Song Contest 123 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:36 am

Post by Shadoweh »

It is not the same song. :(
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:25 am

Post by Plotinus »

In post 25, Shadoweh wrote:It is not the same song. :(
which one? the one scigatt linked for Hungary or the one i linked for Macau?

The one scigatt linked didn't work in Europe but I found an unrestricted one for Hungary that I'm sure is the same as the original song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90YBl1BR1nw

If you can hear the Macau one, can you find one that works and is the same song? Check here for restrictions: http://polsy.org.uk/stuff/ytrestrict.cgi
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:44 am

Post by Song Contest »

Alternative links added for Hungary and Macau. Thanks for the heads-up.
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:28 am

Post by Shadoweh »

In post 26, Plotinus wrote:
In post 25, Shadoweh wrote:It is not the same song. :(
which one? the one scigatt linked for Hungary or the one i linked for Macau?
Oh haha no I'm talking about what Parama said about my song
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:17 am

Post by Parama »

the point is that i don't have anything to say about it that I didn't say about your entry last contest
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:50 am

Post by Scigatt »

Also, please use this link for Belarus. The sound is cleaner.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:25 am

Post by Parama »

Macau – A bit slow to start but once it got going I enjoyed this a decent bit. Something about the vocal melodies, especially. (DECENT)

Hungary – I always get this band confused with the Black Crowes for some reason. Anyways uuhh I liked this one too, actually. Quite a bit. It’s just pleasant but lyrically has enough emotional weight to it to be pretty compelling. I dunno, I was kinda surprised I liked this as much as I did really. (GOOD)

Latvia – I’m sure I’ve said before that I don’t like low-pitched vocals like this. Or this style of music in general. This one felt especially repetitive, just repeating the same vibe and the same piano melodies ad infinitum until the song ended. It’s not unpleasant but it is aggressively boring. (MEDIOCRE)

Belarus – I think this could’ve potentially worked & honestly there’s moments of this here I dig a lot but the vocalist is just… not very good. Sounds kinda like the simple plan dude, which, yeah, try not to do that. I feel like with a better hook this could’ve been really cool but I think I still like it well enough regardless, if only due to some of the guitar work (DECENT)

Slovenia – It bothers me how “off” so many of the melodies in this song feel, it’s like they keep changing the key in the middle of their melodic phrases. It just makes the song have this herky jerky feel to it that flies in the face of any sort of flow. I could see myself being more into this, it’s basically a movie soundtrack but with added guitars & mediocre vocals, but the aforementioned melodic issue dampers my enjoyment of this overall. (AVERAGE)

Norway – I have absolutely nothing to say about this. It’s pleasant enough but it’s about as generic as generic rock gets. (AVERAGE)

Ukraine – Seems to be better than the average rap song but at the same time I got bored of it by the halfway point because, as ever, it’s stagnant and repetitive and I don’t care about lyrics so.
Show

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

Nosferatu
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:29 am

Post by Nosferatu »

PHILIPPINeS GETS A 10

THAT IS ALL
BRASIL BRASIL BRASIL BRRRRR
last.fm
gtkas
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:12 pm

Post by Parama »

Sudan – Bill Wurtz is a talented enough musician and video producer but all his music literally just sounds like commercial music to me, I can’t take it seriously. It works totally fine in the “history of the X” videos though especially in just snippets but ehh. I can’t even really rate this because I can barely parse this as actually a song. Maybe it’ll get low points if there isn’t enough other stuff to give points to.

Ireland – Not super bothered by this, he’s a solid enough singer, but it’s kind of… empty, at least for my tastes. The most he can do to add any kind of swell is that echo-effect and it just doesn’t make for a satisfying build-up. I could see a shorter rendition of this working as an interlude track on an album or something but on its own it’s just… fine enough. (AVERAGE)

Bhutan – I listened to about half of this and absolutely nothing about it is for me.

Liechtenstein – Pleasant enough I guess but I really have absolutely no thoughts on this. I sat here and listened through the whole thing and it sounds like lounge music to me. You put it on in the background and it’s pleasant enough but you don’t really notice or care about it. Yes, I know who Art Garfunkel is. (MEDIOCRE)

USA – Dunno, I’ve just always been more for post-hardcore than pop-punk when it comes to stuff in this vein. The singer here isn’t really convincing me is the biggest issue though. It’s fine enough but pretty forgettable. (AVERAGE)

Tanzania – I’ve probably reiterated my stance on mashups a billion times but they’re the kind of thing I can appreciate when they can make songs work together like this, but. I would never have any interest in listening to them on their own. Anyways this is a mashup of one really good song, two fine songs, and one kinda cruddy song, only picked based on their names, so it kind of works and kind of doesn’t. Oh well.

Philippines – K-pop is the most confusing genre to me because it just sounds like… early 2010’s American pop. All of it. And I mean this is. It’s fine. Kind of bland. I don’t really have much to say about this either. (AVERAGE)

mmm not a great contest either, save for that very brief streak of solid stuff in the middle
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:18 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 33, Parama wrote:Philippines – K-pop is the most confusing genre to me because it just sounds like… early 2010’s American pop. All of it. And I mean this is. It’s fine. Kind of bland. I don’t really have much to say about this either. (AVERAGE)
#NotAllKpop! XD

I mean, a lot of it sounds like Mid 90s boybands, and the girl groups can be really divergent!

I look forward to listening to this one!

But please tell me with a straight face that my last submission sounded early 2010s to you lmao
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:42 pm

Post by PJ. »

I like K-pop and yeah, parama's right. It's just American music from 3 years ago with Korean lyrics. And yeah, the dancing and shit is blueprint from nsync, just modern hip hop dancing. It's cool and great, but yeah, it's just American pop music but korean. That's why I kinda never understood why it caught on so hard. Idk..probably could provide examples but should probably do it in a different thread. Also kinda why I don't get why j-pop isn't more popular.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:19 pm

Post by Parama »

i post all my comments with a straight face
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:31 pm

Post by Plotinus »

I think this is the first time Parama liked my song!

Nosferatu
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Post by Nosferatu »

In post 33, Parama wrote:Philippines – K-pop is the most confusing genre to me because it just sounds like… early 2010’s American pop. All of it. And I mean this is. It’s fine. Kind of bland. I don’t really have much to say about this either. (AVERAGE)
i would not say that its 2010s american pop

id say that its a lot of 90s influences in song and group structure and kpop takes influences from literally anything even remotely popular.

kpop has caught on so big because it is the ultimate evolution in lowest common denominator pop

its not real artistic expression, it is a pure commodity and cultural export. You can see it by listening to kpop songs and seeing how all every song is in like all caps (easy to read) every group is like one word/acronym thats easy to remember, there is clear subdivision in group hierarchy with every member having an archetype like singer/dancer/rapper and some bands having members whose sole purpose is to speak in japanese or chinese for alternate language versions of their music.

its not music its a product

and its like a fucking sham wow imo cause that shit is lit af
last.fm
gtkas
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:01 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

My favorite part of song contest is where I consistently forget what/if I submitted and for a split second, I go "wow, someone submitted this song I happen to like- wait, that was me."
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:46 pm

Post by Parama »

it's the 90's boy band formula absolutely but it sounds way too modern in production style to be from any time earlier than this decade. tho the only big boy band this decade primarily stuck to rock instrumentation so

anyways there's been like, okay k-pop stuff sent in these contests before but mostly when they stray away from the really generic sounds. i recall liking at least one or two of them at some point
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:26 am

Post by PJ. »

I'm with Parama that musically it all sounds like American radio 3 years ago. Like if we're being honest, a lot of BTS sounds a lot like Chris Brown. Just saying.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Post by Parama »

except they don't beat women

as far as we know
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Nosferatu
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Nosferatu
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:23 pm

Post by Nosferatu »

id say that the reason i dont consider it to be a cc of american radio from 3 years ago is just how cobbled together kpop sounds

one song will have r&b singing, an electro drop, and a guitar solo

its like if you like stole bits and pieces of popular stuff from earlier this decade and just mashed it together
last.fm
gtkas
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:08 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 43, Nosferatu wrote:one song will have r&b singing, an electro drop, and a guitar solo
Sounds like Frank Ocean.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:16 pm

Post by Creature »

Egoing just so I don't forget about this.
Sigh
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:11 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

Macau: Heard it before, liked it, probably biased (going to see her live in a couple months), love the way the guitar bursts in for the solo

--

Tanzania: Expected gimmick, got gimmick, has enough of that funk sound that I'm weak for for me to like it

--

Ireland: Very impressed by the guitar playing, I suppose
Hungary: Had a nice atmosphere and IDK, I think triple time really helps the song here
Burkina Faso: Like the building, it's kind of too busy but it settles into a pretty nice mix of song elements
Iceland: This soul-rock kind of genre is hit or miss for me, and I'm never a huge fan of that filtered vocal sound
Lithuania: Underwhelming Arctic Monkeys track, pretty good instrumental solo

--

Macedonia: I anticipated disliking this based on the video image but these instrumental choices are quite good
Belarus: Singer toes the line between a tolerable part of an otherwise quite good track and a song ruiner, and it's all in that whiny way he ends his sentences
CAR: The bassline gives the track a slinking groove that I don't think fits
Sudan: Possibly Bill Wurtz's weakest chorus
Ukraine: Lol, who submitted this? I can't unhear that other song that it was mashed up with, the title of which I do not know

--

Hong Kong: Not my thing but less not my thing than the other things that aren't my thing
Bhutan: This song made me shudder and not in a particularly good way
Norway: Not much to say
USA: Wasn't melodically diverse enough to hold my attention honestly
Slovenia: This doesn't do enough for it to be an instrumentally driven song I think
Philippines: Thought this could be good but then they started singing
Lebanon: Lacked weight and the instrumentals felt cheesy
Latvia: Not my thing
Liechtenstein: Nothing about this was really for me
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:48 pm

Post by Parama »

voted, pretty dull contest. relistening wasn't much fun at all

i'm gonna enter something with like, energy to it so y'all don't fall asleep in the middle of listening to the obligatory 4-5 soft rock songs the next contest is gonna have
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:16 pm

Post by Plotinus »

Remember to vote!

Empire
Empire
Mafia Scum
Empire
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:08 pm

Post by Empire »

i don't have time to listen to all these before the deadline but uhh bhutan owns so hard imo.

Return to “General Discussion”