Mish Mash Reorganization

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #19 (isolation #0) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:30 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

In post 18, xRECKONERx wrote:the issue is that people dont know what mish mash is and they have to go TO the forum to find the games and the title of Mish Mash doesn't really say much
The only real thing to the names of the Mafia forums is that they follow a specific theme, and you have to read the forum's description to determine what
kind
of Mafia games are played there—the same thing you have to do to determine that Mish Mash is for non-Mafia games. With the arguable exception of the LSG, the only forums to have straightforward names are the ones where games are not played such as the queue forum and the discussion forums, and
THAT'S
not necessarily true for their subforums (although it's really rare for it not to be the case). I only see this as a convincing argument in the sense that Mafia players don't really have to worry so much about the actual forum name as the type of game that's played there, unlike Mish Mash players.

I'm not sure the problem we have in people not knowing about Mish Mash can be completely solved. We were designed to be primarily a Mafia community, so we've always played second fiddle. That said, Mish Mash has been an important part of the site identity for those of us who
DO
frequent it. Changing the name of the forum in an attempt to attract more people to it is a solution in search of a problem, and the motive fails to distinguish people who would play Mish Mash games if they knew about them from people who simply don't care about Mish Mash no matter what it's called. Promoting the forum is a better idea in my opinion, and we've done that with the Mashies and the Clash of the Mash.
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #21 (isolation #1) » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:30 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

That's true, but I'm saying that that's the only part of your argument that holds water. What you tried and are continuing to suggest is like changing the name of a city because people cannot find it on the map. It's absurd, it assumes stupidity on the newbies, and it deprives Mish Mash of the identity that it's had for well over a decade. Until I'm convinced Mish Mashers actually
WANT
a name change, I'm going to continue to argue against one.

StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #25 (isolation #2) » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:23 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

In post 23, xRECKONERx wrote:We're focused on how to grow our userbase in Mish Mash, it's something me/xof/CC talk about a lot. Visibility is the key first step.
And I have suggested in the last sentence of #19 that we be promoted a bit more. We have Clash of the Mash, we have the Mashies, and I'm open to more events to bring more of us here. To keep the city analogy, our tourism industry needs a swift kick in the butt, and you say as much. We can be advertised without dumbing down our name for the lowest common denominator, and it's been done successfully—the high demand for Clash of the Mash 2016 comes to mind.

StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #27 (isolation #3) » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:18 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

I'll admit I didn't notice the brief moment this place
WASN'T
Mish Mash, to be fair :P

My main two points against the name change are as follows:
  1. The name didn't appear to be a problem before. Granted, it's only relatively recently (in the past few years) that the section has been getting much love from the site admins, but in my time on the site it was never a
    STAGNANT
    part thereof, meaning people have been able to find it nonetheless.
  2. Renaming Mish Mash seems a logical misfit to the names of the Mafia forums not being straightforwardly named themselves—the names themselves have a method to their madness (they're all places with some sort of association with the Mafia), but the actual Mafia games run in them have only indirect, vague connections to their namesake places. That said, I'm not convinced that the names of those forums pose major problems in practice for the reasons discussed by the people in favor of changing the forum name. If anything, yes, it's a somewhat out-of-place name compared to what the others are called.
If we're hell-bent on a name change, then my proposal for a new name is Las Vegas: it brings the forum into the theme naming of the Mafia forums (Bugsy Siegel, anyone?), and it has a strong connection to non-Mafia games already, perhaps a stronger one than its former status as a Mafia stronghold. That said, I don't feel my plan B here is perfect because it leaves open the question of what to call the LSG forum: it's strongly connected to Survivor, and I'm not aware of a season set anywhere that used to have a problem with organized crime. Probably not a big deal since Mafia games aren't played there anyway, but I feel it's something to discuss.

Another thing I noticed while I was typing up this post: The categories go Mafia Games, then Discussion, then Other Forum Games, then Administration. What effect would switching the order of the middle two have?

StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute

Post Post #53 (isolation #4) » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:25 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

Yeah, it's been the most popular idea since I suggested it might do something useful.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”