Town should never quickhammer

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Town should never quickhammer

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:09 am

Post by BNL »

(Note: The topic title has been changed, it was initially "Quickhammering should be a bannable offence")

I have enough of games being destroyed by quickhammering. Sorry but I feel the need for a call for a ban on these.

First of all, I should define quickhammering. What I call quickhammering is hammering with no prior warning. It doesn't necessarily mean an intent to hammer, but can also include things like people on the wagon calling for a hammer. Also a chance for the hammeree to react to the intent must be given: an intent followed by a hammer 5 minutes later is still quickhammering.

Secondly, I don't think quickhammering is bad in all situations. I certainly don't have a problem with scum quickhammering to secure a win in LyLo, and in certain situations town can also quickhammer to secure a win. It may be necessary to quickhammer at deadline to avoid a No Lynch. Finally, sometimes accidents do happen and while this still hurts the game, it isn't entirely the player's fault.

But in normal situations, quickhammers should be viewed as a form of trolling. Why? This will be unexpected to many players. There will be people who still want to discuss things. This is especially true for the lynchee, who should be always given the final chance to say things like a claim and final reads in any situation, but also applies for people who are likely to be nightkilled. Overall, this decreases the chances for people to play the game altogether, which is really cheating the players and the mod of part of a game experience.

Here is an extreme example of the effects of quickhammering. Someone decided it'll be funny to randomly hammer a guy at L-1 early game. It turned out the guy he hammered was a key power role to the game which unlocked important information for mechanics to the game, and after that most people started to become apathetic to the game. This led to the game being
player abandoned
as a result. So not only were the players robbed of a fun game, the mod's effort into preparing the game was wasted, which is a huge insult to players and the mod.

"But if I don't quickhammer, people will start unvoting and I will not be able to lynch them again"
This sounds like you have an ego problem. If you want to lynch him use your voice to convince the crowds, and if you are unable to restart the wagon you probably shouldn't deserve to lynch them anyway.

tl;dr Quickhammering is a form of trolling and ruins games, and needs to be looked into as an offence.
Last edited by BNL on Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
Invisibility
Invisibility
he or she
Jack of All Trades
Invisibility
he or she
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he or she

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:39 am

Post by Invisibility »

quickhammering for teh lulz is going against wincon like actually
after the game is over the quickhammerer should face consequence
Invisibility is actually AWESOME!
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:43 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

Your mum should be bannable offence
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion
Pronoun: He or She. Idc.

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:01 am

Post by Elsa Jay »

The game provided as an example was... Awkward. Why would any Mod let votes from Pre-game carry over?

Also, seemed like it was more Drealm getting picked on specifically by others that lead to that, and the weird vote mechanics, not the actual hammer.

A quickhammer is a valid strategy as town or scum, as you mentioned. Some games take more conservative views, but you gotta study the player base as well so you know what your up against.

NotMaf being in game, for example, means you don't even let someone get to L-2 without expecting them to die. Going in prepared is also something you gotta do.

Sorry your fun in that game was ruined though.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:04 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

Libellous
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:14 am

Post by Elsa Jay »

It can't be Libel if it's true.

Also, hey again NotMaf. Been a long time. Looking forward to when you screw me over again.
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:10 pm

Post by Ramcius »

Well, there is way easier solution that was used in past - don't put someone at L-1, especially early game
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:57 pm

Post by BBmolla »

In post 0, BNL wrote:tl;dr Quickhammering is a form of trolling and ruins games, and needs to be looked into as an offence.
What if it works?

How do you prove a quickhammer is a quickhammer? What if a dude saw a 100% scumtell for that player and used it to hammer the player before he argued his way out of the wagon?
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
Invisibility
Invisibility
he or she
Jack of All Trades
Invisibility
he or she
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he or she

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:20 am

Post by Invisibility »

then he explains it the following day?
Invisibility is actually AWESOME!
Ramcius
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Ramcius
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:35 am

Post by Ramcius »

In post 7, BBmolla wrote:
In post 0, BNL wrote:tl;dr Quickhammering is a form of trolling and ruins games, and needs to be looked into as an offence.
What if it works?

How do you prove a quickhammer is a quickhammer? What if a dude saw a 100% scumtell for that player and used it to hammer the player before he argued his way out of the wagon?
i think only quickhammering town is bannable, quickhammering scum makes you a hero
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:23 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

doubt this'll work

"Active lurking should be a bannable offense"
"Being non-site-rule-breaking-ly rude as a strategy should be a bannable offense"
"Self-voting should be a bannable offense"

It's all just ways to play the game. They're unpleasant, and usually pro-scum, but not always both or either of those things, and sometimes they're game winning. It's playstyle, and I don't think it should be banned just for being unpopular.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:51 am

Post by Psyche »

quicklynching sucks and repeatedly seeing it happen has done a lot to turn me off from forum mafia
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
ManateeDude
ManateeDude
Mafia Scum
ManateeDude
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:02 am

Post by ManateeDude »

Quickhammerring is fun
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:00 pm

Post by mastina »

Uncaring, unthoughtful quickhammering I would argue is against the spirit of the game, regardless of alignment.

Accidental quickhammering, though unintended, unfortunately does happen and while regardless of alignment it puts the game in an awkward position, it can't be easily prevented and the presence of genuinely accidental quickhammers makes it a little harder to prove the presence of deliberate, uncaring, unthoughtful quickhammers.

Quickhammers with direct thought put into them, carefully weighed and decided, are within the spirit of the game, because the player making the quickhammer was, in their view, playing towards their wincon. However, the presence of this as a legitimate play call
also
makes it harder to prove the presence of deliberate, uncaring, unthoughtful quickhammers.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:37 am

Post by Creature »

Lynching should be a bannable offense
Sigh
Nicolas Cage
Nicolas Cage
Goon
Nicolas Cage
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:26 am

Post by Nicolas Cage »

We shouldn't lynch, we should just talk to the scum and reach a compromise to no lynch/no kill and have every game end in a draw.

That's the path of peace and friendship <3 <3 <3
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:22 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 13, mastina wrote:Uncaring, unthoughtful quickhammering I would argue is against the spirit of the game, regardless of alignment.

Accidental quickhammering, though unintended, unfortunately does happen and while regardless of alignment it puts the game in an awkward position, it can't be easily prevented and the presence of genuinely accidental quickhammers makes it a little harder to prove the presence of deliberate, uncaring, unthoughtful quickhammers.

Quickhammers with direct thought put into them, carefully weighed and decided, are within the spirit of the game, because the player making the quickhammer was, in their view, playing towards their wincon. However, the presence of this as a legitimate play call
also
makes it harder to prove the presence of deliberate, uncaring, unthoughtful quickhammers.
As a moderator, I'd really like to be able to eliminate accidental quickhammers in a way that doesn't lead to worse problems (such as continuous stupid fakehammer gambits).

I'm not sure whether eliminating intentional quickhammers would be a gain or loss; I think it depends on your playerlist. (It's probably a gain to allow scum to quickhammer in lylo, at least, but that's a special case as they don't care about being caught as long as the hammer goes through.) In smaller games (definitely Micro, probably even Mini), it'd likely be a net gain as one townie who decides to take a gamble can ruin the game for everyone else if it fails (arguably even if it succeeds, in a different way); a day 1 quickhammer is effectively adding a large amount of swing to the game.

For what it's worth, I was surprised by the "hammer rule" when I joined this site. All the places I'd played previously had a countdown to allow players to change their votes before a hammer was "locked in".

(Now this thread's got me brainstorming what Mafia without lynches would look like. Town would use night actions in an attempt to eliminate the scum, and days would end when the players voted to end the day or when deadline ran out.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Egix96
Egix96
he/him
Mafia Scum
Egix96
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:00 am

Post by Egix96 »

In post 10, Irrelephant11 wrote:doubt this'll work

"Active lurking should be a bannable offense"
"Being non-site-rule-breaking-ly rude as a strategy should be a bannable offense"
"Self-voting should be a bannable offense"

It's all just ways to play the game. They're unpleasant, and usually pro-scum, but not always both or either of those things, and sometimes they're game winning. It's playstyle, and I don't think it should be banned just for being unpopular.
Just wanna chime in and say that this is the viewpoint I agree with. How does one judge whether a quickhammer was made with unsportsmanlike intent or not? It's just arbitrary. You can't ban people for just playing the game in not-outright-illegal ways that certain people don't agree with.
In post 15, Nicolas Cage wrote:We shouldn't lynch, we should just talk to the scum and reach a compromise to no lynch/no kill and have every game end in a draw.

That's the path of peace and friendship <3 <3 <3
Some people just want to
watch the world burn
watch rocks fall and crush everyone...
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:49 am

Post by BBmolla »

The actual solution to these sort of problems is to policy lynch players who do shitty things till they stop playing
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:10 am

Post by vonflare »

I've only read the title

no
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:29 pm

Post by Elsa Jay »

In post 18, BBmolla wrote:The actual solution to these sort of problems is to policy lynch players who do shitty things till they stop playing
That seems nore lime you want to Wotc them out the game BEFORE they do something.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:30 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

In post 16, callforjudgement wrote:As a moderator, I'd really like to be able to eliminate accidental quickhammers in a way that doesn't lead to worse problems (such as continuous stupid fakehammer gambits).
I use this rule which helps a lot:
If I make a mistake in the vote-count, point it out immediately, but UNTIL I fix it, I will only acknowledge a majority if BOTH the actual vote total AND the number of additional votes after the last VC indicate a majority. To put it otherwise, nothing will get hammered if I missed counting a vote on a top wagon.
Most accidental quickhammers involve an accident in the VC ime.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:54 pm

Post by BNL »

It’s not just accidental quickhammers though. A lot of people like to quickhammer now just for the lolz.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
Ectomancer
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Ectomancer
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:27 pm

Post by Ectomancer »

In post 22, BNL wrote:It’s not just accidental quickhammers though. A lot of people like to quickhammer now just for the lolz.
That's like, just your opinion man.
I have a degree in bullshit. I have patents on entire lines of bullshit. So don't sit here and feed me a line of bullshit and think that I'm not going to recognize it as one.

This unsupported statement brought to you by the Anti-Supported Statement League of the United States and Territories (ASSLUST)
AnonymousGhost
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
AnonymousGhost
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:35 am

Post by AnonymousGhost »

Making quick hammering a bannable offense is too subjective and allows for too much moderator influence into the game. It's like making it a bannable or mod-killable offense for starting a policy lynch on a player.

If someone is known to quick hammer for the lulz, then like Elsa said the rest of the players can adjust - whether by keeping someone at L-2 or lynching the quick hammerer from the start.

Considering it is a strategic move, I'd say just leave it alone for players to handle.
Talk Fast, Think Faster

BE LOUD! BE PROUD! BE ANTI-TOWN!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”