Scumleague FF 2018 (First Game 9/6)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:24 am

Post by PokerFace »

In post 148, PJ. wrote:
In post 147, PokerFace wrote:PPR would alleviate emphasis that points place on RB, but because the the current NFL does not have that many teams that live and breath on the strength of the RB, finding good rbs for the rb spot will be hard. PPR wouldn't alleviate the positional requirements.

We would have to have 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 W/R/T with PPR to alleviate it from both aspects.
PPR by itself both eliminates the emphasis AND the burden by A) giving more points to receivers and B) increasing the pool of viable running backs that can be played i.e Duke Johnson, Jerrick McKinnon, Christian Mccaffery, Chris Thompson are all basically unplayable in standard.
Even if ppr makes wrs and rbs relativly the same value pointswise, someone with 3 viable rbs and 2 wr is still in a better position than someone with 1rb and 4 viable wrs.

I have had the misfortune of being in leagues where people hoarded certain positions early and would not trade or would force you into a bad trade just so you could fill a position.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:27 am

Post by mith »

Relevant: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/8/15 ... first-down

(I would guess PPFD would help TEs and third-down RBs more than WRs, but at least it makes more sense relative to on-the-field performance.)
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:20 am

Post by BROseidon »

Y'all know that .5 PPR exists too, right?
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:21 am

Post by BROseidon »

IMO .5 ppr > ppr > standard
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:25 am

Post by mith »

Everything I said about PPR applies to half-PPR.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:32 am

Post by T-Bone »

I'd be down for .5 PPR, but I'm not going to get upset about it one way or another.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:16 am

Post by BROseidon »

I mean ultimately we're all playing by the same rule set, it's just nice to make the top RBs slightly less OP (which is the main perk of PPR/.5 PPR)
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:30 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 149, mith wrote:My point about emphasis was that 2.5 RB, 2.5 WR (which is what the standard Flex roster basically turns into) is so far removed from actual football schemes. I don't have any problem with RBs scoring more points than WRs (and that's really only true at the very top) - without Flex, it doesn't matter at all (since points are relative to replacement only within that position).

PPR eliminates the emphasis in a Flex league by (in theory) making the Flex decision shift strongly toward WR3 over RB3... Which is what 2 RB, 3 WR does anyway. (In practice, I'm not sure even that is true - ESPN's current rankings would have you draft 24 RBs and 26 WRs as starters in a 10 man league - their standard for those rankings - for non-PPR... and 25 RBs and 25 WRs in PPR).

And yes, PPR does make certain RBs more playable... at the expensive of making other RBs less playable. PPR also leads to some bizarre scoring, IMO (a 0 yard catch should not be worth as much as a 10 yard run).

I would not be opposed to playing PPR sometime, but I don't think it objectively makes the fantasy football experience any more interesting. It's a matter of preference - and Scumleague has always been non-PPR.
If you want "actual football schemes" why don't we have IDPs then? And only 1 rb? Because fantasy football has nothing to do with real football strategy and IDPs are no fucking fun even though it's more like real football. PPR is both fun and solves your problem, also evens up the scoring (both at the top and the middle).

And yeah, some running backs become valuable, but only slightly and most of them were pretty undesirable to begin with. Marshawn Lynch was the 19th highest scoring RB in Standard last year. Lativius Murray was the 20th. Both of them only had 5 games where they wouldn't of ruined your fantasy week and one of Murray's was week 17. PPR smoothes that out. You're worst starter is no longer unplayable half the season or more.

If your aren't opposed to playing ppr, a fairly large contingent would rather play some form of ppr then "standard"(which is no longer standard ftr), then why not play ppr?

Also other Ringer media that completely irrelevant to the discussion, Bill Simmons posted a twitter poll of what's better, PPR or standard, and 60-something percent said ppr. So let's not bring The Ringer into this.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:23 am

Post by Xalxe »

In post 156, BROseidon wrote:I mean ultimately we're all playing by the same rule set, it's just nice to make the top RBs slightly less OP (which is the main perk of PPR/.5 PPR)
But my Gurley strategy!
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:43 am

Post by PokerFace »

just to clarify I am not apposed to ppr, I just don't think its a perfect solution. I would not be against PPFD since it sound interesting. Would certainly solve the issue of a 0 yard catch being worth the same as a 10 yard run.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:44 am

Post by Nero Cain »

#keepMSpprfree
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:44 am

Post by PokerFace »

By the way, how we picking draft order. What luke gonna do for this mith?
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:53 am

Post by Nero Cain »

I was just going to random.org it unless we are doing something special.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:54 am

Post by mith »

I
don't
want actual football schemes (my comment on the previous page re: 1 RB should reflect that). What I do want is for the RB:WR ratio to make more sense than I feel it does in the 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex suggestion (ESPN standard) that I was actually discussing on the previous page. One way to do that is our current roster setup; another is PPR. (FWIW, PPFD probably makes this worse, since starting RBs should do well on getting first downs; anyway was not promoting PPFD or suggesting we change to it - just thought it was interesting that that was posted this morning).

I don't have any concrete evidence that PPR
does
solve that problem, at least in the draft (see comment about pre-draft rankings). But more importantly to my previous post, if it
did
solve that problem it would be doing so by dragging 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex closer to 2 RB, 3 WR. (Case in point: it's just one year, but for 2017, the top 50 RB/WR at season end would have split exactly 20/30.) That's not really an argument for PPR so much as an argument against Flex.

To reiterate: I am
not
arguing that 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex is bad because non-PPR scoring. I am arguing that it's bad because having the same number of dedicated RB and WR slots doesn't make any sense given what current football schemes mean
for how many playable players there are at each position
. Personally, I also prefer not having the Flex slot because it forces players to consider the positions individually, but that is of course a personal preference, not some objective guideline of how to make fantasy football fun.

I concede that PPR
will
even out the RB1 vs. WR1 comparison. It
might
smooth things out in general, though I haven't seen evidence that backs that up. To take 2017 as an example again, the difference between the 1st and 20th RB in non-PPR was 176.8, vs. 211.8 for PPR; for WR1 vs. WR30, it's 102.8 and 138.5). PPR also weakens QBs even more than they already are (if the relative scoring difference increases for skill positions, then the unchanged relative scoring difference for QBs is worth less in the draft).

As for making Scumleague PPR - I'm not going to change the way we're doing things at this point (a week before our first draft). We can certainly take a vote on it for next year, though currently I'm not sure whether there is a "fairly large contingent" or just a vocal minority.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:54 am

Post by mith »

In post 158, Xalxe wrote:
In post 156, BROseidon wrote:I mean ultimately we're all playing by the same rule set, it's just nice to make the top RBs slightly less OP (which is the main perk of PPR/.5 PPR)
But my Gurley strategy!
See above stats - you would have been even more dominant last year with PPR...
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:56 am

Post by mith »

In post 161, PokerFace wrote:By the way, how we picking draft order. What luke gonna do for this mith?
I'll be doing something with Luke on Saturday (probably after his nap, since I'll have to get ready for Auction before his nap). Dunno what yet. I'll have to get a little more creative, since we have different league sizes.
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:58 am

Post by Xalxe »

In post 164, mith wrote:
In post 158, Xalxe wrote:
But my Gurley strategy!
See above stats - you would have been even more dominant last year with PPR...
Please understand I am very dumb and any success I have or will enjoy in this thread is as close to pure stupid luck as possible.
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:17 am

Post by mith »

You would have been even more dumb-lucky last year?
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:30 am

Post by Nero Cain »

you CAN make a "flex" spot that's just WR/TE.

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:46 am

Post by mith »

In post 132, mith wrote:Honestly, I'd be more in favor of 2 RB, 4 WR/TE. :)
(This is why I don't play Mafia lately. No one reads my posts... ;))
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:49 am

Post by Nero Cain »

reading is hard though :/

xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:57 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

.5 PPR is the best tbh but I also read that point for first down article and I'm in love
green shirt thursdays
Wraith
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Wraith
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:58 am

Post by Wraith »

I should be good for the L2 draft time
Show
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." -Helder Camara

"For myself, I want no advantage over my fellow man, and if he is weaker than I, all the more is it my duty to help him." -Eugene Debs

"Our demands most modest are - we only want the earth!" -James Connolly
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:07 pm

Post by D3f3nd3r »

In post 165, mith wrote:
In post 161, PokerFace wrote:By the way, how we picking draft order. What luke gonna do for this mith?
I'll be doing something with Luke on Saturday (probably after his nap, since I'll have to get ready for Auction before his nap). Dunno what yet. I'll have to get a little more creative, since we have different league sizes.
Just have him "order" 12 things and have two of them be arbitrary for the ten-man leagues.
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:05 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

idgaf what the format is. if ppr next year max would be 0.5. love me some non ppr tho.
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”