Mornington Crescent (2011 East ruleset, golden pockets)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Mornington Crescent (2011 East ruleset, golden pockets)

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:20 pm

Post by xyzzy »

it's been a bit since there was a Mornington Crescent match here on site, so I thought I'd start one up. now, before we begin, I'd like to avoid any whinging about the 2011 East ruleset -- I get that some people feel that 2016 East is better in terms of balance, and it's true that 2011 East is a swingier game, but it's better for asynchronous online play with people dropping into the game partway through. also, we'll be playing with the "golden pockets" variant -- for those who aren't familiar, it's a relatively new concept in the players' leagues in a few cities on the East Coast in the US. you can check the website for the 2018 Boston Open for details on the differences, but the biggest thing to keep in mind if you don't feel like reading the whole thing is that it removes the Parsonage mechanic entirely, replacing it with a flowchart based on how everyone is performing so far. there's a forthcoming version 2.2 that will change several branches of the flowchart to include new material, and we should be able to switch to that pretty effortlessly once that comes out.

now, keep in mind that a lot of strategies you might be familiar with if you've played more with the Forrester ruleset aren't valid here. I get that playing in real time on Twitch and whatnot is all the rage these days, but if you're planning on trying something like the Rectory Road Hop, you'll probably be disappointed, because play by post is a game that demands much greater thought from players. no shade if that's your jam, just know that this is a more high-minded pursuit.

-----

Irrelephant11 kindly asked to include the following reference materials in the OP, and I am pleased to oblige:
Spoiler:
Last edited by xyzzy on Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:21 pm

Post by xyzzy »

for my first move,
Holborn
to
Knightsbridge
, naming 12 acres on teal. (I know I'm gonna get a lot of guff for such a conservative opening move, but I know what I'm about!)
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #3 (isolation #2) » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:22 pm

Post by xyzzy »

In post 2, Xalxe wrote:right now there's sort of a massive gap between the perceived and actual value to performing an Interchange, not to mention a wildly unbalanced value for several stations on the Jubilee Circuit.
I would argue that Interchanges were OP as all hell before -- sure, they're weaker, but that doesn't mean they're worse for the overall health of the game. you're not wrong about the Jubilee Circuit, but imo the other benefits make up for that deficiency.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #5 (isolation #3) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:51 am

Post by xyzzy »

Moore's treatise on the Phipps to Morden opening has been discredited for years by everyone with the experience to have a worthwhile opinion on the matter. it's not a bad opening move, but Moore's laughable attempt at a proof has far too many flaws in its logic to be taken as a reliable source.

I take
Knightsbridge
to
Barons Court
and stop for a
Cup of Tea
, granting me +6
Inspiration
for my next 5 turns and draw three cards from the
Piccadilly Deck
. I'll play the second card I drew face down and folded inward.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #9 (isolation #4) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:37 am

Post by xyzzy »

I've put those images in the OP, Irrelephant11. that'll be a nice resource to help any newbies follow along.

vonflare, you tease, you aren't taking Moore's opening at all, are you? nicely played. I'm excited to see how you roll with those Winds of Magic die -- you're basically guaranteed to either do exceptionally well or exceptionally poorly, and either one will be quite fun to watch. as for that Thursday soup move, not a bad play -- I think I tend to undervalue temporal resource collection.

I've got a neat strategy planned with the
Cup of Tea
-- trust me, I know what I'm doing taking that so early :)

for my next move I head back to
South Kensington
, where thanks to my boosted
Inspiration
, I can switch to the District line, going to
Temple
. I put the first of the cards I drew last turn down, flip it, and reverse it.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #19 (isolation #5) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:28 pm

Post by xyzzy »

using dice tags instead of using real, physical dice? how gauche. please, vonflare, we're all adults, no one is going to accuse you of cheating if you have a slightly higher than average roll.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #21 (isolation #6) » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:04 am

Post by xyzzy »

once again, thanks to my boosted
Inspiration
, I can head over from
Temple
to the
Bank
and
Monument
interchange, finally heading back to my starting point of
Holborn
. I will then put my final card down face up, which allows me to draw two more cards and spin the
Big Wheel

for those not keeping track, my
Cup of Tea
has allowed me to visit four separate lines (Central, Circle, District, and Piccadilly) in just two turns without ever having to leave Zone 1. I just have to make my way over to
Paddington
without leaving Zone 1 sometime in my next three turns (which, again, I still have 3 turns of
Inspiration
, so that should be no problem), and I can receive a permanent
Kind and Polite
bonus. now does my decision to get the
Cup of Tea
so early make sense?
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #29 (isolation #7) » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:20 pm

Post by xyzzy »

Holborn
to
Marble Arch
, realize I've
gone too far
, and then to
Oxford Circus
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #34 (isolation #8) » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:38 pm

Post by xyzzy »

In post 32, NotAJumbleOfNumbers wrote:is it too late to /in now
not at all! that's why I went with 2011 East for this game, because it's especially easy for players to drop into the game at any point and remain relatively at parity with the other players. many rulesets allow for players to join partway through the game, but 2011 East is explicitly designed such that players who weren't in the game can catch up. obviously, the flow of the game will depend on the choices other players have made, but generally any tactically sound play will result in a gamestate that allows folks to join in partway through without any hassle.

Invisibility, I've gathered my
personal information
into an
Express Packet
, which should arrive at whichever station you're at in 3-5 business days. I figured someone would pull that ploy pretty early, but I wasn't expecting it from you if I'm being honest. tbh, I don't know how much info you'll gain -- it should be pretty apparent to anyone who's been following the game what card I played with my Missy Elliott Maneuver.

Oxford Circus
to
Paddington
-- I collect the
Kind and Polite
bonus.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”