Scumreading and Rudeness

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Scumreading and Rudeness

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:52 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I have noticed this in a number of games I’ve played, both here and offsite as well. Some townies seem to be of the opinion, that it’s perfectly fine to treat one’s scumreads like crap.

Yes, I know scum are the bad guys but they’re also human beings who don’t choose their alignment. I was in a game - offsite - a little while ago where one player who mistakenly scumread me, proceeded to treat me like garbage because of it. I was so deflated by this, that I gave up any hope of being ever correctly read in that game and sealed my eventual mislynch by choking.

It is my opinion that you should try your best to treat other players with respect - irrespective of what alignment you happen to be reading them as.

Not allowing a player to get away with anything super sketchy and calling them out on their shit, is part of effective scumhunting but I don’t think it’s ever necessary or justified IMHO, to ever treat them as subhuman, is my point.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:29 pm

Post by AnonymousGhost »

Agreed, but I don't think anyone would actually disagree with this.
let's hope not

There's a fine line between scum hunting/discrediting scum's arguments and resorting to attacking the player to win. If you have to resort to attacking a player in order to win, then you probably need to reevaluate your play style.
Talk Fast, Think Faster

BE LOUD! BE PROUD! BE ANTI-TOWN!
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:16 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

What people in this thread fail to understand is that randing wolf is a deep and fundamental moral failure, and that any time someone has potentially randed wolf, they are rejecting you as a human being, and therefore an emotion and vitriol laden method to push them is the most appropriate response humanly possible

Or maybe the opposite of that.

-Slightly modified from Mhsmith0
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:42 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 2, RadiantCowbells wrote:What people in this thread fail to understand is that randing wolf is a deep and fundamental moral failure, and that any time someone has potentially randed wolf, they are rejecting you as a human being, and therefore an emotion and vitriol laden method to push them is the most appropriate response humanly possible

Or maybe the opposite of that.

-Slightly modified from Mhsmith0
Except when it fails spectacularly like in the example, I mentioned.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:15 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

For some reason, I think ppl get incredibly offended when scumread, regardless of alignment. Sometimes I think the reason they take it so personally is that ppl feel like they are playing super well and when someone scum reads them they take it as a personal attack on their skill. Also, discrediting and ad hom have been ways of reaction to scum reads on you for over a decade and that's nothing new.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:40 am

Post by Ramcius »

some people just haven't learned yet not to play with their food
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:02 am

Post by Porochaz »

I stopped modding because of the utter shit players shovelled at each other. It was dreadful. Im not even sure if any of the players scum-read each other at any point. It's a playstyle that developed at some point and it's a piss poor one.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:58 am

Post by Umlaut »

I think I'm way ruder to people I think are town than to people I think are scum. Mostly because if I tell someone their play is anti-town when they're town then it follows that I'm saying they're bad at the game, and there's only so polite you can be when what you're saying is inherently insulting.

(I remember one player got really upset about my calling something a "fake dumbtell" because given that she was town I must think she was actually dumb.)
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
shortaru
shortaru
Mafia Scum
shortaru
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Post by shortaru »

I think it's important to be aggressive when pressuring suspected scum, but that doesn't justify insults/personal attacks.

It's not that hard to bear down on someone without turning into a raging prick.
Does this post forward a scum win con, or do you just think I'm strange?

Strange != Scum
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:33 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

Some people don't understand the difference between aggressive and asshat.
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
She/It
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She/It

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:38 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

I never posted here
In my first forum game ever I was scum and one of townsfolk on my death just boasted right in my face, and that actually like legitimately set me off into a rage. He actually apologized and explained he had irl issues with anger management, but it still stung. So yeah, be nice, it’s all a game.
<Embrace The Void>

My pronouns are she and it, please respect that. I don't mind the occasional slip.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:32 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I don’t envy you. Rolling scum first game is rough. It’s not fun to have dead thread happy you’re dead and rooting for your side’s demise.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
BuJaber
BuJaber
Mafia Scum
BuJaber
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:05 am

Post by BuJaber »

I have always drawn the line for myself by differentiating between the action and the player.

I can be pretty direct and aggressive but to the best of my abilities I say things like "that's terrible play" "those reads are horrible" "you're gamethrowing" instead of "you suck" or "you're bad" or "you're a cheater".
Simply speaking say "that's a lie" don't say "you're a liar".
A player can be a good player and do something badly/misplay/have bad reads/etc. Calling their action bad does not reduce their skill level.

Ftr I don't know how I'm perceived maybe I am still offending people by this. I hope not The point is just sometimes you need to push your scumcases and have to be direct and confident. If people think you are vague, hesitant, or unsure they are probably not going to vote alongside you and might even scumread you for it.
BuJaber
BuJaber
Mafia Scum
BuJaber
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:06 am

Post by BuJaber »

Also after the game all tension should be dropped. Some people seem unable to let it go. There's really no excuse for being rude/fighting after the game.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:18 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

Some people - even those who ought to know better - directly insult other players* intelligence. MS shoild have a 0 tolerance for this despicable behaviour, and no one ought to be exempt.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
shortaru
shortaru
Mafia Scum
shortaru
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:53 pm

Post by shortaru »

In post 9, Ectomancer wrote:Some people don't understand the difference between aggressive and asshat.
I have to confess, that's something that I've had problems with in the past, myself.

There were reasons for it... but certainly no excuses.

Asshats can reform.
Does this post forward a scum win con, or do you just think I'm strange?

Strange != Scum

Return to “Mafia Discussion”