volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:54 pm

Post by volxen »

Hi Huntress!

Damn, I
REALLY
messed up in this game I guess lol! This was only my second game on the site, so I hope after the game is over I can get feedback from everyone on how to improve my scumgame. I'm not exactly sure where I went wrong, but somehow I became a near universal scumread, and every post I made seemed to just convince everyone even more that I was scum :(. I thought doing things like providing reads and calling out people on things I thought were scummy would maybe come off as towny, but
EVERYTHING
I tried backfired on me! The hard part is I'm still not entirely sure what made me come off as so scummy to everyone, and I definitely don't want to repeat any mistakes I made in this game in future scumgames.

So I really would appreciate any advice to help me with future scumgames. In particular, how to go about doing things like proving feasible fake town/null/scum reads, and how to give off the impression that I am actively doing things to help the town when in reality I am actively working against the town's win condition.
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (isolation #1) » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:56 pm

Post by volxen »

providing not proving*
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (isolation #2) » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:13 pm

Post by volxen »

I'm really surprised my scumbuddies chose you for the nightkill. I definitely wouldn't have chosen you as my nightkill, especially since you were one of my "scumreads", and had I made it to day two, I was going to continue to try to scumpaint you :P. Maybe my scumbuddies chose you because you (well, your predecessor 2.718) were the first person I listed as a scumread, and they figured that no one would believe that you were scum since I flipped scum? Or maybe they figured that you were less likely to be watched by the watcher than some of the other players.

I actually had a specific strategy in mind for nightkills, but I never got to share it with my scumbuddies since I didn't make it to night 1.
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (isolation #3) » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:00 pm

Post by volxen »

In post 7, Huntress wrote:Sorry for not getting back here earlier. I'll look at this tomorrow and see if I can explain why I was reading you as scum.
Thanks, that would really be helpful!
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (isolation #4) » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Post by volxen »

Hi Dunn,

This group is one tough crowd LOL!
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (isolation #5) » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:56 pm

Post by volxen »

Hi Ausuka!
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (isolation #6) » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:08 pm

Post by volxen »

So what made you so confident that I was scum Ausuka? Was it really because of my entrance to the game and the fact that I opened by questioning GameNBurger about his whole "don't townread me because of my math proof" thing? I feel like everyone locked onto me because of that. :( It would be really helpful if you could share with me how you determined that I was scum.

Playing scum is a lot harder than I thought it would be, LOL. I kind of froze up in the role... I think I just got too paranoid in trying to analyze my every word and make sure all of my posts come across as towny. It's hard to fake everything and write your posts from a town perspective when you already know who is scum and who is town. Faking reads is hard, because when you fake townread/scumread someone you have to ask yourself if you would townread/scumread that person if you were town in the game. It's just so different trying to convincingly fake everything compared to legitimately trying to gamesolve. I tried to always ask myself the question, "what would I say/do in this situation if I were town?", but it was still really hard being scum in this game.

But there is something fun about being scum -- it's such a different experience compared to being town. I think in my case, I probably just wasn't really prepared to be scum this early in my mafia "career". The only game that I was in prior to this game was a newbie game (in which I was town), so this was my first scum game ever (and second game overall). But having played both town and scum now, I do think scum is the harder alignment to be successful with. I definitely do want to play scum again in the future, but I also want to get a fair amount of town games under my belt so I'm more prepared for future scum games.

And Dunn, I'm thinking maybe you shouldn't have so casually dropped me as a town read on day one, lol. :P

Anyways Ausuka, I guess it's good for you that I got lynched day one, because I was
seriously
going to push for you to be the night kill on night one (if I had made it to night one). I felt that you were too smart and dangerous of a town player to keep alive, especially since you already seemed to be suspicious of both Dunn and me. And I guess I was right about you being too smart and dangerous to keep alive, seeing as how your now in the dead thread with us. :P
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (isolation #7) » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:47 pm

Post by volxen »

Hello TW! You seem to be in all of my games dude, lol. Can you let me know how exactly you locked onto me as scum? What made you so convinced that I was more likely to be scum than Sesq, especially since you previously said that I was "one rung townier" than Sesq? What ultimately made you decide to vote for me rather than Sesq during the final hours of day 1?

Also, you mentioned that my fakeclaim was unbelievable. What could I have done to make my fakeclaim more believable? Would it have been more believable if I had listed the full description of the role I was claiming (Town Watcher)?

This was what I said in my post where I fakeclaimed Town Watcher:

"I really don't want to out myself, but I have no choice with getting to L-1 so close to the deadline. I'm the watcher."

But what if I had said this for my fakeclaim instead:

"Since intent to hammer has been placed on me, I have no choice but to make a full roleclaim. My role is
Town Watcher
. During each night phase, I am able to target a player and watch them. I will see which players target them (if anybody does)."

Would that fakeclaim be a lot more believable than the one I actually made? I'm not exactly sure where I went so wrong in this game, but I know that I did, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (isolation #8) » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:50 pm

Post by volxen »

One mislynch down, two more to go! I hope my last remaining scumbuddy can pull this off!
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (isolation #9) » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:36 pm

Post by volxen »

Would it have been more believable if I had just claimed Town Backup then? Would that have convinced you to push Sesq instead of myself, or were you locked onto me no matter what?

Why must scum be so much harder than town! :(
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (isolation #10) » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:40 pm

Post by volxen »

In post 31, the worst wrote:
In post 27, volxen wrote:You seem to be in all of my games dude, lol.
I hope I'm not getting boring yet.. :lol:
No, you're fun to play with when you're not accusing me of being scum. :lol: At least we have had one game together as the same alignment... but I really need to win this one to get you back for Newbie 1885! :P

I was actually curious if you thinking that I was scum in Newbie 1888 had anything to do with this game.
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (isolation #11) » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:50 pm

Post by volxen »

In post 34, Dunnstral wrote:If I knew who the watcher was as scum, I wouldn't kill them off until the end, probably

What's interesting as to how this all played out is scum didn't get any pre-game chat or anything and we only have night chat
You're telling me lol. I felt like I was all on my own. :(
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (isolation #12) » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:24 pm

Post by volxen »

@The Worst, if you can think of any completed games were scum successfully fakeclaimed, would you mind linking to them here? I would like to get an idea of what a successful fakeclaim looks like for future reference. It sounds like a lot of preparation beforehand is necessary to make the fakeclaim believable, as opposed to trying to do it on the spot when your about to be lynched (like I did in this game :lol:).

Though I'm thinking the setup in this game isn't really the best setup for a fakeclaim, as even if the watcher gets mislynched a new watcher will be chosen, so you don't lose a night of watching in the event that the watcher is mislynched. So in other words, even if I really was the watcher, there really wasn't a lot of risk in mislynching me. Which some people pointed out after I fakeclaimed watcher.

But I could see how fakeclaiming could especially be useful in newbie games, where the setup is always one of the following:

ABC
Mafia
Mafia Roleblocker
Mafia Rolecop
Mafia Goon
Row 1
Town Cop and Town Neapolitan
Town Cop and Town Tracker
Town Cop and Vanilla Townie
Row 2
Town Jailkeeper and Town Doctor
Town Jailkeeper and Town Tracker
Town Jailkeeper and Vanilla Townie
Row 3
Town Cop and Town Doctor
Town Neapolitan and Town Doctor
Town Tracker and Town Doctor

Especially if the setup is something from column C, and the one true town power role has already either roleclaimed or died, so then you as scum could claim to be another power role as if the setup were something from column A or column B, and no one could truthfully counterclaim you since there is only really one town power role, but none of the townies know that for sure. Would that be a pretty good strategy as scum in newbie games, especially if the setup is something from column C and you know for sure that you can't be truthfully counterclaimed? I don't mean to fakeclaim right off the bat of course, but in the event that I was about to be lynched. Just wondering if that would be a pretty safe strategy to pull off as scum in newbie games, because unlike in this game there are real consequences to mislynching a town power role in newbie games.
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #46 (isolation #13) » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:29 pm

Post by volxen »

I meant if the setup was specifically either C1 or C2, and the one true town power role (cop or jailkeeper) has already been outed.
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #48 (isolation #14) » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:40 pm

Post by volxen »

Hi NSG! Welcome to the afterlife... :lol:
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (isolation #15) » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Post by volxen »

I can't wait to see who gets mislynched next! :twisted:
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60 (isolation #16) » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:18 pm

Post by volxen »

Oh this is getting interesting. Just one more mislynch to go!
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #61 (isolation #17) » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:28 pm

Post by volxen »

Welcome Keyser. I'm really surprised you got mislynched today!!! I thought you were objectively one of the most towny players in the entire game, which is why I buddied/defended you and had you as my single "townread" on day 1 (I thought you were the easiest person to convincingly have as a "townread"). As you correctly pointed out to people, I used you as a springboard to attack and scumpaint people who tried to attack you (e.g., Huntress[2.781]).

It's strange to me that so many people thought you were scum!
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #62 (isolation #18) » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:32 pm

Post by volxen »

I can't wait to see who gets nightkilled next by my scumbuddy!
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (isolation #19) » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:36 am

Post by volxen »

In post 64, Keyser Söze wrote:I really hope the Town Watcher wins us the game here - who have they been watching all game?!
No!!! Let's hope they watch the wrong person again. Or maybe the watcher will just get nightkilled? That would be pretty funny! :lol: Either way, I really want to see The Worst lose this game, as I need to get him back for beating me in my very first game on this site (he was scum and I was town)! :twisted:
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (isolation #20) » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:15 pm

Post by volxen »

@Keyser have you solved the game yet?
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #69 (isolation #21) » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:57 am

Post by volxen »

WOW Reundo, welcome! I'm very surprised my scumbuddy nightkilled you! I thought you were being lined up for the next mislynch. I really hope you weren't being watched last night...
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #73 (isolation #22) » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:44 am

Post by volxen »

@Reundo have you solved the game yet?
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #80 (isolation #23) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:16 pm

Post by volxen »

In post 78, Keyser Söze wrote:Ok I’m convinced it’s Eragon now. Send me spoilers flicker x
Put me out my misery.

Why did he NK Reundo anyway? :/ I thought scum win was in the bag with the keyser-Reundo lynches lined up.
Yeah I don't get the Reundo nightkill either... that was like the climatic twist at the end of the movie that
NO ONE
sees coming -- kind of like the Keyser Soze twist at the end of The Usual Suspects actually! :lol: . I really hope my scumbuddy can still pull this off! I think it's going to be a lot harder than if he/she just kept Reundo alive though, because the whole dichotomy of there having to be scum among {Keyser and Reundo} was just perfect.
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #81 (isolation #24) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:19 pm

Post by volxen »

@Flicker, do you still want us to refrain from going into spoilers here, or can we freely talk about the game and who the last scum is? I was curious about this as I think everyone that has died now knows who the last scum is, and the game is now in lylo.
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #84 (isolation #25) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:03 pm

Post by volxen »

Spoiler:
I really hope Eragon is able to pull off a Tora mislynch here!!! It seems that is really his only play here. Nauci is now considered confirmed town since Eragon did not claim watcher himself. And Nauci and Irrelephant have formed a townblock, so Eragon has to convince those two that Tora is scum. It's pretty clear at this point that either Eragon or Tora is going to be the final lynch, so winning over both Nauci and Irrelephant is the key to winning this game. Nightkilling Reundo has definitely made this game
A LOT
more difficult for Eragon, but I still think he may be able to pull off a Tora mislynch. While Tora is town here, objectively he has done some very suspect things (e.g., like hammering Keyser when he was TOWNREADING him - WTF was up with that anyways?!!!) which Eragon absolutely needs to capitalize on. Eragon should also point out that Tora was on my wagon and make the argument that I was likely bussed by one of my scumpartners, since the narrative that I was almost certainly bussed on day one for town credit has been a popular narrative all game long. And Eragon wasn't on my wagon whereas Tora was on it.

Go Eragon! Let's get Tora mislynched and win this thing!!!
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #85 (isolation #26) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:12 pm

Post by volxen »

Spoiler:
In post 2434, Toranaga wrote:
In post 385, Dunnstral wrote:tinfoil theory: Eragon is scum and his partner(s) felt the need to welcome him in thread to try to seem like they're not talking in pt

Not a serious theory jsut something to consider I guess
Uh-oh, I
REALLY
hope that doesn't do us in Dunnstral, lol. :shifty:
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #88 (isolation #27) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:26 pm

Post by volxen »

Spoiler:
In post 87, Keyser Söze wrote:VOTE: eragon

Can someone please hammer
I see your Eragon vote and raise you with a Toranaga vote:

VOTE: Toranaga

Sorry Keyser, but I realllllly want to beat The Worst here!
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (isolation #28) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:32 pm

Post by volxen »

Spoiler:
It looks like Irrelephant may be leaning towards scum!Toranaga over scum!Eragon based on the nightkill analysis that he has done so far:
In post 2471, Irrelephant11 wrote:nightkill analysis?

N1, scum just flipped, and I'm Toranaga talking with my partner Dunnstral about this playerlist:
northsidegal
Sesq
Huntress
Ausuka
Eragon
Keyser Söze
the worst
Irrelephant11
Reundo

I kill Huntress over anyone else because Huntress called out two of us as scum in and they're unlikely to be watched

or

I'm eragon with my partner dunnstral, and we kill Huntress over anyone else just because they were right-ish about volxen and it would maybe frame keyser a little (keyser who no one suspected)

N2, I'm Toranaga and I've successfully bussed both my partners to death. I'm looking at this playerlist
northsidegal
Sesq
Ausuka
Eragon
Keyser Söze
the worst
Irrelephant11
Reundo

I kill Ausuka over anyone else because she put all three of the scumteam in her PoE D1 in and she stayed accurate in . she's scary accurate and I basically become her fav tunnel until she compromises on my scumpartner. Way too scary, needs death, even though she's somewhat mislynchable. Look at ! Bottom of her reads all day. And maybe she's the watcher (sidenote: her watcher crumb was in response to a Tora post). is yikes! given she's the only one calling me out
-->definitely the best kill from tora' POV, after Ausuka died he was much more widely ignored/townread

or

I'm eragon and Ausuka has called me out as being underwhelming in 637 and I'm newly in her PoE. She doesn't ever really call me out fully but I'm in her 715. I'm not *really* afraid of her though because of , so mostly I'm just aiming for killing the watcher. is yikes!
given she's the only one calling me out
but given the wagon on me EOD she's a better nightkill than Irrelephant
-->Kinda feel like eragon would have shot tw here
In post 2472, Irrelephant11 wrote:toranaga definitely gets more scumpoints from the first two nightkills, but they make some sense from eragon's pov too, so it's not 100% clear yet
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #91 (isolation #29) » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:10 pm

Post by volxen »

Spoiler:
In post 2534, Nauci wrote:I didn't get through enough of the game last night so I'll have to come back for this later

but I keep imagining NSG in the dead thread shouting at us to not let Tora end game us
Yes that's right Nauci... listen to NSG and don't get endgamed by Tora! :lol:
volxen
volxen
Mafia Scum
volxen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #94 (isolation #30) » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:17 pm

Post by volxen »

Spoiler:
Come on Eragon! Let's get Tora mislynched!

Return to “Completed Game Topics”