Ultimate Videogame Topic 3: The Next Generation

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #162 (isolation #0) » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

bought and beat rogue legacy over the weekend, I think I took a decent amount longer to beat it all than most but except for the first boss I wanted to not use the architect and just port in to the boss room so I went through fresh towers almost all the time unless there were some fairy chests I knew I could get with a different character.
Wound up getting pretty attached to the colorblind lich king who fought through the forest and most of the main area to get extra max hp, beat the second boss, then got glasses from praying to a statue that fixed his vision and I think found the boss entrance to the tower before dying searching around for chicken legs before fighting him and the lesbian ADHD dragon who beat the dungeon boss and the first phase of the final boss on my first attempt before dying to his flying swords that did half her health in damage.

am a little sad that the portrait row of all your past heroes doesn't list out the traits when you go back through them and that new game+ uses the character you won the game with to start the game so you finally get the happy ending for someone and then they get sent back into another castle to die >_>

definitely worth the 5ish dollars it cost on steam sale, still only $7.50 now if anyone else is thinking about picking it up

also this is the best song to listen to in the background while playing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TxjrHPHypA
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #252 (isolation #1) » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:01 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

reck said he wants to play it, dunno if he actually has it yet

it looks more interesting to me than terraria was buut i couldn't stay interested in terraria at all so it might still not be different enough for me to get a lot out of it

in other things i just beat fire emblem awakening
was stuck on the second to last level for a while before getting through it without losing anyone, then just barely got through the final bosses wall of defense with only 2 damage to spare to kill him after getting lucky with lucina attacking with tiki on both of her attacks (i did lose vaike when he was distracting all the lower left/upper left dudes so nobody else would die but i figured the last level is when its okay to finally let sacrifices happen)

and then as the final dialogue happens with
your created character dying and telling everyone that his last thoughts are of them

the 3ds shuts off because its out of power.

and now i feel conflicted between irritated that i have to beat it again to see it and amused that the screen going black there actually would make sense as a smash cut ending if the developers had the sheer balls to do it even though it would go against the fire emblem thing of friendship bonds bonds friends bonds friends and not give an epilogue to all the other characters you've been fighting with the whole time
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #264 (isolation #2) » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:33 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

dlc phoenix wright case is out

gotta go defend a killer whale from a murder charge no problem
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #268 (isolation #3) » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:59 am

Post by Gammagooey »

In post 266, Parama wrote: thought that had been out? was planning to buy it tomorrow when I get home from university
probably was, i just saw the 3ds notification for it yesterday though
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #460 (isolation #4) » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:27 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

so i got pie and reck copies of virtue's last reward

I feel it was a good choice solely for the look on pie's face after one of the more ridiculous endings
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #462 (isolation #5) » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:29 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

but there are SO MANY MORE TWISTS

huahahahahahaha
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #504 (isolation #6) » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:42 am

Post by Gammagooey »

those are the best guesses

you did miss when reck was almost done with the game and said on our way home from crazy fire something like

If Sigma was Zero the whole time I'm going to throw my 3DS out the window
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #743 (isolation #7) » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:23 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

screw your statistics, the FTL Advanced update thing is out

The main version ate up so much time and was so good until I had played enough to run out of new choices, really hope the new stuff will still be as good
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #867 (isolation #8) » Wed May 14, 2014 2:54 am

Post by Gammagooey »

Speeeeeeeaking of Bastion, Transistor's coming out in 6 days!

http://supergiantgames.com/index.php/transistor/
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #1011 (isolation #9) » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:27 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

playing through an english patched rom of the 2nd Miles Edgeworth investigations game

graphics seem a bit bad and i'm not sure if its because of the emulator or just because i got used to the 3DS graphics

1st case was good and had a cameo of
Shelly De Killer
that's probably going to turn into something really good

2nd case is fine so far but OH GOD THE OLD CIRCUS MUSIC IS BACK
also has "You're the one who got murdered!" as proobably the dumbest alternate answer I remember in the entire series
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #1065 (isolation #10) » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:29 am

Post by Gammagooey »

^he's talking about you commenting on how bioshock 2 and beyond might get better
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #1210 (isolation #11) » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:11 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

if anyone got x-com from the recent humble bundle and wants the expansion its on sale on steam for $10 and it's preeetty worth it
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #1226 (isolation #12) » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:24 am

Post by Gammagooey »

So I bought a Vita from craigslist solely to play Danganronpa and its sequel that came out yesterday and I regret nothing

really enjoyed the first one with the biggest annoyance being that the early cases were pretty easy with one of them being 'you know the killer before you leave the room', and just finished the
second
case in the sequel after playing for pretty much the entire night and it's already at holy shit this is awesome.

also completely missed that wright+layton was out already? probably going to wait until i finish the 2nd edgeworth investigations game so i'm not just constantly hemorrhaging money on video games but i do need to play it soonish.

edit: also godamn do I want to get to this song in-game http://listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=PnbA ... YPER_P.T.A.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #1307 (isolation #13) » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:52 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

In post 1303, Oman wrote:So I've been enjoying letsplays lately, they're a real blast. Have any scummers made any and want some more exposure or just another view? I'd like to support you guys.

Watching letsplays of puzzle games is literally the most frustrating shit though.

I'm doing an X-Com: Enemy Within Let's Play in the MishMash forum now, I'm doing screenshot updates with a little added story+dialogue in addition to just streaming it Wednesdays but the screenshot updates tend to take a while so I'm more than a bit behind >_> (I have a lot more time to actually do them now than in previous weeks though, should be able to get more caught up soon)

also from the demos I played years ago Disciples II seems like a pretty good game if anyone liked Heroes of Might & Magic style gameplay when that was a thing (it basically takes that and changes the big unit stacks into individual levelable units that can attack generally either the a target in the front row of enemy units or any individual unit if they're ranged), and it's less than $2 on steam now for it and two of its expansions- Disciples II: Gallean's Return (there are some issues with windows 64 bit though, you have to run it in 16-bit windowed mode and it'll tend to crash if you alt-tab out, instructions if you want to bother are here http://steamcommunity.com/app/1640/disc ... 563857042/)
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #1330 (isolation #14) » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:20 am

Post by Gammagooey »

I'll play The Cat Lady
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #1940 (isolation #15) » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:01 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

Zero Escape 3 is in development!

There's like no details at all yet except that it's coming out in summer of next year but it's ACTUALLY BEING MADE AND ISN'T VAPORWARE WOOOO
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2267 (isolation #16) » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:34 am

Post by Gammagooey »

Vi wrote:
In post 2263, Untrod Tripod wrote:hell yeah it is
This.

I think the tier list of Mario RPGs looks like

M&L: Superstar Saga
Super Mario RPG
|
Paper Mario TTYD
M&L: Bowser's Inside Story
|
Paper Mario <I'd anti-recommend anything below this>
M&L: Dream Team
|
Super Paper Mario
<I'm told Sticker Star goes here>
M&L: Partners in Time

I've heard good things about Paper Jam but etc.

Sticker Star is sooo bad though. Let's just take this cool badge and combat system and replace it with every single attack using an item, so you're constantly micromanaging your stickers every few battles instead of actually playing through the game, that sounds FUN.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2271 (isolation #17) » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:51 am

Post by Gammagooey »

hasdgfas wrote:I'd also recommend Super Paper Mario much higher than Vi, because I really enjoyed it, but I know that's a losing battle.

Yeah I liked it too- from vague memories of it, it was probably the weakest between it, paper mario, and thousand year door, but I enjoyed playing through all of them a lot.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2449 (isolation #18) » Wed May 18, 2016 2:57 am

Post by Gammagooey »

I want to grab Stellaris but I think I'm going to wait a month or two? I've heard the tutorial is kind of borked atm and they didn't have time to add as many mid-game events as they wanted, so they're putting out a few free patches in the next couple months for it: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/0 ... ent-plans/
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2488 (isolation #19) » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:09 am

Post by Gammagooey »

grabbed risk of rain for $2.50 on the steam sale, playing through some solo now but message me if anyone wants to do co-op
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2527 (isolation #20) » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:03 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

I just picked up Reigns, and to steal one of the review comments its kind of King of Dragon's Pass combined with Tinder - each 'year' is a choice you make by either swiping the character portrait asking you to make it right or left. It's pretty good so far and only $3! And this just happened and I have no idea wtf caused it.

Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2529 (isolation #21) » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:02 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

^theres a steam and a mobile version for anyone else interested

Pretty close to done with it now, it starts to get tedious once you know what all the choices do and aren't unlocking more by meeting new characters, but that didn't happen until more than 1000 choices in for me so I'd definitely say it's worth the $3.

Only other thing I'd warn about is that lateish game, when one of your objectives is to unmask the senator, you have to do something that you probably know is stupid from doing it previously to do it, which is a little irritating.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2623 (isolation #22) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:54 am

Post by Gammagooey »

On the last case of Phoenix Wright: Spirits of Justice and I have Steins; Gate Zero to play after this too :D

found an Alien Isolation Collection Bundle for $9 if anyone else is interested here: https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/ali ... collection

and also also have some steam keys from an older bundle I'm never going to use, PM me if you want any of these:
Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball
From the Depths
Castlestorm
Memoria
Papo & Yo
Last edited by Gammagooey on Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2630 (isolation #23) » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:25 am

Post by Gammagooey »

ah fuck
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/0 ... ore-433401

crypt of the necrodancer is $3.75 USD so I probably have to get it even though I'm not going to play it much for a while
invisible inc. is $6.66 too but I already played the hell out of it

deals on kentucky route zero and darkest dungeon are in there too
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2686 (isolation #24) » Thu May 04, 2017 6:54 am

Post by Gammagooey »

I binged through The Sexy Brutale (http://store.steampowered.com/app/55259 ... y_Brutale/) friday night two weeks ago, it's a cool time-travel murder mystery type thing - all the staff are murdering the guests in a mansion and you have to figure out how to stop them one by one without actually interacting with any of them directly. It was little short but part of that's because I was rushing through a part or two near the end because I had already been playing for 6-7 hours straight and wanted to get to the ending.

The concept is amazing, and the execution is like 95% good, there's some minor irritation if you manage to solve some of the puzzles through trial and error without actually knowing what you're doing and why (which mostly can happen in the first two 'real' murders, the first is pretty much a tutorial), but you can just go back to the same area and follow some staff/people to figure out what was going on afterwards if you want to anyway. There are a few cool spots where you realize what triggered some things happening in the mansion at given times throughout the day, but most of the murders are pretty self-contained in their own areas so even though you know pretty much everything that's going on by the end, you don't need to really need to have much planned out movement/knowledge of what's happening to beat it which was a little anti-climactic.

I do recommend it though, I haven't played anything else that made me stay up til 4am to finish it in a long-ass time. If you like the idea/concept of it buy it and you won't be disappointed, if you are a little hesitant wait til it drops to $15 or $10 and play the shit out of it then.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2688 (isolation #25) » Thu May 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

I was probably up to 8-9 hours by the end (not counting a few more getting the last collectible things for an alternate ending) but it does feel like if they had just one more murder to solve it would have tied the game together really really well, especially if it was a little more demanding in making you visit multiple parts of the house for it. (the part I rushed through in particular I think was only used as a series of puzzles/things to find to get to another section of the house)
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2763 (isolation #26) » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:37 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

fuuuck persona 5 is so long, I've been playing it a lot since i got it earlyish-may and I just got to the halfway point I think yesterday

it's really good but my god game two real life months and I just unlocked what I
think
is the last party character
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2766 (isolation #27) » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:17 am

Post by Gammagooey »

Panzerjager wrote:
In post 2763, Gammagooey wrote:fuuuck persona 5 is so long, I've been playing it a lot since i got it earlyish-may and I just got to the halfway point I think yesterday

it's really good but my god game two real life months and I just unlocked what I
think
is the last party character
I just unlocked
haru
so I think we're in the same spot.
yep
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2776 (isolation #28) » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:38 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

Spent all my free time yesterday and today playing Pyre and finished it. Some pretty minor spoilers below.

Spoiler: Pyre
I played it for 12 hours and still don't feel actually good at the game. a large part of that is because you tend to free the characters you get good at and then figure out how to make the team work without them, but it feels pretty hard to switch between characters effectively (though I do think it's got a very high skill cap if you take into account what types of enemies you're facing before the rite and what talismans/characters to use against them and I didn't do that quite enough)

There's a minor theme of accepting failures that I like a lot - it encourages you to not save-scum/restart each rite by not having any losses stop the story from progressing and having some enemy teams that aren't straight baddies, and every member of your party + the enemy teams have little interlocking epilogues at the end of the game based on what happened to everyone and they were pretty excellent.

It also dragged some midgame, the gameplay didn't feel like it changed that much with different characters until lategame since 2-3 of them tend to fit a size 'type' and I personally tended to fill previous spots with similar teammates, and the story gets a lot sparser since it has to fit around you having kept/lost any combination of teammates.

There's definitely a lot of interesting, likeable characters that you want to learn more about, even your enemies, but it seems kind of caught between wanting to go deeper into them and both not being able to completely get around the variety of ways the player's path through the game can go and not wanting to drag the player through going against the same team too many times since the gameplay can feel repetitive if you don't change your team composition often.
It does have a very high skill ceiling and I'll probably start a new save file to see some of the stuff I missed, but I wouldn't recommend it over Bastion or Transistor unless you either really want to play some magic wasteland basketball instead of killing things or want to completely embrace the 'struggling through failure is always an option' motif they have through the game and never/almost never restart a rite and struggle on with the characters you're trying to save. I still definitely think it's worth the $20 personally but take that as you will.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2876 (isolation #29) » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:47 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

omfg I finally finished persona 5

I thought I had like 2 more months to go b/c of seeing there was a
valentines day special event
from YouTube videos until the last dungeon kept pushing in my face how FINAL everything was

The last dungeon and the combat is general was pretty damn good, it felt like there was such a lull in interesting bullshit happening from around
harus
dungeon til near the end, and the ending was standard persona-esque drama but still pretty good, esp. with the buildup to fighting the final boss.

Onto danganronpa v3 I guess
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2896 (isolation #30) » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:15 am

Post by Gammagooey »

Flameaxe wrote:
In post 2894, xRECKONERx wrote:who would be down for a Left 4 Dead multiplayer night for old time's sake?
uh yeah
I can't tonight in particular but very yes
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2965 (isolation #31) » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:56 am

Post by Gammagooey »

xRECKONERx wrote:the reviews weren't lying: god of war is a masterpiece
I'm not that far in yet so I dunno about masterpiece but it is REALLY good so far

I'm playing through on challenging so I'm dying at least once on most boss fights (and the opening areas before you actually get good skills/armor/etc were a biiiiitch), but figuring them out and beating them is really satisfying and there's a ton of cool exploration shit to do and the game is godamn beautiful

greenmangaming has it a few bucks off btw assuming you just want the digital download, was 10% off over the weekend and it looks like 5% off now still
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2990 (isolation #32) » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:24 am

Post by Gammagooey »

So Warhammer: Vermintide 2 is free for the weekend and I'm planning on checking it out

Anyone else trying it? I just keep hearing that it's Left 4 Dead Warhammer edition
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #3187 (isolation #33) » Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:25 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

So I was going through the steamdeals subreddit and saw The Cat Lady is on sale for $2.20 - since I got it for free from Parama in this very thread ages ago and liked it a lot, if anyone's interested in playing it let me know and I'll buy you a copy! (until the steam sale ends in early Jan)

It's a very melancholy adventure game about a lonely, middle-aged woman who after *events*, is brought back to life and forced to find & kill 5 horrific murderers before the "Queen of Maggots" will let her have peace. It's a bit janky, very gory, and is is only recommended to people who are fine dealing with depictions of suicide, cannibalism, and other potentially traumatic topics, but it's interesting and weird and I think very worth playing if you think you'd be into a game at this weird intersection of depression and dealing with it contrasted against gore and more typical "horror" settings & villains.

Other things that I think are neat and are on sale FYI:
Hades ($12.50)
Celeste ($5)
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #3189 (isolation #34) » Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:18 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

Jan 5th