Music Thread

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #350 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:30 am

Post by Psyche »

https://youtu.be/cwQgjq0mCdE

you know, im pretty sure the "statues" in this video are real women wrapped up in some kind of plastic as you can see them breathe; its grotesque visualization of the objectification of women really reminds me of Kanye's Monster video
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #351 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:03 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 347, UC Voyager wrote:Rob Zombie killed it and wasn't ever highly disturbing. I mean, there was the moment when he started playing hentai on the big screen, but i wouldnt really consider that disturbing.

He did enter sandman hella good, and he kept really good energy throughout the entire concert. i would have to say rob did better.
Oh, man. I came across this trailer the other day and had a "!!!!" moment. (8 seconds in)

Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
UC Voyager
UC Voyager
Mafia Scum
UC Voyager
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #352 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:21 am

Post by UC Voyager »

In post 350, Psyche wrote:https://youtu.be/cwQgjq0mCdE

you know, im pretty sure the "statues" in this video are real women wrapped up in some kind of plastic as you can see them breathe; its grotesque visualization of the objectification of women really reminds me of Kanye's Monster video
this song is trash
so...i don't get enough sleep
UC Voyager
UC Voyager
Mafia Scum
UC Voyager
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #353 (ISO) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:22 am

Post by UC Voyager »

i was listening to emenim then switched to listen to that and immediately regretted.
UC Voyager
UC Voyager
Mafia Scum
UC Voyager
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #354 (ISO) » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:00 am

Post by UC Voyager »

Omg. Finally got around to making an xxxtenation playlist on spotify. I'm so happy. Goes so well when your playing D3 or overwatch. Gives great momentum.

Someone told me I had to get into 21 savage so I listened onto a few of their songs and they all sounded rather bland.
Draynth
Draynth
Mafia Scum
Draynth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #355 (ISO) » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:29 pm

Post by Draynth »

The last song (starts 14:22) in this is pretty good

Here's the studio version

"just got my hands in cooking! feel free to give me suggestions. So far completed: noodle in soup, noodle stuffed clam over noodle, red white and bluedle american noodle, hot brown noodle"

Brand New, Improved, Totally Awesome GTKAS
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #356 (ISO) » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:02 am

Post by Papa Zito »

did anyone remember to wake up green day yesterday?
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #357 (ISO) » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:18 am

Post by Majiffy »

Oh shit no I hope Billie Joe is okay
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #358 (ISO) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:12 am

Post by Errantparabola »

I might post a song here every week or something, with a short paragraph description, just for fun.
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #359 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Post by PJ. »

That's a good idea
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #360 (ISO) » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:38 pm

Post by Chevre »

There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #361 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:44 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

1. ABSRDST -- Imaginary Friend

Music video
I don't think the music video is particularly interesting (it does contextualize the carnival sound at the end of the song and by extension the 3/4 beat in general), but there are both links.

Check this out if:

You're a fan of distortion-heavy, high impact electronic music. If you aren't and your reasoning is a dislike of overwhelming noise and clutter, I'd still say give this a try. It's pretty sparse in sound and it works really well in my opinion.

Things to look out for:

This song really relishes in its pacing, which I like a lot. Certain moments ("you are the only one I truly *HIT* miss *HIT*") are a lot more impactful because of the silence afforded to it by how slow it is. Each line is a bigger time investment (the word narcissistic in "that's just your narcissistic point of view" feels a lot longer than it is). The breakdown near the end is really cohesive with the rest of the song, doesn't go over the top, really solid.

--

Spoiler: EXTRANEOUS DIGRESSION ABOUT POLYRHYTHM
A part that grabs my attention at 0:43. I was really curious to figure this out, it seemed to me the vocals are in 3 and the backing hits are in 4 and it's hard to pin down because of how weirdly syncopated it is. Here's what I think is going on, notated so no musical knowledge is necessary.

To put it simply, the vocals are dividing the beat of the song into thirds: (
and
even //
if
you don't //
rea
lly ex //
ist
)
But the hits are dividing the beat of the song into eighths. Each group of three syllables corresponds to a group of eight units of time, because the backing hits are operating on a different rhythm. In the first bar ("can") we hear a hit on the third, fifth, and eighth subdivision. In the second bar ("and even") we hear a hit on the second, fourth, and seventh subdivision.

Each group of 16 repeats, so the whole line, repeated four times overall, goes like this:
ta-ka TA-ka TA-ka-ta TA-ka TA-ka TA-ka-ta TA-ka

If you can say those 16 syllables, perfectly evenly and with emphasis on the capitalized syllables, you'd be following the same rhythm as the hits. And this is all happening in the same amount of time that the words ("can - - and even") are dividing the same amount of time into six. Polyrhythms are crazy.

But of course all this theory BS is useless without a reason to include it in the song, whether it be consciously or not. I'm of the opinion that it feels like the music gets slower and more "dramatic" without actually getting slower. The syncopated beats and polyrhythm give it a stuttering feeling that lags behind the vocals. It's a nice buildup to the first big hit/drop/whatever you wanna call it.

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #362 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:00 am

Post by PJ. »

I'm glad I didn't steal your idea cause you're a music genius and I'm a pleb.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #363 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:35 am

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 362, PJ. wrote:I'm glad I didn't steal your idea cause you're a music genius and I'm a pleb.
No one says you can't do it too!

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #364 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:56 am

Post by Errantparabola »

2. Lemon Demon -- You're at the Party

Keeping with the Halloween spirit, I wanted to share this underappreciated bonus track from Neil Cicierega's fantastic album
Spirit Phone

Check this out if:

You like intense, lyrically driven electronic rock music.
This song rests on an insistent half step movement (think like the notes in the
Jaws
motif). You can hear it in the constant guitar line, the synth part, and the notes of the repeated "too late." The singer's strained, layered vocals and heavy distortion work especially well for the creepy atmosphere.

Things to look out for:

- "Eyes shut tight, never open up" seems to lead into a new melodic section but actually switches back and doesn't fully change until later
- The refrain (too late, wake up) leads seamlessly into the second verse, which has some really great lines
- The ending of the first verse "takes your hand // You don't understand, you don't understand it" is melodically same as the ending of the second "in your ear // Only you can hear, only you can hear it" but the second time the pauses are twice as long which catches listeners off guard

--implosion
provided
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #365 (ISO) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:10 am

Post by Majiffy »

Lemon Demon is the shit. He takes Oingo Boingo's weirdness and melodic nuance and applies it to Tally Hall's progpop sound
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #366 (ISO) » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:02 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

3. Mitski -- Nobody

I saw Mitski on Saturday and it was an absolutely amazing performance. Here is, in my opinion, the best introduction to her material.

Check this out if:

You like light indie rock with tasteful punchiness and floaty vocals, but also just check it out. Check out the following as well, which are my favorite of Mitski: Geyser, Why Didn't You Stop Me, Pink in the Night, First Love / Late Spring, Dan the Dancer, Once More To See You.

Things to look out for:

THE MODULATION. It made me gasp the first time I listened to it. The chord structure is really ambiguous at times which is quite cool and adds to the airy feel of the music. Listen for the synth that soars above the chorus.

Here's a long digression about theory babble that I didn't want to delete. Honestly just skip this.

Spoiler: Verse
Listen for the ambiguity of the beginning of the verse, it really takes a while for the key center to settle in. (Key center is a way of saying, where can we build our chords around, what place makes us feel the most resolved?) You might say that it solidifies somewhere in the descending motion at the beginning, but I don't think it really settles down until the guitar noodle comes in at about 0:40.

Even then it's actually hard to pin down and in my opinion it has to do with musical modes. Modes are patterns that dictate different ways we can get from one key center to the next (the same note but higher). For example Major and minor are two different modes, because C major and C minor describe two different ways to get from C to C.

It seems to me that the key is C major (C D E F G A B C) because the descending motion pivots at C, but an argument can be made for G Mixolydian, which is Major (G A B C D E F# G) with a lowered 7th note (G A B C D E F G, the F# is lowered to F), because of how it starts. At the end of the day, they use all the same notes and the only difference lies in what chords are being played under it, and I'm settling the ambiguity by saying C major makes more sense with the prechorus (which is something like Am G6 Fmaj7 C) because of the change to A minor -> C major, which is pretty unambiguous. The concrete conclusion to be made about this is really just that wow, open sounding chords are cool and the movement is floaty and fluid, which is supported by the descending motion of the whole thing.

Spoiler: Chorus
Let's talk about the chorus (nobody, nobody, nobody). So we're in C, and the first chorus is something like Dm(add9) F(over G) Cmaj7 Fmaj7.... or something like that. The takeaway is that it's a 2-5-1-4 motion (D G C F, which are the 2nd, 5th, 1st, and 4th notes in our key of C major). It's really uncentered, there's no strong sense of resolution-- I mean, the 2-5-1 is basically the most famous "turning" progression in music: it has a strong sense of movement, and adding on the 4 means the pattern kind of swings into the root and away from it again. I think that's unresolved ending is why Mitski kind of has to add a little section at the end to get back to the verse.

Also, the notes that Mitski is actually singing: she first repeats E A F, and then moves up to F B G. I think the most straightforward way to look at this is Mitski is running down a Fmaj7 and then a G7 (dominant chord). Another way to analyse it is to say that Mitski is singing the notes of a Dm(add9) and then a G7, which fits better with the chord accompaniment.

Spoiler: Modulation
Basically what's happening at 2:20 is that Mitski sings the first note of the F B G pattern, and uses that F to launch herself into the key of F major (a simple modulation done really suddenly), and then A D Bb, and then Bb E C. In that modulation, she's closing the original 2-5-1-4 motion in what I think is a really really satisfying and strong way which is what I think makes it so impactful.

In the original chorus, the piano progression is D G C F (2-5-1-4 in the key of C), and Mitski sings in a progression of D G.
In the modulated chorus, the piano progression is G C F Bb (2-5-1-4 in the key of F), and Mitski sings in a progression of G C.

The unresolved 4 note (F in C major) suddenly becomes the resolved 1 note (F in F major). It's like everything is shifted forward, which is great if you want to increase the intensity. And we're not done, because the Bb launches Mitski a half step up into the key of Gb, and she actually sings a slightly different pattern. Mitski fades away, hitting us with a solid, satisfying resolution, taking it away just as quickly, and leaving us in airy ambiguity.

--implosion
provided
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #367 (ISO) » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:03 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 363, Errantparabola wrote:
In post 362, PJ. wrote:I'm glad I didn't steal your idea cause you're a music genius and I'm a pleb.
No one says you can't do it too!
Absolutely not. Poor imitation isn't my bag.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #368 (ISO) » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:52 pm

Post by Psyche »

https://youtu.be/_2quiyHfJQw

this is a really pretty and yet also danceable song
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #369 (ISO) » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:29 pm

Post by Psyche »

im still a big fan of humanz
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #370 (ISO) » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:16 am

Post by Errantparabola »

https://soundcloud.com/mesiuepiescha/ju ... d-down-800
just sort of pick a minute somewhere in the middle and bask in it for a bit

--implosion
provided
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #371 (ISO) » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:17 am

Post by Psyche »

it’s that easy to make an m83 song
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #372 (ISO) » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:25 am

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 366, Errantparabola wrote:THE MODULATION. It made me gasp the first time I listened to it. The chord structure is really ambiguous at times which is quite cool and adds to the airy feel of the music. Listen for the synth that soars above the chorus.
thought of a good way to think about this: key changes are cool when a single note is used as pivot. for example, in Celine Dion's All By Myself cover she sings the flat 6 at 2:40, so it's like, oh, what's gonna happen? Then that note is held as the music comes back in and the pivot is now the 3rd of the new key.

In mitski the "No" at 2:12 is the 4 of C major and she uses it to pivot to F major, with the new note being the root.

Another fun example of this is in the barney theme song, where the second verse is thrust into Bb major by the pivot (G), the root note in the original key and the 6th in the new key (with additional ambiguity because the first chord played in the new key is an Eb chord). i do not know if this is also done in the original yankee doodle song but you can decide which version is more integral in the American zeitgeist

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #373 (ISO) » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:00 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhEq3qDdWE0

someone made sleep by GYBE in 8-bit

--implosion
provided
Doefulle
Doefulle
Townie
Doefulle
Townie
Townie

Post Post #374 (ISO) » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:51 pm

Post by Doefulle »

https://soundcloud.com/sera-ryu-6600793 ... useralover
It has a nice, soft calming beat. :>