the new one comes in; that seems like a better solution for making sure cards get equal time in the limelight, rather than basing it around the calendar year.

But yeah, if we lose LoE as well, then we're saying goodbye to Anyfin, Rafaam, Entomb (cue Priests crying), Reno Jackson (kiss a Warlock archetype goodbye), Excavated Evil (haha Priest decks), Ethereal Conjurer, Elise Starseeker (Woo control matchups), Keeper of Uldaman, Tomb Pillager, Forgotten Torch, Brann Bronzebeard, Fierce Monkey, Mounted Raptor, Unearthed Raptor, Dark Peddler, Museum Curator (haha Priest decks), Sir Finley, and Tunnel Trogg. That's a lot of staple cards for various decks that are leaving the meta.

So now we have to figure out if Priest is going to be any good without Entomb or Excavated Evil, and whether Shaman will still be a class without Tunnel Trogg or Totem Golem.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3889 (isolation #264) » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:36 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So you Barnes, get baby Y'Shaarj, then real Y'Shaarj, and then nothing?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3893 (isolation #265) » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:04 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I suppose you're getting basically 14/15 on turn 4 if the deck actually works out, though I imagine you're getting really sad if you draw your Y'Shaarj before dropping Barnes or if the opponent can remove it on their turn. I imagine Executes and Polymorphs and the like are going to be huge problems, since you aren't drawing them out otherwise.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3899 (isolation #266) » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:43 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Bow down in praise to our Yogg overlord.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3926 (isolation #267) » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:21 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Wait, it's possible to get cards that aren't laughing sister out of Ysera? Obvious hax.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3928 (isolation #268) » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:39 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Any card game that involves shuffling is going to have that problem, though, chamber. A big part of the challenge of deckbuilding is trying to adjust the numbers so you get a reasonable curve for what your deck is trying to do. For that matter, a big challenge of the game play is that a lot of cards have non-deterministic outcomes, and you have to decide if their risks are going to be worth it when you play them, and if they're going to be good enough often enough to put into your deck in the first place. Not saying you can't get screwed off random results, or win games you should have lost the same way, but I like that the games have that element of chance to them. It's why I like Blood Bowl, for that matter.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3930 (isolation #269) » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:56 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Sure, and Hearthstone is experimenting with that with the Forbidden spells. But randomness is always going to be a part of the design, so ultimately, you either have to make your peace with it or move on, because there's never going to be a completely non-random meta.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3933 (isolation #270) » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:13 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'm not sure how easy it is to balance that sort of effect. Hearthstone in general seems to have trouble balancing things- like, I imagine Arcane Giant was supposed to be on roughly the same power level that Frost Giant is at, but that turned out differently than expected, too. I think Cabalist Tome was supposed to be comparable to Thistle Tea, but they didn't take into account how strong the average Mage spell really is. Meanwhile, if Cabalist Tome was in warlock, it probably wouldn't be near as good.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3943 (isolation #271) » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:34 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think Cabalist Tome is still probably the most unbalanced random effect- Mage spells are really good, so it averages to a "Draw 3 without getting closer to fatigue or depleting or resources", and it can generate copies of itself for bonus value.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3978 (isolation #272) » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:17 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I like the Rockbiter nerf, since it brings the card into line with the other "2 mana for 3 damage" cards that other classes have. Druids have Wrath at 2 mana, Warriors have Bash, Hunters have Quick Shot. All have upside, and Rockbiter's upside gets to be "Synergy with Windfury". Plus, they already have Lightning Bolt to cover the niche as well.

I also like that they didn't just nerf Shaman, they also pre-nerfed Warrior and Hunter that stand to gain the most from Shaman getting nerfed. And Druid also gets hit, since they were using Yogg as a powerful comeback mechanic/board reset, which is now a lot less reliable.

I'm curious about the Charge change, though, since it disables the OTK, but maybe makes Charge more of a utility removal? Like being able to drop a 1-mana charge on a Patron or something could be viable. I'm curious if it'll see play as maybe a 1-of in Control Warrior with Execute getting a cost-bump.

The Call of the Wild nerf is something I could go both ways on. On the one hand, CotW was definitely undercosted given the synergy that the companions have with each other. On the other hand, CotW was the only thing keeping Hunter really viable as a class. Nerfing both CotW and Abusive Sergeant seems like it really brings down the Hybrid Hunter, especially.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3980 (isolation #273) » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:25 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 3979, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:OTK warrior wasn't even oppressive in the ladder and they just banned it.

:/
I think it was nerfed more for being non-interactive than for being oppressive. That said, Blizzard's approach to non-interactive decks seems to be alarmingly arbitrary.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3993 (isolation #274) » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:27 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 3990, Shadoweh wrote:
In post 3978, Sudo_Nym wrote:I like the Rockbiter nerf, since it brings the card into line with the other "2 mana for 3 damage" cards that other classes have. Druids have Wrath at 2 mana, Warriors have Bash, Hunters have Quick Shot. All have upside, and Rockbiter's upside gets to be "Synergy with Windfury". Plus, they already have Lightning Bolt to cover the niche as well.
All those other 2 mana for 3 damage cards do something else though. Look at what Frostbolt does. Synergy with Windfury is an awful niche when the downside is having to smash your face into minions. Isn't it just generically worse then all those other cards?
Sure, but Windfury is Shaman's thing. Shaman also already has Lightning Bolt to do the same thing, so now you're forced to decide which of the two is better for your given deck.
GreyICE wrote:
In post 3989, PJ. wrote:Tempo deck.
Anything that runs Malygos is by definition not a Tempo deck.
In post 3991, PJ. wrote:Also bash cost 3
That's not the Warrior 3 damage for 2 mana card.
Right, my mistake. Warrior gets to go Win Axe into Bash. Same deal, though. It also means that Rockbiter weapon is basically a one-shot Win Axe that can also buff a creature or combo with Windfury.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3996 (isolation #275) » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:31 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Got my first alternate hero skin! Too bad Priest is hot garbage right now.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4009 (isolation #276) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:24 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I can see why they'd think Tuskarr would be okay. Shaman was pretty weak when it came out, and it wasn't unreasonable to give them a strong card like that, especially when getting the best result is random. That being said, you'd think they'd anticipate problems with getting a Golem or a Mana Tide off of it. I think if they'd done a better job of balancing the surrounding Shaman cards, it probably would have been like Shielded Minibot was for Paladin- a strong early drop, but not necessarily game-breaking.

What I really have a problem with is that they seem to be throwing randomness at the wall as an end in itself. I like an element of chance, but there's clearly a limit to the amount of variance that should be included in a game, especially a card game where drawing cards is automatically including an element of randomness.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4025 (isolation #277) » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:07 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

No Fool's Bane?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4037 (isolation #278) » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:40 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

The constructed mode tourney is horrible value, also. The prize structure is very underwhelming if you can't rattle off 6+ wins consistently.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4064 (isolation #279) » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:19 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Loaded Hearthstone up foot the first time this month. Same deal as last month for me, I think- can't wait for the new expansion to shake up this all shaman ladder.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4071 (isolation #280) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:00 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Standard meta is mostly Midrange Shaman. It's like Magic back during the Jund days- you either play Midrange Shaman, or you play a deck that beats Midrange Shaman. But given that Midrange Shaman has a 55% winrate according to the deck tracker, the only deck that really beats Midrange Shaman is the mirror.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4077 (isolation #281) » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:33 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

1 health dies to Maelstrom Portal, Whirlwind, Revenge, and Ravaging Ghoul even through stealth.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4083 (isolation #282) » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:58 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Just opened my preorder packs; got Wrathion, Auctionmaster Beardo, and golden White Eyes as legendaries.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4087 (isolation #283) » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:33 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Pirate Warrior feels dirty.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4088 (isolation #284) » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:08 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I have enough dust for one more legendary; can't decide between Raza the Chained or Wickerflame Burnbristle
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4093 (isolation #285) » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:04 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

To be fair, while they've released a lot of powerful aggro tools, especially for pirates, they've also released some very good midrange and control cards. Hopefully, once people figure out the optimal balance for the meta, we'll see things settle down. Until then, we're going to see the better aggro decks get fast wins as they feast on suboptimal greedy lists.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4103 (isolation #286) » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:22 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've seen Beardo in Shadow Priest decks, as a weird combo with Raza, but I don't know how actually good that is. Sally seems like it should be good in Warlock and Paladin control decks, but so far even they don't seem to want to play it, since they've already got more reliable board clear elsewhere.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4110 (isolation #287) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:09 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So Miracle Rogue is a pretty fun deck to play.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4113 (isolation #288) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:21 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I was pretty meh on patches, too, but having played with him for a while now, I'm really impressed. Free 1/1 with charge, target for Cold Blood, and deck thinning. What's not to love?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4115 (isolation #289) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:25 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Tempo mage can probably work. Start with the early game pirates, follow up with Flamewaker and Faceless Shaman.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4117 (isolation #290) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:42 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

It can't really run pirates, but it can run Arcane Missiles, Flamewaker, and Twilight Flamecaller, all of which are good against Pirates. I think you could still make a good tempo mage deck, though I don't guarantee that it'll be quality.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4119 (isolation #291) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:05 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

That is a little weird, yeah. Even aggro shaman, which had the best early game pre-Gadgetzan, is now running Pirates because they're so good. Not really sure what to make of it, but at least we've got both good aggro and good control in this meta, which is a lot better than the pre-expansion Shamanstone we were at.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4135 (isolation #292) » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:22 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Patches is still an okay t1 play, but he's usually the worst t1 play in the decks that include him. Still, though, if you have 1 mana, there's no point to not playing him, usually.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4139 (isolation #293) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:34 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

That's the point, though- Kazakus is supposed to be powerful so that Reno will be a thing. Without Kazakus, Reno Mage just folds to aggro.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4141 (isolation #294) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:53 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So new nerf announcements for the next patch: Small-Time Buccaneer being changed to one health, and Spirit Claws increased to 2 mana. Also, level floors being introduced at ranks 5, 10, and 15.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4145 (isolation #295) » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:44 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

With Azure drake gone, what do you play in the 5 drop spot?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4147 (isolation #296) » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:38 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Dragon Priest is gone after rotation anyway. Without BRM, all Dragon Priest has left as playables are drakonid op, the 1/3 discover, and maybe book wyrm.

I don't think drake was excellent, really, it's just that it's a good card in a spot with no competition. Ragnaros creates a similar problem at eight. I suppose we are at least getting to find out whether Lotus Agents is playable.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4151 (isolation #297) » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:39 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 4150, Shadoweh wrote:If I craft a Ragnaros right now, you think I'd still get the free dust?
Yes. In fact, you could spend 3200 right now, craft a golden Rag, then get your dust back and either keep it for wild, or dissident and get a free 1600 dust.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4154 (isolation #298) » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:23 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

The cards from the classic set that are getting put into the "Hall of Fame", so they won't be Standard legal anymore- Azure Drake, Sylvanas Windrunner, Ragnaros the Firelord, Power Overwhelming, Ice Lance, and Conceal. They'll be Wild only cards from here on out, but part of the deal is that if you own them, you'll be refunded their dust cost, and you'll get to keep the card; so, if you have a regular Sylvanas, you'll get 400 dust as if you'd disenchanted it, except that you keep the Sylvanas. But you only get the dust for up to as many cards as you could play in a deck, starting with the most expensive- so if you have a regular Sylvanas and a golden Sylvanas, you'll only get the dust for the golden, since you could only play 1 Sylvanas is a deck, and the golden one is worth more dust.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4159 (isolation #299) » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:02 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 4156, xRECKONERx wrote:no like

you get full dust for the cards when they rotate and you don't have to dust them
Right, I misstated. You get the 1600 dust back for Sylvanas, not 400. So you do get it for free, plus you get to keep the card. What I was meaning to say is that you can craft for 1600, then get your 1600 dust back, and either keep the card for wild, or disenchant it for a bonus 400 dust.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4163 (isolation #300) » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:45 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

That is unfortunate. They were talking about making Wild a more relevant format, but Arena was one of the few places where Wild actually saw real action. And now they're changing that, so what's the deal with Wild now?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4166 (isolation #301) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:30 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

There is a wild ladder, though.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4202 (isolation #302) » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:56 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Also, free gold Volcanosaur if you log in today.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4207 (isolation #303) » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:03 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think the Quest is a lot easier to complete than they expected. I don't know if things will get better as decklists get more refined and maybe can deal with the quest, but it's not particularly difficult to have the rogue quest completed by turn 4-5, and there are videos of people completed on t2. I can only assume that Blizzard thought it wouldn't be near that consistent.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4213 (isolation #304) » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:00 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

The only thing stopping me from calling it completely busted is that it doesn't kill you faster than pirates does. So I'm not sure if it's actually OP, or if it's preying on overly greedy and inefficient decks.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4299 (isolation #305) » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:55 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Based on the streamers I watch, legend meta right now is Murloc Pally, because it beats Druid, and then Druid, because it beats everything else.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4303 (isolation #306) » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:35 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Exodia Mage is the new Quest Rogue. It's a deck that doesn't actually have that good a win rate, but because it has a high skill floor, it'll get spammed on ladder and be really annoying to play against.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4311 (isolation #307) » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:26 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So I beat the Lich King first try with standard Jade Druid. Maybe that deck is overpowered...
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4313 (isolation #308) » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:37 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Jade Druid is good enough to win fairly easily; Evolve Shaman can do it, too. And Murloc Aggro for any class that's not Hunter, Warlock, or Druid can overrun him before he gets Frostmorne. But, yeah, beating him "properly" basically requires a deck specially built for the purpose. Took me forever to do it with Hunter, since you can't cheese him with Murlocs and you can't really clear his board post Frostmorne very well.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4315 (isolation #309) » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:13 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I basically won the Hunter matchup by getting Crackling Razormaw to put Windfury on a hyena, then playing as many spells that summon beasts as I could. Had to restart a dozen times to get it down in time to work, but it worked eventually.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4326 (isolation #310) » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:26 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think Ungoro was actually really good- every class had at least one viable deck, and most had two or three. Not all tier one, granted, but there was almost certainly something competitive you could play at your given budget. Now Frozen Throne has made it so there's maybe 8 viable decks, and three of them are Druid decks. You either play one of those, or you lose.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if we got a patch nerfing either Ultimate Infestation or Spreading Plague before too long. When you look at the results of stuff like Blizzcon, and literally every player brought Druid as part of the lineup, it's clear that something is OP.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4330 (isolation #311) » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:49 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 4327, PJ. wrote:Okay they nerf those two cards, and knock druid way down the list, you don't even get enough dust to craft the must-have class orange for the deck you want to switch for, and God forbid you want to play paladin, cause all those decks have 3 or more class oranges in them.
I meant more along the lines of "The only decks that are viable right now are the ones that have lots of power in them, because you're either Druid or you have to beat Druid, and you only beat Druid by overpowering them." Druid's a deck right now that doesn't really have any trouble dealing with tempo, so you only beat it getting your power out fast enough, and that means running a lot of legendaries to get that power. If the power level of Druid comes down, more decks that focus more on tempo and less on combo become viable, at which point you can start playing decks that have fewer legends in them.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4447 (isolation #312) » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:09 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Curve is way more important in Arena; often you don't want to be playing for value, you want to be playing for tempo almost all the time. 2 and 3 drops should be considered more valuable, since you always want to hit those drops for tempo, and later in the game, you can drop a creature or two and still tap, which is highly valuable.

From a value standpoint, though, you only need three wins to break even- at the three win mark, the prizes you get for your 150 gold are better than what you'd have gotten spending it on a pack, so you've come out ahead at that point. Also, I tend to average about 4 wins in Arena, so take my advice with some salt.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4470 (isolation #313) » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:06 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

From what I know, that was supposed to be a Treasure from the dungeon mode, not usable outside single player content.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4501 (isolation #314) » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:13 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Ah man, I got Aluneth as my free legend weapon
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4513 (isolation #315) » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:26 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Turns out that giving your opponent two free turns is pretty bad.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4516 (isolation #316) » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:06 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Everybody's excited to see if Warlock is playable again.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4519 (isolation #317) » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:11 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Between Patches and Bonemare and now Corridor Creeper, you can probably build a reasonable aggro deck in any class.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4521 (isolation #318) » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:43 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think consensus is that Warrior is the hardest class to beat the dungeon run, because the hero power is weak and the starting deck is super bad.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4529 (isolation #319) » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:57 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've beaten it with Pally, basically using the same strategy as above- I got a bunch of silver hand stuff with the Invisibility Cloak and Justiciar's Ring, plus Sunkeeper Tarim, a couple Equalities, and so forth, and just face-raced every boss.

As for Trapped Room, I haven't beaten it, because the only time I've seen it was on my very first run. But I did watch DisguisedToast beat it:
Spoiler:
According to the video, the description "Don't touch anything" is actually a hint- Trapped Room only has a handful of minions, and otherwise relies on the hero power to summon stuff. So just sit back, kill whatever minions it summons using spells, if possible, but take as few actions as possible to avoid triggering secrets. There's a maximum of five secrets that each player can have in play, so eventually the Trapped Room's hand will fill with secrets it can't play, and everything else, including the creatures hopefully, will just mill out. By the time you reach Trapped Room, which I think can only spawn as room 7, you've got more cards in your deck than it does, so once it's in mill mode, you just have to click end turn until it dies of fatigue.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4536 (isolation #320) » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:56 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I feel like the solution to most of the bosses in the game is to get the Stealth treasure and SMOrc.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4557 (isolation #321) » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:50 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 4549, Thestatusquo wrote:I'm up to 4 on ladder right now with big priest and I keep getting crushed what do to hit those last 4 ranks
Play Cubelock
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4632 (isolation #322) » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:49 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've started playing aggro hunter, and frankly, it feels like a worse version of tempo rogue.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4634 (isolation #323) » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:15 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Aggro and Secret Hunter are basically the same deck at this point. Aggro is still playing Cloaked Huntress and the Spellstone, they just play an overall lower curve.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4658 (isolation #324) » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:07 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Also, remember that card from old adventures are dustable now, if you've got Curse of Naxramas or whatever.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4682 (isolation #325) » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:11 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

If you have HSReplay, they have win percentage for their decks broken down by mulligan.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4684 (isolation #326) » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:16 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Right, HSReplay won't replace thinking, but it'll give you a reasonable bead on what cards are likely keeps and likely mulls, and then you have to figure out the rest yourself.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4685 (isolation #327) » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:32 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Looks like we're getting some nerfs next month! Short version:
- Bonemare cost increased to 8
- Corridor Creeper's attack reduced to 2
- Patches loses Charge
- Raza reduces hero power cost to 1
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4686 (isolation #328) » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:36 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So I guess Cubelock is super happy?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4692 (isolation #329) » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:03 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Bonemare still seems okay? Not great, but okay. It's upside at 7 was ridiculous, though.

The Corridor Creeper nerf seems to basically delete it from the game, though. It was always a mediocre card to topdeck late, and now it's only worthwhile if you can get it early to reduce the cost, and even then your payoff is just a 2/5 beast.

Patches losing Charge means its summon cry is no longer a pun, which is terrible. But this was justified as trying to prevent Patches from dominating Wild. I don't know enough about Wild to know if Patches is really dominating there, though.

Raza is similar- they want to nerf the combo in standard, and tone it down for the rotation in wild. It does mean that Raza priest can no longer one-shot you, which maybe helps other control decks? But it also makes life easier for CubeLock, which now no longer has to worry about getting one shot in the late game against priest.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4716 (isolation #330) » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:18 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Aya's good, but will be rotating in a couple months. Warlock DK is really good, and will be around for another year, and is a big part of what's almost certainly the best deck right now.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4728 (isolation #331) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:26 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I feel like you'd be more likely to make legend if you won your win and ins for legend instead of losing them.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4730 (isolation #332) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:12 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

That's just a little wisdom from me to you, offered for free in celebration of my eleventh scumday
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4735 (isolation #333) » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:27 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think the problem with Control Hunter is that they have no good CA. Blizzard keeps giving Hunter big finishers and removal options, but they've never given Hunter any good tools for drawing cards, and that's really what Hunter needs to put together a consistent control deck.

Dollmaster Dorian is a card I think is getting really overhyped; it's not like Barnes, which pulls a 1/1 from your deck automatically. Dorian needs to actually hit on a creature you've drawn, which means you can't just drop it on 5, because the opponent will just kill it. You have to drop it when you can draw cards immediately, and then hope that you'll hit something useful with it. It's a powerful effect, potentially, and you shouldn't overlook a potentially powerful effect, but I think people are underestimating how much more difficult using it is compared to Barnes.

That said, we've seen some good cards; nothing too mindblowing, but certainly solid cards like Rotten Applebaum that could be solid roleplayers.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4737 (isolation #334) » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:10 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

True. I just think that the cards that we're most likely to see from this set are the solid roleplayers rather than the big flashy cards. Most of the flashy cards, like Dorian, are underwhelming, while a lot of the smaller cards are less impressively but probably better costed. Lady in White is probably the only legend that's struck me as a worthwhile build-around so far.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4739 (isolation #335) » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:26 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Dude Paladin is keeping most of it's core, as well.

I don't necessarily mind overall power level going down, though. Maybe that will let Shaman and Warrior sneak back into the meta.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4743 (isolation #336) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:53 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Witchwood haul: Tess Greymane, Splintergraft, Azalina Soulthief, Archmage Arugel, Hagatha the Witch, Emeriss, Darius Crowley. Not terrible, though I think only like 3 of them are playable.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4748 (isolation #337) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:09 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 4744, Klick wrote:Did you get all of that with just the pre-order? That's insane. I got Splintergraft, Toki, Emeriss and Prince Liam, all garbage.
Pre-order, plus all the gold I'd been saving for the last few months. One was a freebie, the other was just good luck on the pack openings, I guess.

Prince Liam is probably okay, I think, and Toki has some potential. Splintergraft and Emeriss probably are med, though.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4750 (isolation #338) » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

You two should post your battle tags so we can all add you
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4767 (isolation #339) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:17 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So I was playing rogue, and pulled a Glinda Crowskin off a Blink Fox, then finished an opponent by playing Glinda+four Southsea Deckhands for lethal. That was pretty nice.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4772 (isolation #340) » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:33 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

From a purely power standpoint, I think it's fine- it's a lot like exodia mage, it's a deck that makes highlight reels because of the spectacular kills, but is very skill intensive in actual play, and the win rate is low across the board. It's just the fact that the animations can take three minutes per turn make it so annoying.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4776 (isolation #341) » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Ye
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4783 (isolation #342) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:27 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Warlock is still probably the best class, especially against aggro. The deck is all AOE and cheating out voidlords.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4785 (isolation #343) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:56 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I haven't played Hand Druid yet, but based on the streams I've watched, it seems to be a deck that's great against any deck without AOE, and rolls over to any deck with AOE. Warlock, Priest with Psychic Scream, and Paladins with Equality all walk on it, but it can stomp anything else.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4806 (isolation #344) » Fri May 25, 2018 10:27 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Is Genn worth crafting? It seems Even may be better than Odd in the meta.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4815 (isolation #345) » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:11 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Vicious Syndicate is saying that Quest Warrior is the top deck.

I actually really like the meta right now. It feels like every class has at least one, and usually two, viable decklists.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4825 (isolation #346) » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:27 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

You can also stand their Shudderwock- they need to have space in their hand for the Wocky when it bounces, so you can make things awkward by filling their hand with removal they can't use.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4831 (isolation #347) » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:38 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

mb53, start a driving blog.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4842 (isolation #348) » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:42 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So it turns out Druid is way easier to beat when they don't draw Spreading Plague.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4844 (isolation #349) » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:48 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I only play constructed. Never really got a handle on Arena, though I know it's better EV than buying packs.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4847 (isolation #350) » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:01 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I couldn't tell exactly, because it was over on T7 before he played any signature cards, but my guess based on what I saw would be Taunt Druid, or maybe Big Druid. He got off a lot of ramp, but no actually action. If he's Hadronoxing, he wouldn't have had the Plague to being with.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4850 (isolation #351) » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:40 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I would strongly advise against enchanting or disenchanting anything for the first month after the expansion drops. Too many people, including yours truly, get burned by spending dust on the hot new legendary, only for it to be unplayable when the meta settles.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4854 (isolation #352) » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:13 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Zoolock feels really good. Soul Infusion on a Doubling Imp just feels dirty.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4872 (isolation #353) » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:27 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'd be down. I'm okay with Whizbang, though he is banned from "real" tournaments.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4875 (isolation #354) » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:06 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Right, the problem with Wizbang isn't that he's broken (most of the decklists are playable, just really unoptimized), it's that he's an organizational nightmare for a BO5 format tournament, and organizers decided that banning a card that probably nobody wanted to play anyway was less of a hassle than finding a workaround.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4882 (isolation #355) » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:03 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Typically, the counter to a combo deck is "aggro their face before they combo". In the current meta, that generally means that you're either playing aggro or playing combo, since midrange and control decks tend to just die to combo because they can't pressure enough. Except for Warlock, which is the only class in standard with hand disruption right now.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4891 (isolation #356) » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:38 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So we're getting balance changes:

Wild Growth now costs three
Nourish now costs six
Level Up! now costs six
Saronite Chain Gang summons a basic Saronite Chain Gang instead of a copy
Leeching Poison now costs one, but only gives Lifesteal for one turn

So it looks like they're weakening Druid ramp, taking a power card out of Odd Paladin, taking away the infinite Shudderwock combo, and lowering Kingsbane's power level.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4894 (isolation #357) » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:31 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 4892, PJ. wrote:Not to mention taking power out of prince kaladesh and the warlock 1 cost buff thing.
And even Pally, which I think still plays Valy sometimes.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4897 (isolation #358) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:46 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

More balance changes coming:

Cold Blood costs 2
Flametongue Totem costs 3
Equality costs 4
Hunter's Mark costs 2
Lesser Emerald Spellstone costs 6

So it looks like they're trying to weaken Aggro burst mostly, and Hunter generally.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4902 (isolation #359) » Sun May 19, 2019 2:10 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Bomb Warrior is okay to play, but is really only unfair against Rogue. Control Warrior has been a miserable experience on both sides. Control Warrior games, you either get blown up in 5 minutes, or you win but it takes half an hour.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4904 (isolation #360) » Mon May 20, 2019 7:22 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Bomb Hunter gets eaten by Druid, Hunter, and Mage, though. Anything that can pump out a big board quickly, really.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4907 (isolation #361) » Tue May 21, 2019 6:18 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So we're getting nerfs!

EVIL Miscreant goes to 4 health from 5
Raiding Party goes to 4 mana
Preparation only gives 2 mana discount
Archivist Elysiana goes to 9 mana

So it seems it's mostly about reducing Rogue power in the current meta, as well as killing the combo with Elysiana and Baleful Banker/Youthful Brewmaster.

Then in June we're getting buffs:
Gloop Sprayer to 7 mana
Munchmulcher to 9 mana
Necromechanic to 4 mana
Flark's Boom-Zooka to 7 mana
Unexpected Results to 3 mana
Luna's Pocket Galaxy to 5 mana
Crystology to 1 mana
Glowstone Technician to 5 mana
Extra Arms to 2 mana
Cloning Device to 1 mana
Pogo-Hopper to 1 mana
Violet Haze to 2 mana
The Storm Bringer to 6 mana
Thunderhead becomes a 3/6
Spirit Bomb to 1 mana
Dr. Morrigan to 6 mana
Security Rover becomes a 2/6
Berylium Nullifer becomes a 4/8

So it looks like they're also trying to diversify the meta by pushing alternate archetypes?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4909 (isolation #362) » Tue May 21, 2019 7:24 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Possible, but I think this is first time since the beta that Team 5 has buffed cards instead of nerfing others, so I assume that they're doing this to diversify the meta without having to drop more hammers.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #4911 (isolation #363) » Tue May 21, 2019 10:11 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I also find it telling that almost all of the cards getting buffed are cards that pushed Blizzard-approved archetypes that didn't pan out in actual play- Mulchmuncher for Treat Druid, for example. I wonder if that signals more buffs in the future if the design team plans out deck archetypes that don't wind up working.

Return to “The Arcade”