League of Legends: The New Thread

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3900 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:56 am

Post by PJ. »

I feel like you're using the word viable wrong. If you're talking dictionary definition, he's viable at all levels of play (50% win rate in Korean plat+ and made an appearance in LCK play this year). He has clear and well-defined weaknesses, which kinda makes him tough in a meta where most of the top tier and 2ND tier junglers are guys specifically strong at amumu'so weakness(graves, Xin, camille, lee, nidalee), but it's also a meta where the strongest guys in
every
role is a squishy damage guy, so being able to wrap the enemy squishes while your squishies use all their moves is really strong. And his scaling with liandriy's is pretty dope and real does put a hurting on people, but it definitely comes at the cost of like...hoping graves and the mid laner don't ruin your whole game. But yeah. There's a reason he has the highest win rate of all junglers gold and below and it'd because he can take advantage of being the only guy with cc lol.

Top 5 play rate gold and below in top lane:
Garen
Darius
Jax
Riven
Gangplank (teemo and nasus are close)

Mid lane
Zed
Ahri
Yasuo
Akali
Fizz (LeBlanc over akali in gold and plat)

Bot lane
Jhin
Miss fortune
Ezreal
Jinx
Kaia

Support
Thresh (=()
Morgana
Pyke
Nami
Lux

Jungle
Lee
Graves
Yi
Kayn
Jax

So uh...in short, ban graves, play amamu, hope your support is Morgana and win every game until you decide hitting plat is a stupid waste of time.
Last edited by PJ. on Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Nosferatu
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3901 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:14 am

Post by Nosferatu »

fuck mf

she so unfun to play but she's so good i feel like ive got to
BRASIL BRASIL BRASIL BRRRRR
last.fm
gtkas
Nosferatu
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3902 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:20 am

Post by Nosferatu »

also as a side note: if you're bronze 1/2 or silver 5 (bronze 0) please stop playing high skill champs

I don't know why people do this, like your rank is on your screen every time you queue for a game, you should know if you're good or not

I don't want to see fucking riven top in my games anymore, you all suck. Stop playing camille. Why is it so hard for you to understand that if you get top you should probably be playing garen until you're at least in silver or some shit

I don't get why these people somehow think "oh its not me fundamentally misunderstanding the overall strategy of the game and basic mechanics that are the same across champions" nah, "I need to one-trick a champion so I can carry through my own non-existent skill"
last.fm
gtkas
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #3903 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:31 am

Post by Psyche »

a lot of people (maybe most people) come into league and similar games with heavily personalized play options wanting to win in a certain way, rather than just in the "optimal" way
they'd rather be a silver 5 riven player than a gold 5 garen player, and might not even play the game if they didn't have that choice

besides, and i think this might be important for you to internalize, if they're the kind of person who plays riven top and is silver 5, and you're close enough to their mmr to be placed into games with them, they aren't really dragging you down by continuing to play riven top. They're at your mmr because they win about as reliably with their high skill main as you do with your low skill main!
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3904 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:16 am

Post by Psyche »

ive tried but i dont think i can commit to amumu like i have to ivern
it might be because of outdated kit/visuals, or maybe because of how simple he is, or maybe the way he has no self peel, or some of all of that, but he just hasn't captured my heart even after a lot of games

new nunu is similar to amumu in some key ways (namely being an engage-oriented cc tank w/ big aoe cc in his w/ult) and seems assuredly easier to fall in love with, so maybe he'll end up working

taliyah also still seems pretty cool, and definitely has damage in a way that ivern doesn't. I feel like the only thing keeping me from maining her is just how bad I'm still at her. I feel like playing Ivern has spoiled me and made me someone who reacts too hard against champs who need to play well in order to not die. I'll try to keep putting more games into her, at least going for level 6. Why, I don't think I'm even 6 with Amumu yet (getting an S with him is tough!).

Finally, I think I've found some ways to improve my Ivern play so that I can more reliably win in bad comps or matchups. For example, since I die pretty rarely, even for an Ivern, I can probably afford to fit a dark seal and even a mejai's into my build with the investment reliably paying off more often than not. Some playtesting suggest that doing so greatly improves my snowballing and even makes dueling safe and doable. Buying mobility boots at least for the early game and playing around that seems to have a similar impact. And I've studied Ivern's W a bit more closely in a couple of two-laptop customs to improve how I use it to control vision. And I can probably shift how I use my Q in some scenarios where instead of using it to hold down enemies I use it to get over walls and whatnot - still need to study that one, though. Finally, I could maybe start duoing in the ranked games I feel like jungling in so that I'll have a reliable carry in every game who understands how to make the most of my somewhat interactive kit. If all that works out maybe I'll just focus on Ivern and be fine having a secondary like Amumu who's uncomplicated even if I can't fall in love with him.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3905 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:17 am

Post by PJ. »

I was gonna try to post something relevant to the topic, but like....psyche is a damn savage.

Pedit: Im reading your monster mummy post, give me time
TehBrawlGuy
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3906 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:26 am

Post by TehBrawlGuy »

ap malphite in nexus blitz is legit the funnest thing I've played since old URF Eve.

you just delete players
I don't have anything to put here because my normal signature is images. Weeeeee.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3907 (ISO) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:16 am

Post by Psyche »

I'm gonna try Karthus as my alternate to Ivern for when the rest of my comp is already high in utility and needs damage. He's off-meta, but he deals more damage than any jungler in the game, has a very fast clear speed, and I'm already very experienced with him. I need to suss out just *how* impractical he'd be and whether teammates will just riot when I pick him, but games I've played so far haven't been a struggle at all. Eventually I'll either have enough courage to try him in ranked or just abandon him.
Fate
Fate
:HAPPY:
Fate

Post Post #3908 (ISO) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:34 am

Post by Fate »

In post 3902, Nosferatu wrote:also as a side note: if you're bronze 1/2 or silver 5 (bronze 0) please stop playing high skill champs

I don't know why people do this, like your rank is on your screen every time you queue for a game, you should know if you're good or not

I don't want to see fucking riven top in my games anymore, you all suck. Stop playing camille. Why is it so hard for you to understand that if you get top you should probably be playing garen until you're at least in silver or some shit

I don't get why these people somehow think "oh its not me fundamentally misunderstanding the overall strategy of the game and basic mechanics that are the same across champions" nah, "I need to one-trick a champion so I can carry through my own non-existent skill"
BUT

YAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSS
Fate is absurdly beautiful. 運命に弄ばれる
"Fate you keep alternating between narratives of doing it for fun and doing it for the sake of winning"
TehBrawlGuy
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
TehBrawlGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3909 (ISO) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:06 am

Post by TehBrawlGuy »

In post 3907, Psyche wrote:I'm gonna try Karthus as my alternate to Ivern for when the rest of my comp is already high in utility and needs damage. He's off-meta, but he deals more damage than any jungler in the game, has a very fast clear speed, and I'm already very experienced with him.
I need to suss out just *how* impractical
he'd be and whether teammates will just riot when I pick him, but games I've played so far haven't been a struggle at all. Eventually I'll either have enough courage to try him in ranked or just abandon him.
you're going to have a hard time doing that in norms tbh

karthus's big weakness is that you can just invade him and murder him for free as any aggressive jungler, and people don't counterjungle nearly as much in norms for some reason. he's also gonna get harder to climb with as you go up and people start getting brains about how to counter him
I don't have anything to put here because my normal signature is images. Weeeeee.
Nosferatu
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3910 (ISO) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:16 am

Post by Nosferatu »

In post 3903, Psyche wrote:a lot of people (maybe most people) come into league and similar games with heavily personalized play options wanting to win in a certain way, rather than just in the "optimal" way
they'd rather be a silver 5 riven player than a gold 5 garen player, and might not even play the game if they didn't have that choice

besides, and i think this might be important for you to internalize, if they're the kind of person who plays riven top and is silver 5, and you're close enough to their mmr to be placed into games with them, they aren't really dragging you down by continuing to play riven top. They're at your mmr because they win about as reliably with their high skill main as you do with your low skill main!
nah, im aware im trash but im bronze 2

i dont want silvers in my game cause if theyre at my mmr when im like 3 leagues below them then that means they're so trash that theyre not even playing with silvers.
last.fm
gtkas
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3911 (ISO) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:19 am

Post by PJ. »

the difference between a silver 5 and a bronze 2 is kinda nothing...

Just as I don't think someone stuck in gold 5 is really any different then a silver 1 player.

(silver 2-silver 4 has incredible variance and i think skill really varies from player to player until you have a sizable amount of games and even then i don't think a silver 2 player with a sizable amount of games is that close to a gold 5 player)
Nosferatu
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3912 (ISO) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:27 am

Post by Nosferatu »

difference between silver 5 and bronze 2 is a mood

like i mentioned before that silver 5 is basically bronze 0

but i think that when people are silver 5 they think that theyre somehow better than high bronze and I think they make decisions based on that wrongly placed self-confidence
last.fm
gtkas
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3913 (ISO) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:52 pm

Post by PJ. »

Well..they are technically better cause they hit silver and you haven't...i know that sounds like talking out of both sides of my mouth but it's true. IDK, when you're that low on the bell curve, the climbing is really easy. I still find the hardest part on the ladder to be Silver 2-3 because you have guys placing directly into that rank because it's 50th percentile and they just aren't that good and variance is bad.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3914 (ISO) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:44 pm

Post by Psyche »

losing sucks
can turn me off from a champion for weeks!
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3915 (ISO) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:51 pm

Post by PJ. »

yeah..i've about had my fill of losing on zac...2-5 i think maybe 2-6. I think amumu might be the best tank jungler despite having the least options
MTD
MTD
Mafia Scum
MTD
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3916 (ISO) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:58 pm

Post by MTD »

I do feel like that at times, however for me it's sometimes difficult to distinguish between just having to play the pick more or it being a pick i can't make work
(e.g. i'm still unsure on mid xin and jungle xayah)
still the same old MTD
dramonic
dramonic
Survivor
dramonic
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3917 (ISO) » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:28 am

Post by dramonic »

What does jungle xayah even accomplish?
I'm a hoot
Stream: twitch.tv/dramonic
-If you stick your ear close enough to the game thread you can actually hear dram suffer in real life.-Beeboy
-Being obtuse is not a consequence of being a mod, it's a prerequisite. I think you may just have overestimated my intelligence before.-Korts
Nosferatu
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3918 (ISO) » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:19 am

Post by Nosferatu »

In post 3913, PJ. wrote:Well..they are technically better cause they hit silver and you haven't...i know that sounds like talking out of both sides of my mouth but it's true. IDK, when you're that low on the bell curve, the climbing is really easy. I still find the hardest part on the ladder to be Silver 2-3 because you have guys placing directly into that rank because it's 50th percentile and they just aren't that good and variance is bad.
sure, sure I see you. it's just frustrating to get to the point when your mmr is high enough to play with higher ranked players, but you're still not good enough to carry them when they play like animals.
last.fm
gtkas
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3919 (ISO) » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:41 am

Post by PJ. »

I have some really bad news for you....
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #3920 (ISO) » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:43 am

Post by PJ. »

That never ends
Nosferatu
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3921 (ISO) » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:15 am

Post by Nosferatu »

thanks for the heads up, just uninstalled o/
last.fm
gtkas
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3922 (ISO) » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:14 am

Post by Psyche »

Congratulations
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3923 (ISO) » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:07 am

Post by Psyche »

newnu's strong but i feel like if you build him ap you're just asking for trouble
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #3924 (ISO) » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:13 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 3923, Psyche wrote:newnu's strong but i feel like if you build him ap you're just asking for trouble
can confirm

Newnu in Game: idiot Jungler goes Sorcs but at least with Cinderhulk, ends at 8/8 and helps us come back from basically all going even in KDA except Ornn top (not that we all had few kills... just we also had a ton of stupid deaths - including me, but in my defense: first-time Kai'Sa)
however
I will say he was never fucking around and just lolSNOWBALLED all over the map and was generally pretty toxic.

Newnu in Very Next Game: idiot Jungler goes Runic Echoes and we end up early surrendering at 17 min because he had absolutely 0 pressure and a 2/5 Katarina botlane was feeding an 8/0 Lucian mid. Ouch.

So yes, basically plz don't build them AP

Return to “The Arcade”