Scumleague FF 2018 (First Game 9/6)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:20 am

Post by Nero Cain »

I don't think you quite understand what you are talking about.

I finished 6th in 2014. I finished 11th in 2015 and went to L2 for 2016.

If you were demoted in 2014 it wouldn't have mattered b/c I was above 8th place. If you were demoted in 2015 it's not like I was kept in L1 despite your claims. I'm back in L1 b/c I was in the top 3 of L2 in 2016.

Maybe I'm just getting trolled?
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:39 am

Post by mith »

You know you guys don't have to respond to each other, right?

Everyone is in L3 and I've set up the divisions. Just missing one in L2. I'll get schedules set up in both once L2 is full. Nero, I'll send you the 12-team schedule for L1 this week as well, please let me know how divisions are set up.
Kmd4390
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
Kmd4390
I lost a bet.
I lost a bet.

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:06 am

Post by Kmd4390 »

I'll do the whenisgood tonight when I have my schedule in front of me.
KMD is the coolest dude who ever lost a bet to me - vonflare
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:44 am

Post by mith »

Please note that we have 3 WR (old Yahoo standard) rather than 2 WR + 1 Flex (new Yahoo standard). OP has been updated to reflect this.
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:56 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

We should consider changing that next year btw.
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:32 am

Post by mith »

2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex puts too much emphasis on running backs IMO, at a time when the league is doing the opposite.

Auction actually runs 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 Flex, which I would be fine going to (though of course it's pretty deep with 12). Flex is most interesting in auction though, since you could actually choose to take 4 top 10 WRs or 3 top 10 RBs or something crazy like that.
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:45 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

That’s fair, I think I said that more out of never having done a league with a flex and wanting to. Maybe the solution would be 2 WR 1 TE 1 WR/TE? :P
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:15 am

Post by mith »

Honestly, I'd be more in favor of 2 RB, 4 WR/TE. :)

In your version, there's just not going to be much difference for drafting purposes - no one is taking a TE2 over a WR3, all it would really do is allow someone to take two top tier TEs at the expensive of their WR slots. (Obviously in season it makes having a decent backup TE available better, in case your WR corps turns out to be terrible/broken.)

WR4 vs. TE1 is a more interesting decision - Yahoo's current rankings would have 39 WRs starting vs. 9 TEs - and if you really like TEs for some reason you could load up on the top 6 and have something like Gronk/Ertz/Graham/? as your receiving starters.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:25 am

Post by Nero Cain »

TBF, I've tried doing 2 TE in auction for realism sake
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:02 am

Post by mith »

If you want realism, it should probably be something like 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 W/T. 2 RB formations only accounted for around 10% of the snaps last year.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:08 am

Post by mith »

League 2

Thursday Aug 23 at 9pm Central is looking likely at the moment, with 7/10 reporting.

Not enough feedback for L3 yet, but next Saturday has a big possible window still open. (I'll base the draft for L3 more on division 1 rather than the dupes.)
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:33 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Lemme get back to the states to respond to d3 pls
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:44 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 130, mith wrote:2 RB, 3 WR, 1 Flex
this is what i run in my main .5 ppr league and it's great
green shirt thursdays
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:34 am

Post by PokerFace »

Why we doing top 6 in playoffs?
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:56 am

Post by mith »

The main reason is that the balanced divisional schedule for 10 team is 13 weeks. It's a little silly to have more than half the league in playoffs, but it does place more importance on finishing top 2 (for the bye) and week 14 (for making it to semis, vs. maybe having a random extra game against unequal competition determine the 4 seed).

It's been in the spreadsheet for ages, and it's what we use in the GL league, just haven't had a 10 team league here in a while.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:03 am

Post by mith »

League 2

I've got responses from all but one player on draft time. Currently we have three nights that might work, with one marked as not able to make it. I've PM'd those players to see if we can find a compromise time.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:05 am

Post by mith »

League 3

Don't have responses from everyone yet, but our best bet right now is Saturday the 25th starting 3pm Central.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:40 am

Post by mith »

League 2

Draft is tentatively scheduled for Thursday the 23rd starting 8pm Central.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:30 am

Post by PokerFace »

In post 139, mith wrote:The main reason is that the balanced divisional schedule for 10 team is 13 weeks. It's a little silly to have more than half the league in playoffs, but it does place more importance on finishing top 2 (for the bye) and week 14 (for making it to semis, vs. maybe having a random extra game against unequal competition determine the 4 seed).

It's been in the spreadsheet for ages, and it's what we use in the GL league, just haven't had a 10 team league here in a while.
Sounds fine then
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:15 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 130, mith wrote:2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex puts too much emphasis on running backs IMO, at a time when the league is doing the opposite.
So uh...why isn't this a ppr league again? Pretty sure that'd solve the emphasis problem.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:17 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 144, PJ. wrote:
In post 130, mith wrote:2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex puts too much emphasis on running backs IMO, at a time when the league is doing the opposite.
So uh...why isn't this a ppr league again? Pretty sure that'd solve the emphasis problem.
at the risk of agreeing with panzer: this
green shirt thursdays
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:46 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

b/c it isn't a problem.

the only thing PPR does is put a bigger emphasis on quantity and make like 3rd down backs viable starting options.

PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:07 am

Post by PokerFace »

PPR would alleviate emphasis that points place on RB, but because the the current NFL does not have that many teams that live and breath on the strength of the RB, finding good rbs for the rb spot will be hard. PPR wouldn't alleviate the positional requirements.

We would have to have 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 W/R/T with PPR to alleviate it from both aspects.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:20 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 147, PokerFace wrote:PPR would alleviate emphasis that points place on RB, but because the the current NFL does not have that many teams that live and breath on the strength of the RB, finding good rbs for the rb spot will be hard. PPR wouldn't alleviate the positional requirements.

We would have to have 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 W/R/T with PPR to alleviate it from both aspects.
PPR by itself both eliminates the emphasis AND the burden by A) giving more points to receivers and B) increasing the pool of viable running backs that can be played i.e Duke Johnson, Jerrick McKinnon, Christian Mccaffery, Chris Thompson are all basically unplayable in standard.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:31 am

Post by mith »

My point about emphasis was that 2.5 RB, 2.5 WR (which is what the standard Flex roster basically turns into) is so far removed from actual football schemes. I don't have any problem with RBs scoring more points than WRs (and that's really only true at the very top) - without Flex, it doesn't matter at all (since points are relative to replacement only within that position).

PPR eliminates the emphasis in a Flex league by (in theory) making the Flex decision shift strongly toward WR3 over RB3... Which is what 2 RB, 3 WR does anyway. (In practice, I'm not sure even that is true - ESPN's current rankings would have you draft 24 RBs and 26 WRs as starters in a 10 man league - their standard for those rankings - for non-PPR... and 25 RBs and 25 WRs in PPR).

And yes, PPR does make certain RBs more playable... at the expensive of making other RBs less playable. PPR also leads to some bizarre scoring, IMO (a 0 yard catch should not be worth as much as a 10 yard run).

I would not be opposed to playing PPR sometime, but I don't think it objectively makes the fantasy football experience any more interesting. It's a matter of preference - and Scumleague has always been non-PPR.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”