What is truly Bastard - and what is not?

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
2 718281828459
2 718281828459
Goon
2 718281828459
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:24 am

Post by 2 718281828459 »

In post 24, Frozen Angel wrote:
In post 22, vonflare wrote:are alignment changes totally in control of the player being changed bastard? for example,

"You are a town doctor. At night, instead of performing your action you may choose to become a neutral survivor instead"

chosen alignment change instead of forced.

discuss?
there is one bastard part of it that still remains:

for every other player, their content before the alignment change was a from a town mindset and their content from after the alignment change is from a survivor mindset. Now their wincondition and agenda is changed so using their previous posts to understand what they were doing and what are they is technically useless. But the other players won't know that's possible if the game is not announced at Bastard. Technically for mechanics like this, I suggest completely open or semi-open setup or mechanics or just announcing bastardness just to be safe.
Uhhh... this role is useless. If you activate it and die, then you lose. If you do not activate it and still die, then you may still win if town wins.

But the argument is invalid. For example, what about replacements? The replacement will play differently from the other.
Retired Account
. I have no replacement.

After 2 years (almost exactly!) of inactivity I am giving MafiaScum a second chance...

Nah. I'm gone. Again.
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:44 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

it's not about playing differently

its about having different motivations/final goal/wincondition.

and the arguement is still very valid.
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:48 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

Bastardness is about in-game integrity breach. Its about if players have fair chance in figuring the game out. changing someone wincondition is bastard because of that regardless if they do it willingly or unwillingly.

Invisibility
Invisibility
he or she
Jack of All Trades
Invisibility
he or she
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he or she

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:03 am

Post by Invisibility »

i agree with fa
Invisibility is actually AWESOME!
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:58 am

Post by callforjudgement »

A doctor that can become a survivor isn't fully useless. In fact, it's fairly powerful: if they ever end up in mylo or lylo, they can convert at that moment, claim, and start voting random players until there's a scum quickhammer for the mafia+survivor win. So the game balances as though the role were scum, even though it can win with town if town does well.

I don't think it's bastard on that player themself: they know from the start that helping town and helping scum are both potentially viable paths to victory, and are fully informed in making their choice. However, it may be somewhat bastard on the rest of the players because it's hard to guess and effectively impossible to balance around.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:31 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

yeah exactly

2 718281828459
2 718281828459
Goon
2 718281828459
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:39 am

Post by 2 718281828459 »

OK, but:
(1) No one responded to my post about delayed roles.
(2) For deciding to change your role willingly, you will probably play as though both are possible. Like the doc that can become a survivor, how could someone tell that apart from a scum who was just really good at faking town. Although I guess if you had no idea that it was in the game...
(This reminds me of a miccro I just completed where I was a serial killer and thought
for sure
that there would be mafia, especially considering I was 1-shot BP, but there was none.
(3) "Its about if players have fair chance in figuring the game out." But then what if you just have a closed game with lots of Normal roles but it is near impossible to figure out and scum might think it is MyLo with a Doctor-proof kill and play accordingly only to get jailed.
Retired Account
. I have no replacement.

After 2 years (almost exactly!) of inactivity I am giving MafiaScum a second chance...

Nah. I'm gone. Again.
2 718281828459
2 718281828459
Goon
2 718281828459
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:47 am

Post by 2 718281828459 »

In post 12, Frozen Angel wrote:Also the cults = midgame alignment changes

you can't for certain say what you were doing day 1 is actually beneficial for your final win condition = game integrity breach = bastardness

It's not about what someone like or dislike and it has nothing to do with certain game balances. It's about the nature of "lie" in it and how deeply it can intefer with the mindsets and the natural process of the game
One more thing. When you play mafia, most of your play is uncertain. When you lynch someone, you do not know if it is towards your win condition or not until after the lynch. A doc who protected a known cop may seem to be useful until it messes up the parity in a forced-lynch game. A jailer tries to save a probable lynch target in night 3v2, but unfortunately that target was an important PR and town loses the LyLo.
Having there be a chance of an alignment change is just another layer of uncertainty just like with any complication.

Here is my post about delayed alignments, for reference:
In post 21, 2 718281828459 wrote:Another question about alignment changes.
What about if you have "no alignment" until you are given an alignment later? Examples:
1. In a multiball game, you are told that you will be drafted to a random scum team, starting night 2.
2. Your role is "uncertain": if the Mafia attack you in the first three nights, you become a Mafia. If that does not happen then you become locked-in town.
3. Divide the players into 4 groups: Red, Green, Blue, and Neutral. The first three colors each have a factional attack kills members of a specific faction (Red can kill Green, Green can kill Blue, Blue can kill Red), and irreversibly recruits a Neutral. (If a Neutral dies by lynch, then that player simply loses.)

In any of these cases, you would
know
that it is happening, and until you get drafted you receive no alignment.

(3 is specific because I might actually want to run that some time.)
Retired Account
. I have no replacement.

Nah. I'm gone. Again.
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:38 am

Post by vonflare »

I think midgame alignment changes that the player can control are not bastard.
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:37 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 32, 2 718281828459 wrote:Having there be a chance of an alignment change is just another layer of uncertainty just like with any complication.
It is not just another layer of uncertainity.
It is a layer that harms the dayplay of town like none other. Because it makes town reads from earlier days potentially useless - a horrible thing for scumhunting. In any game where you can assume there might be midgame alignment changes the reads
will
suffer as a result.
But then what if you just have a closed game with lots of Normal roles but it is near impossible to figure out and scum might think it is MyLo with a Doctor-proof kill and play accordingly only to get jailed.
Here is a hint: Usually people massclaim before or at MYLO. If scum is so dumb and quickhammers without knowing the setup and get jailed then they deserve this. To quickhammer in MYLO, there need to be two stray votes from town...
2 718281828459
2 718281828459
Goon
2 718281828459
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:26 am

Post by 2 718281828459 »

And
no one
even begins to try to answer my question about delayed alignments.

Games with known alignment changes are about finding
changes
in behavior. Someone who is always relaxed suddenly becomes very tense => lynch them. Someone who played moderately scummy all game but consistently => probably town or else started out in the cult. Lynch if scummy enough, else leave intact. Someone who has played pro-town all game and suddenly claims real-life events have messed up their play => be suspicious (they could be lying about the real-life events) especially if the new play looks very scummy.

We already have replacements. What if (in a non-cult game) someone who was a really good scum player no one ever would suspect needs replacement, and the replacement is horrible at playing scum and gets lynched that very day?
Retired Account
. I have no replacement.

Nah. I'm gone. Again.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:26 pm

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 35, 2 718281828459 wrote:And
no one
even begins to try to answer my question about delayed alignments.

Games with known alignment changes are about finding
changes
in behavior. Someone who is always relaxed suddenly becomes very tense => lynch them. Someone who played moderately scummy all game but consistently => probably town or else started out in the cult. Lynch if scummy enough, else leave intact. Someone who has played pro-town all game and suddenly claims real-life events have messed up their play => be suspicious (they could be lying about the real-life events) especially if the new play looks very scummy.
We already have replacements. What if (in a non-cult game) someone who was a really good scum player no one ever would suspect needs replacement, and the replacement is horrible at playing scum and gets lynched that very day?
For delayed alignments see below.
But basically, what you described is part the problem. The margin of error becomes much wider. Sure, sudden and extreme changes overnight will be seen, just like scumslips. But any player worth it will be careful to avoid that. And with minor changes in behaviour, the margin of error becomes extreme because that can be reasoned on daily mood,
the state of the game
which inconveniently changes with every night, just like alignments - and then there is the starting cult who needs to be found as well, with other methods. The next problem with games with alignment changes is that they are notoriously difficult to balance, even by experts, and that is another reason why those reside in the bastard category.
What about if you have "no alignment" until you are given an alignment later? Examples:
1. In a multiball game, you are told that you will be drafted to a random scum team, starting night 2.
2. Your role is "uncertain": if the Mafia attack you in the first three nights, you become a Mafia. If that does not happen then you become locked-in town.
3. Divide the players into 4 groups: Red, Green, Blue, and Neutral. The first three colors each have a factional attack kills members of a specific faction (Red can kill Green, Green can kill Blue, Blue can kill Red), and irreversibly recruits a Neutral. (If a Neutral dies by lynch, then that player simply loses.)

know

1. The problem with this is not so much the alignment change from scum to specific scum but the fact that there is no team at all the first two days(searching teams becomes a nightmare) and that with uneven numbers, you have to gimp one scumteam to possibly 1(or 2 depending on the game) without the fault of the scum who remains(as they couldn't even try to help their teammate). If its fully random then it is even more atrocious, e.g. 4v2 scum. My advice: Don't run this.
2. That's basically a cultafia with certain restrictions on conversion and kills. Nothing new. Although at least the recruitment stops at some point.
3. That's not a game of Mafia. It belongs into Mish Mash/LSG. And I would strongly advise against running it.
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:38 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

In post 31, 2 718281828459 wrote:OK, but:
(1) No one responded to my post about delayed roles.
(2) For deciding to change your role willingly, you will probably play as though both are possible. Like the doc that can become a survivor, how could someone tell that apart from a scum who was just really good at faking town. Although I guess if you had no idea that it was in the game...
(This reminds me of a miccro I just completed where I was a serial killer and thought
for sure
that there would be mafia, especially considering I was 1-shot BP, but there was none.
(3) "Its about if players have fair chance in figuring the game out." But then what if you just have a closed game with lots of Normal roles but it is near impossible to figure out and scum might think it is MyLo with a Doctor-proof kill and play accordingly only to get jailed.
1) I answer after this
2) That is if you know you have that option since the start of the game. Still, others won't know a double agent win condition thing that can backstab them is on the table if the game is not bastard and they can't hunt for it. Mafia is all about how good are players in deducing what alignment are others. if you remove this ability from them by increasing the factors without letting them know when you're not running mafia- that's why you must announce that your game is bastard before it runs.
3) Balancing games are another subject. I never said bastard games are bad. Unannounced bastard games are bad. Unbalanced games are worse than that. On another note, The game setting should not always be figurable. That's not the point of announcing the game is bastard. For most bastard games even if you announce its bastard the game setting is not figurable.

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:44 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

In post 32, 2 718281828459 wrote:
In post 12, Frozen Angel wrote:Also the cults = midgame alignment changes

you can't for certain say what you were doing day 1 is actually beneficial for your final win condition = game integrity breach = bastardness

It's not about what someone like or dislike and it has nothing to do with certain game balances. It's about the nature of "lie" in it and how deeply it can intefer with the mindsets and the natural process of the game
One more thing. When you play mafia, most of your play is uncertain. When you lynch someone, you do not know if it is towards your win condition or not until after the lynch. A doc who protected a known cop may seem to be useful until it messes up the parity in a forced-lynch game. A jailer tries to save a probable lynch target in night 3v2, but unfortunately that target was an important PR and town loses the LyLo.
Having there be a chance of an alignment change is just another layer of uncertainty just like with any complication.

Here is my post about delayed alignments, for reference:

know

This is a very wrong way of arguing. Yes, the mafia is an uncertain game but just until moderator rands people alignment. The game is not uncertain after randomizing it's just that players are in blank state and are not informed about the certainties. That doesn't mean you won't know or that you can't try to win the game. Also, that's way different than randomly changing something midgame and that's why moderators can not have direct influence in-game midgame. It's totally ok if a moderator is putting a random element in the game before the game starts when designing it. they can't add something random to the game on their own will cause that will destroy the certain state behind everything that players were trying to figure it out (what I called an integrity breach).

Regarding the other question You having no alignment means "pregame" for all purposes. there is no point in playing the game till you know how can you win it. (or at least to know some hints about how can you win the game)

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:45 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

I'll talk about the rest of the posts in the thread in the next few hours. I have to go out atm so sorry!

2 718281828459
2 718281828459
Goon
2 718281828459
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:45 am

Post by 2 718281828459 »

OK, clearly my examples of delayed alignments were awful.

About the one where you got recruited if attacked in the first three days, that role was only going to be given to 1-2 players, with the rest being locked-in town or locked-in scum. Although I guess then the game has other problems with it depending heavily on the randomness of hitting one of those targets. But even then, that is simply a
badly-designed
game, which is not what we are talking about.

Also, in all "delayed alignment" games that I was considering, you have a temporary goal of surviving. So, if you get lynched before you receive an alignment, you just plain lose. People may read your lack of effort as scummy and lynch you, and if you claim, they might be suspicious of you if you do get drafted as scum.

Something that might be more balanced is this: you join the same team as the day-1 lynch victim, and you get a vanilla role. (That does not mean the day-1 lynch is useless -- hitting scum can give information and hitting town might destroy a useful PR.)
EDIT: But let's not get into the specifics of one kind of delayed-alignment setup.
Retired Account
. I have no replacement.

Nah. I'm gone. Again.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:15 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 40, 2 718281828459 wrote:OK, clearly my examples of delayed alignments were awful.

About the one where you got recruited if attacked in the first three days, that role was only going to be given to 1-2 players, with the rest being locked-in town or locked-in scum. Although I guess then the game has other problems with it depending heavily on the randomness of hitting one of those targets. But even then, that is simply a
badly-designed

Also, in all "delayed alignment" games that I was considering, you have a temporary goal of surviving. So, if you get lynched before you receive an alignment, you just plain lose. People may read your lack of effort as scummy and lynch you, and if you claim, they might be suspicious of you if you do get drafted as scum.

Something that might be more balanced is this: you join the same team as the day-1 lynch victim, and you get a vanilla role. (That does not mean the day-1 lynch is useless -- hitting scum can give information and hitting town might destroy a useful PR.)
EDIT: But let's not get into the specifics of one kind of delayed-alignment setup.
All delayed alignment games are per definition imbalanced or at least extremely swingy, and very likely unfun. And often not mafia games at all.
I have no problems to put these firmly in the bastard category, because you can practically not make a good game out of these. Show me one balanced, fun example of a delayed aligment game and we can talk about this. Until then...
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:42 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

In post 40, 2 718281828459 wrote:OK, clearly my examples of delayed alignments were awful.

badly-designed

So they are a survivor at start and they get their alignment after on. thats pretty much just a normal alignment change and nothing else and its bastard for every other reason I mentioned. and again being bastard is not bad. its just a type of game that must be clarified before start signing up.

2 718281828459
2 718281828459
Goon
2 718281828459
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:53 am

Post by 2 718281828459 »

In post 42, Frozen Angel wrote:So they are a survivor at start and they get their alignment after on. thats pretty much just a normal alignment change and nothing else
No, because you know
for sure
that your "survivor" role is temporary. With a cult, you may get recruited on day 1, day 5, right before LyLo, or never.
And trying to survive for the entire game is much different than trying to survive for the first three rounds or so. This is not a normal alignment change
at all
Retired Account
. I have no replacement.

Nah. I'm gone. Again.
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:15 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

Yes I can agree that it's less bastard since its not as ambiguous alignment change as cult is

Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:00 pm

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

A bit late to the party, but how is this definition of Bastard?

Bastard is a game in which the intentional optimal play of a game is to play sub-optimally.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:52 pm

Post by popsofctown »

That doesn't encapsulate Jester, though I guess it hits secret Miller, cult, and some other stuff
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:08 pm

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

For Jester, as town you kinda have to play sub-optimally because a convincing Jester would be on par with an unconvincing Mafia, and an intentionally unconvincing Mafia is on par with an unconvincing Jester.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:57 pm

Post by popsofctown »

They're probably not exactly equal, though.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:56 am

Post by Ramcius »

Considering most people don't play optimally anyway, bastard is just same as regular game then?

Return to “Mafia Discussion”