Nintendo Switch hype thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Nintendo Switch hype thread

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:43 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

the NX is the Switch

this thing looks coooooooool.

Highlights from the trailer:
- Zelda Breath of the Wild
- New Mario game in the style of Mario 64 / Sunshine (yassssssss!)
- New Mario Kart (featuring King Boo and two item slots... Double Dash 2?????)
- Either an updated Splatoon or a sequel (easily the best new IP Nintendo has launched in years)
- NBA 2K17 (SPORTS RETURN TO NINTENDO? PLZ. I MISS MADDEN.)
- Skyrim
Last edited by xRECKONERx on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #8 (isolation #1) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:18 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 3, inte wrote:any $$ yet? i hope they don't try to compete in the AAA market
none yet but id bet on 299ish
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #14 (isolation #2) » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:46 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

eh, i'm an adult so i'm not worried about losing pieces. i also dunno how you'd lose pieces since they're basically going to be latched to the controller or the tablet.

i like multiple control schemes. i think that has been a strength of the Wii/Wii U -- you can have a bunch of different games played different ways. the tiny controllers don't look much worse than the sideways Wiimote option, and plus, you'll only be using those for couch co-op multiplayer, which usually isn't continuous hours of gaming

the couch coop is awesome. i love it. and that's why i buy Nintendo consoles. the third party support is GREAT. i'm glad to see them moving in that direction.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #20 (isolation #3) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:33 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

holy shit, finally.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #21 (isolation #4) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:35 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

great summary of all the points making me excited for this console
1) It's powered by a chipset that is rumored to be an NV Pascal chip. That's the same chip as in the GTX10xx series. In case you haven't been up on PC hardware lately, NV effectively stopped producing separate mobile chips and branding them differently because the GTX1060 / 1070 / 1080 use so little power as to be mobile chips, but with crazy performance. This could easily have a GTX1060-level-based chip in it, and it would get 50-80 FPS at 1080p ultra detail in modern games, putting it on par with Xbox One (non-Scorpio) / PS4 (non-Pro).

2) The need for parentheses above is SUPER important, and not as a diss on it. Why? Every other generation where Nintendo has launched a console 3 years later than its competition, the competition released a new console within the 6 months to a year after that was a generation ahead, new engines were developed to use that hardware, and they weren't able to be optimized for the poor old Nintendo hardware. That meant Nintendo only had third party support for a year.

But MS and Sony starting an upgradeable generation means that, while it's great for gamers on those systems, it's even BETTER for Nintendo. See, for once, MS and Sony are requiring games on their consoles to be compatible on one disc with both, with just better graphics on the higher end. That means engines have to be developed for the original Xbox One and PS4 hardware for the foreseeable future - hardware that Nintendo now has hardware on par with. That means third party games will be able to thrive on it performance-wise, and third parties won't have to shy away like Wii / Wii U.

3) Why else have third parties fled from Nintendo? Because you couldn't just make a port. The consoles didn't ship with controllers on par with the competition, they either required total redo or an add-on accessory few bought (Wii), or touchscreen added to not be lambasted in reviews that drive down metacritic score and sales (Wii U), which industry insiders have said publishers require to be a certain level or developers don't receive full money. Other than graphics, why did we see lots of ports between Xbox 360 / PS3 / PC and Xbox One / PS4 / PC, but not Wii / Wii U? Because no one wanted to invest the extra cost in "remastering" their game with special gimmick controls. Switch? No such problem. Look at the controller - it's a straight up Xbox One controller, the same standard used on PC and Xbox One, and nearly interchangeable with PS4 as far as buttons and inputs go. And there's no gimmicks to cause your game to bomb if you don't implement them, like using two screens no other consoles have, or implementing touch or motion. So while Nintendo may have those tricks up their sleeve, they're not selling on that, and reviewers will be basing their reviews accordingly, not penalizing ports for not doing anything special. It's on even expectation grounds as Xbox One / PS4, which means ports are easy, which means third party support.

4) Why else will it get third party support? Again, more standardization. Today, more than in the Wii era, games are built on a series of fewer and fewer middleware platforms, and almost (if not all) the biggies committed support today:

CryEngine is onboard
Unreal Engine 4 is onboard
Unity is onboard
Havok is onboard
EA didn't explicitly claim Frostbite support, but they showed FIFA 17, which is built on Frostbite. Unless they're doing a special one-and-done version on a different engine, EA is on board.

The only major engines I can think of that haven't confirmed yet are the idtech engines (though Bethesda, now owner of the tech, showed they are standing behind it with Skyrim, so that's likely in the future), and Source (if you look at the list of Source games in the last few years, it's becoming niche and isn't a major player anymore).

Together, 2-4 are HUGE. If engine and middleware support is there, hardware is on par with other consoles, and controls don't require special handling to port, the third party ecosystem has little reason not to be there as long as it sells. The death knell of the Wii (after the novelty wore off) and the Wii U (from the beginning), not enough quality games outside of Nintendo first parties, becomes a non-issue and gives this thing legs. But there's more...

5) Can you say more amazing first party games? And I don't mean like "of course, new console, there will be new games." I mean MORE games. Nintendo doesn't have to split its first and second party studios into portable and console teams anymore. Those studios can make double the games now, since they're writing for both the portable and home system in one release. This could mean a return of franchises that we've seen die off, e.g Metroid Prime - those games were incredibly big to make, and what happened when Nintendo had to split that team into two? We got simpler Donkey Kong games that could be made on a reasonable schedule by smaller teams.

Where we don't see double the games, we'll see studios taking the same time to make CRAZY huge or polished games. See the new Zelda. Hint: Nintendo has only had to focus their core team capable of making a Zelda game on one game, not two games for different targets / markets.

6) Look at the design of the thing. Industrial, relatively fragile looking. This isn't a kid-marketed product. How many kids did you see in the release trailer? Oh, none? Nintendo is marketing this at adults. They know their market has grown up and kids are entertained by iPad and iPhone games now, and they've partnered with Apple and licensed to third party developers on that side to meet that "dumbed down" games need. Now they can focus on making broad-audience games, and they lose the "Nintendo is for kids; Sony and Microsoft are for real gamers" mass mentality that keeps their sales limited. Want more evidence? Skyrim Remastered. On a HANDHELD. Enjoy taking non-epic shits while you can, because once this drops, every break to take a deuce and play your handheld (don't lie, you do it with a 3DS now) will be accompanied by adventure and heroic questing. (I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow... while... I... peed?)

7) That same "more focused on adults" marketing? If that stays a focus, they've solved the "but KIDS play on Nintendo! Won't somebody think of the kids?!" that has ruined their online play platforms by restricting communication between players to pre-approved, pre-made 20 character chat type communication bound to a d-pad for all online play. Nintendo has a real ID system in place now too, with the Nintendo ID, not janky friend codes. They have the pieces in play (if they ACTUALLY finally stop screwing up and lagging on the social part of gaming online in their system software) to build a network on par with PSN. I don't think they'll be as solid as XBL - Microsoft is just too strong in cloud services and collaboartion technology, but they could be on par with PSN, and for many (e.g. online FPS, etc.) that's good enough.

8) That screen is RIPE to be a touchscreen. In portable mode, we're talking ports of mobile games potentially. Watch Nintendo's bottom line go through the roof if that happens. It would also open the door for likely ability to do indie dev via an app store, if they're smart. I will say this is the least likely item on the list, if not for the fact of "how do you use the touchscreen if games are made for it while you've got it docked." But notice that the controllers can be used independently in the video. Take a CLOSE look at the bottom of the screen. See that dark spot? Dead giveaway of an IR receiver. Now look even more closely to the back of the controller halves, opposite side of the small button. See that pinhole? Too small to be a screwhole - if a screw that small was used, they'd just seal it. That's likely an IR emitter. That gives you positional relative tracking, ala a Wiimote, but in reverse (in Wii / Wii U, the sensor bar was the emitter, and the controllers were the camera. Here, it's the opposite. Now, as to how the controllers could judge direction when there's only one IR point to judge against, I'm not sure. That's where I say less likely for this one). But if that's true, then you could point when docked to use the controller in Wiimote style to activate touch functionality.

9 - bonus because apparently I can't count and I can't edit titles) Capacity isn't the death of this thing like N64 vs. PS1 (max 64 MB cartridges vs. FF8 at 2.6 GB potential storage across 4 650 MB discs, for MUCH chepaer to press a CD at a few cents than the 20+ bucks 64 MB flash cost back then), like Gamecube vs. PS2 / Xbox (1.x GB mini discs vs DVD at up to 9 GB), Wii vs. Xbox 360 / PS3 (9 GB DVD put it on par with Xbox 360, but far less than PS4's 25-50 GB BluRays), and even Wii U (25 GB custom disc media vs. PS4 and Xbox One using 50GB capable Blu-Ray).

Write-once Flash ROM is way cheaper than it used to be (as cheap as pressing a disc? No. But ridiculously expensive for 50GB? Also no.) As far as cartridges go, Nintendo can match the size needed for single games now for the first time with Sony and Microsoft since back when they were competing with Sega in the 16-bit era. Yet another reason we won't see third parties shying away, or gimped games because of Nintendo's short-sightedness.

And compared to Blu-Ray's maximum read speed of 27 MB/s on the PS4, flash ROM is capable of ridiciulously fast speeds. No need to wait for games to install from disc before you can play them. Nintendo could either go with cheap flash cards that are super high capacity - FAR bigger than their competition can do on a disc, or much faster cards and eliminate load times at more reasonable size for smaller games. This is a competitive advantage they've never had.

(Now, one area I am concerned about is digital download. While there are USB ports on the console base, obviously you undock it and lose storage, what happens? Game pauses? Console only lets you play a game from digital download if it's on the SD card, and when you launch it it does a quick sync over USB 3 from the hard drive? Unliekly. Those questions remain to be answered.)

Third party support being not only feasible, but likely? Check. Understanding their demographic has grown up? Check. Having the flexibility to take it on the go, or play it at home, to fit my older, more travel-filled lifecycle? Check. Ability to produce even more (or the same amount at even better quality / depth) of Nintendo's amazing first party games than before? Check.

If Nintendo doesn't screw up the digital distribution, pricing, or online gaming frameworks / limitations, they just took back the market for anyone that's not all about the "but all mah gamez MUST be in teh 4Ks!"

From now to March feels like an eternity again, for the first time since those 5 minutes on December 25, 1996, but this time, I couldn't be happier that time's moving so slow. If it's got my jaded self excited after all these years, then Nintendo's back, baby. It's about damn time.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #23 (isolation #5) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:03 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

i mean they already announced they're using an nvidia chipset for the first time in order to make the mobile gaming possible. they've used ATI/AMD as long as I can remember but Nvidia's chipset is what allowed the Nvidia Shield to exist, so I'm hopeful
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #33 (isolation #6) » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:31 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

it probably won't affect virtual console but...was anyone really expecting this to be backwards compatible any other way? like...........it's cartridge based
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #60 (isolation #7) » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:12 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

bomberman/zelda is enough for me tbh

mk8 in april is fine

my Wii U primarily gets used for party games as is so like Mk8/bomberman and a mario party-esque game will be fine
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #64 (isolation #8) » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:35 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

idk i'd expect this to be another case of nintendo releasing 3-4 outstanding first party titles per year with like a sprinkling of party games and decent 3rd party titles throughout

that's all i really want. i dont need a game per month or anything like that. if i buy one game every 2-3 months for my nintendo console, im happy.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #68 (isolation #9) » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:48 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

Not a good post-reveal day for the Switch. Reconsidering getting one. Might just get Breath of the Wild on the Wii U and call it a good run for Nintendo.
- Only 5 launch titles
- One launch title is a Wii Sports style hardware demo (sold separately)
- Two launch titles are ports from older generation
- One is a Bomberman remake that looks like it belongs on Gamecube (dat framerate drop though)
- Extra controllers are $80 each
- Grips for the joycon are $30 (bringing the price for a full second controller to $110)
- Paid online service will get you one free NES/SNES a month...that then expires at the end of that month
- Voice chat requires a smartphone app to use
- Virtual console purchases don't carry over
- Internal storage is only 32GB (and Zelda alone will eat up over half of that)
- No console/software bundles
- Third party launch support is "EA will release FIFA" and "Bethesda will release a 5 year old game in about a year"
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #75 (isolation #10) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:44 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Because I might want the option to play a party game with four people (2 joycons) or the option to play something heavier with two full controllers?

Otherwise, I'm looking at having to get 2 more Joycons for party games and then a separate additional pro controller
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #90 (isolation #11) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:48 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

not only is voice chat done thru a smartphone app, MATCHMAKING will be done via that app as well

this keeps getting worse
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #101 (isolation #12) » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:47 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

PS4/XB1 at launch both had more launch titles, more third party support, more entertainment apps, more storage space, and better graphics.

This makes two Nintendo console cycles within the same generation that aren't as powerful as the other consoles in the current generation.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #140 (isolation #13) » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:58 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 139, Zachrulez wrote:Just went through Best Buy today. The Wii U version of Zelda was pretty bare while the Switch version had abundant copies. That doesn't say very flattering things about the Switch. These are actually the first two Wii U copies of the game I've even found at a retailer while the Switch versions are pretty easy to find.
it's because nintendo underproduced launch units AGAIN
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #145 (isolation #14) » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:00 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

the Wii U sold 890,000 units in 6 weeks

what are you talking about
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #147 (isolation #15) » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:03 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

yeah if you combine US + Japan sales for the Wii U it comes out to around 1.5 million in the first six weeks

based on chamber's post above, it looks like the Switch is targeting 2mil sales in the first 3 weeks
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #154 (isolation #16) » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:10 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

i have a feeling the switch is going to outsell the Wii U by a lot, but that's a really low bar to clear. Nintendo really needs the Switch to move units like the Wii did, and I don't think we've seen it's capable of that yet
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #181 (isolation #17) » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:24 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

i got a switch.

botw is fucking astounding.
i can't stop playing it.
it's frustrating as shit at times. feels like the 3d equivalent of link to the past. no hand-holding, just an open world to explore and figure out what the hell you need to do.

also snipperclips! snipperclips is great.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #194 (isolation #18) » Fri May 05, 2017 3:12 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 193, chamber wrote:
In post 187, inte wrote:nonstop botw oWo. put like 20 hours into it rn

my only gripe is the constant reminders that the switch is underpowered by the slowdowns i get. sometimes you get like 25 fps in areas
Playing in portable mode I only got slow downs in 2 locations. Wont say which because spoilers. I heard there was more when running at 1080 instead of 720 though.
yeah i got like one or two moments of slowdown but nothing serious, even then it caught back up to full FPS pretty quickly

BOTW (not really spoilers but just to be safe)
Spoiler:
I probably put 30-40 hours into it... did half the shrines (60ish), all four Divine Beasts, completed all the memories, got the Master Sword, etc.
was disappointed by there not being a final dungeon, but it really kinda makes sense.
i literally thought the castle was inaccessible until you got all four Divine Beasts... the fact you could just go there from the start was mind blowing.

anyway I'm pretty excited at the prospect of DLC. another dungeon is coming later this year. for now we get a Trial mode where you have to survive 45 waves of enemies but you get a perma-upgrade sword if you do. also Hard Mode. I will probably return and finish the rest of the shrines at that point.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #197 (isolation #19) » Fri May 05, 2017 5:24 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I mean I don't actually know of a way to check.

I guess it could've been more than that? Probably like 5 hrs a day on the weekends (two full weekends) at 20 hours, then about 3 hoursish on the weekdays (another 15?) puts me at 35 hours. It's possible I played a little extra, but I can't imagine I went over 50 hours.

i dicked around a lot too though. like i spent several hours just doing the bowling minigame to make money + going hunting in the snowfields to get gourmet meat.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #202 (isolation #20) » Fri May 05, 2017 5:51 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

i still need to go back and explore. for example i foudn this giant temple ruin in a canyon and it was filled with guardians.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #203 (isolation #21) » Fri May 05, 2017 5:52 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

also the feeling i got when i ran into my first
dragon
was fucking incredible

i didn't even know it existed; it was completely accidental
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #206 (isolation #22) » Fri May 05, 2017 8:12 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

my first one was
the waterfall electronic dragon and i just happened to be parasailing down when i ran into it and i freaked out man. it was incredible
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #211 (isolation #23) » Sat May 06, 2017 8:08 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

can we all just agree the Desert Voe armor was the best though
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #214 (isolation #24) » Sat May 06, 2017 8:52 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I only have the Barb helm!

I'm not talking about the Gerudo outfit...

Spoiler: Voe armor
In Gerudo Town, there's a secret shop you can only access if you go eavesdrop and overhear three women discussing the code to get in. Within that shop you can purchase the Voe armor and the Radiant armor.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #216 (isolation #25) » Sat May 06, 2017 9:10 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

oh yeah sorry i was reading that as a response to mine

i had no idea Voe armor was even a thing until i randomly stumbled on that shop
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #221 (isolation #26) » Tue May 09, 2017 10:09 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

yeah like the more i play with it the more hyped i am

i have never in the history of gaming been like "that hardware has me moist, gimme the games" but here i am

all those things people said wouldn't matter (portability; ease of social gaming; various controller layouts) are the exact reasons why i love it

Nintendo has struck gold here
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #225 (isolation #27) » Tue May 09, 2017 11:32 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

plenty of pre-release discussion was about how the portability was overstated and people wouldn't be taking it to parties, etc. and that Nintendo was really trying to prove the "home console" part of it

Snipperclips is good. MK8D has good reviews. I haven't played Shovel Knight so I might pick that up.

Arms is next month. Splatoon is in July.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #227 (isolation #28) » Tue May 09, 2017 12:43 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

i mean the 3DS was $250 at launch

Vita 3G was $300
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #232 (isolation #29) » Sun May 28, 2017 5:21 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

That's odd?
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #245 (isolation #30) » Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

yeah i agree w/ hippy

ive been waiting for a good reason to get a second set of joycons but i cant justify it right now

im PRAYING that the Mario Party game inevitably coming out in 2018 for Switch justifies the niche features
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #250 (isolation #31) » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:05 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

i dont wanna get my hopes up but im PRAYING it's a switch pokemon
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #253 (isolation #32) » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:51 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

i love pokemon sun/moon!

i still havent finished it just because other games took up my time but it felt so fresh and original
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #257 (isolation #33) » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:35 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

i mean im sure they were too far in development to move to switch but yeah, highly disappointing that it wasn't a pokemon for switch announcement

if i had to guess theyll bring pokemon next year once we hit a drought after arms/mario/zelda dlc are out and done to generate hype
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #265 (isolation #34) » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:24 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

maybe it's just PTSD but Odyssey looks too much like Sonic 06 for me to get excited
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #273 (isolation #35) » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:23 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 268, hiplop wrote:honestly this year is a lot better for the switch than I expected?

Splatoon/Arms/Mario+Rabbids/Xenoblade/Oddyssey/Pokken is pretty damn great?

In addition I'll be buying Stardew Valley/Towerfall + some other indies probably
yeah holy shit was i blown away

i was thinking like, okay, ill be happy with more details on odyssey & splatoon and then a tease at the future

but holy shit? pokemon switch AND metroid prime 4!?!?!

like, i always wanted a console pokemon. i didnt think nintendo would ever actually let it happen
the fact that it's actually coming is astounding to me

and i was all on the mario/rabbids hate train but....................it actually looks good? xcom style gameplay done via collab between mario/ubisoft? count me the fuck in

nintendo made me so happy i purchased a switch.

ARMS is this week, that'll last me thru July along with the BotW DLC
Splatoon 2 will be a purchase for me as soon as I'm done with ARMS
Mario/Rabbids lands at the end of August, perfect
Pokken Tournament is in September.
Fire Emblem Warriors & Stardew Valley sometime in the fall
Super Mario Odyssey in late October
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 might not be my cup of tea but it's coming Q4
so is Zelda's second DLC pack & Rocket League

then... 2018 has Kirby and Yoshi coming (both games looked pretty solid)
and im guessing we'll see other shit pop up in 2018 (im banking on a mario party game)

then of course we have Metroid Prime 4 & Pokemon Switch on the horizon

Pikmin is somewhere in that mix too

honestly just really fucking psyched about the lineup. i know ill have enough stuff to chew on thru at least Q1 2018 and that's awesome
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #276 (isolation #36) » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:52 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

idk hyrule warriors was REALLY fun despite me trying to hate on it
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #282 (isolation #37) » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

ARMS IS SO FUCKING GOOD.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #285 (isolation #38) » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:35 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

i took a break bc the fuckin joycon grip is really uncomfortable

i was doing pretty good with the motion controls but i want to try to get good with the controller
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #288 (isolation #39) » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

motion is actually pretty great

everything works flawlessly EXCEPT the punch steering, that takes some practice

i prefer motion because it separates the jump / dash buttons onto different controllers. when i play on the regular controller i find myself mixing up the buttons or pressing both accidentally due to how close together the buttons are

my shitty tier list:

1. fave fighter so far is by far ninjara. i just finally beat GP3 with him.
2. ribbon girl is the next one i think i want to spend hours playing. her mobility is insane with the quadruple jump into dash combo. i really don't like her starting weapons tho so i will probably try to unlock more for her first
3. twintelle slays me. she's like Nintendo Beyonce. her special ability literally lets you warp time around you to slow down incoming punches. i just run double thunderbirds on her and keep people perma-stunned. im sure there's more to love here
4. i can't play the ramen girl for shit, but i wish i could because her dragon weapon is hard as fuck to play around.
5. mechanica is the first one i played bc she seemed like dva. i really like her ability to hover bc it shuts off those obnoxious jumpy characters. she's hard to play well i think bc literally her only strength (other than being a heavy) is that she can hover to throw off opponents combos and timings.
6. kid cobra is mobile af but doesn't do a bunch of damage. he can dash a few times in a row which is like, ok cool, but his starting arms fucking suuuuuuuuuuuuuck my dick
7. byte & barq... this seems like a bad design choice. because that obnoxious npc dog just fucks everything up by blocking shit. and you can't even control him so it's random. and the opponent can't even target the dog so it's just at the will of RNGesus whether you can land a hit or not. blegh. dislike on design principles alone.
8. helix is a character that is so fucking weird and off the wall i cant get my head around him. that probably means he's super good. no jumps or dashes, he can just morph into flat or tall shapes instead. his weapons are fucking BIZARRE. ink splattering bouncy ball bizarre. im sure a good helix is hell on earth but i don't think i have the patience to get good with him.
9. master mummy is alright but god his special ability is just...heal while you block? It's so easy for the opponent to counter you by throwing your ass all around the map any time you try to heal.
10. spring man bleghhhh. his ability only kicks in under 25% health and like....by that point unless you're playing a moron who is going full out aggressive and leaving you multiple openings, what's the advantage he really offers?
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #290 (isolation #40) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:07 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

ehh??

im on a different floor of my house on the opposite side of my house and dont have a problem
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #292 (isolation #41) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:50 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

arms is still perfect 4 me idk
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #296 (isolation #42) » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:52 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

that's incorrect

at first, yes, when people are just spamming punches, the correct strategy is to play defensively and turtle

but as you scale up in skill level, you realize that defending/turtling is not optimal because offensive actions build your power gauge.
in fact, i find defensive players much easier to beat now than spammy aggro players
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #302 (isolation #43) » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:16 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

ugh i really need this :S
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #304 (isolation #44) » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:02 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

considering getting splatoon 2...thoughts???

also send me ur friend codes
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #321 (isolation #45) » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:03 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

SO HYPE
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #324 (isolation #46) » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:42 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

tomorrrowwwww
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #327 (isolation #47) » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:35 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

I beat the main story and
unlocked Mushroom Kingdom and all the extra moons.

I'm going to be playing this game for a long time, huh
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #328 (isolation #48) » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:43 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

God Tier
---------
Odyssey
Galaxy
Galaxy 2

Almost God Tier
-------------------
World
Yoshi's Island
SMB3

Amazing Game Tier
-----------------------
3D World
3D Land
NSMB

Decent Tier
-------------
Sunshine
NSMBU

Not Worth It Tier
--------------------
NSMBW
SMB
NSMB2
Land 2
Land
SMB2
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #331 (isolation #49) » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:55 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

64 was revolutionary for its time but holy shit it did NOT hold up well at all. Going back to play it now is excruciating from a camera/graphics standpoint.

Sunshine was okay but it felt a lot like a 64 retread, didn't do a whole lot different, and FLUDD was a nightmare to control IMO.

Granted, both games are still miles above most other games. But when compared to the rest of the Mario series, I don't think they stand up at all.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #339 (isolation #50) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:20 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

absolutely.

The fact it has Breath of the Wild, Mario + Rabbids, and Splatoon 2 are just happy bonuses.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #349 (isolation #51) » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

The portability is super underrated IMO

it's like the main draw of the Switch for me
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #399 (isolation #52) » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:47 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

You're all wrong Odyssey is dabes
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #400 (isolation #53) » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:48 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Pro controller is also dabes
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #406 (isolation #54) » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:35 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

this is VERY FUCKIN COOL
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #410 (isolation #55) » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:26 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

apparently there are markings on certain parts of the cardboard and the IR sensors on the joycons read the sensors as they move
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #415 (isolation #56) » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:03 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

also like...there's a creator mode where you can build your own shit not from premade kits and i cannot fucking wait to see what happens with that
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #427 (isolation #57) » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:10 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

yeah bayonetta 2 is gr8

so many people love golf story can someone please sell me on it
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #429 (isolation #58) » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:39 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

okay well fuck you i need it now
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #438 (isolation #59) » Fri May 04, 2018 5:06 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

i mean it was fine but the gameplay isnt good compared to the previous one

the "tactical" turn based gameplay wound up feeling sorta flat
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #440 (isolation #60) » Fri May 04, 2018 6:55 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 436, Kcdaspot wrote:Also where's my smash 5 hype you shits?
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=62676
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #476 (isolation #61) » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:56 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

snipper clips is kinda short

what about Overcooked? That game rules for couch coop